Week 8: Milan - Lecce 20/10/19 20:45 CET

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
IIRC, Castillejo is suspended for the game?

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The frightening thing is necro has a pretty solid understanding of how shitty Italian managers think, so I won’t be surprised to see that attack and midfield he posted.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The frightening thing is necro has a pretty solid understanding of how shitty Italian managers think, so I won’t be surprised to see that attack and midfield he posted.

Hakan-Piatek-Suso has been our main front 3 this year.
It would be very surprising if Pioli doesn't opt for it even once.

As for the midfield, what's so bad about it, if you consider the options?
Biglia starting? None of us are happy about that, but he's the only anchor we have. Bennacer is a poor fit for such a delicate role.
The role for him in a 3 man midfield is in one of the 2 mezz'ali spots, although there are a few adjustments he would need to make.

I'm not sure Paqueta-Biglia-Bennacer is a good combination of midfielders though. It seems to lack an engine.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Yeah, in the end it's still likelier to be Paqueta-Biglia-Kessie for a 4-3-3. But Bennacer should be gunning for that Kessie role, I doubt he'll dislodge Biglia in a 4-3-3 lineup.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, in the end it's still likelier to be Paqueta-Biglia-Kessie for a 4-3-3. But Bennacer should be gunning for that Kessie role, I doubt he'll dislodge Biglia in a 4-3-3 lineup.

I think pressure from Boban and Maldini will force him to start Bennacer eventually in place of Biglia. He was presented as the coach that will grow the young players. I doubt was chosen without giving guarantees that he'll play all the young new guys.

I agree he'll probably start the first few weeks with Biglia, but it won't be long until Bennacer takes over. Maybe he can take over from Kessie, but his qualities are really useful in front of the defence, being able to resist pressing and turn quickly and play a forward pass. The mezzala role, not sure how Pioli sees it, but at least when we played under Gattuso, was mostly a role designed for dribbling and moving the ball up quickly in transitions. There is no one in the team better than Kessie and Paqueta at this.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Stefano Pioli’s Milan is beginning to take shape in a 4-3-3 with Ante Rebic, Suso and either Krzysztof Piatek or Rafael Leao.

He came in to replace Marco Giampaolo, who was sacked after four defeats in the opening seven rounds, and will make his debut against Lecce this weekend.

According to Sky Sport Italia, Pioli will stick with the 4-3-3 formation and continues to see Lucas Paqueta as a midfielder rather than in a more advanced role.

The main changes are in the trident, where he could give Rebic his first start in a Rossoneri jersey on the left side of attack.

Suso remains on the right, which means Piatek and Leao are fighting for a single starting place as centre-forward.

Davide Calabria and Samu Castillejo are suspended this weekend, while Lucas Biglia and Paqueta are expected to step in, sending Hakan Calhanoglu and Ismael Bennacer to the bench.

Milan (probable): G Donnarumma; Conti, Musacchio, Romagnoli, Theo Hernandez; Kessie, Biglia, Paqueta; Suso, Piatek, Rebic

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I think pressure from Boban and Maldini will force him to start Bennacer eventually in place of Biglia. He was presented as the coach that will grow the young players. I doubt was chosen without giving guarantees that he'll play all the young new guys.

I agree he'll probably start the first few weeks with Biglia, but it won't be long until Bennacer takes over. Maybe he can take over from Kessie, but his qualities are really useful in front of the defence, being able to resist pressing and turn quickly and play a forward pass. The mezzala role, not sure how Pioli sees it, but at least when we played under Gattuso, was mostly a role designed for dribbling and moving the ball up quickly in transitions. There is no one in the team better than Kessie and Paqueta at this.

^I think management would choose getting 4th place over developing young guys as the larger priority. Let's see how Bennacer shapes up. From what I've seen so far, he doesn't seem appropriate for an anchoring role. It will be great if he can dislodge Biglia from the starting XI, but like I said, I see a greater chance of him closing in on the mezz'ala position.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
I want Leao-Piatek-Rebic up top. Please do this mister Pioli.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Damn, I've done everything I could possible think of to get my mind off Milan and let time pass faster because of the activities I've done. It really has felt like one year, but it's still 3-4 days to go until I can finally watch Milan again, ffs...

Cant wait til the game, I have truly missed you my love, Forzaaa :heart:

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Balotelli, Leão, Theo, Zlatan, Tonali
I want Leao-Piatek-Rebic up top. Please do this mister Pioli.

That actually sounds exciting. I haven't given up on Piatek, I think he'll still put in 20-25 goals at least. Let's see if Pioli ever will have the balls to drop Suso though.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I rather see Suso. Two SS (one on the wrong side) and a CF does sound quite shit, no width.

I also don't like how Suso gets singled out, what have Piatek or Hakan done? In comparison Suso deserves his place more at the moment, admittedly not by a huge margin but still.

ShevaNo7

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Maldini, Boban, Weah, Sheva, Kaka, Rui Costa, Nesta, Zizou
I rather see Suso. Two SS (one on the wrong side) and a CF does sound quite shit, no width.

I also don't like how Suso gets singled out, what have Piatek or Hakan done? In comparison Suso deserves his place more at the moment, admittedly not by a huge margin but still.

Maybe because he is a black hole into which 95% of attacks disappear?

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
In a simple 4-3-3, Suso is still our best bet on the right. But Leao needs to start, whether that's on the left side or in the middle.

I have no clue how good Leao is at tracking back (which a forward in Giampaolo's style doesn't really need to do, but a side forward in a 4-3-3 absolutely must), so Pioli's decision between Hakan and Leao on the left might solely be based on that aspect.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Probable lineups for Milan-Lecce [Gazzetta dello Sport]

2e6d9d9aa3df20e0539b887ebaa7262a.jpg

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'd love to see Bennacer but he is a liability in front of defense at this point, there is no point in pretending otherwise.
I hope we can groom him into a better player in the defensive part of the game over the course of his first season.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
It's not like these formation tell us anything. It's the same formation as ever with basically the same players starting(Giampaolo, Gattuso, Montella...) . The difference will show on the pitch, if any.

Hope Rebic and Leao shine. I barely look forward to the game.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
In a simple 4-3-3, Suso is still our best bet on the right. But Leao needs to start, whether that's on the left side or in the middle.

I have no clue how good Leao is at tracking back (which a forward in Giampaolo's style doesn't really need to do, but a side forward in a 4-3-3 absolutely must), so Pioli's decision between Hakan and Leao on the left might solely be based on that aspect.

nah it will be between rebic and leao, hakan I don't believe will start (and I couldn't be happier)

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
I'd love to see Bennacer but he is a liability in front of defense at this point, there is no point in pretending otherwise.
I hope we can groom him into a better player in the defensive part of the game over the course of his first season.

It was one disaster game, I think Bennacer should get many more chances there and see how it goes. Crazy how 1 game is the entire players career now... not saying that it is his best spot, but just that it may be and we need much more of a sample size before we automatically deem him a defensive liability

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It was one disaster game, I think Bennacer should get many more chances there and see how it goes. Crazy how 1 game is the entire players career now... not saying that it is his best spot, but just that it may be and we need much more of a sample size before we automatically deem him a defensive liability

To be fair there wasn‘t really a game where he gave confidence in the defensive part and regarding his time at Empoli this is reported to be his weakness too.
I actually really like the guy and by no means I say that we shouldn‘t count on him. It‘s just that his weakness should be acknowledged and worked on, at his age and at that stage of his career it is ok to have weaknesses.

I rather have an open view on it than pretending that he is more ready than he really is and going in hurr durr fodder player mode after he disapoints.

SixOneFive

Long Live Don Silvio
Reaction score

Agreed. Glad to see Biglia in there to be honest. Hopefully Rebic actually gets to start.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score

I wouldn’t complain about this. He will learn quickly that Biglia is a sentient garbage can.

Benching Hakan? Beautiful
Starting Leao? Yasss
Rebic: Have to give this guy a shot

Hopefully, we can find a way to play without Suso the man with a 7 year old girl’s body.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan

Mussachio again :fp:

That fraud needs to stay away.

Good attacking trio though

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
I just don’t want to see Biglia, Hakan or Suso anymore

Is that too much to ask for?

On the upside, Lecce doesn’t play that defensive as you would expect
We might have it easier

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Please play Leao.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
I am Leaoking forward to this game.