Gennaro Gattuso Thread

When is the first clash between Gattuso and Zamparini?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Stop over-thinking it.

At the end of the day, the team finished 1 point behind the last CL spot whether you like it or not. I'm not talking about whether Gattuso's tactics were of a good enough quality to qualify for the 'concept' of Europe's premier competition. But in a year when Roma, Lazio and Inter under-achieved, 4th was certainly not an unrealistic outcome and the team played good enough to reach it (had it not been for draws against relegation fodder - but whose fault is it that freakin' Higuain couldn't score a goal unless it was covered in Nutella?)

Let me use your argument against you. We didn't play good enough to finish 4th: We're 1 point behind CL spot, if you like it or not.

Now you blame mainly the players and their individual errors. I blame the coach and his inadept tactics to create more goal scoring opportunities than our opponents – and much more –, from which some have been relegation teams.

That's the difference between your and my opinion. Can we agree on that?

Stop

I don't recall saying that Atalanta weren't good enough for a top-4 finish. Do you?

I literally wrote that I use the Atalanta case as an example to make a point, smartass. Do you even read?

Again. Never said they played well...but still good enough to finish 4th.

Again. We didn't. We're 5th, not 4th.

:fp::fp::fp::fp::fp:

Thank you for explaining basic footballing concepts to me. My next question is how many minutes are there in match? Is a football round?

Now it's you just being a prick.

Hondayum

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
SEEDORF, Maldini, Sheva, Rino, Pirlo, Nesta, Kaka, Pippo, Baggio, Vieri, Totti
Let me use your argument against you. We didn't play good enough to finish 4th: We're 1 point behind CL spot, if you like it or not.

Fair enough. But I don't count a separation of 1 point as being outclassed by the teams that did eventually qualify for the spot. In my opinion, they were good enough.

Now you blame mainly the players and their individual errors. I blame the coach and his inadept tactics to create more goal scoring opportunities than our opponents – and much more –, from which some have been relegation teams.

That's the difference between your and my opinion. Can we agree on that?

Games that Milan clearly fucked up:
  • 27/9: Empoli 0-0 Milan (Empoli 3 shots, Milan 24 shots)
  • 18/12: Bologna 0-0 Milan (Bologna 9 shots, Milan 18 shots) - Bakayoko also got sent off in this one, so I guess that was also Rino's fault in your opinion? :fp:
  • 22/12: Milan 0-1 Fiorentina (Milan 13 shots, Fiorentina 8)
  • 26/12: Frosinone 0-0 Milan (Frosinone 13 shots, Milan 25 shots)
  • 2/4: Milan 1-1 Udinese (Milan 18 shots, Udinese 7)

Players can't score goals despite getting mostly twice as many shots against the fodder above and it's Gattuso's fault :lol:

I literally wrote that I use the Atalanta case as an example to make a point, smartass. Do you even read?

Do you? Who's talking about Atalanta?

Now it's you just being a prick.

I tend to be rude towards condescending people :D

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
Thank you, Rino.

You're a great man.

Pure class, all heart. What a man.

Super22

Wonderkid
Reaction score
I have no doubt Gattuso will be a great coach in the future but as of now he need to improve tactically, especially the attacking aspect. The players are often too static and doesn't seem to have any kind of strategy or understanding.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
  • 27/9: Empoli 0-0 Milan (Empoli 3 shots, Milan 24 shots)
  • 18/12: Bologna 0-0 Milan (Bologna 9 shots, Milan 18 shots) - Bakayoko also got sent off in this one, so I guess that was also Rino's fault in your opinion? :fp:
  • 22/12: Milan 0-1 Fiorentina (Milan 13 shots, Fiorentina 8)
  • 26/12: Frosinone 0-0 Milan (Frosinone 13 shots, Milan 25 shots)
  • 2/4: Milan 1-1 Udinese (Milan 18 shots, Udinese 7)

Players can't score goals despite getting mostly twice as many shots against the fodder above and it's Gattuso's fault :lol:

I haven't been following your discussion with whoever you are talking with but just wanted to say thanks for this post. I have always agreed that Rino isn't a top coach yet, but I also always thought he did more than well enough for top 4 and that the blame lies with the players primarily and not him. Awesome post and thx again :thumbsup:

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME

Cagliari 1 - 1 Milan
Milan 2 - 2 Atalanta
Empoli 1 - 1 Milan
Milan 0 - 0 Torino
Bologna 0 - 0 Milan
Milan 0 - 1 Fiorentina
Frosinone 0 - 0 Milan
Milan 1 - 1 Udinese

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score

Cagliari 1 - 1 Milan
Milan 2 - 2 Atalanta
Empoli 1 - 1 Milan
Milan 0 - 0 Torino
Bologna 0 - 0 Milan
Milan 0 - 1 Fiorentina
Frosinone 0 - 0 Milan
Milan 1 - 1 Udinese

Napoli 3 - 2 AC Milan, first game of the season. 2-0 up and gave away 3 goals, two really stupid ones as well.

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado

Cagliari 1 - 1 Milan
Milan 2 - 2 Atalanta
Empoli 1 - 1 Milan
Milan 0 - 0 Torino
Bologna 0 - 0 Milan
Milan 0 - 1 Fiorentina
Frosinone 0 - 0 Milan
Milan 1 - 1 Udinese

Napoli 3 - 2 AC Milan, first game of the season. 2-0 up and gave away 3 goals, two really stupid ones as well.

If Milan didn’t fuck up any of those matches... they would have magically finished 2nd

If we go through every team in the top 4 of the league, every one of them have a heap of matches they “fucked up”

This isn’t really helpful to look at the past this way and if you do, it’s probably better to really hone in on a few key moments like Donna’s fuck up

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
If Milan didn’t fuck up any of those matches... they would have magically finished 2nd

If we go through every team in the top 4 of the league, every one of them have a heap of matches they “fucked up”

This isn’t really helpful to look at the past this way and if you do, it’s probably better to really hone in on a few key moments like Donna’s fuck up

True that. Everyone around us fucked up except Atalanta, who finished on par with what was expected. I mean Roma and Lazio fucked up worse and finished lower than us, while Inter 1pt ahead also had spells of being absolute shit.

All in all, end table is fair representation of how the season went. Just frustrating that so many points were thrown away due to stupid little things like Bruno fuckhead Alvez. :lol:

Mr. Tea

Ac Milan Icon
Reaction score
True that. Everyone around us fucked up except Atalanta, who finished on par with what was expected. I mean Roma and Lazio fucked up worse and finished lower than us, while Inter 1pt ahead also had spells of being absolute shit.

All in all, end table is fair representation of how the season went. Just frustrating that so many points were thrown away due to stupid little things like Bruno fuckhead Alvez. :lol:

Haunting free kick

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Apparently he has turned down the Genoa job. That could only be because he has a better option that could turn up?

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I miss him so much <3

We should've continued with him for another year at least. Team was reinforced for this season and I'm sure we'd catch that CL spot after missing out with one lousy point.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
He walked man. He wasn’t fired.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I guess so, but me thinks if Milan really wanted to keep him he'd stay.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I guess so, but me thinks if Milan really wanted to keep him he'd stay.

I think he disagreed with Elliot / Gazidis' vision of Milan. He felt that we needed veterans to balance out the youth we have and if they were not going to give him that then he would rather walk.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think he disagreed with Elliot / Gazidis' vision of Milan. He felt that we needed veterans to balance out the youth we have and if they were not going to give him that then he would rather walk.

I see no signs of this.

Leo was the one he had the main beef with.
And it was Leo who tried to bring Ibra here.

Rino didn't seem like he wanted Ibra added to his mix. He has always alluded to and sometimes even asserted that Ibra is "annoying" and possibly harmful to the group dynamic. He said it while they were teammates, and he said something similar last year. Why would he do that in the middle of negotiations if the club is trying to convince him to come to Milan? He only said nice things about Ibra when the journalist presented to Rino a message of support from him. That's where all the "Gattuso welcomes Ibra" headlines come from.

Also, if we are to trust Boban, it was Modric's will to stay at RM that put a stop to that move, not Gazidis or Elliot.

I think what convinced Rino to resign was the criticism and what he felt was too high expectations. He was keeping himself awake at night and putting himself in constant pressure - for what? Just to see his work go completely unappreciated and just to see his old fans turn against him? That must've been very demotivating. The money wasn't worth it.

He is seen in a more positive light now that Giampaolo has made him look like a miracle worker.
It wouldn't surprise me if that has motivated him to come back.

Do I want him back? Not as long as Suso's still here.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rino fell out with Leonardo after the derby defeat. He was never told 4th spot was a target till that point, and did not like how that suddenly became an imperative after one defeat, with the management conveniently forgetting that 4th spot looked quite unlikely before we went on that great run that ended with the derby.

He did not think a mandatory 4th spot is possible with the squad that he has (I completely agree with him here), and the management also made it clear they wouldn't be spending much in the summer window.

So he walked rather than besmirch his reputation further while working in these implausible circumstances. Of course there were personal issues as well at play - Leonardo and Rino never liked each other for obvious reasons. Rino decided to leave the club after the derby defeat.

All of this is my interpretation from his press conferences, articles etc. Pretty sure it's true.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Rino fell out with Leonardo after the derby defeat. He was never told 4th spot was a target till that point, and did not like how that suddenly became an imperative after one defeat, with the management conveniently forgetting that 4th spot looked quite unlikely before we went on that great run that ended with the derby.

He did not think a mandatory 4th spot is possible with the squad that he has (I completely agree with him here), and the management also made it clear they wouldn't be spending much in the summer window.

So he walked rather than besmirch his reputation further while working in these implausible circumstances. Of course there were personal issues as well at play - Leonardo and Rino never liked each other for obvious reasons. Rino decided to leave the club after the derby defeat.

All of this is my interpretation from his press conferences, articles etc. Pretty sure it's true.

Sounds accurate enough. And a fair bit worrying.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
He was keeping himself awake at night and putting himself in constant pressure - for what? Just to see his work go completely unappreciated and just to see his old fans turn against him? That must've been very demotivating. The money wasn't worth it.

Sad how some fans treated him, everybody always criticized him for not being able to attack and create chances, and that's fair, but defense with a team like this is far more important. We don't have world beaters in attack so it's best to be a unit, defend excellently and slowly develop a good and consistent attacking shape. Not to mention we had a big injury to jack early on and no real left winger yet somehow Rino made it work solely due to charisma and instilling Milan pride into the players who looked like they were playing for something last year. Now it just looks like they're performing a job that they're not excited to show up for and creating faaaar less chances than any Rino lineup ever did...

I've said it so many times already but why fire the guy unless you are locking down an absolute top coach? So insulting to him and yet he is nothing but class to Milan..

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Sad how some fans treated him, everybody always criticized him for not being able to attack and create chances, and that's fair, but defense with a team like this is far more important. We don't have world beaters in attack so it's best to be a unit, defend excellently and slowly develop a good and consistent attacking shape. Not to mention we had a big injury to jack early on and no real left winger yet somehow Rino made it work solely due to charisma and instilling Milan pride into the players who looked like they were playing for something last year. Now it just looks like they're performing a job that they're not excited to show up for and creating faaaar less chances than any Rino lineup ever did...

I've said it so many times already but why fire the guy unless you are locking down an absolute top coach? So insulting to him and yet he is nothing but class to Milan..

Yep, Gattuso actually overachieved with the squad he had.
He was weak tactics wise but at least the players gave their all.
He acted professional and took all the blame.

Miss him. <3

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma

I am guilty of mistreating him. My infinite bad and I was wrong for it.
I wanted better for Milan but instead of getting better we have regressed....with a much better squad. With this squad, we'd definitely have had more wins.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Gras is never greener on the other side.

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
A coach isn’t a miracle worker....I think around 90% of success on field is down to the quality of the players. A good coach can add the icing on the cake per se, with a good tactical game plan, motivating and adding a winning mentality, or getting the players extremely fit and hardworking, but the foundations will always be the players.

Gattuso was indeed perfect for motivating a group of young inexperienced players (along with a healthy dose of rubbish and mediocre players) and setting us up to be hard to score against. He even had us building the play really well from the back, but the lack of quality, speed and physicality of the attacking players saw so many plays breakdown or slow down and not result in enough chances created from the foundation that our buildup play gave.

You can criticize his tactics in a couple one off games, but overall he did the best with what he could and over a season, the tru quality of his players and squad showed. No amount of motivation, fitness or tactical work will last long enough to hide the flaws of the players for a whole season.

Gattuso managed to make a squad almost reach top 4 without any ss/wingers/inside forwards, Suso who performs for 3 months a season, literally 2 CMs for a large part of the season (Kessie and Bakayoko when Biglia got injured), one of which isn’t a natural anchor who actually performed decently due to his coaching and teaching, losing his only midfielder capable of scoring or creating in Jack for the whole season and somehow getting them almost 70 points. Not to mention losing your star striker in January and then having to change, and then getting a young Brazilian import mid season (and both performed better in their first few months than they are now)

That is an achievement that he deserves credit for that many overlook. Until we get rid of rubbish mediocre pussy mentality players, no matter who the coach is they will suffer under the expectations of managing Milan.

That being said, Giampaolo isn’t a motivator and is one of those philosopher type coaches. He is the exact wrong type of coach we need in our circumstances and we may well need to fire him. He doesn’t have the tools he needs to implement what he wants and doesn’t seem adaptable to the mediocrity that we have.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
hat being said, Giampaolo isn’t a motivator and is one of those philosopher type coaches.

Yeah, I bet he's good at FIFA and FM

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Gras is never greener on the other side.

Not sure about grass, but results speak for themselves.

Gattuso finished top 4 during his half a season here.
GP is 1 point off relegation zone.

GP also has an 80 million worth of signings.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure about grass, but results speak for themselves.

Gattuso finished top 4 during his half a season here.
GP is 1 point off relegation zone.

GP also has an 80 million worth of signings.
I’ve always been pro Rino. Even his talks made tactical sense.
But
Half season isn’t here yet and Rino team had some sloppy times.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
People are immovable idiots at times.

Some slate the manager before he even has a competitive game and never move from that position.

I'd much rather be a 'kool aid drinking booby charlatan' than one of those, tbh, but even the boobies aren't perfect.

Vms

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zlatan
I already miss this guy