1/4 - Uruguay (1) vs. Ghana (1), 4-2 after PK - July 2nd

What do you make of Luis Suarez's handball?

• Total voters

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lugano, Raí, Rogério Ceni, Ambrosini, Gattuso
Is it wrong for me to think that if Desailly cared that much for Ghana, he should have played for them? Maybe I'm being harsh, I don't know, or I'm being too cynical...

If I'm remembering well, Ghana use to suck when Desailly started as professional. Not that he couldn't be part of the ones who started to change it but think about it, if France's NT call you to their team, you won't say "no, I will not play with Zidane, Thurram, Blanc, Makelele, etc".

We can't judge him

hdcantona

Senatore_M84's Protege
Reaction score
Surely if he cared that much about Ghana, he would have turned down France...

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
If you were born in San Marino yet moved to England at age 3, or whenever Desailly did. But you still loved San Marino. Who would you play for if you were called up for both San Marino and England?

For me it would be England. Sure Desailly loves Ghana, but he obviously cares alot about France aswell.

hdcantona

Senatore_M84's Protege
Reaction score
It's not so much the fact he played for France, but the fact that he's on tv being so incredibly dramatic and passionate about Ghana, when it could be argued that he turned his back on them.

I don't mind him playing for France, but I don't get the massive passion and enthusiasm he has now he's watching Ghana, which clearly wasn't there when he was lacing up his boots for a france game.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
More fuel for the fire: :D

Last edited:

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I will. International football should be about pride for your country, if he's so passionate about Ghana he should have played there.

Ok Desailly was adopted by a french, hist first club was Nantes and I think he was first called to France's NT when he was 25, in 1993. You're saying that the young Desailly, who probably reminded Ghana as a fucked up miserable country should left the chance of playing Euro and World Cups to join Ghana NT?

Playing Champions League, Euro and World Cup was probably always a dream to Desailly and if he had the chance to do it, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't.

Kaká cheer for São Paulo and could spend his whole career playing for this club and be a millionaire either way. Not as much as he is in Europe but still, a millionaire. Nevertheless it's not fair to say to him that he can't support São Paulo just because he changed it for Milan. He's not being dishonest, he's just taking care of his life. He even sent informations about Liverpool to São Paulo before the FIFA Club World Cup.

Desailly is impressed of how great Ghana is now and he has every right to support them. I don't think he was faking just to show how patriotic he is.

And patriotism sucks.

Kalac#16

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Kaká cheer for São Paulo and could spend his whole career playing for this club and be a millionaire either way. Not as much as he is in Europe but still, a millionaire. Nevertheless it's not fair to say to him that he can't support São Paulo just because he changed it for Milan. He's not being dishonest, he's just taking care of his life. He even sent informations about Liverpool to São Paulo before the FIFA Club World Cup.
Well club is totally different to country anyway, so that's irrelevant.

As for the rest of your post, I just don't agree with it, if he was so passionate about Ghana he would have played for them, but he sold out to France in the hopes of winning a WC, which he did, but if he is as patriotic as he likes to show, he wouldn't have dropped his home country.

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Well club is totally different to country anyway, so that's irrelevant.

As for the rest of your post, I just don't agree with it, if he was so passionate about Ghana he would have played for them, but he sold out to France in the hopes of winning a WC, which he did, but if he is as patriotic as he likes to show, he wouldn't have dropped his home country.

I don't think that club is that different. In this theory, if you really supports a club then you're supposed to spend your career on this club. It's just another case of "patriotism".

It's all about money and glory. When Desailly shows those emotions for Ghana, he's not saying that this national team is more important than his money and glory. He's just saying that he wish good things to Ghana.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Surely if he cared that much about Ghana, he would have turned down France...

you'll never understand feeling. I'm born in USA. I feel american, but my parents are immigrants. If i had the ability, i would choose USA of course. But that doesnt mean i dont have a soft spot for place of my heritage...

worlds globalized. People arent just welsh or ghanan

point is this (IMO) is much different than someone like deco or camorenesi who nationalized to europe in there 20s cause they couldnt make there real NT

Ragazza

Milan, solo con te...
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MALDINI, ZAMBROTTA, NESTA, SES, MAGIC MIKE
holy cow this game was crazy...couldn't believe what happened...it was like the telenovella game of the world cup

ezekiel2517

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I lost the list.
who is to say he was not all excited about France as well?

Schedule