Milan & Serie A In Cash Crisis – Galliani

Reaction score
Goal.com said:
The Diavoli have been one of the most active teams on the transfer market this summer, however their ability to splash out vast sums of money has been hit by the failure to qualify for next season’s Champions League.

"The ownership of Milan has always brought certain responsibilities and will continue to do so,” Galliani explained to the Gazzetta dello Sport.

“It's no coincidence that we're facing a revenue loss of about £30 million due to the non-qualification for the Champions League.

"The club has always thought big and continues to do so. Berlusconi has always left me with a great deal of autonomy in management.

“That is why I say that the choice not to go shopping mad is absolutely mine. There are significant economic reasons that have led us to reflect.”

Galliani believes that Milan’s situation is symptomatic of the whole of Italian football, and says that Serie A is now lagging far behind the financial power of England, Spain and Germany.

"I am not exaggerating when I say now that Italian football is in fourth place in Europe behind England, Spain and Germany,” the transfer guru stated.

“Unfortunately we can no longer compete for certain players.

"The fate of our football will continue to suffer unless we change things.

“However I still believe this Milan will be competitive with the signings of Mathieu Flamini and Gianluca Zambrotta, plus the return of Marco Borriello, Christian Abbiati and Luca Antonini, in addition to promoting Matteo Darmian."

I have to agree with him, Serie A attendance this season was at its lowest in the last 15 years or something. Which shows the Serie A is slowly dying in Italy. Along with the fact that we missed the CL this season.

milan1st

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Kaka, Pato, Boateng, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ibrahimovic, Benzema, Fabregas, Essien, Ganso, Seedorf
I wonder why Inter is not in cris ? Or why they never complain about that.Maybe beczue of Mafia's relations :conf:

Fiore

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R. Baggio
Beninato said:
Serie A attendance this season was at its lowest in the last 15 years or something.

milan_ist said:
I wonder why Inter is not in cris ?

According to wiki, Milan had higher average attandance than Inter this season.

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
At no point in this article did Galliani say anyone is in crisis he just said that they will not pay the stupid wages or transfer fees(don't take any notice of the made up headlines). Also in this piece Galliani said (but not written on Goal.com) that Silvio has basically put forward quite a bit of funds for this summer, but Galliani is not sure what to do with it & is trying to be sensible. Galliani has been making comments like this for years so it is just something he has got in his head.

The attendances are going up again now after the match fixing & Milan's average attendance is a very good 57,000 which is right up their with most clubs.

Milan are one of best run & well off clubs around. Milan's net spend over the last 7 years is around nil interms of transfer fees when you take loans & co-ownerships into it.

Reaction score
DSM said:
At no point in this article did Galliani say anyone is in crisis he just said that they will not pay the stupid wages or transfer fees(don't take any notice of the made up headlines). Also in this piece Galliani said (but not written on Goal.com) that Silvio has basically put forward quite a bit of funds for this summer, but Galliani is not sure what to do with it & is trying to be sensible. Galliani has been making comments like this for years so it is just something he has got in his head.

The attendances are going up again now after the match fixing & Milan's average attendance is a very good 57,000 which is right up their with most clubs.

Milan are one of best run & well off clubs around. Milan's net spend over the last 7 years is around nil interms of transfer fees when you take loans & co-ownerships into it.

57,000 in a stadium that seats 82,000 in a city of 6 million isn't good. Its pathetic.

MilanMarkus

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
According to this article from The Telegraph many big clubs have huge debts:

Michel Platini clamps down on clubs in debt
Club Value(£m) Debt(£m)
Man United 919 551
Real Madrid 656 177
Arsenal 612 263
Liverpool 536 348
Bayern Munich 468 0
AC Milan 407 0
Barcelona 400 28
Chelsea 390 0
Juventus 260 13
Schalke 240 115

According to latest figures AC Milan is £24 million in debt. So that doesn't seem too bad compared to Real, ManU or Liverpool. Unfortunately it's true that Serie A is in the shadow of the Premier League at the moment. Fact is that former Thai prime ministers are even buying teams like Manchester City. Let's just hope the Premier League hype will end some day and that investors will turn away, leaving the clubs with massive debts so we'll be able to see a total collapse of the Premier League.

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
MilanMarkus said:
According to this article from The Telegraph many big clubs have huge debts:

Michel Platini clamps down on clubs in debt
Club Value(£m) Debt(£m)
Man United 919 551
Real Madrid 656 177
Arsenal 612 263
Liverpool 536 348
Bayern Munich 468 0
AC Milan 407 0
Barcelona 400 28
Chelsea 390 0
Juventus 260 13
Schalke 240 115

According to latest figures AC Milan is £24 million in debt. So that doesn't seem too bad compared to Real, ManU or Liverpool. Unfortunately it's true that Serie A is in the shadow of the Premier League at the moment. Fact is that former Thai prime ministers are even buying teams like Manchester City. Let's just hope the Premier League hype will end some day and that investors will turn away, leaving the clubs with massive debts so we'll be able to see a total collapse of the Premier League.
Milan are always around even nowadays, the year before Milan made a small profit while Inter amazingly lost 180 million euros.

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Beninato said:
I have to agree with him, Serie A attendance this season was at its lowest in the last 15 years or something. Which shows the Serie A is slowly dying in Italy. Along with the fact that we missed the CL this season.
Attendances rose this year with Napoli/Genoa back in Serie A & teams like Milan etc increasing their attendances. after a bad year with the match fixing.

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
DSM said:
Attendances rose this year with Napoli/Genoa back in Serie A & teams like Milan etc increasing their attendances. after a bad year with the match fixing.
Not forgetting Juve who only average just over 20,000 however.

Velez Mostar

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Savicevic, Albertini, Weah, Redondo
Beninato said:
57,000 in a stadium that seats 82,000 in a city of 6 million isn't good. Its pathetic.

Where on earth did you get these numbers from, your very own wild guessing head?

Milano has 3,8 million - the city itself 1,26. So cut the crap, please.

---

Our average attendance is good and it pleases me to see that we've got only minor debt compared to L'pool, Man Utd and Real :beer:

I wonder when Platini is going to take action againt these clubs with ENORMOUS debt?

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fuck, misread the statistics. Post edited.

I actually think Galliani's talking sense in this instance. I don't believe for a second that Serie A is dying though. Give it a few years and it'll be more than back on its feet.

Last edited:

PRIYO

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Sheva, Sergio Claudio, Ibra.
This is just another excuse not to buy expensive/star players. :)

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
PRIYO said:
Too true, too true.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
PRIYO said:

Excuse or valid reason? To a limited extent, I would agree with Galliani that given the current financial climate in Serie A, Milan can't necessarily justify spending the amounts they would have to in order to persuade players to come to Italy rather than England or Spain. Basically, I think a lot of people are taking far too simplistic a view of this.

ilgenio@serbia

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Savicevic, Inzaghi, Weah, Nesta, Henry
Velez Mostar said:
Where on earth did you get these numbers from, your very own wild guessing head?

Milano has 3,8 million - the city itself 1,26. So cut the crap, please.

---

Our average attendance is good and it pleases me to see that we've got only minor debt compared to L'pool, Man Utd and Real :beer:

I wonder when Platini is going to take action againt these clubs with ENORMOUS debt?

Hey hey now you cut the crap...Milan has population of 5 milion...the metropolitan area...and has about 2 or 2,5 mln daily migration...which means city itslelf has about 2,5 mil...
I live here so i think i know the facts pretty well...

And about transfer policy...no comment...i would laugh if it was for somebody else...in this case i can only hope Ronaldinho will buy his contract and reveal his in love with Milan and come to Milan :)) sounds more than possible,ha...

sLurPPP

il diavolo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Leah Dizon, 3, 21 , 9MVB, 13, 7S, 22, 10RC, 4Alb, 7 Len, 10Savi
AC Milan needs more wide business n management.
ex: expand Milan Channel on my Home Cable Network in Indonesia
:D
So I can watch every Milan match.

Andromeda

^AC.Milan Girl^
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini
sLurPPP said:

lol.. i second that. what a trick :D

Lisa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini
sLurPPP said:

Better still, they bring the Milan Channel stateside if it's not here already, I know my cable co doesn't offer it. All I get is an hour on Goltv, which is really what used to be on FSC, cheesy music and all.

vioser

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka,Pirlo,Nesta
sLurPPP said:
Agreed

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
sLurPPP said:
India too its has a population of 1.2billion :o
some people like italian league since nobody shows serie a we all have to watch EPL

Last edited:

Schedule