Official: Zvonimir Boban Thread

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Samoura was named as the new Secretary General of FIFA a fortnight ago, and she has wasted no time in reshuffling her cabinet by bringing in Boban for football-related matters, despite her reign not yet due to begin.

“In order to achieve our goals we have decided to introduce an improved structure that will make FIFA more efficient and fit its purpose of developing football everywhere,” she maintained at a FIFA conference on Monday.

“FIFA’s administration will be split into two dedicated pillars: one designed to generate financial returns and operating the administrative work that comes along with it, and another one focused on developing football and organising competitions.”

FIFA President Gianni Infantino added: “Ms Samoura has not even started in the job yet but it was great to see her already building a strong rapport with the team.

“I am enthusiastic about the positive impact that she can bring to the organisation with her ideas.”

Samoura’s remarks suggest Boban will help with the running of future FIFA competitions, such as the World Cup and Confederations Cup.

Boban spent 11 years at Milan between 1991 and 2002, winning four Scudetti and a Champions League, but has become more known in Italy for his outspoken approach to punditry.

This will be handy in the future

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
scudetto or seppukku, grazie!

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
boban-cool.jpg

Welcome back.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Welcome Zvone! It’s so good to have someone of his wavelength, non political no nonsense approach and massive eclectic intellect in the club.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Just when you think he cant get any cooler...

Boban is also a keen tennis player. He is known to be close friends with Goran Ivanišević, with whom he plays at his private indoor clay tennis court.

Absolutely love Goran to bits!

Reaction score
Read all 10 pages. I don't think he had one take that wasn't correct. That type of bluntness will weed out a lot of the fodder quick.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Welcome home.

An exceptional footballer who I wish was still playing for our great club.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Zvone's feelings on mercato, Gigio, derby and much more..

Zvonimir Boban for Milannews.it

How to become an icon?

I worked a lot on myself, with great passion and commitment. My family gave me the address of the school where I was supposed to learn to play football. Young players often feel hatred and prejudice against their peers. If you want to achieve something, you must get rid of it.

I gained a lot thanks to reading and acquired knowledge. In addition to football, there are other worlds and I wanted to get to know them, especially after I finished my career. Now many players lead a virtual life and if you want to reach them, you must try to understand them.

After finishing your career, you have to leave everything behind, you need time to think about some things, you have to work properly and read a lot.

About the war (in Yugoslavia)

A lot of time has passed since the brothers' war, in which people speaking the same language participated. After 20 years, our relationships have improved, thanks also to sport. For example, we served with Savicevic in the army. We often saw people we knew well. Serbs always felt close to Croatia, and then all this happened. This is terrible, but we must go further and create an even stronger, brotherly bond.

About the derby:

At the beginning of the season we were counting on more points, but we can be satisfied with our current achievements. We are only at the beginning of the road. There are still many challenges ahead of us. Even Inter can play even better with time. At the moment Inter is more privileged than us, even if this type of meeting is always open and the chances are 50/50. We have to deal with the emotions that derby provide us. Even I paid my price during derby duels. Derby is more than other matches.

Will any new players play in derby?

The team's coach is Giampaolo. You have to ask him yourself.

About new players:

It takes some time for new players to understand each other better with the team. Sometimes it happens that after two training sessions you feel that you are in better contact with some players.

About racist attacks:

Racist humming at players? We heard them clearly.

About mercato:

It was absurd mercato. We had contact with thousands of agents who wanted to explain their vision of football. You can really get lost during this time.

About Donnarumma:

Among the thousand things, I realized that despite his young age, Donnarumma is a person who has so much passion and love for Milan. It deserves great recognition.

About Milan:

When I first came to Milan, I had a hard nut to crack. Despite this, I almost immediately accepted the work culture, respect for the team and values ​​that I got to know partly at Dinamo, but it was a completely different level. I immediately loved Milan. I easily got used to my values. In Milan, I learned everything: from tactics to respect.I have to thank Costacurta, Maldini, Donadoni and Baresi for being honored to play with them. I hope to find at least one player in Milan who will be close to the level of great predecessors.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Thanks for the interview and goodbye

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pretty sure it's his calculation.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Kamikaze interview

Causalties:
Boban (killed on impact)
Maldini (killed on impact)
Gazidis (seriously wounded)
Elliot (wounded)

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's his calculation.

Kamikaze interview

Causalties:
Boban (killed on impact)
Maldini (killed on impact)
Gazidis (seriously wounded)
Elliot (wounded)

I think he's seeing the situation more like this

tenor.gif

I don't think you can damage the rep of Gaz and Elliott. Gaz came as persona non grata from arsenal and Elliott are not in the PR/optics business.

He could have constructed his interview a bit better and given maldini some wiggle room so that their fates wouldn't be so interlinked or given maldini a chance to take his own swipe at gazilliot.

Or maybe maldini told him to do the interview this way.

Last edited:

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't think you can damage the rep of Gaz and Elliott. Gaz came as persona non grata from arsenal and Elliott are not in the PR/optics business.

Gazidis was met with skepticism, but not anger. Besides, he was seen as just some background character who deals with the financial aspects. To fans this was Maldini's and Boban's Milan.

PR/optics business? The possible consequences would be bad for any kind of business.
You don't want the consumers/fans to turn against you, boycott you, threaten you, stage protests and make your working environment unbearable. The last thing they need is more hurdles in this uphill battle.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
Gazidis was met with skepticism, but not anger. Besides, he was seen as just some background character who deals with the financial aspects. To fans this was Maldini's and Boban's Milan.

PR/optics business? The possible consequences would be bad for any kind of business.
You don't want the consumers/fans to turn against you, boycott you, threaten you, stage protests and make your working environment unbearable. The last thing they need is more hurdles in this uphill battle.

Gazidis faced hate from arsenal fans for years. He had the rep of carrying out wishes of a cheap owner as he built something functional with a relatively tight transfer policy. To him what's happening is business as usual.

It's not that much of an uphill battle. In the worst case scenario, they gut the club by selling every player Milan has individually then sell the rest by parts to whoever is investing. I think they'll still probably make a profit or at least break even.

So if Milan fans turn then they would be t-boning their own club and not Elliott.

Regardless, I've seen the protests of Milan fans in the Berlusconi era. Completely ineffective and inconsequential to the decision making of club hierarchy.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Gazidis faced hate from arsenal fans for years. He had the rep of carrying out wishes of a cheap owner as he built something functional with a relatively tight transfer policy. To him what's happening is business as usual.

I was thinking of adding that this is not comparable to Arsenal, but I decided not to because it seemed redundant.

Arsenal and EPL games will be sold out regardless of owners or results.
Even the AFTV superstars attend games and buy from their stores.
The status quo with Wenger worked for Gazidis. They got the revenue they needed. There was no battle.

In Italy you're always at risk of having half-empty stadiums. You have to deal with powerful ultras/mafiosi. Even the casuals are more toxic and demanding.

It's not that much of an uphill battle. In the worst case scenario, they gut the club by selling every player Milan has individually then sell the rest by parts to whoever is investing. I think they'll still probably make a profit or at least break even.

It is an uphill battle, if the goal is to get back into CL, increase the revenue and sell the club at a massive profit.
I assume that's their goal.

Regardless, I've seen the protests of Milan fans in the Berlusconi era. Completely ineffective and inconsequential to the decision making of club hierarchy.

2013-2016 Milan was a hopeless mess. Fans, owners, executives all made sure we remained in a toxic wasteland

2017-2019 has been all on the owners and upper management. They haven't been hampered by fans, so far.

Last edited:

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding that this is not comparable to Arsenal, but I decided not to because it seemed redundant.

Arsenal and EPL games will be sold out regardless of owners or results.
Even the AFTV superstars attend games and buy from their stores.
The status quo with Wenger worked for Gazidis. They got the revenue they needed. There was no battle.

In Italy you're always at risk of having half-empty stadiums. You have to deal with powerful ultras/mafiosi. Even the casuals are more toxic and demanding.*

Let's see how many maldini orphans are created. I'll take a stab and say it won't be anything excessive.

And probably not enough for Elliott to change course of action.

It is an uphill battle, if the goal is to get back into CL, increase the revenue and sell the club at a massive profit.
I assume that's their goal.

2013-2016 Milan was a hopeless mess. Fans, owners, executives all made sure we remained in a toxic wasteland

2017-2019 has been all on the owners and upper management. They haven't been hampered by fans, so far.

I don't think getting to the top 4 of serie A is that difficult. Despite the cluster fuck Milan are 9 points away from Atalanta. Even closer last year. I think those 9 points could be covered with any half competent manager.

Once u get there the rest of the things should automatically follow.

But like I said, even if it doesn't it won't be hard for Elliott to recoup their investments one way or another.

Ultimately, I don't see interviews from maldini or boban altering Elliott's trajectory. It was purely self medication.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Let's see how many maldini orphans are created. I'll take a stab and say it won't be anything excessive.

And probably not enough for Elliott to change course of action.

I don't think getting to the top 4 of serie A is that difficult. Despite the cluster fuck Milan are 9 points away from Atalanta. Even closer last year. I think those 9 points could be covered with any half competent manager.

Once u get there the rest of the things should automatically follow.

But like I said, even if it doesn't it won't be hard for Elliott to recoup their investments one way or another.

Ultimately, I don't see interviews from maldini or boban altering Elliott's trajectory. It was purely self medication.

It isn't, or shouldn't be very difficult, but Elliot set themselves up for failure with a ridiculous leadership structure and way too many big names with big egos and big salaries who all want a big say. I thought it looked stupid from start. You will struggle to make Top 4 even once, let alone regularly, without stability and continuity.

I hope fans accept Rangnick, or whoever gets to replace Maldoban.
I obviously never liked the current club structure, so I won't get too disappointed if it's destroyed, but we really need some stability and continuity.

Oh and I think Elliot would be very disappointed if all they do is recoup their investments.

Last edited:

Schedule