The 2010 FIFA World Cup Thread

goja

Im back baby
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gattuso, Nesta, Pippo, Pirlo, De Sciglio
i've noticed (or just failed to find) that we dont have a set thread for the world cup 2010, and seeing as how qualifiers and draws are done, its about time. alot of you know alot better about certain teams, so this would be a good place to discuss their squads/tactics so we can all get a better idea about whats coming up.

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
The Netherlands, nicknamed Oranje by the Dutch, is known for having good players, though the Dutch are complaining about their defense for years now. The Netherlands are considered as a serious outsider, mainly because of the strong attacking players, though because of their weakness which is their defense (mainly leftback position) I would not expect too much of them after the round of poules.

The Netherlands play in a 4-2-3-1 under coach Bert van Marwijk, and their most likely line-up will be:

Robin van Persie (9)
Arjen Robben (11), Wesley Sneijder (10), Dirk Kuijt (7)
Nigel de Jong (8), Mark van Bommel (6)
Giovanni van Bronckhorst (5), Joris Mathijsen (4), John Heitinga (3), Gregory van der Wiel (2)
Maarten Stekelenburg (1)​

(1) Stekelenburg is with distance first choice. Michel Vorm is the obvious first backup, followed by Piet Velthuizen.

(2) Van der Wiel, the obvious first choice. Khalid Boulahrouz might be first backup, though I would consider Ronnie Stam, but the coach thinks different.

(3) + (4) Mathijsen is first choice. Heitinga seems to be first choice for the other spot since André Ooijer lacks first team football at his club. Glenn Loovens was given a chance, which I don't understand (he was far from impressing). Other players who can play here are Dirk Marcellis and Khalid Boulahrouz. I would consider Ron Vlaar, but the coach thinks different.

(5) Captain Van Bronckhorst is still first choice, but he is far from impressing and very old. Other players are also not impressing like Edson Braafheid who lacks first team football at this club. Maybe Khalid Boulahrouz could play here. I would put an eye on Dwight Tiendalli this season as he might become a serious consideration for this spot. Urby Emanuelson could also be an option, though he plays as left winger nowadays.

(6) + (8) Van Bommel seems to be sure about his spot. De Jong looks like first choice for the other spot. Demy de Zeeuw, Orlando Engelaar, Stijn Schaars, Otman Bakkal, David Mendes da Silva and Wout Brama are also options for these spots. I would consider De Zeeuw the most from the backups as first team player (instead of De Jong then). Schaars could be also interesting.

(7) + (9) + (10)
Kuijt is first choice right winger, but plays also often as central forward which I think is a very bad decision. Recently Van Persie is first choice central forward rather than rigt winger or so. Main competitor Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Kuijt is also a main competitor which I don't understand) lacks first team football with his club anyway. Also Ruud van Nistelrooij who said he wants to go to world cup is an option. Ibrahim Afellay is both backup for right winger as for the number 10 position. First choice would be Sneijder or Rafael van der Vaart (who also can be used as right winger). Though, since Van der Vaart lacks first team football I'd guess Sneijder will be first choice. Clarence Seedorf said very recently to Van Marwijk he can forget about him (but I would say he already did that).

(11) Robben is the best left winger, though because of his injuries Eljero Elia is playing a lot as left winger in national team. Ryan Babel is second backup for left winger spot.

Last edited:

goja

Im back baby
Reaction score
Fav. Players
and you are our bogie team (for serbia i mean), in our past 3 participations in international competitions, you beat us.
WC 1998 : holland 2-1 yugoslavia
Euro 2000 : holland 6-1 yugoslavia
WC 2006 : holland 1-0 serbia

i guess serbia's main weakness is the goalkeeper, midfield could be better too. and our all time issue, choking at the big stage and overreliance on certain players.
otherwise, defense is solid with vidic, ivanovic, dragutinovic. and attack is talented with krasic, jovanovic, pantelic.

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
Serbia have everything to do a great world cup, in brazil a lot of ppl are betting that Krasic could end beetwen the top5.. jovanovic and that striker are good, the defense is high qualify too.
I cant remember who is the keeper, but if you said that he is weak.. could be a problem.

goja

Im back baby
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I hope australia gets through the pool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whats australia's team like? i havent heard much about them since the last world cup where they were pretty good

goja

Im back baby
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Serbia have everything to do a great world cup, in brazil a lot of ppl are betting that Krasic could end beetwen the top5.. jovanovic and that striker are good, the defense is high qualify too.
I cant remember who is the keeper, but if you said that he is weak.. could be a problem.

the keeper is stojkovic, a little bit like dida. capable of being extraordinary, but also capable of some real howlers. he's not regular and stable like cech, buffon or julio cesar.

Kalac#16

Milan Legend
Reaction score
England have James Milner, and if he is fully fit when the WC comes around, other teams may as well forfeit.

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
This could be the shirt of Brazil in 2010.
brazil-world-cup-2010-nike-home-shirt-leaked-1.jpg

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Top 10 Unforgettable World Cup Moments Of The Decade
As we approach a new decade, Goal.com looks back at the Top 10 unforgettable World Cup moments of the noughties…

10) Senegal Shock France

Just like at Italia ’90, the 2002 World Cup began with a shock victory for an African nation over the holders. France, who were also the European champions, and contained the top scorers from the English, Italian and French leagues were stunned by Senegal.

Papa Bouba Diop scored the winner on the half-hour mark, before Senegalese players joined together for a choreographed dance celebration. France would be eliminated first round without scoring a goal.

9) Rivaldo's Play-Acting

At the turn of the century Rivaldo was one of top three players in the world, and although he was on the slide by 2002 he would offer one final hurrah at that year’s World Cup by scoring five goals and playing an influential role in the Selecao’s triumph.

However, his tournament was somewhat marred by a playacting incident in the first group match against Turkey. Hakan Unsal kicked a ball that struck Rivaldo’s thigh, but the Brazilian went down clutching his face. The Galatasaray defender was sent off for a second yellow card, while Rivaldo was branded a cheat after the game. His punishment was a fine of 11,670 Swiss Francs.

8) Graham Poll's Three Yellow Cards

Former English referee Graham Poll already didn't have the best record in international tournaments going into the 2006 World Cup. He had been involved in controversial games at both Euro 2000 and World Cup 2002, in the latter competition he wrongly disallowed two valid Italy goals during a 2-1 defeat to Croatia.

In 2006 he took charge of the decisive Group F clash between Australia and Croatia. The Europeans had to win to go through at the expense of the Socceroos. Croatia defender Josip Simunic was booked three times before Poll eventually sent him off, meaning a nervous finish for the Australians who held on for a 2-2 draw which booked their place in the knockouts. FIFA President Sepp Blatter said after the game that it is likely a replay would have been ordered had Croatia had won because of Poll's error. Did Blatter say the same about the 'Hand of Henry in 2009'? - scroll down to find out.

7) The Good, Bad & The Ugly Of Argentina

In the 2006 World Cup Argentina offered us a bit of everything. During the group stages they were absolutely sublime, putting on an exhibition of irrepressible football during their 6-0 dismantling of Serbia & Montenegro.

Argentina were the hot favourites for the World Cup as they moved into the knockouts, but then in their quarter final against hosts Germany they got nervous. Coach Jose Pekerman made the fateful decision of substituting star man Juan Riquelme and leaving Lionel Messi on the bench, and Germany grabbed a late equaliser to force extra time and then penalties. The ice-cool Germans converted all their spot-kicks, which led to a riot after the game. There were flying-kicks and punches thrown as Argentina exited with their customary bang.

6) Fabio Grosso’s Scream

The most famous World Cup celebration of all time has to be Marco Tardelli’s scream after scoring Italy's second goal in their 1982 World Cup final victory over West Germany.

This iconic moment was copied by Azzurri full back Fabio Grosso in the epic semi final of Germany 2006 when he whipped home a dramatic winner against the hosts in the penultimate minute of extra time. Every Italian will tell you that they were overcome with tears of joy during this unforgettable moment.

5) Diego Maradona’s Belly Slide

When Peru's Hernan Rengifo scored an unlikely equaliser in the final minute of the penultimate 2010 World Cup qualifier against Argentina at the Monumental stadium, it seemed that Diego Maradona's and the Albicelestes’ World Cup dream had come to an abrupt end.

So close, but now so far, coach Maradona's face said it all. Argentina's World Cup chances were practically over. The torrential rainfall didn't help one bit, it actually made things all the more depressing. To lose it to Peru was one thing, but to lose in this manner was nothing less than heartbreaking.

But wait...all of a sudden, and pretty much out of nowhere, appeared Martin Palermo to hand Argentina a dramatic victory in the 93rd minute! The veteran fired the ball home at the back post after a deflection went into his path.

Maradona's celebration said it all. 'El Pibe de Oro' dived along the touchline despite the storm to celebrate one of the most important goals in Argentine football history, one that paved the way for the nation to qualify for South Africa after they beat Uruguay in their final qualifier.

Make your own minds up – but this surely has to be image of the year?

4) Ronaldinho’s Lob

With the Top 3 dominated by depressing moments, Ronaldinho provides the most positive flash from the last 10 years – that is if you are not an England fan or David Seaman.

The Brazilian magician settled the 2002 World Cup quarter final against England in Fukuroi with an outrageous 40-yard free kick that looped over veteran goalkeeper Seaman. To this day the debate still rages as to whether Ronnie attempted the lob or he was just crossing the ball.

Either way, Brazil won the game 2-1 and although Ronaldinho would later be sent off in chaotic circumstances the Selecao went on to win their fifth World Cup trophy.

3) Hand Of Henry

Without doubt the most controversial moment of 2009, and the most infamous World Cup handball of all time after Diego Maradona’s ‘Hand of God’ in 1986. Ireland’s World Cup playoff against France was delicately balanced as the tie moved into extra time in Paris, with the score 1-1 on aggregate.

Then, France striker Thierry Henry clearly handled the ball in the run-up to William Gallas's decisive equaliser on the night, but it was not seen by the referee or his assistants.

The goal stood and the Irish went out, causing a furore after the game. The FAI later made a request to FIFA that the game be replayed, but FIFA turned them down. Henry was lambasted, and even unsuccessfully offered a replay himself after FIFA had made their decision. The FAI even asked to be admitted as the 33rd nation in South Africa. Unsurprisingly this was turned down too.

2) Byron Moreno

Italy were eliminated from the 2002 World Cup in the last 16 by co-hosts South Korea following former Perugia star Ahn Jung-Hwan’s extra time golden goal.

However, this all happened after one of the most infamous matches in World Cup history. Giovanni Trapattoni’s men had a perfectly good golden goal disallowed by Ecuadorian referee Byron Moreno, had Francesco Totti sent-off for diving when replays showed that he had only lost his footing, while South Korea were awarded a dubious penalty and continually went unpunished for foul play.

After the match Italy declared that there had been a conspiracy against them, claims that were given strength by the fact that not only had they had four perfectly fair goals disallowed in their two previous matches against Croatia and Mexico, but by the refereeing errors that saw Korea eliminate Spain in the next round.

Moreno would be the villainous symbol of 2002. Later that year he received a 20 match ban, after he played an extra 13 minutes of stoppage time during a match between Deportiva Universita de Quito and Barcelona Sporting Club. During this time Deportiva scored twice to turn a 3-2 deficit into a 4-3 victory. After retuning from his suspension, Moreno was suspended again after controversially sending off three players in one match. He retired from officiating shortly after.

1) Zinedine Zidane’s Headbutt

At No.1 it could only be France legend Zinedine Zidane’s headbutt on Italy’s Marco Materazzi during the 2006 World Cup final. With the score tied at 1-1 in extra time in Berlin, Zidane was infamously sent off after he head-butted the Inter hardman in the chest in extra time.

This would be Zidane’s last act of his career as he retired after the game, while Italy would go on to win their fourth World Cup on penalties. There was much speculation over what Materazzi said to prompt this violent reaction, but it was eventually revealed that the stopper had insulted Zizou’s sister. The Matrix even successfully sued a number of English newspapers for libel.

What are your views on this topic? Do you have any other unforgettable World Cup moments from the past decade?

Carlo Garganese, Goal.com

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Henry publicly called for a replay only to cover his ass, not out of genuine concern for Ireland. He was well aware that there was no way in hell the match was going to be replayed.

First Henry's blatant cheating, now the fallout from Tiger Woods' car crash heard 'round the world. It must suck majorly to work in Gillette's advertising department nowadays.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
^^

next federer will kill someone or do drugs :D

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Henry publicly called for a replay only to cover his ass, not out of genuine concern for Ireland. He was well aware that there was no way in hell the match was going to be replayed.

First Henry's blatant cheating, now the fallout from Tiger Woods' car crash heard 'round the world. It must suck majorly to work in Gillette's advertising department nowadays.

I agree

Henry:head:

goja

Im back baby
Reaction score
Fav. Players

well i think gillette are trying to appeal to the sensitive modern world by moving from the typical macho and manly vision of men, to make them more feminin, showing they can handle balls and hit stationary objects while driving

PS: im joking so dont lynch me

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
well i think gillette are trying to appeal to the sensitive modern world by moving from the typical macho and manly vision of men, to make them more feminin, showing they can handle balls and hit stationary objects while driving

PS: im joking so dont lynch me

Henry holding the ball with his left hand in a Gillette commercial which now has been edited or so, is so damn funny.

Reaction score
whats australia's team like? i havent heard much about them since the last world cup where they were pretty good

Aus is going good, defence is the same as 2006 world cup, we do have jesus (josh kennedy) up front who always manages to score a header or two and i could really see scott mcdonald break his goal scoring drought and show his class against strong teams in the world cup..

unfortunately culina has left holland and now plays in Australia so clearly the midfield will suffer, but cahill should perfrom well..

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
That printed wave is back again from the 90's.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
No fucking way.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
is it me. or does the muscle/armor visual effect on the front look like the green goblin out of spiderman

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
What the hell is that? Whose idea was it to have some bullshit muscles or whatever all over it?

I was really looking forward to buying the WC kit, but idk now.

I hope they change this shirt.

But theres a 'pre-order' thing already.

I wont buy it too.

Sophie

chiamato Mr X
Reaction score
Fav. Players
everyone always
that Italian kit is insane! nice colour though.

maybe they were afraid that the team were not muscular enough, so this kit is designed to make them look more intimidating :tongue:

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
the more I think about it, the more sense it makes to me that Spain is by far the favourite...

:star::star::star: Spain
:star::star: Brazil, England
:star: Germany, Ivory Coast, Italy

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
the more I think about it, the more sense it makes to me that Spain is by far the favourite...

:star::star::star: Spain
:star::star: Brazil, England
:star: Germany, Ivory Coast, Italy

Funny. I dont believe in Spain or Italy.

Schedule