Marco Borriello Thread

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Listen ... I know 12 months in football is a really long time, and a lot can change. BUT thats what football is all about. Taking a chance. We took a chance on Kaka' that paid off brilliantly. As did A. with playing Pirlo as a holding midfielder. The crucial thing is, making a calculated decision. Some hailed Oil, FatFag, etc. while others didn't ... and for me, from what I've seen of him, he doesn't have the quality that I expect from a leading striker at Milan. Someone who will work well with Pato and Kaka'. I might be wrong, but this is my opinion. I think a starting strike partner to Pato should be a priority for us ... alongside a starting keeper. With or without Bori.

Cristina

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Pato, Balotelli
I can picture Borriello as being a supersub in most matches.
Definately behind Pato and a healthy Inzaghi.

Lisa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini
Kaka_Milan said:
I can picture Borriello as being a supersub in most matches.
Definately behind Pato and a healthy Inzaghi.

I don't think Borriello sees that picture. He's already said he wants to be the main guy and he's not too thrilled with Galliani trying to sign more strikers. I guess he doesn't want any sort of competition.

MilanMarkus

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
From goal.com:

12/07/2008 22:55
If Strikers Come In, Borriello May Walk - Agent
Marco Borriello's agent has warned Milan that if they recruit one or two more strikers, his client may choose to move elsewhere in order to be guaranteed more playing opportunities...

This clown should be thankful that he is allowed in our squad.

adieet

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
well...let see if he can scores...thats ll be good for us anyway...
pato - boriello at front...

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
MilanMarkus said:
From goal.com:

Marco Borriello's agent has warned Milan that if they recruit one or two more strikers, his client may choose to move elsewhere in order to be guaranteed more playing opportunities...

Lets be fair to him that is his agent speaking & alot of agents do not say what the player thinks half of the time.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
If he is any kind of man he will stay and fight for his place. If he is good enough he will be in the team. Its not as if we have a load of world class strikers is it.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
LOL ... so because we've signed him, we cannot sign anyone else? Who does he (or his agent ... but he is representing Bori anyway) think he is?

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Calcio Debate: Borriello To Milan - Masterstroke Or Mistake?

* »Comments
* Print This Story
* Send To A Friend
* Contact Us

Calcio Debate: Borriello To Milan - Masterstroke Or Mistake?
galleria zoom

This has been the case for the few and not the many, but Milan has lost millions in these fruitless acquisitions. The new season brings new players and new expectations linked to the impact these players will have for their clubs.

Milan have not been quiet in the transfer market during the summer, making waves and if reports are to be trusted, contacting various clubs with offers for their players. The attack has been of major concern and offers have been made for Ronaldinho, Adebayor, Drogba and Eto’o.

As far as attacking players go, the Rossoneri have added the name of Marco Borriello to their roster for the season ahead. A striker with a real sense for goal and a strong physique, Borriello scored 19 goals for Genoa in Serie A last season to finish third in the goal scoring charts behind the Juventus pair of Alessandro Del Piero and David Trezeguet. Nineteen goals is a very impressive return for any centre forward, and so on 29 May Milan paid around 10 million euros plus Davide Di Gennaro to secure the other half of Borriello’s contract. This means that Milan value him at over 20 million euros. No pressure Marco!

Borriello grew up in the Milan youth ranks before graduating to the first team, but after making his Serie A debut in the 2002/2003 season he received very little playing time and ended up going to a host of smaller clubs on loan. It was at Genoa last season that the Neapolitan striker began to shine, single-handedly lifting the minnows of Italian football and surprising opponents along the way to a respectable 10th place finish in Serie A. His 19 goals made Milan stand up and take notice, and finally he is back at the place where he started, ready to show what he is made of.

Looking at his attributes Marco Borriello seems to be a complete striker. Physically strong, fast and good in the air, this player is a threat with both feet and has the ability to create for others as well. Borriello holds up the ball well and is a menace for defenders with his imposing size causing problems in the penalty area. Another useful facet of his game is his ability to take penalty kicks, as he showed last season with five strikes from the spot.

In terms of experience Borriello comes up a bit short, but considering his age this is no mystery and big game experience is attainable as he has time on his side. The 26-year-old is still relatively young, but is by no means a spring chicken. Borriello should theoretically be entering the prime of his football career over the next few years, adding to his responsibility to impact on this Milan team. Borriello was called up for his Italy debut at the beginning of this year, playing the final 20 minutes of the Azzurri’s friendly win against Portugal. He has since come on as a substitute in two other games, but played no part at Euro 2008 despite being in the squad.

All transfer activity at Milan seems to run closely through Carlo Ancelotti, who would have okayed the Borriello deal, but it remains another point of debate as to how much playing time the striker will get. In the past few seasons at Milan he played a handful of games, all under the current coach. If Ancelotti is willing to play him more often and rely on him as the major striker, Borriello could repay the faith Milan are showing in him. This scenario could be hindered by the possible transfer to Milan of a star centre forward, so often reported in the media. No matter how many strikers Milan begin the season with, Borriello’s performances will depend on his confidence and the confidence shown in him by the club.

What is your opinion on this striker? Is he a superstar ready to shine, or a small club player who will struggle at a big club like Milan? Are Milan foolish to believe in the player, or visionary in attaining him at the right time? Lets hear what your views are.

Peter Pedroncelli

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Agents spew a lot of verbal fecal matter, so we really shouldn't hold it against Borriello.

kevin_dk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
MilanMarkus said:
From goal.com:

How old is he? And is he a professional player? Is he selfish or distrustful in himself? Act maturely please.

What if Milan listened to him and would not sign anybody else and he sucks for the whole next season? Milan sign new people and he does not have to worry about Milan's budget. He plays well and he gets the money. The dude knows he cannot compete with other quality strikers, that he does. If he does not then he would not have said this shit.

Stop the bullshit "Genoa recognized my talent and power, it might have been better if I had stayed at Genoa". Oh yeah buddy, there are not that many world class players at Genoa as there are in Milan so I somehow figured out why you were the king in Genoa.

He is talking like he is being discriminated by Milan. Listen, he could not prove himself in the past and that is why he struggled from teams to teams as Milan lent him to the others.

His good season at Genoa has to be admitted as he did a really good job but it might have been because of the ones who supported him in the midfield or simply his luck.

If he cannot fit into Milan's style like Gilardino, he will be gone, again. And he should not bitch about it.

Hey dude, wake up, you are in AC Milan, not Genoa. LOL. Done typing.

------

Zenetti of Inter Merda are welcoming Lampard or even Essien and I feel sorry for Borriello in term of professional attitude.

Last edited:

peters

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
look at this from a player's perspective too. He was called up to euro because he proved he can play football and there is no way he can see WC or any qualifying matches if he is warming bench for milan.

Its up to him to decide, if he wants regular football he should choose different club where he can be main striking force. If he wants fame with sitting and possible glory with world famous club than he is right to stay in milan and try to fight for his place. He should know better before... but either way, it was his agent talking, not him.

However, with injury prone inzaghi and possible ronaldinho coming (no additional striker) he should have enough chances to prove himself this year...

Lisa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini
Marco suffered a right knee injury in practice today. He'll be further examined tomorrow.

acmilan.com

Last edited:

DiMilan

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tutti i Giocatori del Milan
Lisa said:
Marco suffered a right knee injury in practice today. He'll be further examed tomorrow.

acmilan.com

i also just read that... thats exactly what we did not need for him. but lets see and wait what the exams will show.

Emerson, Inzaghi, Borriello and Nesta are all having injury problems :head: :head:

Giancarlo

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Inzaghi, Kaka, Pirlo, Borriello, Pato, Ronaldinho
Depending on how severe it is, there is a potential Milan may be either forced to keep Alberto Paloschi (or if he is loaned), promote Willy Aubameyang to senior squad... or even buy another striker.

http://www.goal.com/en-US/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=792916

The hit-man, who scored 19 goals last season in Serie A, went down awkwardly in training on Saurday afternoon and the club have now confirmed their worst fears.

“Borriello has suffered a distortion in his right knee,” reads a report from the Milan medical team on the club’s official website.

The Italian intenational is now set to undergo further tests at Milan lab on Sunday to verify the extent of the damage but initial reports seem to suggest he will be out for at least 60 days.

This latest set-back is likely to leave Carlo Ancelotti with severe head aches up front as Alexandre Pato is on international duty and Filippo Inzaghi is also injured.

Therefore, in theory, Milan have no-one up front as teenager, Alberto Paloschi, is in the middle of negotiating a move to Torino but it seems like he will be prevented from joining the Granata.

It’s not what Milan wanted at such a crucial stage of pre-season.

---

Or there is a potential we could be forced to buy someone else. I've always been an advocate of Quagliarella for example...

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Marco suffered a right knee injury in practice today. He'll be further examined tomorrow.

acmilan.com
Wonderful. The guy Galliani gushed about incessantly during the offseason gets hurt in less than 24 hours since returning to Milanello.

This, Kalac our starter, Nesta on the DL with a bad back. Are we cursed all of a sudden?

Giancarlo

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Beemer said:
Wonderful. The guy Galliani gushed about incessantly during the offseason gets hurt in less than 24 hours since returning to Milanello.

This, Kalac our starter, Nesta on the DL with a bad back. Are we cursed all of a sudden?

Perhaps a bit of bad luck. But I view our transfer season otherwise... we got lucky with it especially with regards to R80. I hear Nesta is going to be fine too.

This could have a silver lining. Paloschi could end up staying or we could buy another striker.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
we're gonna start our season w/ paloschi, seedorf and kaka.... nothing has changed.

On that note, should borriellos inury be more serious, perhaps an inquiry on berbatov might happen.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm disappointed that Borriello suffered a knee injury (one that appears to be somewhat serious), but at the same time I think it will serve some good if we end up keeping Paloschi for the upcoming season. I have a feeling that Paloschi is going to play a major role in the future and I'd love to see him get some playing time in front of Kaka and Ronadinho. Management was being stupid with the striker situation anyway if they thought for a second that having Pato (young), Borriello (unproven), and Inzaghi (old & injury prone) was sufficient enough to make a run at the Champion's League let alone the Scudetto. We need to buy another player capable of playing up top, or keep Paloschi at the very least.... I want to see Palsochi get some more time this year as he was almost always impressive when he saw the field last season.

Hopefully Borriello will recover and prove that he is worth the money we paid for him, but I have my doubts.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
yeah but paloschi isnt a phenom like pato, bojan or balotelli. nothing against him.. but itsrare for a kid at 18 to be THAT good. I believe paloschi will be the future... however, he needs time to develop.... IF management really plans to keep him and borriellos out for a prolonged period, we are in for a rough start.

oh wait, we have a good keeper to save us. and a stellar defense..... no injuries/problems there

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We can't count on Paloschi having a world-beater season by any means. He's good, but not like a Pato, and still needs time to mature.

ecI

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Van Basten, Pippo, Nesta, Baresi, C. Vela, Kaka, Ochoa, Antonini, Pato, T. Silva
As soon as he is back he will make up for his absence with an abundance of goals.

Giancarlo

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Milano84 said:
yeah but paloschi isnt a phenom like pato, bojan or balotelli. nothing against him.. but itsrare for a kid at 18 to be THAT good. I believe paloschi will be the future... however, he needs time to develop.... IF management really plans to keep him and borriellos out for a prolonged period, we are in for a rough start.

oh wait, we have a good keeper to save us. and a stellar defense..... no injuries/problems there

How is Balotelli any better than Paloschi? Pato and Bojan are better than Balotelli or Paloschi... right now at least. But Balotelli has similar stats to Paloschi.

I do not think we will be getting another striker. So we will in the end keep Paloschi. Borriello having his injury was probably bad news for Torino too as they wanted to have Paloschi on loan.

At any rate, as far as Inzaghi is concerned I hear it's nothing too serious.

As far our defense, it seems like we are fine. Abbiati is a great keeper too and I hope Carlo reconsiders his decision. As long as Dida stays far away from the pitch, we should be fine.

Last edited:

Diavolo_7

Il Diavolo Siciliano
Reaction score
Giancarlo said:
How is Balotelli any better than Paloschi? Pato and Bojan are better than Balotelli or Paloschi... right now at least. But Balotelli has similar stats to Paloschi.

Regardless of what their stats look like (Balotelli does have more Serie A goals and assists than Paloschi by the way), Balotelli is the better prospect. Just imagine if both players were for sale. Who do you think would demand a larger fee? That's not a knock against Paloschi by any means but Balotelli is the superior talent. Of course, that doesn't mean Paloschi's future isn't very bright.

I agree with the previous post that right now, Paloschi isn't ready to be depended on by a Serie A team looking to win the scudetto.

Last edited:

Giancarlo

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Diavolo_7 said:
Regardless of what their stats look like (Balotelli does have more Serie A goals and assists than Paloschi by the way), Balotelli is the better prospect. Just imagine if both players were for sale. Who do you think would demand a larger fee? That's not a knock against Paloschi by any means but Balotelli is the superior talent. Of course, that doesn't mean Paloschi's future isn't very bright.

I agree with the previous post that right now, Paloschi isn't ready to be depended on by a Serie A team looking to win the scudetto.

Respectfully disagreed. I don't think Balotelli is better at all, and besides that what an ego that kid has. If anything you've seen him say... he's actually claimed he's better than Ibra (who I hate), but even I know that's a load of bull.

I don't think Balotelli is better at all (and not just because he plays with Inter). I just think he's overrated.

Anyways, I must get going. One last thing... if Borriello's injury is serious, we may be looking at buying a new striker from what I hearing. And if Tottenham are that desperate to not sell to ManU we may get them in a bargaining spot... as far as Berbatov is concerned.

Schedule