Michael Essien Thread

How long before Essien starts performing and much adoration happens in this thread?

• February

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • March

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • April

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • May

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Never. Not a clever signing at all.

Votes: 46 56.8%

• Total voters

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
This has MvB all over it. Everyone hating on the signing and by the end of the season everyone will be calling him boss. You just watch!

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
I would prefer him over Muntari. Let him back up De Jong.

If the wagew is right I dont hate it

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
AC Milan News ‏@Milanello

Essien won't join Milan on loan. Galliani and the player's agents have been talking about a permanent deal to June 30, 2015.

Essien's agent and the intermediary have travelled back to London. They will meet with Chelsea tomorrow.

Galliani and Essien's agents want Chelsea to release the player for free. Further talks tomorrow.

Wake the Dead

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Kaka, Sheva, Abbiati, Gattuso

Essien won't join Milan on loan. Galliani and the player's agents have been talking about a permanent deal to June 30, 2015.

Essien's agent and the intermediary have travelled back to London. They will meet with Chelsea tomorrow.

Galliani and Essien's agents want Chelsea to release the player for free. Further talks tomorrow.

:g:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score

That means Essien will be here long term...

fuck.gif

tonyb

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo, Sheva, Maldini, Kaka, Zlatan, Zola
Hopefully we aren't stupid enough to let De Jong go with interest from Liverpool.
Considering how poorly we defend, in the right circumstances this can be a smart buy.
Alongside De Jong, that's as good a protection as we can expect at the minute.

Abate-Rami-???--Abate
De Jong----Essien----
----------Monto-----------
----Kaka----Honda-----
---------Balo--------------

It'll allow Montolivo the freedom to push forward and use his passing to better effect. We've clearly lacked that final killer pass lately. He's smart/capable enough to know when to push back and help out defensively.

Essien know his job very well. Like MVB, but MVB was a great passer too.
Abate and De Sciglio will be urged to push on more with that protection of De Jong and Essien.

taura

Attaccareeee
Reaction score
regarding essien's low playing time this season..mou obivously has no plans for him, they've got loads of other players that can play cdms which i suppose mourinho trusts more so thats why he doesnt play at all..but looking at 12/13 season at real madrid:
Michael Essien was part of the club's lineup 28 times. He was 19 times in the starting team, got substituted in 2 time(s) and stayed on the bench 7 time(s).
12 times played a cdm, 5 times as rb and twice as lb. thats for la liga..as for ucl:
Michael Essien was part of the club's lineup 8 times. He was 6 times in the starting team, got substituted in 1 time(s) and stayed on the bench 1 time(s).
played against borussia 3 times, twice against galatasaray, and once against man utd, ajax and man city. 3 appearances as rb, one as lb, one as cm and two as cdm.
copa del rey:
Michael Essien was part of the club's lineup 7 times. He was 6 times in the starting team, got substituted in 1 time(s).

so he got a total of 2689 playing minutes, scored 2 goals, got one assist, 7 yellow cards and made a total of 35 appearances.
and he might be injury prone or whatever but his last injury was back in december 2011. since then he had a successful second part of the season with chelsea and an injury-free season with real madrid...

anyways he's waaaay better then muntari..essien comes, we offload muntari and voila! :D

Last edited:

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
^nice info

So pumped :devil: :devil: :devil:

Kasoka

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Shevchenko, Gattuso, Ambrosini
July 2014. Nocerino returns from loan, as does anyone who has been loaned out. Essien is still here, since Galliani decided to buy him outright instead of loaning him. Galliani complains about having a 32 players squad and says we can't buy anyone because of that. One year later Milan as always still has around 30 players in the squad.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
He was half the forum's dream signing 2 years back. He has certainly declined, but is still a tremendous upgrade over Nocerino or Muntari and will be useful at least for the Atletico first leg where we don't have Montolivo.

Further, he's a pretty good makeshift fullback - he played that role as much as a midfielder role for Madrid last season.

Having said that, I think there's a clear danger of him picking up injuries himself over the rest of the season. Will have to be used wisely.

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
he was half the forum's dream signing 2 years back. He has certainly declined, but is still a tremendous upgrade over nocerino or muntari and will be useful at least for the atletico first leg where we don't have montolivo.

Further, he's a pretty good makeshift fullback - he played that role as much as a midfielder role for madrid last season.

Having said that, i think there's a clear danger of him picking up injuries himself over the rest of the season. Will have to be used wisely.

Sovilhelm

Maestro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Dinho, Ronaldo, Seedorf, Gattuso, T.Silva, Beckham, ZLATAN
nice now we can do double Muntari one right one left, shots blasting for 90mins

Ratzaroony

Kaka Fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Inzaghi, Maldini, Kaka, Van Basten, Sheva, Antonini, Nesta, Ibra, Oddo, Donnarumma
He was half the forum's dream signing 2 years back. He has certainly declined, but is still a tremendous upgrade over Nocerino or Muntari and will be useful at least for the Atletico first leg where we don't have Montolivo.

Further, he's a pretty good makeshift fullback - he played that role as much as a midfielder role for Madrid last season.

Having said that, I think there's a clear danger of him picking up injuries himself over the rest of the season. Will have to be used wisely.

2 years is a long time when you're 30+. I'm worried about what his wages will be / how they are structured. We could run into a situation where we need to get his wages off the books but can't find a buyer.

Solid player for sure, but I would rather sign someone a bit younger. Fernando is not amazing, but I'd rather have Fernando than Essien. Although Essien would be great for the locker room...

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
He also needs to learn italian too. Although he knows english and french and we have quite a few players who can speak those two language, so hopefully he can adapt quickly and start performing.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
@Ratz - Who's saying he hasn't declined? Question is whether he is still an upgrade over a Nocerino or a Muntari. I'm pretty confident that he is. Such a classy player can't lose it all so quickly.

Naraku

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Well IF he is going to be free, cannot really complain I suppose.

Reaction score
To be honest I think you're being a bit harsh on Essien.
He was great in pre-season for Chelsea and a lot of Chelsea fans were surprised Essien wasn't starting. He excelled against Egypt with a breathtaking display in the first leg. He was tremendous (MOTM) against Arsenal in the FA Cup.

When he finally got a start in the EPL he messed up with a bad first touch and never recovered from that. In his second start in the EPL he was very good and showed flashes of his old self (not to mention Essien has found a liking for dribbling and was really showing off in that game).

So basically Essien has had one poor game all season and suddenly people claim he's a washout. I see him more as a victim of Mourinho's policies like Mata.

And in all honesty Essien's passing is very very good plus he's a diabolically intelligent player. Stark upgrade from anything Milan has in midfield.

In all honesty maybe all he needs is a decent run to regain form. And I expect him to exert himself additionally in the big games. Naturally he won't be world class, but I still can see him being a very positive surprise when given a chance to play in his favoured position.

Last edited:

Miss Stardust

The Snow Queen
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Kaka, Gerrard, Inzaghi, El Sharaawy, Iker Casillas, Cristiano Ronaldo.
The only reason we are buying Essein is because Muntari and Montolivo won't be available for the CL match against Atletico. So I think this is a good idea by Galliani. In Summer, hopefully he will leave.

Sorriso Sempre

Milan Legend
Reaction score

agree with your post but since he is a risk(due to injuries) wth dont we try for banega, i mean he is a risk too but other than that he is better in almost everything compared to essies atm.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
July 2014. Nocerino returns from loan, as does anyone who has been loaned out. Essien is still here, since Galliani decided to buy him outright instead of loaning him. Galliani complains about having a 32 players squad and says we can't buy anyone because of that. One year later Milan as always still has around 30 players in the squad.

grazie italian billy beane :gt:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
agree with your post but since he is a risk(due to injuries) wth dont we try for banega, i mean he is a risk too but other than that he is better in almost everything compared to essies atm.

Very different player, isn't Banega? We really really need someone strong in defense. Banega is a creator of moves.

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score

Mourinho: "Essien is in a position at the moment where he can go or stay. We are more than happy for him to stay."

Mourinho: "Essien is a great club man. Another player who has given everything for this club."

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
galliani should adopt the benny hill theme and wear t shirts with a dog tail chasing

come on barbara, finish him already

Sorriso Sempre

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Very different player, isn't Banega? We really really need someone strong in defense. Banega is a creator of moves.

ofc he is a creator very similar to modric but probably you havent seen his tackling and positioning(ask pirlo and seedorf for these back in 2007)

but the question is why do we need a strong defender??dont we have a certain NDJ who defensively is a beast.his problem is his decision making when his got the ball and his attacking play overall.if we need a strong defender i think ndj is gonna be starter for sure.and then buying essien just for 1 cl game and giving him 2 years contract??

if you ask me we should play as RM with both modric and xabi alonso since our problem is creativity and keeping the ball running in final third we need more someone like modric than essien.we have similar to xabi alonso montolivo and cristante.if we need someone like modric banega is ideal for his price(if you dont consider the risk factor).but again if the management believes our need is someone like essien fernando etc why didnt we go for nainggolan who is firing in all cylinders right now and we are going after past-WC essien??

same old $hit again and again from tumor called :g:

and dont all say after essien plays some good games that :g: was right.ofc essien is an upgrade to muntari and noce .but again after a year we will be in same position searching for some to cover his position.and guess what ??then again we will have no money and essien will not have resale value.the difference with banega is that after a year banega's price will be between 0-30m
essien's value if he succeeds or not will be close to 0

Milanista2020

The Milan Motivator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Seedorf, Patinho, Gattuso, Maldini, Baresi, shevchenko, Boban, Kaka,
Milan are believed to have agreed personal terms with Michael Essien, but have yet to decide on the type of deal to reach with Chelsea.

Reports yesterday placed the midfielder’s representatives as in Milan to hold talks with the Rossoneri over a prospective move this January.

It is understood that those talks were with Adriano Galliani and proved successful in arranging terms for the 31-year-old on an 18-month contract.

However, aside from awaiting a definitive ‘yes’ on the move from Chelsea, the Diavolo are apparently yet to determine which way to sign Essien.

Terms of agreement with the player are said to have been reached on both an initial loan through to the summer, with a purchase option inserted, as well as on an outright purchase by Milan.

The club are set to meet on Friday to determine which scenario to explore, before then looking to strike terms with Chelsea.

It is seen that the Rossoneri are, in either case, looking for assistance from the Stamford Bridge outfit on the Ghana international’s wages through to June.

http://www.football-italia.net/44256/milan-have-essien-agreement-but…

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
I want this to end nicely with great memories and crying and all those things

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Would be an upgrade for our midfield.

The good days are over and pretty much anyone is an upgrade over Muntari and Nocerino.