Milan's History Thread

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
:star: I think I've copied the best bits here + linked it few times.

oops now i know why that thread comes to my mind whenever i need to read something great about milan

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
hahah the mighty swede :D

Gunnar Nordhal arrived to Milan by train. Getting neared he heard shouts, chants, flags. He gets allarmed: a political march? No, the Rossoneri greeting him! So many that, in the urge to see him, they broke the train's windows, throwing flowers, waving pieces of paper. Nordhal panickes. He demanded to go to the hotel and shuts himself in his room, fearing he had picked the wrong squad and country. Some days after, he scores his first goal (against Pro Patria, I recall) and forgot his fear.
When Nordhal was at Milano, he wanted to speak to Umberto Trabattoni, then president, and his son in law, wily manager Toni Busini - ex milanista- and said: "I know two swedish players that will make their mark here at Milan. I suggest you to buy them"

Busini listened to the Fireman (after selling a non alcoholic drink, svagdrich, Nordhal worked at a firestation to earn a living) and took those Swedes. That were Gunnar Gren "the Professor", and Nils Liedholm "the Baron"

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1367873&postcount=83

the german ;)

The massagist Tresoldi dosed wine around the tables when at dinner or lunch. He often stopped at Rivera and Rosato's table, so Rocco call out to them "Hey, learn from the 'tedesco' (German, that was Schnellinger) he only drinks milk!" When nobody was around, he called the twosome to his table and dosed another glass to them personally.

ItalyGermany4to3. A Milanista game, if we count from the Schnellinger goal to that of Rivera. But a crazy game anyway.
Karl-Heinz Schnellinger, one goal in all his Milan career, did only one with Germany. He entered the penalty area for the first time: Inter and Italy 's captain back then, Facchetti, knew it. "What were you doing here?" And "Carlo" meekly answered " I was going to the dressing room, to avoid journalists..." And the German dressing room was BEHIND Albertosi's goalpost! The ball simply came to him, he didn't look for the goal!

He scores ("if I failed they'd eat me at home!") and a rain of reactions come from the Italian side. He recalls two: the stupefied question of Rosato: "Carlo but did you have to do it NOW?" and Rivera's tongue-in-cheek menace "I'll wait for you at Milano!" Both his teammates back home. But without that goal from "the Rock", there would have been no epic

Last edited:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nereo Rocco was born in 1912 in Trieste.

5803_news.jpg

After he brought Padova to a competitive level in order to win the League Title, he became the A.C. Milan trainer along with Viani (manager) forming an unusual and a successful pair. His career with the rossoneri is legendary: he won the League Title in 1961/62 and the next year he won the Champions League, bringing for the first time an Italian football team to get this trophy. He was the Torino trainer for four seasons and then he came back to A.C. Milan: he won a League Title and a Winners’ Cup in the 1967/68, the next season he won the UEFA Champions League and then the European/South American Cup. Just before leaving A.C. Milan he won another Cup Winners’ Cup and two Italian Cups in the 1977. He was considered the father of “catenaccio” based on a strong defence and a deadly break-back, a way of play that got many followers in Italy.
http://www.acmilan.com/InfoPage.aspx?id=85733
one of our great manager guy has lot of funny incidents related to him :D

Nereo Rocco made his coaching debut for Triestina in 1947. He obtained a surprising second place in the Serie A, which is still the highest result ever reached by the team. He left Triestina a few years later because of disagreements with the club chairmanship. In 1951 he briefly coached Treviso, then returning back to Triestina.
In 1953 Rocco signed as coach of Serie B team Padova, being able to avoid a relegation and obtaining promotion into Serie A the following season. The Serie A period of Rocco's Padova is still remembered as the team's most successful in their history, despite having a small team, they were able to score a third place during the 1957/58 season.
In 1961, Rocco was appointed as new AC Milan coach, starting one of the most successful periods for the rossoneri, winning the Italian league and the European Cup in 1963. After a good stint at Torino, where he obtained the best results since the disappearance of the Grande Torino, in 1967 Rocco returned to AC Milan, where he immediately won another scudetto and the Cup Winners' Cup.
He left AC Milan in 1973, after having won also another European Cup in 1969, an Intercontinental Cup, an Italian Cup and another Cup Winners' Cup. After one year in Fiorentina, Rocco decided to end his coaching career in 1974. In 1977 he was appointed by AC Milan as Technical Director and Assistant of coach Nils Liedholm.
Rocco died in 1979, aged 66, in Trieste.

Manager: Nereo Rocco
milan1969.jpg

Goalkeepers:

Fabio CUDICINI
Giorgio GHEZZI

Defenders:

Cesare MALDINI
Giovanni TRAPATTONI
Karl-Heinz SCHNELLINGER
Angelo ANQUILLETTI
Roberto ROSATO
Aldo MALDERA
Mario TREBBI
Francesco ZAGATTI
Nello SANTIN

Midfielders:

Gianni RIVERA
Giovanni LODETTI
DINO SANI
Romeo BENETTI
Albertino BIGON
Mario DAVID
Ambrogio PELAGALLI
Giorgio BIASIOLO

Attackers:

Jose ALTAFINI
Pierino PRATI
Angelo SORMANI
Kurt HAMRIN
Bruno MORA
Gino PIVATELLI

Formation:

--------------------------F. CUDICINI------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------C. MALDINI------------------------
--------------SCHNELLINGER------TRAPATTONI--------------
ANQUILLETTI------------------------------------R. ROSATO
-------------------LODETTI------R. BENETTI------------------
--------------------------G. RIVERA--------------------------
--------------------ALTAFINI-----PRATI--------------

In season 1961-62, AC Milan hired Nereo Rocco, an innovative football coach, known as inventor of the catenaccio tactic. The team included a young Gianni Rivera and José Altafini. The following season, thanks also to Altafini's goals, Milan won their first European Cup (later known as UEFA Champion League) by defeating Benfica 2-1. This was also the first time an Italian team won the European Cup.

Despite that, during the 1960s Milan won less trophies, mainly because of the heavy concurrence of Helenio Herrera's Inter. Its next Scudetto arrived only in 1967/1968, thanks to the goals of Pierino Prati, the Serie A topscorer in that season, as well as the Cup Winners' Cup, won against Hamburger SV thanks to the two goals of Kurt Hamrin. The next season AC Milan won its second European Cup (4-1 to AFC Ajax), and in 1969 won its first Intercontinental Cup, after having defeated Estudiantes de La Plata of Argentina in two dramatic legs (3-0, 1-2).

In the 1970s, AC Milan won three Italian Cups and its second Cup Winners' Cup; however, the real goal of the Rossoneri was the tenth Scudetto, which would have awarded the first stella ("star") to the team. In 1972 they reached the semi-final of the UEFA Cup losing to eventual cup winners Tottenham Hotspur. A strong 1972/1973 season provided their first opportunity for the tenth Scudetto, but ultimately proved a failure after a humiliating defeat against Hellas Verona F.C. on the last day of the season.

Honours:

Calcio Serie A: 2 (1962, 1968)
Coppa Italia: 2 (1972, 1973)
European Cups: 2 (1963, 1969)
European Cup Winners' Cup: 2 (1968, 1973)
Intercontinental Cup: 1 (1969)

http://pesstatsdatabase.com/club-era-teams/ac-milan-1961-63-1967-73-nereo-rocco-era-t12605.html

http://www.milanclubnereorocco.com/

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Stam on the cover? I'd love to read it ...

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Really good book ashit. ;)

Be careful the Author is an Inturd fan and takes potshots at Berlu.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Really good book ashit. ;)

Be careful the Author is an Inturd fan and takes potshots at Berlu.

i will keep that in mind but the intial part is all aout rivera

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
i will keep that in mind but the intial part is all aout rivera
Yeah and he will mention that when Berlu took over he totally tried to make Milan forget about Rivera or something like that

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yeah and he will mention that when Berlu took over he totally tried to make Milan forget about Rivera or something like that
fuck him berlu is god :D

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nordhal, taken from his book "Oro e campi verdi" :
" We had to beat Lazio. It was this very obligation to win at all cost, almost played us a deadly trick to our nervous system. We played badly. We were very motivated, against a difficult and solid Lazio formation. We left the field, beaten 2-1 and depressed. I will always rememer - continues the Swede in his memoires - the deep sorow of Carletto Annovazzi, that as a born and raised Milanese, he had put everything he got into this Scudetto dream. Inside the dressing rooms, no one moved, no one had the courage to talk when Busini, the sporting director, entered yelling:" Inter lost in Torino!". At that moment, the atmosphere changed drastically: from players and coaches, staying silent in their seats, almost crying, everyone, in one single burst, yelled their joy and started embracing and hugging each other in a frenesy. Players embracing, managers, coaches crying of joy. The tifosi, who had heard the news via the loudspeakers of the San Siro stadium at the same time as the players in the dressing rooms of the incredible result of Torino, started asking loudly for the players to come back on the field. We were now sure of becoming Champions of Italy: the tifosi jumped above the fences of the stadium and joined us all on the pitch and celebrated with us, bearing us on their shoulders, crazy of happiness and joy."

The stats give an even greater meaning to the triumph of this fantastic Milan. Gunnard Nordhal, in the 37 games he played, scored 34 goals. He is the prince of the Milan attack, that would score that season, in total, 107 goals with only 39 against. After the Swede, the 2nd goal scorer for Milan is Annovazzi with 17 goals, then Liedholm with 13 and Burini with 12; 26 wins, 8 ties and 4 losses, for a Milan, that a few weeks later, would go onto to win, the Coppa Latina (ancestor of the Champions Cup) the first international trophy of its history. The beginning of the great Rossonero era started in that far away 10th of June 1951. A splendid history that is still moving, exciting, enthralling, infinite. The History of this Magico, Marvelous, Old Milan!"
anybody got that book?? can anyone find it for me preferably english ;)

even this thread is awesome

kudos to other forum

http://www.milanmania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20308

Last edited:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
mike was there any problem between rivera and berlu :eek: sorry i cant question berlu still
cause

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1802366&postcount=111
In the section written by the Golden Boy:

Just before the Centenary of Milan, a journalist of Il Corriere asked Rivera if he was surprised to be invited for the celebrations. Here's what Gianni answered:"No, if they hadn't invited me, Berlusconi would have celebrated the 80 years of Milan, and not the 100 years of Milan."

Amazing!!!! Only L'Abatino can say such things!!!

FORZA GOLDEN BOY!!!!

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
I just read some posts about the Milan history from xtratime and all I can say is I wish I could meet and spend hours talking to Carlo Pellegatti to get a fraction of his knowledge of Milan.

His stories are truly amazing.

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
AC Milan All Time XI

AC Milan All Time XI

milanpitch.gif

THE COACH:
Arrigo SACCHI 1987-91
:star:
Arrived from Serie B outfit Parma and immediately led Milan to the title in his debut season in Serie A. Spent four years at the club where the side never failed to finish lower than third. Also led the outfit to two European Cup victories, two Intercontinental titles and a European Super Cup. Played a massive part in revolutionising Italian football with his 4-4-2 pressing game.

Lorenzo BUFFON 1949-59 :star:
Goalkeeper who along with Nils Liedholm won four championships with Milan in the 1950s. Made his debut at the age of 20 while he was fourth choice and kept the No 1 jersey for the next decade. Also played 15 times for Italy before moving to Genoa and Inter.

Mauro TASSOTTI 1980-1997 :star:
Mauro Tassotti played 581 games in all for the Rossoneri. Was signed from Lazio and went on to become one of the most consistent players in the Italian game. Eventually won international honours, but only after Arrigo Sacchi was national boss.

Franco BARESI 1977-1997 :star:
Voted Italy’s Player of the Century, Franco Baresi will long be remembered as one of the all-time greats. Played 716 games for Milan in a 20-year stay that saw him become the lynchpin of one of the strongest defences in the history of the Italian game. When he retired, Milan withdrew his No 6 shirt.

Paolo MALDINI 1985-2010 :star:
Former Italian captain and most capped international player, Maldini established himself as the world’s best left-sided defenders in the early 1990s. The son of another Milan hero in Cesare, Paolo has won almost every single club honour there is available.

Giovanni TRAPATTONI 1960-71 :star:
Ex-national Coach, Trapattoni made his name in the game as a tough tackling midfielder with the Rossoneri. Played over a decade with the club and won many honours including two Serie A titles and two European Cups. Famously once man marked Pele out of an international game in 1963.

Frank RIJKAARD 1988-93 :star:
Dutch midfielder who was part of the Dutch trio of the classic Milan side of the late 80s. A much under-rated holding midfielder, Rijkaard was perhaps the most important Dutch element of the side. Played 148 Serie A games, scoring 16 goals.

Gianni RIVERA 1960-79 :star:
The original Golden Boy of Italian football, this stylish midfielder performed at dizzy heights for Milan for over 15 years. He debuted as a fresh faced 19-year-old shortly after signing from Alessandria and became an established international – even without ever showing the same sort of club form for his country.

Nils LIEDHOLM 1949-61 :star:
A master of passing, Liedholm played 359 gamers for the club and scored 81 goals. ‘Liddas’ also successfully coached Milan to the Serie A title and later repeated the feat with Roma. They say he went two seasons without misplacing a pass...

Gunnar NORDAHL 1949-56 :star:
Winner of the Capocannoniere crown five times during his time with Milan, the Swedish giant became a legend of the Italian game. Scored 210 goals for the club including 35 League goals in just one season. Nicknamed ‘il pompiere’ – the fireman – due to his profession in his homeland.

Marco VAN BASTEN 1987-95 :star:
Flying Dutch centre-forward who was instrumental in Milan’s late 80s and early 90s success. Three times European Footballer of the Year, Van Basten scored 108 goals in 168 matches for the club. Crowned Serie A top scorer twice, he was forced to retire in 1995 due to an ankle injury.

Jose ALTAFINI 1959-66 :star:
Brazilian attacker who won the title with Milan in his debut season with the side. The agile forward also became an integral part of the team that lifted the European Cup in 1963. Later played for Napoli and Juventus. Was nicknamed ‘Conileone’ – half rabbit, half lion.

:star:AC Milan Dream Team:star:

Fiero

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what's the reason for the rivalry between Sacchi and Capello? :)

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Could be very wrong, but I always get the idea that Lorenzo Buffon is listed as the best kepper in Milan's time cause he is Buffon's uncle more than because of how good he actually was (again I could be very wrong and he could've been great).

Fiero

Reaction score

Thanks Sod-Lod. It was a great read, but you got me wrong... I meant to ask why are Sacchi and Lippi arch-rivals? They both hate each other and can't get along at all, I want to know why...

I don't buy that. I worship the two. :D

Me too. It's a shame they both dislike each other. Probably it's because they're both so different.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
one like champagne football other one like victories

maybe because berlusca fired sacchi and bought capello as milan coach

av1hs89

Passive Fanatic
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Van Basten, Nesta, Rino, Sheva, Kaka, SuperPippo, T. Silva, Cassano
wasn't sure where to post this...but did anyone see the new espn 30 for 30 on colombian soccer in mid 90s

i thought it was great and they focused on andres escobar who was about to become a milan player before his death

Arie_14

The Athlete
Reaction score
oh man, i want to taste one season of Milan UNDEFEATED.. will it be 2010/2011 season? i hope ;)

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team

2009/10 is history now :D

Was good. But needs nicer memories, i would reccomend Dinho's penalty against Madrid and Leo, Dida and Favalli waving farewell against Juve.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Wonderful read!

One of the biggest opposition to Sacchi's tactic was actually MvBasten who felt that Sacchi's tactic was not liberating enough for him. Sacchi's tactic dictated every player to press the opposing player once Milan lost the ball. In any soccer game, most of the time the ball is lost when the team is attacking so Sacchi required MvB to press and chase the ball whenever the possession is lost, which MvB rejected because he (quite rightly) believed that as a striker it's never his responsibility to press the midfielder. He also repeatedly asked Sacchi to play the ever versatile Rijkaard in a more advanced role instead of his more defensive duty (Rijkaard was playing in a position similar to Patrick Vieira in his Arsenal days).

But first you have to understand that MvB was schooled in the ever-questioning atmosphere Ajax dressing room cultivated by his mentor Johann Cruyff where every player believed that they have a right to question their coach why they should do certain type of practice. This Ajax mentality was believed to be the reason for many Dutch NT internal fighting, especially in WC 94 and Euro 96 and the reason why when he became Dutch NT coach MvB refused to call up the big ego player like Seedorf, Edgar Davids, RvNistelrooy (although RvN and MvB eventually made their peace).

The argument was quite public with MvB launched attacks on Sacchi whenever the Italian press asked him why the team performed badly. Berlusconi then reportedly took the two into a private dinner where Sacchi reluctantly promised that he will ease up the defending duties of MvB who also agreed to stop criticizing him in public.

But the tension went on, especially after the disappointing 90/91 season after Milan lost on the 2nd round Champions League vs Olympique Marseille (MvB was suspended in both home and away games). Before one league game MvB found himself relegated to the bench and he asked Sacchi why. Sacchi said "Well, since you're very good at analyzing the game and criticizing me, why don't you sit here with me and tell me how we should play". After the incident, MvB issued a public ultimatum to Berlusconi stating "Either I stay or Sacchi stays", to which Berlusconi who always considered MvB as his golden boy relented and replace Sacchi with Capello, citing the lost to Sampdoria in season 90/91 as another reason.

When Capello came, the whole team was happy because he eased up the physical preparation and allowed the team to inject a bit of creativity into the play.

The whole Sacchi vs MvB debacle was not quickly forgotten by Sacchi. In the Paolo Maldini film (produced in 2004), he raised this issue defending his chosen tactic and adding "Even MvB can see that my tactic was perfect".

Well, arguments aside, both was monumental in the history of Milan.

Last edited:

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
A good read there Gaizka. :)

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Wonderful read!

One of the biggest opposition to Sacchi's tactic was actually MvBasten who felt that Sacchi's tactic was not liberating enough for him. Sacchi's tactic dictated every player to press the opposing player once Milan lost the ball. In any soccer game, most of the time the ball is lost when the team is attacking so Sacchi required MvB to press and chase the ball whenever the possession is lost, which MvB rejected because he (quite rightly) believed that as a striker it's never his responsibility to press the midfielder. He also repeatedly asked Sacchi to play the ever versatile Rijkaard in a more advanced role instead of his more defensive duty (Rijkaard was playing in a position similar to Patrick Vieira in his Arsenal days).

But first you have to understand that MvB was schooled in the ever-questioning atmosphere Ajax dressing room cultivated by his mentor Johann Cruyff where every player believed that they have a right to question their coach why they should do certain type of practice. This Ajax mentality was believed to be the reason for many Dutch NT internal fighting, especially in WC 94 and Euro 96 and the reason why when he became Dutch NT coach MvB refused to call up the big ego player like Seedorf, Edgar Davids, RvNistelrooy (although RvN and MvB eventually made their peace).

The argument was quite public with MvB launched attacks on Sacchi whenever the Italian press asked him why the team performed badly. Berlusconi then reportedly took the two into a private dinner where Sacchi reluctantly promised that he will ease up the defending duties of MvB who also agreed to stop criticizing him in public.

But the tension went on, especially after the disappointing 90/91 season after Milan lost on the 2nd round Champions League vs Olympique Marseille (MvB was suspended in both home and away games). Before one league game MvB found himself relegated to the bench and he asked Sacchi why. Sacchi said "Well, since you're very good at analyzing the game and criticizing me, why don't you sit here with me and tell me how we should play". After the incident, MvB issued a public ultimatum to Berlusconi stating "Either I stay or Sacchi stays", to which Berlusconi who always considered MvB as his golden boy relented and replace Sacchi with Capello, citing the lost to Sampdoria in season 90/91 as another reason.

When Capello came, the whole team was happy because he eased up the physical preparation and allowed the team to inject a bit of creativity into the play.

The whole Sacchi vs MvB debacle was not quickly forgotten by Sacchi. In the Paolo Maldini film (produced in 2004), he raised this issue defending his chosen tactic and adding "Even MvB can see that my tactic was perfect".

Good analysis & explanation gaizka22, now, everything is clear to the members here.

Thank you gaizka22 :star:

Fiero

Reaction score
Wonderful read!

I was hoping you'd respond. Great post as usual. :star:

Any idea on why there's a rivalry between Sacchi and Capello? :)

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Any idea on why there's a rivalry between Sacchi and Capello? :)
I don't think there was any rivalry between the 2, not that I know of. The rivalry (if exists) is probably similar to Mourinho vs Ancelotti when it comes to coaching Chelsea, both simply wants to do good for the club.

But in all honesty, Capello was always Berlusconi's fave. He was working as Primavera coach starting season 82/83 before promoted as assistant coach to the great Nils Lidholm in season 86/87 before he was handpicked to replace the Swede at the last few games of the season (Milan finished join 5th w/ Sampdoria and won the playoff game 1-0 through Massaro goal that qualified them for the UEFA Cup).

So there was a lot of doubt when Capello replaced Sacchi in season 91/92. I mean how do you replace someone who brought consecutive Champions Cup, consecutive European Super Cup and consecutive InterContinental Cup while changing the way the game was played at the same time?

It turns out that Capello did very good by winning the scudetto 4 times in his first 5 seasons with Milan. But the real difference was how the team played since Capello liberated the team to inject a bit of creativity. If Sacchi's forte was the positional play and the way the team moves, Capello's was steely defense and creative midfields.

And Berlusconi clearly favored Capello since he believed Capello owed him his break into the coaching world, not to mention grooming him to become the coach by employing him in his Filinvest company, thus keeping him in Milan ranks.

And the way both coaches parted ways with Milan was also another indication who Berlusconi favored. Sacchi was replaced since Berlusconi felt he can't give anything more to Milan (not to mention the protests from the players due to his strict regimental physical training) while Capello was released because he wanted to find another challenge.

But when it comes to winning mentality, I believe Sacchi was better than Capello. Sacchi won all the important cup games while Capello lost 2 CL finals, 2 InterContinental Cup games and 1 European Super Cup.

I hope this helps :)

Fiero

Reaction score
I don't think there was any rivalry between the 2, not that I know of. The rivalry (if exists) is probably similar to Mourinho vs Ancelotti when it comes to coaching Chelsea, both simply wants to do good for the club.

But in all honesty, Capello was always Berlusconi's fave. He was working as Primavera coach starting season 82/83 before promoted as assistant coach to the great Nils Lidholm in season 86/87 before he was handpicked to replace the Swede at the last few games of the season (Milan finished join 5th w/ Sampdoria and won the playoff game 1-0 through Massaro goal that qualified them for the UEFA Cup).

So there was a lot of doubt when Capello replaced Sacchi in season 91/92. I mean how do you replace someone who brought consecutive Champions Cup, consecutive European Super Cup and consecutive InterContinental Cup while changing the way the game was played at the same time?

It turns out that Capello did very good by winning the scudetto 4 times in his first 5 seasons with Milan. But the real difference was how the team played since Capello liberated the team to inject a bit of creativity. If Sacchi's forte was the positional play and the way the team moves, Capello's was steely defense and creative midfields.

And Berlusconi clearly favored Capello since he believed Capello owed him his break into the coaching world, not to mention grooming him to become the coach by employing him in his Filinvest company, thus keeping him in Milan ranks.

And the way both coaches parted ways with Milan was also another indication who Berlusconi favored. Sacchi was replaced since Berlusconi felt he can't give anything more to Milan (not to mention the protests from the players due to his strict regimental physical training) while Capello was released because he wanted to find another challenge.

But when it comes to winning mentality, I believe Sacchi was better than Capello. Sacchi won all the important cup games while Capello lost 2 CL finals, 2 InterContinental Cup games and 1 European Super Cup.

I hope this helps :)

Well that was helpful of course, thanks a lot. I wish I was older and got to watch Milan under Sacchi and Capello.

Anyway, here's what made me think they're rivals:

http://soccerlens.com/interview-with-arrigo-sacchi/5569/

and then when I searched google for more info, I got nothing explaining the reason for such rivalry, but lots of one liners saying they're "arch rivals" etc...

Schedule