English Premier League Thread III

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
A coach of his caliber is what current Milan needs foremost. Because a good coach can work with a current crop of players, no matter how shitty and built a system and a winning mentality at the club.

I'd like to see Pep with our current squad. Another GP-type fiasco incoming :lol:

Pep has only ever worked with WC teams and huge budgets, while not showing anything extraordinary. Zidane has done more than him and I don't see him being so hyped...

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Ole will be sacked in 3...2...1

I'm surprised he still has the position this long. No way he turns it around, it's clear at this point.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
I'd like to see Pep with our current squad. Another GP-type fiasco incoming :lol:

Pep has only ever worked with WC teams and huge budgets, while not showing anything extraordinary. Zidane has done more than him and I don't see him being so hyped...

What the fuck are you on about? :lol: Yes he had a hulk like budget, but he did hulk like things with it, absolutely smashed records left and right.

Zidane's wins in the CL are highly impressive, and he is praised for it. Difference is that the league titles are much harder to win than CL titles, who i'l reiterate: have a rather large margin of luck attached to them.

Plus Zidane lost league titles to a Barcelona who have Ernesto Valverde as a coach.

Points in a season

Victory over Southampton, thanks to an injury-time strike by Gabriel Jesus, saw City become the first team ever to reach 100 points in a Premier League season. Chelsea’s 95 points in 2004-05 was the previous best.

Jesus’ late goal sparked scenes of wild celebration amongst the travelling City fans – despite the fixture being a virtual dead rubber

Goals in a season

The goal was City’s 106th of the campaign, breaking the previous record of 103 set by Chelsea in their 2009-10 title-winning campaign. It is only the fourth three-figure total, with City and Liverpool scoring 102 and 101 respectively in 2013-14, so City are the first club to achieve the feat twice.

Consecutive victories

City’s 18-game winning run from August to December was the longest ever in the English top flight, pre-dating even the Premier League era. Along the way, they amassed a record-equalling 11 successive away wins, a feat previously achieved by Chelsea in 2008.

Earliest title win

City missed out on a new record with derby defeat to Manchester United but matched their neighbours’ previous mark from 2000-01 by winning the league with five games to go.

Derby Day defeat would have been hard to take, but City responded soon after to seal the title

Winning margin

With a 19-point advantage over United, City outperformed their rivals’ 1999-2000 margin of 18 over Arsenal.

Goal difference

At +79, City beat the goal difference record of +71 set by Chelsea in 2009-10.

There were 106 goals scored by City this campaign, but Sergio Aguero’s effort against Leicester City was surely one of the best

Wins in a season

Chelsea’s record of 30 wins set last season only lasted a year as City racked up 32. Their win at Southampton was their 16th on the road, surpassing the Blues’ 2004-05 record of 15.

Manager of the month

Guardiola was named the Premier League’s top boss in September, October, November and December, the first man ever to win four successive manager of the month awards.

Guardiola with one of his Manager of the Month trophies

Most passes in a single game

The 902 passes achieved against Chelsea saw the Citizens break one of their records this season! In the 1-0 win back in March, City surpassed the total they set themselves in October against West Bromwich Albion. Ilkay Gundogan’s 167 successful passes and 181 touches from the same game were also Premier League records.

Gundogan was a vital cog in the City midfield all season

https://talksport.com/football/3754...e-records-broken-and-equalled-pep-guardiolas/

Last edited:

beegees

I have Ph.D in Algorithm
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Francesco Acerbi, Bakaye Traore, Kevin Constant
I'm surprised he still has the position this long. No way he turns it around, it's clear at this point.

I normally blame coach when shit happens, but for man united case, I really don't think that Ole is the problem. The problem is Ed Woodward.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan

Anything extra ordinary at city? Are you okay

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
What the fuck are you on about? :lol: Yes he had a hulk like budget, but he did hulk like things with it, absolutely smashed records left and right.

Zidane's wins in the CL are highly impressive, and he is praised for it. Difference is that the league titles are much harder to win than CL titles, who i'l reiterate: have a rather large margin of luck attached to them.

Plus Zidane lost league titles to a Barcelona who have Ernesto Valverde as a coach.

Points in a season

Victory over Southampton, thanks to an injury-time strike by Gabriel Jesus, saw City become the first team ever to reach 100 points in a Premier League season. Chelsea’s 95 points in 2004-05 was the previous best.

Jesus’ late goal sparked scenes of wild celebration amongst the travelling City fans – despite the fixture being a virtual dead rubber

Goals in a season

The goal was City’s 106th of the campaign, breaking the previous record of 103 set by Chelsea in their 2009-10 title-winning campaign. It is only the fourth three-figure total, with City and Liverpool scoring 102 and 101 respectively in 2013-14, so City are the first club to achieve the feat twice.

Consecutive victories

City’s 18-game winning run from August to December was the longest ever in the English top flight, pre-dating even the Premier League era. Along the way, they amassed a record-equalling 11 successive away wins, a feat previously achieved by Chelsea in 2008.

Earliest title win

City missed out on a new record with derby defeat to Manchester United but matched their neighbours’ previous mark from 2000-01 by winning the league with five games to go.

Derby Day defeat would have been hard to take, but City responded soon after to seal the title

Winning margin

With a 19-point advantage over United, City outperformed their rivals’ 1999-2000 margin of 18 over Arsenal.

Goal difference

At +79, City beat the goal difference record of +71 set by Chelsea in 2009-10.

There were 106 goals scored by City this campaign, but Sergio Aguero’s effort against Leicester City was surely one of the best

Wins in a season

Chelsea’s record of 30 wins set last season only lasted a year as City racked up 32. Their win at Southampton was their 16th on the road, surpassing the Blues’ 2004-05 record of 15.

Manager of the month

Guardiola was named the Premier League’s top boss in September, October, November and December, the first man ever to win four successive manager of the month awards.

Guardiola with one of his Manager of the Month trophies

Most passes in a single game

The 902 passes achieved against Chelsea saw the Citizens break one of their records this season! In the 1-0 win back in March, City surpassed the total they set themselves in October against West Bromwich Albion. Ilkay Gundogan’s 167 successful passes and 181 touches from the same game were also Premier League records.

Gundogan was a vital cog in the City midfield all season

https://talksport.com/football/3754...e-records-broken-and-equalled-pep-guardiolas/

I fail to see how that means as much as you're hyping it up to mean.

Pep buys gigantic teams and the OH MY GOD they play amazing football while winning the league :eek:

Ok so you play attractive football while doing what you're expected to do.
YAY

Meanwhile he hasn't won the CL or gotten very far in it in any team containing Messi.

What do you think owners would prefer? Scoring a bajillion goals in a league when you have decidedly the best squad or winning the CL?

If you were an owner and you pumped ungodly sums of money into your team and the best you got was a few league titles (That he seems en route not even to make this time around) - could you really say that you were getting value for your money?

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
I fail to see how that means as much as you're hyping it up to mean.

Pep buys gigantic teams and the OH MY GOD they play amazing football while winning the league :eek:

Ok so you play attractive football while doing what you're expected to do.
YAY

Meanwhile he hasn't won the CL or gotten very far in it in any team containing Messi.

What do you think owners would prefer? Scoring a bajillion goals in a league when you have decidedly the best squad or winning the CL?

If you were an owner and you pumped ungodly sums of money into your team and the best you got was a few league titles (That he seems en route not even to make this time around) - could you really say that you were getting value for your money?

Its simple, teams have spent enormous amounts of money in the past as well, and didn't smash any records, or better yet actually failed to win trophies. (see Galaticos as a prime example)

He didn't just play attractive football, he smashed long standing records ( as described in the post above) while doing it. I can't answer for what the owners want, but winning a league title is not as easy as you might think, even if you have the money.

You only need to look at Liverpool's spending over the years, and see that it got them fuck all until recent times. CL has a huge amount of luck attribute to it, teams have finished 4th in their leagues and won it (hell, see to our own), you can't tell me that's the best team in Europe in that season.

Edit: i can't fucking believe i'm defending Pep :lol:

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Its simple, teams have spent enormous amounts of money in the past as well, and didn't smash any records, or better yet actually failed to win trophies. (see Galaticos as a prime example)

He didn't just play attractive football, he smashed long standing records ( as described in the post above) while doing it. I can't answer for what the owners want, but winning a league title is not as easy as you might think, even if you have the money.

You only need to look at Liverpool's spending over the years, and see that it got them fuck all until recent times. CL has a huge amount of luck attribute to it, teams have finished 4th in their leagues and won it (hell, see to our own), you can't tell me that's the best team in Europe in that season.

Edit: i can't fucking believe i'm defending Pep :lol:

You don't have to.
He's not a bad coach. But he's overrated imho. fuck the records if they don't mean titles I say.

Everyone goes on and on about Carlo Under performing with 00s Milan. But we played great football and were incredible in Europe in that period....but we only won one league title which while I'm a big fan of Carlo - is a fair criticism.

I think Klopp is a much better coach. He wins you stuff and you don't need a country's GDP to be invested. Also Klopp plays very attacking football.

beegees

I have Ph.D in Algorithm
Reaction score
Fav. Players
You don't have to.
He's not a bad coach. But he's overrated imho. fuck the records if they don't mean titles I say.

Everyone goes on and on about Carlo Under performing with 00s Milan. But we played great football and were incredible in Europe in that period....but we only won one league title which while I'm a big fan of Carlo - is a fair criticism.

I think Klopp is a much better coach. He wins you stuff and you don't need a country's GDP to be invested. Also Klopp plays very attacking football.

tenor.gif

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Anything extra ordinary at city? Are you okay
These stats you mention are nothing special, it's something that you expect from a team that has spent sooo much more than the opponents over the years and has a bench that can fight for the title.

What Lampard is doing this is season is much more impressive. Cagliari getting 4th place would be impressive. Leicester winning the title is extraordinary.

The expectations for Pep and City = treble win and domination.

I agree, there's a lot of chance/luck in CL, but not as much as you're making it sound. If you're truly good at it, you should be consistently there up top.

Carlo got to 3 finals (although should've been 4), Simeone got 2, Allegri got 2 in 3 years, Klopp got 3.

Yes, Pep did win 2 with Barca, but their team was just insanely superior to the opponents.

You don't have to.

exactly :thumbsup:

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Pep is kind of like the Zlatan of coaches. He almost guarantees domestic success/domination but his style has been found out in Europe.

I don’t think it’s fair entirely to say “oh well he has expensive squads of course he wins the league.” His teams play like machines over the course of a season, even Bayern improved domestically when he got there, and he took over a Champions league winning team.

It just comes down to how much you value domestic success vs European success. I, as a Milan fan, will always prioritize the Champions league but there is an argument to be made.

I see similarities between Pep and Sir Alex. Both great domestically, both great at building up a winning culture of dominance and expectation, both instill confidence in their teams and are great at elevating young players. Same time, both had a little success in Europe but it wasn’t consistent, I look at Sir Alex and think he didn’t win the CL nearly often enough. Pep has been unlucky lately in Europe but the teams that he lost to haven’t been amazing teams either.

The one thing I like about Pep a lot is how he makes a lot of players better. Sterling has become incredible under him, KDB and Bernardo Silva has gone up a level. Lahm and Kimmich became different players at Bayern, and he transformed Jerome Boateng into one of the best centerbacks in the world for a few seasons. Clearly at Barca he helped develop a lot of players onto new levels. People say he only buys players but he can develop players. There’s a flip side though, certain established veteran players don’t fit his style and he’s not good at including players like that(also similar to Sir Alex). Ibra, Toure, Schweinsteiger, Aguero. You can debate reasons for each but a manger like klopp wouldn’t let those scenarios happen in the same way

Nalim

Banned
Reaction score
Gonna be exciting to see Mourinho’s return to Old Trafford. Being a Spurs sympathizer I was sad seeing Poch being replaced by Mou, but I could easily see him take this talented squad to the next level.

beegees

I have Ph.D in Algorithm
Reaction score
Fav. Players
14Wins 1Draw 0Lost

4RZB2KR_700w_0.jpg

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Man Mou has fallen hard from grace, he got beat by Ole and his crew of soy boys.

Nalim

Banned
Reaction score
14Wins 1Draw 0Lost

4RZB2KR_700w_0.jpg

Could’ve been a different story after last night tbh.
At 2-1 VVD committed a clear penalty and should’ve been sent off. Of course VAR in the premier league being as ridiculously bad as it is doesn’t see it and Liverpool go on to win 5-2.

Second to Milan reaching top 4 there’s nothing I wish for more than Liverpool somehow failing to win the league title this year.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Could’ve been a different story after last night tbh.
At 2-1 VVD committed a clear penalty and should’ve been sent off. Of course VAR in the premier league being as ridiculously bad as it is doesn’t see it and Liverpool go on to win 5-2.

Second to Milan reaching top 4 there’s nothing I wish for more than Liverpool somehow failing to win the league title this year.

Leicester winning for the 2nd time - and over Liverpool - would be hilarious to see but also not entirely impossible.

beegees

I have Ph.D in Algorithm
Reaction score
Fav. Players
my God.

Klopp is really brilliant.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players

beegees

I have Ph.D in Algorithm
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Otamendi is Man City's Bonera.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players

beegees

I have Ph.D in Algorithm
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
The second half of the season is gonna be insane, with the lead Liverpool have the pressure on them will be immense.

Leicester City the dark hose in this race as well, Premier League is pure awesomeness this season.

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
love how the Bep groupies are so quiet atm :proud:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I'l reiterate, Vardy is phenomenal. Unite have absolutely zero chance of getting a CL spot this season, even with their good results as of late.

Unless they sack Ole and the other teams implode, i don't see it happening. Its funny how similar our situations are, they refuse to sack a club legend just because he has 2 good results of late.

beegees

I have Ph.D in Algorithm
Reaction score
Fav. Players
another brilliant performance by Caglar Soyuncu

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
I'l reiterate, Vardy is phenomenal. Unite have absolutely zero chance of getting a CL spot this season, even with their good results as of late.

Unless they sack Ole and the other teams implode, i don't see it happening. Its funny how similar our situations are, they refuse to sack a club legend just because he has 2 good results of late.

"Culture reboot", "youngest team in the PL", "great results vs big teams", "biggest injury list in the PL all season" etc are official reasons as well. He won't be sacked for some time. Personally think he should be let go in the Summer (not now).

Most importantly, the fans haven't turned on him. They probably never will. I think we'll finish 6th, invest about 100M net in the Summer (last two seasons have been about 130M net combined), finish 4th next season and the owners will never fire him when that target is reached. They don't care for success and it definitely seems the money has dried up. Even the stadium is well past its best.

Although the United job is very difficult, in many ways it is the easiest of all the big jobs in Europe. The pressure to actually win something is very small and the fans don't turn on you like at other top clubs, to the extent that I think it can self sabotage the team. You finish 4th every year + promote youth players = job for life because you please both the owners + the fans.

Have to say the performance in the first half vs City was immense though. Fair play to Ole. Watch us get dominated the next time we play a bottom 6 team. We're still shit against a compact defence.

Last edited:

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Arsene Wenger has admitted he felt Arsenal 'slip away' from his grasp as the game modernised rapidly at the start of this century.Wenger left the club after 22 years in the summer of 2018, with many supporters happy to see the back of him after a number of unsuccessful years.

And the Frenchman has lamented how the club's expansion into the modern era took away the 'human' touch of club management.
Wenger, who won three Premier League titles with the Gunners, told So Foot: "These days, the size of the clubs sometimes stops them from keeping the culture of performance.

"When I arrived at Arsenal, we were 80 people. When I left, there were 750, and when there's 750 people in one organisation, each one thinks about saving themselves rather than improving.

"I think there's a degree of reflection for me: how do you keep that desire to perform? Up to about 150 people, I think you can stay human. You know the name of the wife, of the kid of such and such.

"My regret at Arsenal is to have gone from human size to inhuman, with a larger administrative weight. Everything accelerated. Ten years ago, you'd see a guy who was good, you'd get him in, give him a tracksuit and he'd be a part of the team.

"That's long gone. Now, if you want a new physio, you go through 300 applications. That's how, at Arsenal, bit by bit, I felt the club slip away from me."

Too many bs positions.

beegees

I have Ph.D in Algorithm
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Leicester is so interesting to watch