Week 7: Sassuolo vs AC Milan 30/09/2018 20:30 CET

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Wasn't it him throwing a fit about not wanting to be loaned but saying that if he has to leave Milan, he needs the move to be permanent? That's how I remember it.

Yeah he needed game time - should've taken a loan instead but no point crying over spilled milk. I'll happily ridicule him at every step of the way after he turned his back on Milan.

Why should he take a loan? From his career perspective, a sale always makes more sense - the new club would be keen to make him part of a longer project.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Pierce, Aimar, Nesta, Gattuso, Kaká, Romagnoli, VAR, Genghis Khan
Why should he take a loan? From his career perspective, a sale always makes more sense - the new club would be keen to make him part of a longer project.

Because he claims to love this club and he wasn't deemed to be ready to play extensive minutes for this club. If he really loves the club, why did he try to power play himself into more playing time instead of earning it on loan?

He can do what he thinks is best for his career but it's only normal then for the fans of this club to think less of him for his decision. So how is the ridicule for him random?

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Fuck Loca, he's a snek.

He would get plenty of playing time and cement his position in 1-2 years, as Biglia fades away... and doing so at your most beloved club (supposedly) and which raised you. It's every kid's dream.

By this logic, it would make even much more sense for Cutrone to leave, after the season he's had. He truly deserves to start every game and would do so for almost every club in Serie A. But he stayed, because he fucking loves this club.

Fuck Loca

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
also, good post truant

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Seedorf started his tenure the same way Rino started this season. Magnificent football for 30 minutes and then listless and tired motion around the pitch. He never learned. While Rino is obviously a far cleverer coach and is adapting rapidly.

I'm not one of the scrambled eggs fans, but this is harsh and inaccurate.
C4C dropped the high intensity totaalvoetbal idea after a few games when it became apparent to everyone that it was not sustainable or suitable for that squad. He found a winning formula with an anti-Sacchi 4-2-3-1 that slowed down games to Taarabt's, Balo's and washed up Kaka's tempo.

The worst thing about Seedorf's tenure was the lack of professionalism and order at Milanello, even by modern Milan standards.
Reports of the coach himself arriving late for training. Guys like Taarabt, Balo and co being seen partying late at nights before games without any repercussions. The dressing room being split between notorious troublemakers/unprofessional clowns on one side(who backed and was backed by Seedorf) and players with far better reputation in terms of professionalism on the other end.
Some of it may have been lies sold to the media by B&G, but it can't be denied that he was allowing the Taarabt crew to run the show and that's never good or acceptable.

Last edited:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I'm not one of the scrambled eggs fans, but this is harsh and inaccurate.
C4C dropped the high intensity totaalvoetbal idea after a few games when it became apparent to everyone that it was not sustainable or suitable for that squad. He found a winning formula with an anti-Sacchi 4-2-3-1 that slowed down games to Taarabt's, Balo's and washed up Kaka's tempo.

The worst thing about Seedorf's tenure was the lack of professionalism and order at Milanello, even by modern Milan standards.
Reports of the coach himself arriving late for training. Guys like Taarabt, Balo and co being seen partying late at nights before games without any repercussions. The dressing room being split between notorious troublemakers/unprofessional clowns on one side(who backed and was backed by Seedorf) and players with far better reputation in terms of professionalism on the other end.
Some of it may have been lies sold to the media by B&G, but it can't be denied that he was allowing the Taarabt crew to run the show and that's never good or acceptable.

All of this probably happened. Seedorf wasn’t a particularly clever coach and he was an egomaniac who couldn’t manage a squad. I’ll never forget the throne though.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Because he claims to love this club and he wasn't deemed to be ready to play extensive minutes for this club. If he really loves the club, why did he try to power play himself into more playing time instead of earning it on loan?

He can do what he thinks is best for his career but it's only normal then for the fans of this club to think less of him for his decision. So how is the ridicule for him random?

You seem to be taking this ‘he claims to love this club’ bit at far more face value than it deserves.. He would’ve been stupid to choose this love over his career.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Pierce, Aimar, Nesta, Gattuso, Kaká, Romagnoli, VAR, Genghis Khan
You seem to be taking this ‘he claims to love this club’ bit at far more face value than it deserves.. He would’ve been stupid to choose this love over his career.

Well it's obvious that he doesn't love the club as much as he professes he do. As I said, he can choose what he wants but there will be a suitable reaction. I actually, like many others here and certainly including you, love this club and I don't care for people that claim to love the club but turn their back at the first opportunity.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Wow 1-4 against a form team in the league away. I was hoping we could pull it off, absorb the pressure and hit them on the counter-attack.

But I'll be the first to admit that my support for Gattuso was wavering, waning even. I was starting to find myself looking to the dark side, to a back-3-playing-Juventino, or to anyone to save our season. If anything I was starting to think that we needed a change in manager to be able to keep Leo and Maldini and many of these players because surely they too are on borrowed time the lower down the table we go.

Watching this match reminded me that Rino is quite good at adapting and evolving. He is still learning and finding his style at a massive club. He does not have a lot of time to learn but you could see that he is trying to address some of the problems:

- before the players had a stubborn insistence (instructed by Rino no doubt) to pass the ball out of the back no matter what. Last night we did pass the ball from the back often, but sometimes booted the ball to safety. That variation is important because it is really hard to keep your concentration for 95 mins.

- before we did not attack with pace on the counterattack and exploit the space when the other team was chasing the game. This game we did. We seemed to have a killer instinct that we did not have in previous games.

- before Rino's substitutions were poor choices. Loved how last night he brought on Laxalt to double up with RR on the left. At one stage there was RR on the left with Laxalt in front of him and Bona in front of Laxalt so we looked really dangerous on the left. Laxalt introduced pace and a counterattacking threat and I really enjoyed watching him play. He's fast becoming one of my favourites and I find myself looking forward to his introduction in every match.

- The Castillejo as false-9 experiment was forced but is such a blessing in disguise. Hopefully no longer will we see Borini as CF. At first I too thought Samu was too lightweight and he kept going down too easily. But the guy works hard, has great movement, draws away defenders and what a goal. It was easily the one I cheered for loudest.

- this match we didn't do too much of our usual pattern of starting a quick attack down the flanks only to slow down and give up and pass it all the way back which was great.

Having said all that, there are still some worries. It could have gone the other way if Gigio didn't make that save, or if Abate didn't make that save of his own or if a penalty was given against Biglia and even worse if he got a second yellow. We sometimes still look a bit sloppy.

But let it not take away from a well-deserved and spectacular victory. It's time to enjoy the moment. I hope we gain momentum and go from strength to strength.

Forza Rino. Forza Milan.

:thumbsup:

Reaction score
Anyone else noticed Bakayoko is kind of jinxed? we've only won in the league when he hasn't featured

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
One win doesn't give me much satisfaction, I want like five in a row including the derby.

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
Gattuso's post-match words:

“In the five games before this, the team has always played good football,” coach Gattuso told Sky Italia after the match. “We’ve had highs and lows, we’re not very consistent, often having a great first half and falling away in the second. We dominated Empoli and could’ve had a 4-1 result there, but Pietro Terracciano made five or six great saves. If we want to become a great team we have to find consistency, but then there are also the opponents who sometimes play great games.

At this moment, our defensive movements aren’t as good and it’s not just about the defenders, but the protective shield and going too deep. That is our weakness. We don’t press the opposition on the edge of the area, just sit back as a shield and don’t go towards them. We had four or five through balls that caused us a lot of problems, but we know that is something we have to improve on.

“We have little time but it’s not everything to throw away. The team does many good things and this result can help us gain confidence in everything we’re working on. The victory brings tranquility? It brings a bit of peace and conviction in what we do. But a single victory is not enough.

“When you wear the Milan jersey and work at a glorious club like this, which wants to get back to the top, there is pressure. We have to be good at working, it’s not all to be thrown away. People aren’t so much interested as performances as results and the table, but I knew this team was alive and had promise. I am the one responsible and the important thing is to give these guys time to grow.

“The concept of a winning mentality? It means that when you have the advantage then sometimes you need to kick a few balls outside the stadium, you believe in suffering and look for other goals. We’re lacking this. The team plays well, they know what they want but when the team begins to lose its safety, going for second balls, it becomes vulnerable and sometimes suffers from the opponents.

“Suso? In order to complete his growth process, Suso has to get to know Higuain better, he must give the ball that he gave against Atalanta more often. If he cuts inside slightly less, he can be like Insigne at Napoli. Suso can score goals, because he has that in his locker.

“But above all, Suso can create many goals for others like Higuain. The striker position? We hope to recover someone, but the fact of having Cutrone limping less is important, he had less trouble with his ankle. It’s better to have everyone available. We play on Thursday, then against Chievo on Sunday it’s never easy and then there’s a break. I hope to finish off these two matches as well.

“André Silva [who is the La Liga top scorer now with 7 goals for Sevilla]? He didn’t want to stay. There were Higuain and Cutrone so when I heard that, I knew you couldn’t convince him and I couldn’t promise 25-30 games. I had no doubt he was a great striker. We did everything to make him stay but he made a choice. But nobody sent André Silva away. He wanted to go.”

Speaking in the post-match press conference, Rino said: “The goals from outside the box? It’s not something you can prepare before. Also against Empoli we had many shots from outside the box and Terracciano had 4-5 miracle saves. We have created many chances this year. The score was missing just Çalhanoğlu who was knocking on the door. He got there many times against Empoli but wasn’t precise. We did well to know how to suffer, then our quality came out.

“What I liked less? This team needs to improve in what we don’t like doing: too many times we struggle and leave too much space, when we start the play from the back, for instance. We took the lead five times and if the matches had ended in the 70th minute we would be talking about an entirely different story. This is what we need to improve.

“Higuain? I hope to have him back this week. I don’t want to put too much pressure on his recovery. I haven’t studied medicine, I had a hard time graduating, so I don’t understand anything about medicine, but I don’t want relapses. He’ll have more tests tomorrow and see how he is.

“Castillejo? He did very well, he found the space behind the defenders and allowed us to catch our breath. Apart from the goal, I think he made the right movements. We alternated him with Çalhanoğlu at the start but the Turk feels more comfortable on the left than in the middle. I could’ve risked Cutrone but I didn’t want to because every time he takes a blow he has pain for 4-5 minutes.”

Gattuso also had an interview with RAI: “We must definitely improve the aspects that have penalized us up until now, a winning mentality is needed and this comes slowly. When the results don’t come then the fear takes over. So it’s not a coincidence when even the great players do errors.

“We have three competitions and I need everyone. If I have all available then it’s more difficult to make choices. Against Sassuolo we lacked one of our most important players in Higuain, who had a little problem. Fortunately Cutrone is a bit better.

I’m very angry because we conceded a goal again, I was hoping not to concede. If you can close the goal for 2-3 games then we can grow on a mental level. We are happy to have won but the performances were never lacking, even if we’ve had highs and lows.
“If we continue on this path then we can have a good campaign.”

Rino is pretty tuned in. I sometimes worry when he has that overwhelmed look like it's all too much for him. But it seems that up there in his cranium the wheels are turning.

A bit worried about Cutrone. At times he was walking a bit gingerly. Hope he gets back to full fitness soon.

Youth

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Gattuso's post-match words:

Rino is pretty tuned in. I sometimes worry when he has that overwhelmed look like it's all too much for him. But it seems that up there in his cranium the wheels are turning.

A bit worried about Cutrone. At times he was walking a bit gingerly. Hope he gets back to full fitness soon.

Our biggest problem, mentality, was still not tested in the last game. In addition we still had inconsistency on our play.

We do deserved the win but IF somehow Sassuolo managed to equalize (1-1), I am not sure if we could escape from our problem. Unfortunately we had significant improvement there, we were able to play our game after leading 1-0, we did play offensive game, the grit to score more goals was there, this is crucial. This is what the team should do: focus our own play and ignore the score line. This is actually the product of weak mentality, loosing concetration when we are goal behind or do not have determination to add goals when we were only lead 1 goal.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

Suso, niang, abate, ambrosini, abbiati all went on loan and came back to us. If he actually believes he is good player and deserves to get playing time here, he would surely get playing time in midtable team even if he was loaned.

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
Our biggest problem, mentality, was still not tested in the last game. In addition we still had inconsistency on our play.

We do deserved the win but IF somehow Sassuolo managed to equalize (1-1), I am not sure if we could escape from our problem. Unfortunately we had significant improvement there, we were able to play our game after leading 1-0, we did play offensive game, the grit to score more goals was there, this is crucial. This is what the team should do: focus our own play and ignore the score line. This is actually the product of weak mentality, loosing concetration when we are goal behind or do not have determination to add goals when we were only lead 1 goal.

Good points. To kill off the game once we get the lead is so important and would have definitely given us wins against Cagliari, Atalanta and Empoli.

It falls on not just Rino but also on our Paolo to impart the mentality of champions.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Good points. To kill off the game once we get the lead is so important and would have definitely given us wins against Cagliari, Atalanta and Empoli.

It falls on not just Rino but also on our Paolo to impart the mentality of champions.

we did keep attacking after scoring on all those games you mentioned including napoli. problem was our finishing and decision making in the final third.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
we did keep attacking after scoring on all those games you mentioned including napoli. problem was our finishing and decision making in the final third.

No we did not, counter attacks don't count. As soon as we open the score, we start defending with 10 men, regardless of the opposition or minute the play is in.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
[...]

- before the players had a stubborn insistence (instructed by Rino no doubt) to pass the ball out of the back no matter what. Last night we did pass the ball from the back often, but sometimes booted the ball to safety. That variation is important because it is really hard to keep your concentration for 95 mins.
[...]

Thank you. Many of us who noticed that early in the season were attacked for weak mentality. It has nothing to do with that. The way we played out of the back – nonstop passing around or even in our own box while inviting opponents to press us there – was just stupid and not clever at all.

Playing out from the back means stringing together two or three passes to find a way out of the danger zone – not into the danger zone. Looking back to those games our defence most of the time looked isolated from the mezz'alas, so that it was very easy for opponents to close the pass routes from our defence to our midfield; Roma, Musa or Biglia when being in posession mostly couldn't do anything else than pass the ball backwards because opponents closed well.

Against Sassuolo both Bona and Kessie stayed way closer to Biglia than usually, and I think that's exactely what Gattuso said in the post-match interviews when mentioning holes between our departments. It was way easier for our defence to find a way out from behind.

[...]
Having said all that, there are still some worries. It could have gone the other way if Gigio didn't make that save, or if Abate didn't make that save of his own or if a penalty was given against Biglia and even worse if he got a second yellow. We sometimes still look a bit sloppy.

It could have gone another way when Suso scored that big chance in the very 1st 10 minutes of the game :). Or when Terraciano last weak wasn't in De-Gea-mode and and and... but that's football.

That's what coaches or players mean when they say "a game is always decided within it's episodes". Which means sometimes you can play very well overall but still loose a game when the episodes don't go in your favour.

And, honestly, we can calmly say that many of those episodes in the past few weeks didn't go in our favour, influencing our overall game and selfesteem.

• Napolis 2nd goal against us being a volley from an unlucky header from Kessie after a corner
  • Higuains not given goal because of VAR and 2mm or so...
  • Cagliaris goal coming after a shot who was deflected from the post directly into the feets of the only Cagliari player within miles
  • Or Empolis goal coming from Romas only missplaced pass in the whole game, who was that once in a season error he comits.
  • Or yeah think of the Atalanta game where Bona hits the post, or is by a little margin in offside which denied us the 2-0 lead.
  • And as said, Terraciano having the game of his career, saving tremendous shots who even Buffon would have let in (surely Susos last attempt in the overtime)

There are so many things who this season really went against us and didn't help us or who made good displays look terrible. I mean I'm not saying we played brilliantly, it's under all eyes how inconsistent this team can be during 90 minutes. But nonetheless we would have way more points if some of those above mentioned episodes just went in our way. Maybe, our mental issues would be way smaller then too...

No we really didn't. This team looks scared as fuck as soon as it leads. No wonders if you look at all the shit mentioned above that happened to us once we took the lead. I would start to believe too that things always will go against me and therefore start to play shaky.

Hope this game helps us finding some selfesteem and learning that episodes can go in our favour too from time to time.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
No we did not, counter attacks don't count. As soon as we open the score, we start defending with 10 men, regardless of the opposition or minute the play is in.
why should counter attacks not be counted? being compact when off the ball doesn't mean we defend with 10 men, every team in the world does that.

No we really didn't. This team looks scared as fuck as soon as it leads. No wonders if you look at all the shit mentioned above that happened to us once we took the lead. I would start to believe too that things always will go against me and therefore start to play shaky.

Hope this game helps us finding some selfesteem and learning that episodes can go in our favour too from time to time.

we only get confused after half time and mostly for 10-20 minutes after opponents make sub/tactical adjustment. this team doesn't look scared after it leads. the only time i remember not wanting to play(clearing ball lazily) was against atalanta where we threw the 2-1 lead away for nothing. opponent having possession in our area doesn't mean we are scared, it is bound to happen during the game.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
why should counter attacks not be counted? being compact when off the ball doesn't mean we defend with 10 men, every team in the world does that.

Did our team actually looked compact to you? Like they know what they were doing?

To me it looked like Gattuso told them don't cross the midfield line, all of you in defence as soon as we score a goal. They had no clue how counter as well, a few times one of our players ran with the ball on the counter, and had to stop in the final third because nobody followed him forward.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Did our team actually looked compact to you? Like they know what they were doing?

To me it looked like Gattuso told them don't cross the midfield line, all of you in defence as soon as we score a goal. They had no clue how counter as well, a few times one of our players ran with the ball on the counter, and had to stop in the final third because nobody followed him forward.

you make it sound like we are conceding 3-4 goals per game and creating only 0 chances after we scored.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
you make it sound like we are conceding 3-4 goals per game and creating only 0 chances after we scored.

We scored 12 and conceded 9. Out of these 12 we scored 4 in the last game.

Before that statistic was 8 scored and 8 conceded, yes we are that bad.

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Thank you. Many of us who noticed that early in the season were attacked for weak mentality. It has nothing to do with that. The way we played out of the back – nonstop passing around or even in our own box while inviting opponents to press us there – was just stupid and not clever at all.

Playing out from the back means stringing together two or three passes to find a way out of the danger zone – not into the danger zone. Looking back to those games our defence most of the time looked isolated from the mezz'alas, so that it was very easy for opponents to close the pass routes from our defence to our midfield; Roma, Musa or Biglia when being in posession mostly couldn't do anything else than pass the ball backwards because opponents closed well.

Against Sassuolo both Bona and Kessie stayed way closer to Biglia than usually
, and I think that's exactely what Gattuso said in the post-match interviews when mentioning holes between our departments. It was way easier for our defence to find a way out from behind.

:thumbsup: well spotted. I have to say that it is these details that display an evolution in our tactics which makes me hopeful that we can make a statement this season. Hopefully top 4 and EL.

It could have gone another way when Suso scored that big chance in the very 1st 10 minutes of the game :). Or when Terraciano last weak wasn't in De-Gea-mode and and and... but that's football.

That's what coaches or players mean when they say "a game is always decided within it's episodes". Which means sometimes you can play very well overall but still loose a game when the episodes don't go in your favour.

And, honestly, we can calmly say that many of those episodes in the past few weeks didn't go in our favour, influencing our overall game and selfesteem.

• Napolis 2nd goal against us being a volley from an unlucky header from Kessie after a corner
  • Higuains not given goal because of VAR and 2mm or so...
  • Cagliaris goal coming after a shot who was deflected from the post directly into the feets of the only Cagliari player within miles
  • Or Empolis goal coming from Romas only missplaced pass in the whole game, who was that once in a season error he comits.
  • Or yeah think of the Atalanta game where Bona hits the post, or is by a little margin in offside which denied us the 2-0 lead.
  • And as said, Terraciano having the game of his career, saving tremendous shots who even Buffon would have let in (surely Susos last attempt in the overtime)

There are so many things who this season really went against us and didn't help us or who made good displays look terrible. I mean I'm not saying we played brilliantly, it's under all eyes how inconsistent this team can be during 90 minutes. But nonetheless we would have way more points if some of those above mentioned episodes just went in our way. Maybe, our mental issues would be way smaller then too...

Indeed.

Although it is hard to look at it from that perspective when an unlucky streak becomes a downward spiral of losing confidence.

I really appreciate that some posters here like yourself are consistently grounded in your appraisal of the team rather than rushing to knee-jerk results-based appraisals. I admit I too do fall victim to that mentality at times.

Amen to that bro.

Last edited:

Schedule