Final - Spain (1) vs. Netherlands (0), AET - July 11th

Which team will win the World Cup?

• Total voters

dev1L

Milan Legend
Reaction score
looking at that video no one would say that they lost in WC final, it's like they won it :D

idiot Pique

Reaction score
Robben speaks of pain over final miss

World Cup 2010: Arjen Robben haunted by memories of final miss

The Dutch World Cup squad pose with Queen Beatrix at Noordeinde Palace in The Hague during a day of celebrations in Holland dedicated to the tournament runners-up.

Arjen Robben has admitted he is being haunted by memories of his World Cup final miss. The Holland winger went through one-on-one with the Spain goalkeeper Iker Casillas in the 61st minute but saw his shot saved by the Spanish captain.

Andrés Iniesta later scored in extra time to win the match 1-0. It would have been a very different story if Robben could have found the net, a thought that has been nagging the Bayern Munich player since.

"On a day like today, I think about it a lot," Robben said as the Dutch team visited the prime minister Jan Peter Balkenende and Queen Beatrix to be honoured for reaching the final. "It hurts to miss such a chance."

The team's coach, Bert van Marwijk, who has been heavily criticised for his negative tactics in the match, was nevertheless knighted – along with the captain Giovanni van Bronckhorst – for taking the team as far as he did.

Even so, he too was not in a mood for celebration. "It is increasingly going through my head, we were so close," he told AD Sportwereld. "We had to win."

However, the prime minister said the team could be proud of their achievements, and pointed to the unity they had shown in contrast to recent Dutch teams at major international competitions.

"The Dutch team had balance," he said. "They were a strong team, mentally and physically. It was a team that was close and harmonious. It was a disciplined collective with a mission, with full resilience, fighting spirit and confidence.

"Look how far that attitude brought us. That is worth a great compliment, to the players and also to the staff, led by Bert van Marwijk. It had an impact on the country. Oranje was one, and the Netherlands stood as one behind Oranje."

The events were part of a day of celebrations, beginning in The Hague this morning before the team headed to Amsterdam for a boat tour and open-air party this afternoon.

More... :star: :star: :star:

Reaction score
Ref Webb defends display in final

Ref Webb defends display in final

No regrets for Howard Webb after final

(De Jong sees yellow for 'Kung-Fu' tackle) :star:

English referee Howard Webb says he has no regrets over his handling of Sunday's World Cup final between Spain and the Netherlands.

Webb was criticised in some quarters after booking 13 players including the sending off John Heitinga in a match marred by frequent foul play.

"We felt satisfied that we'd done a tough job in difficult circumstances to the best of our abilities," he said.

"It was an extremely challenging match to handle."

Dutch coach Bert van Marwijk, who saw eight of his players pick up bookings, was unhappy with Webb's performance at Soccer City in Johannesburg.

But the highly physical approach of the Netherlands players has also been criticised and many within the English game have been quick to jump to the Yorkshireman's defence, while Fifa boss Sepp Blatter acknowledged that the players had made life difficult for the officials.

Webb and his assistants Darren Cann and Michael Mullarkey arrived home from South Africa on Tuesday to a barrage of media interest in their performance in the final.

"Whatever the match, you always hope that the officials won't need to be heavily involved. However, we had to raise our profile in order to keep control," Webb added in a statement released through the Premier League.

"We don't feel that we had much choice except to manage the game in the way we did.

"From early on in the match we had to make decisions that were clear yellow cards.

"We tried to apply some common sense officiating given the magnitude of the occasion for both sides - advising players early on for some of their tackling, sending players away when they were surrounding the officials, and speaking to their senior colleagues to try to calm them down.

"It is one of the toughest games we will ever be involved in and we feel that we worked hard to keep the focus on the football as much as possible."

Webb has also been praised by the Football Association for his performance in the game.

Jonathan Hall, the FA's director on the Professional Game Match Officials Board, said; "Firstly, we would like to congratulate Howard Webb, Mike Mullarkey and Darren Cann for a wonderful tournament and a very well-handled final in very difficult circumstances.

"Nothing should take away from Howard's achievement and it is hard to imagine many other officials being able to match his performance or handle such a fixture so well.

"I think what this does do is strengthen our resolve to support our excellent network of referees in England and it also shows the real value of the work being undertaken by the Respect programme domestically.

"We are all thoroughly proud of the fact Fifa chose to recognise Howard at the very peak of his profession."

Webb became the fourth Englishman to take charge of the crowning game in world football following Jack Taylor (1974), Bill Ling (1954) and George Reader (1950).

more...

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
World Cup 2010: Arjen Robben haunted by memories of final miss

The Dutch World Cup squad pose with Queen Beatrix at Noordeinde Palace in The Hague during a day of celebrations in Holland dedicated to the tournament runners-up.

Arjen Robben has admitted he is being haunted by memories of his World Cup final miss. The Holland winger went through one-on-one with the Spain goalkeeper Iker Casillas in the 61st minute but saw his shot saved by the Spanish captain.

Andrés Iniesta later scored in extra time to win the match 1-0. It would have been a very different story if Robben could have found the net, a thought that has been nagging the Bayern Munich player since.

"On a day like today, I think about it a lot," Robben said as the Dutch team visited the prime minister Jan Peter Balkenende and Queen Beatrix to be honoured for reaching the final. "It hurts to miss such a chance."

The team's coach, Bert van Marwijk, who has been heavily criticised for his negative tactics in the match, was nevertheless knighted – along with the captain Giovanni van Bronckhorst – for taking the team as far as he did.

Even so, he too was not in a mood for celebration. "It is increasingly going through my head, we were so close," he told AD Sportwereld. "We had to win."

However, the prime minister said the team could be proud of their achievements, and pointed to the unity they had shown in contrast to recent Dutch teams at major international competitions.

"The Dutch team had balance," he said. "They were a strong team, mentally and physically. It was a team that was close and harmonious. It was a disciplined collective with a mission, with full resilience, fighting spirit and confidence.

"Look how far that attitude brought us. That is worth a great compliment, to the players and also to the staff, led by Bert van Marwijk. It had an impact on the country. Oranje was one, and the Netherlands stood as one behind Oranje."

The events were part of a day of celebrations, beginning in The Hague this morning before the team headed to Amsterdam for a boat tour and open-air party this afternoon.

More... :star: :star: :star:

Hope the prick drowns in his tears.

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
lool, Javi (who ever that is) sounds like the only one who is aware what they achieved. All other ideas sound zzzzZzzzz.

Whats with the extreme robben hate in here?? smh @ you dudez

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
OptaJoao
3547 - Spain have now made more successful passes in a #worldcup than any team since 1966, surpassing Brazil from 94 (3547). Spread

OptaJoe
66 - Spain scored fewer goals (8), had fewer shots on target (35) & a lower conversion rate (8.1%) than any #worldcup winner since '66. Lows

dev1L

Milan Legend
Reaction score
2poa5oz.jpg

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lugano, Raí, Rogério Ceni, Ambrosini, Gattuso
Certain members (read: Sam and, to an extent, Calum) will love this review :D

Great and true text.

It's funny how some people love to compare Spain with Brazil and Italy and actually this text tells a lot about the people who loves Spain and blame Italy.

Isn't Italy a dirty football that only knows about defending and winning with the minimum score needed? Well... they have 4 titles and Italy couldn't score more than in any of the years the azurra was champion? Shame on you, beautiful football, shame on you!

But to sum up this conversation, if you don't wanna believe on me, the guy of the text or anyone in this forum, at least you gotta believe on Queen.

I've paid my dues
Time after time
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime
And bad mistakes
I've made a few
and I've had my share of sand
Kicked in my face
But I've come through
And I need to go on and on and on and on

We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fightin' till the end
We are the champions
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions of the world

I've taken my bows
And my curtain calls
You've brought me fame and fortune
And everything that goes with it
I thank you all
But it's been no bed of roses no pleasure cruise
and I consider it a challenge before the whole human race
That I ain't gonna lose
And I need to go on and on and on and on

We are the champions
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions of the world

We are the champions
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions

Based on this amazing lyric we all need to conclude that Spain can't say "we are the champions".

The only part of this song that apply to Spain is "I've had my share of sand kicked in my face" and that's only because their players tried to eat south-african grass. Then people complain that there's no food in Africa. Spain didn't help it at all.

"We're the champions and w'll keep on fighting till the end" would be more than enough to take away spanish title but Freddy Mercury sings a whole and complete proof that Spain doesn't deserve it.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
capitao you're such a hater :D

spain are well deserved champions.

Schedule