Italian Football Thread III

Mr Delicious

Banned
Reaction score
People seem to think that Juventus coming within 7 or so games of an unbeaten title season and then losing to their title rivals wouldn't have mentally crushed them.

We were ahead at that point and would have gone further ahead with a win. The ghost goal ruined our morale and helped theirs, while it would have ruined theirs and helped ours if Muntari's goal was given.

Youre overemphasizing its effects. Regardless its all speculation. Lots of factors went into us losing that title

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
Youre overemphasizing its effects. Regardless its all speculation. Lots of factors went into us losing that title

Dude cmon. Not this debate again. We were robbed that year.

Mr Delicious

Banned
Reaction score
Dude cmon. Not this debate again. We were robbed that year.

The Muntari ghost goal wasnt the only reason we lost the title. Injuries and poor tactics contributed. Kuja assumed juves season would have been fucked. Football is unpredictable, Conte is a great motivator. Who fucking knows what would have happened if the goal counted. Thats my point.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
The Muntari ghost goal wasnt the only reason we lost the title. Injuries and poor tactics contributed. Kuja assumed juves season would have been fucked. Football is unpredictable, Conte is a great motivator. Who fucking knows what would have happened if the goal counted. Thats my point.
here ya go
cookiemonster.gif

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
It's completely reasonable to assume that Juventus would have crumbled, having not won the title since 2003 and losing to their only title rivals to end their ~30 game unbeaten run.

Football is unpredictable, sure, but that one event fired up Juve and fucked up our morale. Simple. We would have beaten Juve, ended their unbeaten run and gone further ahead in the title race. Instead, we were hugely wronged and didn't go further ahead.

I don't care if I'm beating a dead horse. People that understate the effect of the atrocious decision are just laughable.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It's completely reasonable to assume that Juventus would have crumbled, having not won the title since 2003 and losing to their only title rivals to end their ~30 game unbeaten run.

Football is unpredictable, sure, but that one event fired up Juve and fucked up our morale. Simple. We would have beaten Juve, ended their unbeaten run and gone further ahead in the title race. Instead, we were hugely wronged and didn't go further ahead.

I don't care if I'm beating a dead horse. People that understate the effect of the atrocious decision are just laughable.

There is understating, and then there is understanding that the decision had some bearing on the Scudetto.

Then there's overstating.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
They had a valid goal cancelled in like the 70th minute.

We would have already been 2-0 up. The whole thing would have gone differently.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
didnt they also had a valid goal canceled in that game?

Yes, Matri's.

We didn't win the Scudetto that year because we couldn't beat a single team who were remotely good at defending. Perhaps we would've, if important players like KPB, Aqua, TS and MVB weren't injured/unavailable all the time and we didn't have false midfielders(Noce) starting every game. Instead we were a predictable Ibra+10 side who would be easily shut down and beaten on the counters and set pieces by any above average side who were willing to park the bus(Arsenal and Enrique's Roma are among the few who weren't).

That gol di Muntari Juve game was an anomaly, since Ibra was suspended, but I'm not sure we would've won even if we had gone 2 goals up. We started out strongly, but quickly tired out and Juve took over the game completely when Conte switched to 4-3-3. We don't know how the game would've ended if the Muntari goal was allowed. I don't think it was decisive since we kept losing big games and Ibra always has a post-CL elimination depression where he drags the whole team down with him(but he was also the reason we were in the title race for so long).

Can't blame Allegri though(except maybe for the injuries). A flat-track bully side was the best we could wish for, with all those injuries. He got the big game results in 10/11 season and with Juve. It's a whole lot easier when there's some continuity and quality in more than just one part of the team.

Mr Delicious

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, Matri's.

We didn't win the Scudetto that year because we couldn't beat a single team who were remotely good at defending. Perhaps we would've, if important players like KPB, Aqua, TS and MVB weren't injured/unavailable all the time and we didn't have false midfielders(Noce) starting every game. Instead we were a predictable Ibra+10 side who would be easily shut down and beaten on the counters and set pieces by any above average side who were willing to park the bus(Arsenal and Enrique's Roma are among the few who weren't).

That gol di Muntari Juve game was an anomaly, since Ibra was suspended, but I'm not sure we would've won even if we had gone 2 goals up. We started out strongly, but quickly tired out and Juve took over the game completely when Conte switched to 4-3-3. We don't know how the game would've ended if the Muntari goal was allowed. I don't think it was decisive since we kept losing big games and Ibra always has a post-CL elimination depression where he drags the whole team down with him(but he was also the reason we were in the title race for so long).

Can't blame Allegri though(except maybe for the injuries). A flat-track bully side was the best we could wish for, with all those injuries. He got the big game results in 10/11 season and with Juve. It's a whole lot easier when there's some continuity and quality in more than just one part of the team.

Wow :lol:

Quality post :thumbsup:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Losing to Fiorentina at home? Drawing with Bologna at home?

:fp:

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Weren't both of those results after the Juventus game?

Wasn't there another ghost goal in the Bologna game?

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Yes, Matri's.

We didn't win the Scudetto that year because we couldn't beat a single team who were remotely good at defending.

I don't see the logic behind this since we had more wins than Juve that season. :lol:

Referees were the main reason we lost that season, we were clearly the best team since we had the most wins.

But the referees that season was hilarious, something I haven't witnessed til this day nor do I think will ever witness again

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Sorry, it just sounds so dumb. Well, it is too...

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Before gol di Muntari
8w0gpl.jpg

After gol di Muntari
2i0dkw0.jpg

Looks pretty similar. We had no problem dealing with the small teams and bootleg-Barca(Roma), but struggled badly against top teams and the best provincial team(Bologna). The Catania away game was between the CL 1/8 games against Barca.

You can add Udinese to the big game exceptions since Ibra also missed that one.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
we lost it because of Allegri

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
I am with kuja on this

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Junior & Messias
That's a season i want to forget, but still miss that team dearly, because you know... Our current state.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Another robbery.

It didn't look like the whole ball was in. Catania's Gomez on the other hand scored a goal that was ruled offside, but he looked onside on the replays.

Fiorentina away. There's a game where we were robbed(still a shit performance though).

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
It didn't look like the whole ball was in. Catania's Gomez on the other hand scored a goal that was ruled offside, but he looked onside on the replays.
The guy who passed Gomez was offside tho. And we had 2 offside decisions go against us that were like 3 meters or sth. Really out of the usual tight spot decisions where anyone could guess wrong.

Or was all that vs Fiorentina?

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The guy who passed Gomez was offside tho. And we had 2 offside decisions go against us that were like 3 meters or sth. Really out of the usual tight spot decisions where anyone could guess wrong.

Or was all that vs Fiorentina?

Yeah, you're right, Bergessio looked offside.

I remember wrong offside calls at home against Bologna. I think that's the game you're mixing it up with

The Fiorentina away game was much earlier in the season and Seedorf's disallowed goal is the one thing that was talked about after the game.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yeah, you're right, Bergessio looked offside.

I remember wrong offside calls at home against Bologna. I think that's the game you're mixing it up with
It was an away game. One time our attacker was on our own side ffs.

Schedule