The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > Other > Football

Football Talk about the wonderful game.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2013, 18:04   #101
Christian
AC Milan Icon
 
Christian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denmark
Fav. Players: Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanMB View Post
such BS.... typical denmark.
And you honostly say that Zidane is in the same class as Messi and Maradona? With a straight face? Or as straight as you can make that mug of yours?
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 18:13   #102
Congo Powers
b+g immortale
 
Congo Powers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: caroline celico
Fav. Players: Silvio Berlusconi, Rui Costa, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, KPB, Mario, kp9
Default

totti>zidane
Congo Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 18:18   #103
crazy4milan
Exotic Stevie G
 
crazy4milan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Costa Rica
Fav. Players: Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Default

Actually his performance in the wc 98 WAS already exaggerated by 1998 itself. He was suspended for 2 and a half games, first game they played vs an average South Africa, he did shit vs Italy and was meh vs Croatia.

I also believe his 06 performance was pretty overrated, the ones that saved his ass were Vieira and Thuram who put on a performance in the last group stage game where he was suspended, and which qualified France to the next round. He was so so vs Spain, but the goal was cool, specially cause Spanish media made comments about retiring him. He was out of this world vs Brazil (which is what everyone remembers), and average in the remaining two games, ffs, he got himself send off for something so dumb in the final (even if we all would have wanted to head butt Materazzi, there's a moment and a place, a hard intense WC Final is not the moment), he ended up fucking his team over.

But Zidane was amazing in the Euro 2000, one of the best performances I've seen from a player. And was amazing with Juventus. Overrated with RM, or maybe not his fault, but he was put in a team with so little balance it exposed him so much, well his first season with Madrid was great too to be fair (surprise surprise, Madrid had a balanced team then), obviously though he looked flashier in La Liga than in Serie A.

I dunno. I go back and forth on this. Around 2006 I was convinced he deserved his place in the top 5 ever, looking back, I'm not all that sure anymore. I do think he was better than Rui, but regardless of anything, he is one of the greatest ever, maybe not top 5, but that ends up being pretty subjective.


Signature
Brocchi si nasce, campioni si diventa
crazy4milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 18:47   #104
MilanMB
Serendipity
 
MilanMB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Romagnoli.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
And you honostly say that Zidane is in the same class as Messi and Maradona? With a straight face? Or as straight as you can make that mug of yours?
Hell yes he's in the same class as them, what kind of a question is this? I won't go in a debate about who's better than who... but he's definitely in the same category of players.

Few people in the history of football have been able to have Zidane's impact on a game when he's at his best.


Signature
GOAT
MilanMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 18:53   #105
massaro
primetime
 
massaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: marseille
Fav. Players: seedorf pato nesta maldini
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
And you honostly say that Zidane is in the same class as Messi and Maradona? With a straight face? Or as straight as you can make that mug of yours?
how old are you zidane definetly belongs this is insane
massaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 19:32   #106
leaf
Bella Ciao
 
leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Trinidad and Tobago
Fav. Players: Ba, Quaresma, Ronaldo, Maldini, Kaka, Nesta, Shevchenko, Neymar, Seedorf, R.Carlos, CR7, Silva
Default

@ Christian:
I agree that zz's influence in WC98 was exaggerated
But, you know, history is written by the winners
In 98 R9 was the best IMHO but he undid everything by the shit final performance which zz was a monster for

Similarly R9 was merely a great goal scorer for '02. Rivaldo was better but Ron scored in the finals and got to the record.

The same for '06 where zz was CLEARLY the best but Canna got it.

I think zz and R9 took turns at who was going to be the best in the world


Signature
#Expertz on Roma:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
I don't think even conte can make this clown a good defender. worst defender we've ever had
Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer
Musa is better than Romagnoli.
on Berto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer
Berto … could be to us for the next 5 years, what Marchisio is to Juve.
On covid-19:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec
Looking fwd to the corona panic being cured soon. Getting rly tired of some of these ppl. Scared of this barely dangerous virus
leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 19:41   #107
Christian
AC Milan Icon
 
Christian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denmark
Fav. Players: Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanMB View Post
Hell yes he's in the same class as them, what kind of a question is this? I won't go in a debate about who's better than who... but he's definitely in the same category of players.

Few people in the history of football have been able to have Zidane's impact on a game when he's at his best.
You're a revisionist and a Swede, not sure whats worse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf View Post
@ Christian:
I agree that zz's influence in WC98 was exaggerated
But, you know, history is written by the winners
In 98 R9 was the best IMHO but he undid everything by the shit final performance which zz was a monster for

Similarly R9 was merely a great goal scorer for '02. Rivaldo was better but Ron scored in the finals and got to the record.

The same for '06 where zz was CLEARLY the best but Canna got it.

I think zz and R9 took turns at who was going to be the best in the world
Ronaldo was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Zidane pre-injury, and that was both players suposed prime. After Ronaldo got injured Zidane was in the same category as Figo and Rivaldo

Last edited by Christian; 22-11-2013 at 19:48.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 20:09   #108
Sven
Super Moderator
 
Sven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default

Football and specially football fandom is (still?) like medieval fairy tales about great deeds and great characters or something. Numbers have little to do with it.

Zidane would play big games and be a genius in many of them. Billions of people watch a WC game specially finals... Even CL just started scratching that kind of audience. That's the kind of thing that build legends over players, like it did to Maradona or Pele.
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 20:23   #109
Senatore_M84
AC Milan Icon
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Fav. Players: Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf View Post
@ Christian:
I agree that zz's influence in WC98 was exaggerated
But, you know, history is written by the winners
yeah. It should be noted 97-99 was zidane's best club form, where he was a monster.

Really 96-02.

which makes sense.. he was 24-30


Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACmen View Post
Only Milan can punish it's own fans by qualifying for CL. I'm off to sleep, another year wasted. When will this fucker be fired..
#RnB
Senatore_M84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 20:25   #110
Senatore_M84
AC Milan Icon
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Fav. Players: Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4milan View Post
AOverrated with RM, or maybe not his fault, but he was put in a team with so little balance it exposed him so much, well his first season with Madrid was great too to be fair (surprise surprise, Madrid had a balanced team then), obviously though he looked flashier in La Liga than in Serie A.
He was aging. After his first madrid year, he wasn't very consistent due to age and team lacking any balance.


But yah, i mean it's not really surprising an AM feels age when his legs slow down


Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACmen View Post
Only Milan can punish it's own fans by qualifying for CL. I'm off to sleep, another year wasted. When will this fucker be fired..
#RnB
Senatore_M84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 20:32   #111
crazy4milan
Exotic Stevie G
 
crazy4milan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Costa Rica
Fav. Players: Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senatore_M84 View Post
He was aging. After his first madrid year, he wasn't very consistent due to age and team lacking any balance.


But yah, i mean it's not really surprising an AM feels age when his legs slow down
Yeah, that was obvious. I still feel that post first year at Madrid his contribution was pretty overrated.

One thing to really admire though, how he gracefully accepted his baldness.


Signature
Brocchi si nasce, campioni si diventa
crazy4milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 20:45   #112
Sven
Super Moderator
 
Sven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default



remember this goal?
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 20:53   #113
crazy4milan
Exotic Stevie G
 
crazy4milan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Costa Rica
Fav. Players: Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post


remember this goal?
That was a thing of beauty. Whole play is great, and the finishing is iconic. Like you said, "football is like medieval fairy tales about great deeds and great characters", its a lot down to timming of doing iconic things, and Zidane had a great timming at it. Doesn't mean he wasn't great overall, but his most memorable/iconic moments came when all cameras of the world were on him, which makes his legend status bigger than others that might've been on his same level at the time.


Signature
Brocchi si nasce, campioni si diventa
crazy4milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 20:55   #114
MilanMB
Serendipity
 
MilanMB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Romagnoli.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
You're a revisionist and a Swede, not sure whats worse...
revisionist?

yeah, zidane flew right under the radar during his career. look who's talking about being a revisionist.

Messi and Ronaldo, although FANTASTIC players, "fool" many people in thinking they're the greatest ever by the number of goals they score. Goals aren't everything. Where does players like Maldini and Nesta fit into this for example?


Signature
GOAT
MilanMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 22:08   #115
Sven
Super Moderator
 
Sven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4milan View Post
That was a thing of beauty. Whole play is great, and the finishing is iconic. Like you said, "football is like medieval fairy tales about great deeds and great characters", its a lot down to timming of doing iconic things, and Zidane had a great timming at it. Doesn't mean he wasn't great overall, but his most memorable/iconic moments came when all cameras of the world were on him, which makes his legend status bigger than others that might've been on his same level at the time.
That's a discussion I've had many times about the whole Pelé X Maradona
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 23:16   #116
Goodfella
AC Milan Icon
 
Goodfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4milan View Post
Actually his performance in the wc 98 WAS already exaggerated by 1998 itself. He was suspended for 2 and a half games, first game they played vs an average South Africa, he did shit vs Italy and was meh vs Croatia.

I also believe his 06 performance was pretty overrated, the ones that saved his ass were Vieira and Thuram who put on a performance in the last group stage game where he was suspended, and which qualified France to the next round. He was so so vs Spain, but the goal was cool, specially cause Spanish media made comments about retiring him. He was out of this world vs Brazil (which is what everyone remembers), and average in the remaining two games, ffs, he got himself send off for something so dumb in the final (even if we all would have wanted to head butt Materazzi, there's a moment and a place, a hard intense WC Final is not the moment), he ended up fucking his team over.

But Zidane was amazing in the Euro 2000, one of the best performances I've seen from a player. And was amazing with Juventus. Overrated with RM, or maybe not his fault, but he was put in a team with so little balance it exposed him so much, well his first season with Madrid was great too to be fair (surprise surprise, Madrid had a balanced team then), obviously though he looked flashier in La Liga than in Serie A.

I dunno. I go back and forth on this. Around 2006 I was convinced he deserved his place in the top 5 ever, looking back, I'm not all that sure anymore. I do think he was better than Rui, but regardless of anything, he is one of the greatest ever, maybe not top 5, but that ends up being pretty subjective.
Agree with pretty much all of this...except headbutting Materazzi since he's very likable.

Zidane - great player, but overrated WC 98 and 06 performances and not the most consistent player(among the greats).
Goodfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 00:25   #117
leaf
Bella Ciao
 
leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Trinidad and Tobago
Fav. Players: Ba, Quaresma, Ronaldo, Maldini, Kaka, Nesta, Shevchenko, Neymar, Seedorf, R.Carlos, CR7, Silva
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by congo powers View Post
totti>zidane
lol


Signature
#Expertz on Roma:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
I don't think even conte can make this clown a good defender. worst defender we've ever had
Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer
Musa is better than Romagnoli.
on Berto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer
Berto … could be to us for the next 5 years, what Marchisio is to Juve.
On covid-19:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec
Looking fwd to the corona panic being cured soon. Getting rly tired of some of these ppl. Scared of this barely dangerous virus
leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 05:50   #118
Pharaoh
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fav. Players: Stephan-El-Shaarawy, Balotelli, Ronaldo(CR7), Kaka, and Buffon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanMB View Post
revisionist?

yeah, zidane flew right under the radar during his career. look who's talking about being a revisionist.

Messi and Ronaldo, although FANTASTIC players, "fool" many people in thinking they're the greatest ever by the number of goals they score. Goals aren't everything. Where does players like Maldini and Nesta fit into this for example?
Strikers will forever have more impact in football than mids and especially defenders. Look at the value of players in the game right now. The higher the value,the more likely its a striker. Look at record transfers,they were for strikers or goal scorers. Kaka,ronaldo etc.


When people think about best players ever,guarantee you there top 5 will be strikers/goal scorers of some sort.
Pharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 17:07   #119
Massaro94
Uno Tituli
 
Massaro94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Grande Britain
Fav. Players: Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
Default

STAGIONE 1995/96
Stadio San Siro - 05.03.1996
Andata Quarti di Finale - Coppa Uefa
MILAN -BORDEAUX 2 - 0

Nella foto, un momento del match, con Patrick Vieira e Paolo Maldini in pressing su Zinedine Zidane. La partita finir? con la vittoria del Milan per 2-0, grazie ai gol di Eranio e Baggio, ma grazie al 3-0 del ritorno, a passare saranno i francesi. Sempre e solo su www.magliarossonera.it. ORGOGLIO CASCIAVIT!



Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Diavolo 3 View Post
Any news on Ramos? I don’t even mind giving him #3
Massaro94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 16:30   #120
Massaro94
Uno Tituli
 
Massaro94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Grande Britain
Fav. Players: Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
Default

"Give me 10 pieces of wood and Zinedine Zidane and I'll win the Champions League." - Sir Alex Ferguson.



Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Diavolo 3 View Post
Any news on Ramos? I don’t even mind giving him #3
Massaro94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:23.





Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©2002-2011 The Red & Black Forums. These are fan forums and are in no way affiliated with AC Milan S.p.A.