Week 4: Milan - Inter 21/09/19 20:45 CET

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
What does he offer that Bennacer doesn't? Except number of years.

I’d rather Bennacer play this particular match because I want the regista to be more mobile here. But undervaluing experience is not a smart thing to do. If the manager prefers that, then I’m fine with that.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Right choices are Biglia starting and Paqueta benched.

We need Lucas' experience in this match.

Wrong choices are the 433 formation and Rebic starting on the wing.

Ultra Swan

.,.foREVer.,.
Reaction score
Fav. Players
AC Milan
I’d rather Bennacer play this particular match because I want the regista to be more mobile here. But undervaluing experience is not a smart thing to do. If the manager prefers that, then I’m fine with that.

Don't see how being well-versed in mediocrity can be considered a boon but okay.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Right choices are Biglia starting and Paqueta benched.

We need Lucas' experience in this match.

Wrong choices are the 433 formation and Rebic starting on the wing.

Seriously man, 4-3-3/4-3-2-1 is meaningless. The point is spacing between players and what they do with the ball. Rebic and Suso will not start as wide as the wing forwards did with Gattuso. Giampaolo will always play with compact spacing between players.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
^ Okay, I'll blame Gazzetta's graphic then.

Anyway, the match up between Sensi and Kessie will be interesting. Kessie has always got the better of him in every match we've played Sassuolo. His physique alone, with his marking should be able to isolate him.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
The battle will be of our full backs against their wingers.

I’d be happy with Rebic starting.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
^ Okay, I'll blame Gazzetta's graphic then.

Anyway, the match up between Sensi and Kessie will be interesting. Kessie has always got the better of him in every match we've played Sassuolo. His physique alone, with his marking should be able to isolate him.

If Kessie comes inward to mark Sensi, we'll risk Conti getting exposed a lot on that side. I'd rather Musacchio come forward to take out Sensi whenever he gets the ball. Man-marking Sensi is difficult anyway. He floats a lot between positions.

We need to be strong in the middle of the park, throttle Brozovic and Barella and prevent Sensi and Politano from getting the ball. Piatek really needs to play the best all-round game he has played yet. He should press them from behind, while Hakan and Kessie cramp them from the other side.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Seriously man, 4-3-3/4-3-2-1 is meaningless. The point is spacing between players and what they do with the ball. Rebic and Suso will not start as wide as the wing forwards did with Gattuso. Giampaolo will always play with compact spacing between players.

Giampaolo tried to take Suso out of his comfort zone, but he ran back into it and has stayed there since the 2nd half of the Udinese game.
It's no different to the RW role under Rino.

Giampaolo wants a fluid attack with lots of interchanges and rather similar tasks for all attackers.
That has not been happening at all in any of the games so far. If anything it's getting further and further away from that by each game.

Agree about the meaningless discussion about 433/4321/4312 when it involves the same players and a lot of interchanges are supposed to take place. In reality it's a 4-3-let's see what happens as Allegri described his "4-3-1-2", which also didn't have a classic trequartista role.

Both Rebic and Suso will probably have a wide starting point in the derby regardless of what Giampaolo has told them.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Giampaolo tried to take Suso out of his comfort zone, but he ran back into it and has stayed there since the 2nd half of the Udinese game.
It's no different to the RW role under Rino.

Giampaolo wants a fluid attack with lots of interchanges and rather similar tasks for all attackers.
That has not been happening at all in any of the games so far. If anything it's getting further and further away from that by each game.

Agree about the meaningless discussion about 433/4321/4312 when it involves the same players and a lot of interchanges are supposed to take place. In reality it's a 4-3-let's see what happens as Allegri described his "4-3-1-2", which also didn't have a classic trequartista role.

Both Rebic and Suso will probably have a wide starting point in the derby regardless of what Giampaolo has told them.

It happened exactly as you mentioned in the Udinese game, and it was a disaster.

I missed the Brescia game, so I'm not going to comment on that.

In the Verona game, we played against 10 men and the players did have to go wide to spread the field and spread Verona thin. Giampaolo asked them to do that and they did so.

From what I know of Giampaolo, he's quite insistent on the players following his directions. So let's see how it goes in the games to come. He will not accept players playing too wide, that ruins the entire point of his football.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
If Biglia starts then he needs to get more involved and dictate tempo better than he did against Verona. Suso will undoubtedly sit pretty wide, but that might not be a disaster if it unbalances Inter's defence a bit and Piatek and Rebic can make good runs.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
It happened exactly as you mentioned in the Udinese game, and it was a disaster.

I missed the Brescia game, so I'm not going to comment on that.

In the Verona game, we played against 10 men and the players did have to go wide to spread the field and spread Verona thin. Giampaolo asked them to do that and they did so.

From what I know of Giampaolo, he's quite insistent on the players following his directions. So let's see how it goes in the games to come. He will not accept players playing too wide, that ruins the entire point of his football.

Bresica was similar to the Verona game re: where Suso played on the pitch. Looked lost when more central and not at the right, so only sensible if he does start to play him where he can actually play football.

Just not sure if I believe in 433 even if narrow. Going from 4312 to 4321 to 433 narrow as if GP wants to build his formation around the players, which makes sense, but the team is struggling as it is.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Just not sure if I believe in 433 even if narrow. Going from 4312 to 4321 to 433 narrow as if GP wants to build his formation around the players, which makes sense, but the team is struggling as it is.

Only one change has been done since Udinese, and that was moving Suso a bit more to the right and putting the other attacker a bit more central.

Udinese was this:

------------------Piatek-----------
---SS----------------
------------Suso---------

After Suso failed to do anything in the central role, Giampaolo tweaked it to this:

----------Piatek--------------
----SS------------Suso----

You can call it a narrow 4-3-3 or a 4-3-2-1, it's all the same. As long as we have Suso as a starter, this style of play makes a lot of sense.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Possibly Leao instead of Rebic. I'd rather he was an alternative to Suso but the guy is clearly considered totally irreplaceable.

Tutt*sport - Milan, yesterday Giampaolo tried Suso and Rebic behind Piatek. The Croatian took turns with Leao
20.09.2019 10:22 by Enrico Ferrazzi

According to today's edition of **********, yesterday, during training at Milanello, Marco Giampaolo tried Ante Rebic and Suso behind Kris Piatek, with the Croatian who alternated with Rafael Leao. Tomorrow night against Inter, the Milan coach could also decide to give up the attacking midfielder.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
Possibly Leao instead of Rebic. I'd rather he was an alternative to Suso but the guy is clearly considered totally irreplaceable.

Tutt*sport - Milan, yesterday Giampaolo tried Suso and Rebic behind Piatek. The Croatian took turns with Leao
20.09.2019 10:22 by Enrico Ferrazzi

According to today's edition of **********, yesterday, during training at Milanello, Marco Giampaolo tried Ante Rebic and Suso behind Kris Piatek, with the Croatian who alternated with Rafael Leao. Tomorrow night against Inter, the Milan coach could also decide to give up the attacking midfielder.

either one >>> samu

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Only one change has been done since Udinese, and that was moving Suso a bit more to the right and putting the other attacker a bit more central.

Udinese was this:

------------------Piatek-----------
---SS----------------
------------Suso---------

After Suso failed to do anything in the central role, Giampaolo tweaked it to this:

----------Piatek--------------
----SS------------Suso----

You can call it a narrow 4-3-3 or a 4-3-2-1, it's all the same. As long as we have Suso as a starter, this style of play makes a lot of sense.

I'd argue it's closer to this:

--Piatek-----------
-------------Suso
-------AM

Paqueta wasn't playing on the left outside Piatek against Verona. When Rebic came on he went left, but clearly in the first half Suso was closer to Piatek who was tasked with pressing the left side.

The difference between a 433/21 and a 4312 is not minor. The counterpressing routines are totally different. The midfielders in 433 will press much more centrally, since the wingers can press the fullbacks. We're used to pressing like this for the last couple of years, but I really liked what was happening with the high narrow press of a 4312.

Maybe we still play the same with Rebic behind Piatek/Suso, attacking the space? This was always the intention to play this way, and it seems premature to revert to a 433, especially against a team that is not expected to defend deep all the time. With someone like Rebic we can always shift midgame to a 433 and attack wide with overlaps.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I'd argue it's closer to this:

--Piatek-----------
-------------Suso
-------AM

Paqueta wasn't playing on the left outside Piatek against Verona. When Rebic came on he went left, but clearly in the first half Suso was closer to Piatek who was tasked with pressing the left side.

The difference between a 433/21 and a 4312 is not minor. The counterpressing routines are totally different. The midfielders in 433 will press much more centrally, since the wingers can press the fullbacks. We're used to pressing like this for the last couple of years, but I really liked what was happening with the high narrow press of a 4312.

Maybe we still play the same with Rebic behind Piatek/Suso, attacking the space? This was always the intention to play this way, and it seems premature to revert to a 433, especially against a team that is not expected to defend deep all the time. With someone like Rebic we can always shift midgame to a 433 and attack wide with overlaps.

You are talking about the difference between a conventional 4-3-3 and a 4-3-1-2. Those are completely different systems, I agree. But I highly doubt Giampaolo would consider playing the conventional 4-3-3. It doesn't allow for the compact middle-of-the-field construction between the 6 players upfront.

Everything he's doing is the 4-3-1-2 system with variations in positions due to Suso's particular proclivities. The pressing tactic, constructing tactic all remain the same as it is in a 4-3-1-2. It's only the position on the field where Suso and Rebic starts out that changes.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Piatek
Rebic - Leao

������

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ah this lovely app has warned me that Mister's press conference has started. Tune in!

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
"Conti will play tomorrow. My impression is that he has developed and improved a lot. He has always been aware that he needed to improve his defense, he has been working very hard, and I'm convinced he has improved a lot. Tomorrow is a great chance for him. He's going to play a game, not fighting a war. So he should stay calm."

- necromancer's live update of Giampaolo press conference.

(Response to question whether Conti would play or Borini)

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
The midgets from inter will toy with biglia.

Let our own midget handle them please

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
"There is only Milan. I coach 23 players, I'm happy with all of them. But I won't talk about individual players, for me there's only Milan"

(Response to long-winded commoder level question as to when the new signings would start playing)

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
"There is only Milan. I coach 23 players, I'm happy with all of them. But I won't talk about individual players, for me there's only Milan"

(Response to long-winded commoder level question as to when the new signings would start playing)

Well said GP well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qaas

Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
"It was a good way to sell papers before the derby. There's no tension between us. We just had a chat".

(Response to 'How was the confrontation with Paqueta?')

Qaas

Reaction score
Fav. Players

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
"Biglia is an experienced player. Tomorrow we'll start the game with 11, and 14 players will contribute over the game."

(Response to 'Biglia or Bennacer? bla bla')

"Rebic is very enthusiastic, but he has only played for one week"

(Response to 'How's Rebic bro?')

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
"Conti will play tomorrow. My impression is that he has developed and improved a lot. He has always been aware that he needed to improve his defense, he has been working very hard, and I'm convinced he has improved a lot. Tomorrow is a great chance for him. He's going to play a game, not fighting a war. So he should stay calm."

giphy.gif

Qaas

Reaction score
Fav. Players

Schedule