China
Costa Rica

June 3 Brazil v Turkey
June 4 China v Costa Rica
June 8 Brazil v China
June 9 Turkey v Costa Rica
June 13 Brazil v Costa Rica
June 13 Turkey v China

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Group D:
Portugal
Poland
South Korea
United States

June 4 South Korea v Poland
June 5 United States v Portugal
June 10 South Korea v United States
June 10 Poland v Portugal
June 14 South Korea v Portugal
June 14 Poland v United States

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seamus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Anyone playing for AC Milan
Group C:
1. Brazil - 9
2. Turkey - 4
3. Costa Rica - 3
4. China - 1

June 3 Brazil 3-1 Turkey-------Correct Winner: Brazil 2-1 Turkey
June 4 China 0-1 Costa Rica-------Correct Winner: China 0-2 Costa Rica
June 8 Brazil 4-0 China
June 9 Turkey 2-1 Costa Rica
June 13 Brazil 1-0 Costa Rica
June 13 Turkey 1-1 China

Group D:
1. Portugal - 7
2. Poland - 5
3. South Korea - 2
4. United States - 1

June 4 South Korea 1-1 Poland-------Wrong: South Korea 2-0 Poland
June 5 United States 1-3 Portugal-------Wrong: United Stated 3-2 Portugal (who would've figured :D)
June 10 South Korea 2-2 United States
June 10 Poland 2-2 Portugal
June 14 South Korea 1-2 Portugal
June 14 Poland 2-1 United States

efford

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Seamus said:
Group C:
June 9 Turkey 2-1 Costa Rica
June 13 Brazil 1-0 Costa Rica

Huh?? :conf: ?!?!
Are you saying that Turkey and Brazil will both only win by 1 goal?
That turkey is as good as Brazil regarding that game?? i dont think so man...

i say AT LEAST
Brazil 2-0 Costa Rica (maybe 3-0)
Turkey 1-0 Costa Rica

Serbian Rossoneri

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
June 3 Brazil v Turkey 1 (But maybe X)
June 4 China v Costa Rica X
June 8 Brazil v China 1
June 9 Turkey v Costa Rica 1
June 13 Brazil v Costa Rica 1
June 13 Turkey v China 1

Brasil 9
Turkey 6
China 1
Costa Rica 1
Group D:
Portugal
Poland
South Korea
United States

June 4 South Korea v Poland 1
June 5 United States v Portugal 2
June 10 South Korea v United States X
June 10 Poland v Portugal 2
June 14 South Korea v Portugal 2
June 14 Poland v United States 1

Portugal 9
South Korea 4
Poland 3
USA 1

Seamus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ozmosis - Posted: Mon May 27, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject:

uh?? ?!?!
Are you saying that Turkey and Brazil will both only win by 1 goal?
That turkey is as good as Brazil regarding that game?? i dont think so man...

i say AT LEAST
Brazil 2-0 Costa Rica (maybe 3-0)
Turkey 1-0 Costa Rica

No, not at all. I just think that Brazil is going to have a tough times and struggle in the tournment at points and great times at points. I don't know why, but for some reason I think that. Call it a hunch. If I remember correctly they played them well in a a recent friendly. If you notice I have Brazil beating China 4-0.

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All I can say is that you've underrated Costa Rica. ;)

Seamus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
David- Posted: Tue May 28, 2002 5:30 am Post subject:

All I can say is that you've underrated Costa Rica

Are you talking to Ozmo or me? I don't think I have underrated Costa Rica at all. I think they have a good team. Wanchope and Fonseca are good quality fowards. The only big doubt I have about them is their defence, playing w/ only 3 defenders. Granted they play 5 midfielders, so they should always have someone back helping, but they can be beat. It will be a toss-up who gets that 2nd qualifing spot.

Rex

Reaction score
In Group C, I'd go for Brazil and Turkey
About Group D, I'd go for Portugal and Poland.

:)

Seamus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Brazil 2-1 Turkey: Same old story for Brazil as it has been for the past couple of years. Great individual players, not very good team work. They finally pulled it out, but had a lot of problem getting the job finished and in the end won on a penatly. Turkey looked decent and still has a shot at 2nd place.

Untitled

Primavera
Reaction score
That was disgraceful from Rivaldo at the end. He got hit in the knee by the ball and then grabbed his face. At first, i thought he got hit by something thrown from the crowd. But then I saw the replay.... :D
It looks really funny in slow motion.

Seamus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yes it was pretty sad. The guys who is in the office next to me is from Brazil and he said that Rivaldo was disgracefull and that even he thinks he should be banned for a game. Which is looking quite possible. They said that they want to crack down on players taking a dive this year, and he is so stupid he completely admitted that he faked it. 2 dumb ass moves on his part. And what is up with the penalty they got. he was a good 3 meters out of the box. and they gave them the penalty kick??? Very sad. :head:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rivaldo Could Face Fifa Ban
-----www.soccerage.com--06/03/2002.

(Associated Press) - The Barcelona man may be set for a stint on the sidelines. Rivaldo could face a fine and a ban after Fifa confirmed it is to study video evidence of the Brazilian's incident with Turkey's Hakan Unsal.

In the dying moments of the game Rivaldo went down clutching his face after the Turk kicked the ball at his legs in frustration. Unsal was then given his second yellow card of the game.

"The ball didn't hit my face. I used my experience and turned the situation out in our favor", Rivaldo confessed after the match.

Serbian Rossoneri

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Seamus said:
Yes it was pretty sad. The guys who is in the office next to me is from Brazil and he said that Rivaldo was disgracefull and that even he thinks he should be banned for a game. Which is looking quite possible. They said that they want to crack down on players taking a dive this year, and he is so stupid he completely admitted that he faked it. 2 dumb ass moves on his part. And what is up with the penalty they got. he was a good 3 meters out of the box. and they gave them the penalty kick??? Very sad. :head:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rivaldo Could Face Fifa Ban
-----www.soccerage.com--06/03/2002.

(Associated Press) - The Barcelona man may be set for a stint on the sidelines. Rivaldo could face a fine and a ban after Fifa confirmed it is to study video evidence of the Brazilian's incident with Turkey's Hakan Unsal.

In the dying moments of the game Rivaldo went down clutching his face after the Turk kicked the ball at his legs in frustration. Unsal was then given his second yellow card of the game.

"The ball didn't hit my face. I used my experience and turned the situation out in our favor", Rivaldo confessed after the match.

Well brasil have 4 titles... big names in team... so every referee help them :(

it's not fair!

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
muahahahah :D :D :D

usa is leading 2:0 against portugal :conf: :D :D

did anybody mentioned portugal as a finalist!? ha ha :D

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
3:2 for usa

own goal! :D

seamus, don't your players know that the side changes after the half time!? :conf: :D :D

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
ha ha ha :D

oh my gosh... usa actually beat portugal!? after all this laughing my face is >>> :conf:

our new, world champion lost from 32nd on the last world cup :D :D

football italia
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
USA 3:2 PORTUGAL
O’Brien 3, Donovan 29, McBride 36, Beto 39, Agoos og 71

USA have pulled off one of the biggest shocks in World Cup Finals history by beating Portugal 3-2.

The Portuguese were firm favourites to collect the three points but they left themselves with too much to do after they fell three goals behind within the first 40 minutes of the game.

Portugal’s hopes of a comfortable victory were immediately dashed as America hit the front after just three minutes. A header by McBride was adequately saved by Vitor Baia but John O’Brien collected the rebound to slash home the opener.

The Europeans were visibly shell shocked and things just got worse. Jorge Costa lost the ball on the right to Landon Donovan. The youngster’s attempted cross hit Costa on the side of the face and sneaked past Baia and the near post to give them an unlikely, yet deserved, second.

In the 35th minute Earnie Stewart posed more threat then just 60 seconds later USA had a third. An inch perfect cross from Sanneh was whipped in from the right and McBride powerfully headed home from inside the six yard box to make it 3-0.

That goal seemed to wake up Portugal who finished the first half in attack mode. And they narrowed the gap on 39 minutes after the US failed to clear from a corner and Beto beat Friedel from close range.

Both Manuel Rui Costa and Jorge Costa had chances for Portugal before they did net another thanks to an American defender. A cross from the left by Pauleta was poorly dealt with by Agoos who ended up volleying the ball into his own net to make it 3-2.

Portugal increased the pressure but a mixture of stern defending and poor incisive passing from Portugal saw Bruce Arena’s men hold on for an unbelievable victory.

USA: Friedel; Sanneh, Pope (Llamosa 80), Agoos, Hejduk, Mastroeni, Stewart (Jones 46), Beasley, O’Brien, McBride, Donovan (Moore 75)

Portugal: Vitor Baia; Beto, Couto, Jorge Costa (Andrade 74), Rui Jorge (Bento 69); Conceicao, Petit, Figo, Rui Costa (Nuno Gomes 80); Pauleta, Joao Pinto

Ref: Moreno (Ecu)

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
:devilsmi:

WTF was that? I just got home from school and this is STUNNING! :eek:

They'll replay the match in 3 hours. Once again: WTF WAS THAT?!!! :eek:

Alex

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I have to say something: the second gola of USA, Landon Donovan was offside. I don't understand the assistant referee doesn't call it ?

It's another prove that football is lead by corruption.

USA have won the battle, but not the war.

Força Portugal

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
yes, portugal is the WC champion! :D

anyway, check this out:
player ratings from soccerage
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
USA

Brad Friedel 6,5

Frankie Hejduk 7

Pablo Mastroeni 6,5

John O'Brien 7

Earnie Stewart 7
(Cobi Jones, 46') 6

Jeff Agoos 6,5

DaMarcus Beasley 7,5

Brian McBride 7

Landon Donovan 7
(Joe Max Moore, 75') n.e.

Anthony Sannah 8

Eddie Pope 7
(Carlos Llamosa, 80') n.e.

THE BEST

All of team USA played a fantastic match, but Anthony Sannah was an offensive threat and a defensive wall. Assisted McBride for team USA's third of the afternoon.

THE WORST

When a team performs one of the biggest upsets of World Cup history, it would be unfair to point out one player who disappointed.

Portugal

Vitor Baia 4,5

Jorge Costa 5
(Andrade, 74') n.e.

Fernando Couto 5

Luis Figo 5

Joao Pinto 5

Pauleta 4

Rui Costa 4
(Nuno Gomes, 80') n.e.

Sergio Conceicao 6

Petit 5,5

Beto 6

Rui Jorge 5
(Paulo Bento, 69') 6,5

THE BEST

?

THE WORST

If an entire team plays this bad, it can only be the coach's fault. Antonio Oliveira, you are to be blamed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

strong.gif
MIGHTY PORTUGAL!!!
strong.gif

ha ha ha :D

Alex

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
sharatz, do you what means: corruption ?

USA paid referres or Portuguese staff to let USA win.

Go in front of the TV you'll see that the second USA goal, Landon Donovan was offside.

Portugal have lost because a ignorant Ecuadorian referre don't opens his eyes and don't whistle.

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
diavoletto, i haven't seen the game since i was in school BUT! but even if it was an offside/foul/hand ball... etc, that doesn't mean that the refree and the whole WC organisation is corrupcted! haven't you seen the brasil game? haven't you seen the famous maradona goal when he scored with his HAND!? so it seems that every WC is corrupted. yeah right! :)

ozmo, btw, WC´98 : iran 0-1 yugoslavia ;)

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
seamus, where are you man!? there is no reason to be shy! :D

there you go, a little support for you:

usa.gif

:mad: DON'T MESS WITH THE USA!!! :mad:

:D :D

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
football italia:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comment: Flair not enough

strong.gif
USA
strong.gif
have underlined the fact that flair, fantasy and reputation alone will not guarantee victory in this World Cup, as Portugal found out to their cost on Wednesday.

"No one thought we could win this game and Portugal were the favourites on paper, but at the World Cup you have to win it on the field," said
strong.gif
US
strong.gif
boss Bruce Arena.

The
strong.gif
Americans
strong.gif
pulled off a shock victory of gigantic proportions after their 3-2 defeat of a Portuguese side, that many had considered as possible outsiders for the tournament. (scharatz says: where are you david?)

But they won’t be winning too many admirers after today’s performance in which they seemed to underestimate the task ahead as the
strong.gif
US
strong.gif
swiftly took a grip of the proceedings to sail into a 3-0 lead.

The aggressive and well organised
strong.gif
Americans
strong.gif
exploited the lack of bite in the Portugal midfield that seems heavily reliant on the flair of Manuel Rui Costa and Luis Figo. The fact is that when Portugal had the ball they lost it too cheaply. Something that star man Figo acknowledged.

"We have to recognise that we made some mistakes that under normal circumstances we would not have committed," he maintained. "We lost because of these errors and this can not happen in a top competition like this one. When you are 3-0 down it is very difficult to recover."

Another factor that made Portugal’s task even harder was the poor form of both Rui Costa and Figo. The Milan man seemed to continue where he left off for his Italian club. And any aspirations of reaching the latter stages will be dependent on the former Benfica star re-finding his Florentine touch.

But
strong.gif
USA
strong.gif
must be complimented on their enthralling victory. They played balls into space which seemed to create an endless amount of problems for ageing defenders Fernando Couto and Jorge Costa.

"This is a great win for the
strong.gif
US
strong.gif
and our guys deserved to get the three points, but our World Cup is not over," continued Arena. "We have a very tough match next against South Korea and we still need more points to get through to the second round."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

where are you seamus? :D

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I've only seen the first half and I could say:
> first two US goals were lucky --> an own goal like that you don't see every day ;)
> Portugal sucked big time. They were obviously having a superiority complex
> I cannot positively remark anyone from neither team
> that's about it. Portugal deserved it so that next time they won't underestimate their opponents

One more thing: I'm pretty dissapointed by the fact US has won because I have a feeling that this will change nothing regarding the way most Americans look to FOOTBALL. Am I right Seamus? Did this win had a big impact in US? Did the media made a huge fuss about it? I have a feeling it didn't.

Regards,
:mad: ;) :( HAI ROMANIA! :mad: ;) :(
David

Seamus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I don't really know wat to say. Wait yes I do...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
fef_003-1.gif

I am kind of out of it right now. I only got about 3 hours sleep. The games here are on at 11:30pm, 2:30am and 4:30 am. I went to my friends house last night to watch the games and didn't get home till about 7:30 this morning. I fell really bad for the guy who lives downstairs from him because we were yelling our asses off from 2:30 till 4:40 in the moring.
A couple of thoughts. We played extreamly well (save for Agoos scoring a fine goal on ourselves) compared to the way they have played for the last couple of months. Our defence was solid and our fowards and midfielders were creating. I will admit that we were lucky to get the win and Portugal had better possession, but we played hard and Portugal didn't. Simple as that. Even if you take away the own goals we still would have won. Yes the USA's 1st goal was lucky, but it was good positioning by O'Brien(he learned it from Chivu at Ajax), 2nd goal was a lucky fluke, 3rd goal was great and we definatly deserved it.
I have to give a ton of credit to Bruce Arena for getting them together so fast. Did anyone see them play Germany in the friendly, the US looked pathetic, and it wasn't much better against Ireland. In 1 month he improved their play 5 times over and they went out there missing 2 of their best players (Claudia Reyna and Clint Mathis) and beat Portugal. :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) You might see Mathis next year as Perugia is thinking about signing him.

David-----Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:55 am    Post subject:

One more thing: I'm pretty dissapointed by the fact US has won because I have a feeling that this will change nothing regarding the way most Americans look to FOOTBALL. Am I right Seamus? Did this win had a big impact in US? Did the media made a huge fuss about it? I have a feeling it didn't.

Like I said the game are on here in the middle of the night, but us die hard fans are there to root. I have gone to bars 2 different nights to watch the games and both time the bars were packed with people till aroung 6 in the moring. I won't know if the media is going to make a big deal about the US win yet. I slept through the morning news, but will watch this evening. The papers are printed and sent out before the game even ended so this mornings WC reports was on the Korea and Costa Rica wins and the JAP/BEL draw. I can tell you that ESPN has been all over the US win and has been giving soccer a ton of shows and specials in primetime TV (ESPN is the USA's Sky Sports)

----------------------------------------------------------------
USA punish poor Portugal
-----ESPNSoccerNet.com - 6-5-02 World Cup 2002 Match Report

John O'Brien, Landon Donovan and Brian McBride were the all-American heroes in an astonishing first 45 minutes which saw the highly-rated Portuguese embarrassed on three occasions.

Inevitably, Portugal fought back and breached the American defences twice to get within a goal of their opponents but the USA held out for a fully-deserved victory.

Player of the Match
Winning every header and terrorising Fernando Couto, Brian McBride led the line with distinction and deserved his goal - a perfectly executed diving header. [+]The United States pulled off one of the great World Cup upsets today to topple the might of Portugal.

The Americans' World Cup performances in the past have registered barely a flicker of interest back home, and with the time difference and the States focused on the NBA basketball play-offs there might have been less than usual, but this result will have put football - sorry, soccer - on the map.
the full math report is @
http://worldcup.espnsoccernet.com/report?match=48823&lang=en

usfans350x245.jpg

ABOVE: USA Fans
BELOW:AN AMERICAN DREAM
One of the biggest shocks in World Cup history is celebrated by the United States players, led by Frankie Hedjuk, after their 3-2 win over Portugal.
usceleb350x245.jpg

Rex

Reaction score
Good start for USA, they defeated Portugal who is including seeded team in this WC. I think they can advance to 2nd round, at least take a top spot or runner-up. ;)

Serbian Rossoneri

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
i am sure that they will go to 2th round!
if they continiue to play like against portugal, they can do many things!

Alex

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
As Canadian with Portuguese past, USA 3-2 Portugal :cry: :( :gun: :rocketki: :rocketwh:

Why Portugal plays in the air ? they style are to play on the floor, too much crossing. Pauleta is not only the striker who can score, Joao Pinto, Nuno Gomes can scores.

Schedule