Week 8: Milan - Lecce 20/10/19 20:45 CET

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
------------Pjona

--Leao----Paqueta----Suso---

-----Bennacer--Biglia-------

This is what I want to see.

Why are you turning populist? What's next, bench Suso?

We must keep Hakan on the pitch at all costs, and remove Paqueta, Leao and Bennacer until they're ready.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
With 4-2-3-1 our squad would actually have nice depth, we just need to work on the double pivot.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
433 or 4231 from Pioli against Lecce?

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
------------Pjona

--Leao----Paqueta----Suso---

-----Bennacer--Biglia-------

This is what I want to see.

That midfield duo seems destined to end up like Ledesma-Biglia. Pioli and Petkovic quickly abandoned it because it wasn't dynamic enough and they both wanted the sitting role.
Biglia isn't a double pivot system guy but he was okayish when partnered with a proper dynamic box-to-box mid like Parolo.

Bennacer may not be as one-dimensional as Ledesma but I think both would do better next to Kessie or Krunic.

Then again with Suso and Leao in the front 4 it might be better to go the Seedorf way with 6 defenders and 4 attackers, very low defensive line and low possession even against minnows.

Nah,

4-4-2
Leao/Rebic - Piatek
Hakan/Paq/Rebic - Biglia/Bennacer - Kessie/Krunic - Paq/Suso/Samu/Borini​

or

4-2-3-1
Piatek/Leao
Rebic/Borini/Hakan - Hakan/Paq - Suso/Samu
Bennacer/Biglia - Kesise/Krunic

or

4-3-3
Leao/Rebic - Piatek/Leao - Suso/Rebic/Samu
Bennacer/Hakan/Paq - Biglia - Kessie/Krunic

Last edited:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Why are you turning populist? What's next, bench Suso?

We must keep Hakan on the pitch at all costs, and remove Paqueta, Leao and Bennacer until they're ready.

If it’s a 4-3-3, sure. But I don’t see Hakan fitting any position in the 4-2-3-1.

Moreover, he has been atrocious the last two matches. I’m running out of patience.

Leao not ready? He’s readier than anyone else in that lineup.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
In a 4-2-3-1 Bona shouldn‘t be underestimated either, LAM would be perfect for him once he shakes off his rustiness.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
That midfield duo seems destined to end up like Ledesma-Biglia. Pioli and Petkovic quickly abandoned it because it wasn't dynamic enough and they both wanted the sitting role.
Biglia isn't a double pivot system guy but he was okayish when partnered with a proper dynamic box-to-box mid like Parolo.

Bennacer may not be as one-dimensional as Ledesma but I think both would do better next to Kessie or Krunic.

Then again with Suso and Leao in the front 4 it might be better to go the Seedorf way with 6 defenders and 4 attackers, very low defensive line and low possession even against minnows.

Nah,

4-4-2
Leao/Rebic - Piatek

or

4-2-3-1
Piatek/Leao

or

4-3-3

These are 3 realistic tactics...I’d rather go with the first one, as our players seem most suited for it, imo.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Nah,

4-4-2
Leao/Rebic - Piatek

or

4-2-3-1
Piatek/Leao

or

4-3-3

The bolded part is exactly why I think it could work. Bennacer would never want the sitting role. He's by nature inclined to move forward and be dynamic. Among the players we have, a 4-2-3-1 double pivot suits the combination of Biglia and Bennacer the most.

4-4-2 doesn't appeal to me without real wide players who can stay balanced. Only Hakan fits that bill in our squad.

4-3-3 is certainly an option and if we go that way, then my midfield will be Hakan, Biglia and Kessie.

I certainly prefer the 4-2-3-1 though, with a coach like Pioli.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
from 'il sistema' to 'intensita massima'

lets go! Forza Milan :star:

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
At least we have a chance with a new coach. GP was a complete liability. I hope my confidence is not misplaced.

Forza Milan!

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We tried playing 4-2-3-1 before and we sucked.

It might work after a few weeks of training sessions / official matches.
I doubt he will risk it with a new formation from game 1.

m1lan

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if Suso turns on the style for a few games to gain Pioli's trust. Then reverts back to his usual self.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Very pumped up for this game. I wish the NT break never happened and that Pioli had 10 days with a whole squad.

He doesn't have much time with those returning from NT duty, but hopefully he's made such an impact on the remaining ones that the enthusiasm and joy it looks like Pioli is instilling in the group automatically transmits to the rest of them.

Can't wait to see this young group being full of vigour and fight instead of that confused system look the lot of them had under Giampaolo.

Last edited:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players

When was this?

I think it's actually one of the simplest systems to play. Every player gets ample support from 1-2 other players and there are no complicated patterns of play like there is in a 4-3-1-2 diamond.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Very pumped up for this game. I wish the NT break never happened and that Pioli had 10 days with a whole squad.

He doesn't have much time with those returning from NT duty, but hopefully he's made such an impact on the remaining ones that the enthusiasm and joy it looks like Pioli is instilling in the group automatically transmits to the rest of them.

Can't wait to see this young group being full of vigour and fight instead of that confused system look the lot of them had under Giampaolo.

One thing in his favor is our players apparently aren't tactical and instead instinctive, as reports have said. If so, it's likely a lot easier to adapt players to this type of play after a few training than to learn a rigid system. Grinta 433 isn't too far off 4231 bar the two holding midfield roles for Bennacer and Kessie. I really hope to see Paqueta get his chance at CAM.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
If it’s a 4-3-3, sure. But I don’t see Hakan fitting any position in the 4-2-3-1.

Moreover, he has been atrocious the last two matches. I’m running out of patience.

Leao not ready? He’s readier than anyone else in that lineup.

I was joking.

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
didn't we play 4-2-3-1 with seedorf as the coach ?

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
yup, with De Jong and Montolivo double pivot. That's the last time I remember Milan playing 4-2-3-1.

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
It was effective if i remember right....

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
It was effective if i remember right....

Seedorf's teams were effective for just about 50 minutes during the best period of his tenure. Started out from 20 and reached 50.. after that they tapered off dramatically. His style wasn't really sustainable.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
EGmZlvEXUAAp155

EGmZmLTW4AIht15

Which one against Lecce?

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think that from what Pioli has said so far about Paqueta, he sees him as a goal scoring AM who moves well between the lines and needs to make more runs into the box to bring the goals out of him. Think he'll be the (faux) AM if we are to play 4231 (which would look like a 451 when defending)

Would give us options too

Rebic (Jack) on the left
Piatek (Leao) CF
Suso (Samu) RW
Paqueta (Kebab) AM

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Balotelli, Leão, Theo, Zlatan, Tonali
I thought this game was this weekend. Stupid international break.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think that from what Pioli has said so far about Paqueta, he sees him as a goal scoring AM who moves well between the lines and needs to make more runs into the box to bring the goals out of him. Think he'll be the (faux) AM if we are to play 4231 (which would look like a 451 when defending)

Would give us options too

Rebic (Jack) on the left
Piatek (Leao) CF
Suso (Samu) RW
Paqueta (Kebab) AM

It's very similar to how we played under Gattuso, only presumably now with a LOT more high pressing.

I agree that Rebic makes a bit more sense than Leao on the left side, mainly because he's one of the best pressing attacking players in the world.

Paqueta and Kessie will press really high like under Gattuso also, but probably a lot more and riskier (hopefully). With Rebic on the left we can do a lot of damage if he can get a turnover with Paqueta near him.

We're really built to be a counterpressing team, not one that plays slow patient buildup. Would be great to see Pioli take this approach. Romagnoli would appreciate a lower defensive line and maybe we can avoid a couple of the type of direct goals we conceded against Torino and Fiorentina.

Last edited:

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

As an Allegri era troll you should know this is not true.

Allegri tried 4-2-3-1 at times in the first half of 2012-2013 season and those were the few bright moments of otherwise horrible first months.
He deployed it from start, or he'd switch to it at the end of games when we were chasing goals. That's when El Sha scored nearly all of his goals.

The team found solidity with a 3 man midfield, and 4-3-3, only after De Jong's injury and Flamini's full recovery from his knee injuries.

He should've gone back to 4-2-3-1 in the following season, when De Jong returned and Flamini left, but to be fair the weak, injury-plagued squad wasn't fit for any system.

The decision became much more simple for Seedorf, who was reinforced with 4231 material like Honda, Taarabt, and Essien.
Seedorf's spell wasn't as great as some are making it out to have been, but there's no doubt that the 4-2-3-1 with a low defensive line was more effective than whatever Allegri was attempting earlier that season.

Seedorf's teams were effective for just about 50 minutes during the best period of his tenure. Started out from 20 and reached 50.. after that they tapered off dramatically. His style wasn't really sustainable.

He started off with high-pressing tikitaka "totaalvoetbal" molto champagne calcio, but it failed miserably so he switched to the extreme opposite. Low defensive line, low possession(against minnows) and 3 or 4 lazy soloists and has-beens at the front(Kaka, Taarabt, Balo, Binho).
It wasn't plesant to watch, or always effective, but it was an improvement to Allegri's naive approach to away games.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
4-2-3-1

OR..

4-3-3???

--------------------------

While I prefer 4-2-3-1 for this squad I think it's far more important to have the right players in the game rather than a specific formation. I just don't want to see Hakan in the starting lineup. I think we need to see Paqueta, Leao, and Bonaventura in there at the same time, and maybe Bennacer in mid. I want to see creativity and chances being made and we need these players to achieve that.

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers
I like 4-2-3-1 so pioli will definitely choose 4-3-3. Never get what i want ever

you sound like dcfcfan1, dont do this

plus we had honda i know how much you wanted him ;)

Schedule