Milan's History Thread

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Sticky!

Teams of the Decade #14: Milan 2002-07
January 22, 2010

Milan will go down as one of the classic teams of the decade, if only for the players that wore the Rossoneri shirts. It featured a true modern legend in Paolo Maldini, as well as Costacurta, Stam, Cafu, Nesta, Serginho, Pirlo, Redondo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Boban, Kaka, Rui Costa, Leonardo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Inzaghi, Crespo, Pato…in fact, more true world-class footballers than any club throughout the decade.

AC_Milan_2003_shevchenko_inzaghi_pirlo_rui_costa_maldini.jpg

Milan, 2003 European Cup winners

Reaching three Champions League finals in five years from 2003-07 was an incredible achievement, although Ancelotti’s time at Milan only brought one Scudetto in eight years, which is why it is relatively far down this list.

The wonderful thing about Milan’s side was that they were able to deploy so many creative players in the centre of midfield, and the key to this was Andrea Pirlo. Not enough attention is given to Pirlo’s remarkable change in position. At the turn of the century, he was held up as the next great trequartista, the new Roberto Baggio, and excelled for Italy’s under-21 side playing just behind the forwards, both creating and scoring goals. Unfortunately, Inter couldn’t find any room for him in their side, and they loaned him out to his first club, Brescia, in order to learn first-hand from Baggio, the master. Carlo Mazzone, however, completely reinvented Pirlo’s game, and deployed him in front of the back four, sitting and creating from deep – using his incredibly accurate long-range passes to great effect.

new-milan.jpg

Milan, 2004 Serie A winners

Milan saw glimpses of how good he could be in a deep role, and bought him from their city rivals for £12m. But his first season at Milan was unspectacular – they spent most of the campaign in 5th or 6th place, and with Carlo Ancelotti knowing he would lose his job if he didn’t qualify for the Champions League, now was not the time for tactical innovations. Pirlo’s creativity was overlooked in favour of the experience of Demitrio Albertini, the reliability of Massimo Ambrosini, or the energy of Massimo Donati, another young Italian central midfielder Milan had bought in 2001. With Fernando Redondo set to come back from injury in Pirlo’s position, his days at Milan looked numbered.

The departure of Albertini in the summer of 2002 coincided with the arrival of Pirlo’s former Inter teammate, Clarence Seedorf. With Manuel Rui Costa also a regular, Milan were playing with two playmakers high up the pitch, and the opposition’s central midfield were forced to play deep, and focus on remaining compact in front of their defence. With Gatusso providing enough energy for two holding midfield players, Pirlo was free to create in front of his own back four – and suddenly Milan had Rui Costa, Seedorf and Pirlo, three classic Number 10s, in the centre of midfield.

Milan won the Champions League that season, with a solid back four and two out-and-out strikers. A fairly standard 4-3-1-2 shape (above left), it was the tireless running of Seedorf and Gatusso that meant Milan’s ultra-central approach worked.

Milan_2007_kaka_inzaghi_maldini_seedorf_pirlo.jpg

Milan, 2007 European Cup winners

Some sides might have rested on their laurels having won the European Cup, but Milan went ahead and bought a young Brazilian named Kaka. And, with Pippo Inzaghi injured for much of the campaign, Milan went even further in their obsession with central playmakers, often playing Kaka, Rui Costa, Seedorf and Pirlo in central midfield, with Shevchenko upfront on his own (above right), scoring 24 league goals that season. Milan won the league by 11 points.

But whilst their midfield offered numerous points of attack, it was often exposed defensively. This happened twice in the Champions League, in two of the most incredible comebacks in the history of European competition. In 2004, Milan thrashed Deportivo 4-1 at home in the first leg of their quarter-final and appeared to be comfortable, only to suffer a humiliating 0-4 defeat at the Riazor. The infamous episode in the 2005 Champions League final further demonstrated Milan’s problem – they led 3-0 at the break and still fell apart and lost the tie.

These embarrassments convinced Ancelotti that he needed more bite in midfield, with Seedorf and Gattuso getting older, and not able to cover as much distance as previously. Therefore, another holding midfielder, in Massimo Ambrosini was inserted, with Seedorf pushing further forward and Kaka playing off a lone striker (left). The decreased threat from the centre of midfield was compensated with two attacking, pacey full-backs, meaning Milan offered the same level of attacking threat whilst remaining solid defensively, and they regained the European Cup in 2007.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/01/22/teams-of-the-decade-14-milan-2002-07/

Don't know why only 14-th. Still good read. I'm not sure the endless arguments of Pirlo have noted this(from the comments, also worth a read):

Mazzone in World Soccer Magazine Sep 2008: “I was managing Brescia when Pirlo still considered himself a mezzapunta (attacking midfielder). I told him to play in front of the defenders, because he had vision. ‘But I like goals,’ he told me, unconvinced. ‘You score four or five a year,’ I replied. ‘Play in this position and you’ll score even more. Let’s try it for two weeks. You’ll be a base playmaker.’

“I told him to play two games without asking questions. Afterwards e told me: ‘I feel very comfortable here. I get the ball all the time.’ He found out how it worked. If I’d told him I was going to play him as a libero ahead of the defenders, he’d have run away terriffied. Calling him a base playmaker convinced him.”

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Nice read.

Ancelotti also doubted Pirlo's ability to pay as a deep-lying playmaker and Pirlo managed to get a lot of playing time in season 01/02 simply because Rui Costa was injured especially at the last part of the season. Ancelotti was still using Ambrosini as the main DM along with Gattuso. But during one of the pre-season friendlies (Trofeo Berlusconi 02 if not mistaken), Ambrosini wasn't available and Pirlo asked Ancelotti if he could fill in the role but also requested Gattuso to 'cover' him. Seeing no risk in the experiment, Ancelotti complied.

During the game Pirlo played briliantly, spraying passes left and right and more importantly he was able to play along with Rui Costa and Seedorf. The seeds of the 3 attacking midfielders started there. That game was also acknowledged by Ambrosini as the start of his diminishing role in Milan which prompted him to request transfer at the beginning of every seasons (some might remember this with certain irritation when he was appointed as captain after Maldini retired) before Ancelotti (out of desperation I might say) brought Ambrosini back to the squad for the 4-3-2-1 christmas tree formation which brought CL 07, UEFA Super Cup 07 and WWC tittles.

And when Pirlo was unavailable during several games in season 04/05 and 05/06, Rui Costa (due to decreased playing time after Kaka blossomed) asked Ancelotti if he could fill Pirlo's role. It didn't work out since Rui Costa's type of play isn't suitable.

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Sticky!

Teams of the Decade #14: Milan 2002-07
January 22, 2010

Milan will go down as one of the classic teams of the decade, if only for the players that wore the Rossoneri shirts. It featured a true modern legend in Paolo Maldini, as well as Costacurta, Stam, Cafu, Nesta, Serginho, Pirlo, Redondo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Boban, Kaka, Rui Costa, Leonardo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Inzaghi, Crespo, Pato…in fact, more true world-class footballers than any club throughout the decade.

AC_Milan_2003_shevchenko_inzaghi_pirlo_rui_costa_maldini.jpg

Milan, 2003 European Cup winners

Reaching three Champions League finals in five years from 2003-07 was an incredible achievement, although Ancelotti’s time at Milan only brought one Scudetto in eight years, which is why it is relatively far down this list.

The wonderful thing about Milan’s side was that they were able to deploy so many creative players in the centre of midfield, and the key to this was Andrea Pirlo. Not enough attention is given to Pirlo’s remarkable change in position. At the turn of the century, he was held up as the next great trequartista, the new Roberto Baggio, and excelled for Italy’s under-21 side playing just behind the forwards, both creating and scoring goals. Unfortunately, Inter couldn’t find any room for him in their side, and they loaned him out to his first club, Brescia, in order to learn first-hand from Baggio, the master. Carlo Mazzone, however, completely reinvented Pirlo’s game, and deployed him in front of the back four, sitting and creating from deep – using his incredibly accurate long-range passes to great effect.

new-milan.jpg

Milan, 2004 Serie A winners

Milan saw glimpses of how good he could be in a deep role, and bought him from their city rivals for £12m. But his first season at Milan was unspectacular – they spent most of the campaign in 5th or 6th place, and with Carlo Ancelotti knowing he would lose his job if he didn’t qualify for the Champions League, now was not the time for tactical innovations. Pirlo’s creativity was overlooked in favour of the experience of Demitrio Albertini, the reliability of Massimo Ambrosini, or the energy of Massimo Donati, another young Italian central midfielder Milan had bought in 2001. With Fernando Redondo set to come back from injury in Pirlo’s position, his days at Milan looked numbered.

The departure of Albertini in the summer of 2002 coincided with the arrival of Pirlo’s former Inter teammate, Clarence Seedorf. With Manuel Rui Costa also a regular, Milan were playing with two playmakers high up the pitch, and the opposition’s central midfield were forced to play deep, and focus on remaining compact in front of their defence. With Gatusso providing enough energy for two holding midfield players, Pirlo was free to create in front of his own back four – and suddenly Milan had Rui Costa, Seedorf and Pirlo, three classic Number 10s, in the centre of midfield.

Milan won the Champions League that season, with a solid back four and two out-and-out strikers. A fairly standard 4-3-1-2 shape (above left), it was the tireless running of Seedorf and Gatusso that meant Milan’s ultra-central approach worked.

Milan_2007_kaka_inzaghi_maldini_seedorf_pirlo.jpg

Milan, 2007 European Cup winners

Some sides might have rested on their laurels having won the European Cup, but Milan went ahead and bought a young Brazilian named Kaka. And, with Pippo Inzaghi injured for much of the campaign, Milan went even further in their obsession with central playmakers, often playing Kaka, Rui Costa, Seedorf and Pirlo in central midfield, with Shevchenko upfront on his own (above right), scoring 24 league goals that season. Milan won the league by 11 points.

But whilst their midfield offered numerous points of attack, it was often exposed defensively. This happened twice in the Champions League, in two of the most incredible comebacks in the history of European competition. In 2004, Milan thrashed Deportivo 4-1 at home in the first leg of their quarter-final and appeared to be comfortable, only to suffer a humiliating 0-4 defeat at the Riazor. The infamous episode in the 2005 Champions League final further demonstrated Milan’s problem – they led 3-0 at the break and still fell apart and lost the tie.

These embarrassments convinced Ancelotti that he needed more bite in midfield, with Seedorf and Gattuso getting older, and not able to cover as much distance as previously. Therefore, another holding midfielder, in Massimo Ambrosini was inserted, with Seedorf pushing further forward and Kaka playing off a lone striker (left). The decreased threat from the centre of midfield was compensated with two attacking, pacey full-backs, meaning Milan offered the same level of attacking threat whilst remaining solid defensively, and they regained the European Cup in 2007.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/01/22/teams-of-the-decade-14-milan-2002-07/

Don't know why only 14-th. Still good read. I'm not sure the endless arguments of Pirlo have noted this(from the comments, also worth a read):

Mazzone in World Soccer Magazine Sep 2008: “I was managing Brescia when Pirlo still considered himself a mezzapunta (attacking midfielder). I told him to play in front of the defenders, because he had vision. ‘But I like goals,’ he told me, unconvinced. ‘You score four or five a year,’ I replied. ‘Play in this position and you’ll score even more. Let’s try it for two weeks. You’ll be a base playmaker.’

“I told him to play two games without asking questions. Afterwards e told me: ‘I feel very comfortable here. I get the ball all the time.’ He found out how it worked. If I’d told him I was going to play him as a libero ahead of the defenders, he’d have run away terriffied. Calling him a base playmaker convinced him.”

Thanks Jasp for the post :star:

Nice read.

Ancelotti also doubted Pirlo's ability to pay as a deep-lying playmaker and Pirlo managed to get a lot of playing time in season 01/02 simply because Rui Costa was injured especially at the last part of the season. Ancelotti was still using Ambrosini as the main DM along with Gattuso. But during one of the pre-season friendlies (Trofeo Berlusconi 02 if not mistaken), Ambrosini wasn't available and Pirlo asked Ancelotti if he could fill in the role but also requested Gattuso to 'cover' him. Seeing no risk in the experiment, Ancelotti complied.

During the game Pirlo played briliantly, spraying passes left and right and more importantly he was able to play along with Rui Costa and Seedorf. The seeds of the 3 attacking midfielders started there. That game was also acknowledged by Ambrosini as the start of his diminishing role in Milan which prompted him to request transfer at the beginning of every seasons (some might remember this with certain irritation when he was appointed as captain after Maldini retired) before Ancelotti (out of desperation I might say) brought Ambrosini back to the squad for the 4-3-2-1 christmas tree formation which brought CL 07, UEFA Super Cup 07 and WWC tittles.

And when Pirlo was unavailable during several games in season 04/05 and 05/06, Rui Costa (due to decreased playing time after Kaka blossomed) asked Ancelotti if he could fill Pirlo's role. It didn't work out since Rui Costa's type of play isn't suitable.

Good points and Analysis :star:

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Season (2009-10) Gone By: A.C. Milan

With the exit of Maldini and Kaka in the summer before the start of the season 2009-10, this year was always going to be the year in which Milan starts its resurrection.

A new manager at the helm and in spite of an ageing squad coupled with injuries which engulfed most of its players, Milan ended a roller-coaster of a season without any silverware but a consolation direct entry into the next year’s UEFA Champions League. Here is a look at the ups and downs of the Italian club which shaped their season.

for the complete article, plz click on the link given below

http://www.thehardtackle.com/index.php/the-season-2009-10-gone-by-a-c-milan

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
From a purely selfish standpoint. I think 2005-6 was maybe my favorite season in terms of just entertainment value week in week out. Feel like milan won so many games 3-0, 4-1 etc...

End on 88 points and 28 wins, unforuntate to not win league

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf

Yeah I mean there is no denying he went to Xmas tree cause of lack of squad depth. But I kind of feel it was more than that....

-Teams were focusing on Pirlo making him more of a liability defensively than before
-Seedorf was less energetic defensively
-Back line wasn't as dominant physically

So he went to Xmas tree for more stability. I think end result was Carlo fell in love with concept of Kaka higher up in almost the sheva role (I mean he scored A LOT in 2007 UCL campaign). And thats why he didn't switch back

To be fair. Post 2007 Kaka never really excelled in CAM behind two strikers again. Whether it was lack of consistent run or simply Carlo was right kaka played better higher up, I'm not sure...

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
new-milan.jpg

this is the best squad of the decade and yet yet no place for a trophy sad epic sad season, when you have that squad you should make teams around the world shit in their pant.

they should not be given any hope, others should be demolished instead of it we became the greates joke and example in champions league, whenever a team is trailing by 2 goals their coach always say remember istanbul :mad:

i so want to rape alll the teams in the europe next season but it wont happen it wont happen, please give me that squad, i a nobody in football will make them squeal in their mamas lap.

fuck what a missed opportunity what a missed opportunity

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
this is the best squad of the decade and yet yet no place for a trophy sad epic sad season, when you have that squad you should make teams around the world shit in their pant.

they should not be given any hope, others should be demolished instead of it we became the greates joke and example in champions league, whenever a team is trailing by 2 goals their coach always say remember istanbul :mad:

i so want to rape alll the teams in the europe next season but it wont happen it wont happen, please give me that squad, i a nobody in football will make them squeal in their mamas lap.

fuck what a missed opportunity what a missed opportunity

Istambul was in 04/05. Actualy in 03/04 we lost in a even worst fashion to Deportivo La Coruña (we made 4 x 1 at home and them lost 4 x 0 in Spain). :cry:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Istambul was in 04/05. Actualy in 03/04 we lost in a even worst fashion to Deportivo La Coruña (we made 4 x 1 at home and them lost 4 x 0 in Spain). :cry:

fucking joke of a team and people say porto double was a joke

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
From a purely selfish standpoint. I think 2005-6 was maybe my favorite season in terms of just entertainment value week in week out. Feel like milan won so many games 3-0, 4-1 etc...

End on 88 points and 28 wins, unforuntate to not win league

sheva was on another level this year....spectacular.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Who passed to Kaka for the last goal?? Was it Dhorasoo?

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
THE May 28

THE May 28

05/28/2010 16:18:00

Today's: a double anniversary for the Rossoneri's unique history. At this time Milan have won two of the seven European Cups, which dominate in its attendees.

MILAN - May 28, 1969. On May 28, 2003. Not every two days. Definitely, something more, something super. In two different eras, two different Milan, two great achievements.

On May 28, 1969 AC Milan wins in Madrid against Ajax winning his second Champions League. AC Milan had already triumphed in 1963, the first Italian team to lift this trophy to the sky. Here's Milan Madrid (4-1 Ajax): Cudicini; Anquilletti, Schnellinger, Rosato, Malatrasi, Trapattoni, Hamrin, Lodetti, Sormani, Rivera, Prati. Coach: Nereo Rocco.

Thirty years later, another call the May 28 town called Milan, another legendary stadium. No longer the Bernabeu, but Old Trafford. Cruyff, Ajax opponent, but Juventus Buffon. E 'May 28, 2003: Dida, Costacurta (Roque Junior), Nesta, Maldini, Kaladze, Gattuso, Pirlo (Serginho), Seedorf, Rui Costa (Ambrosini), Inzaghi, Shevchenko. Coach: Carlo Ancelotti.

THE May 28 is a great piece of history :proud: :star:

dhorasoo

data haiku
Reaction score
Fav. Players
pirlo, kinkladze, baggio, foggia, baronio, dhorasoo, serginho, caracciolo, ronaldo, pep & corini
Sticky!

The guy who wrote it is obviously a Roma fan, i mean, two Roma squads before this one... seriously?

BTW, Mazzone is a hero and thank God the myth of Carlo putting Pirlo before the defence is once and for all cleared. It was all Mazzone! How the sh*t could Pirlo play behind the strikers? Baggio was playing in that team for God's sake!

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
2 day late congratulations on your anniversary, Gaizka. :)

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
this guy was the awesomest milan striker ever according to stats :eek:

if only i would learn something about him from some really old fans

Nordahl, together with the mentioned Gre-No-Li is today legendary in Milan, when Milan striker Andriy Shevchenko scored his 100 goal in Serie A for Milan it is said that the old Milanese supporters said: "Well he can double that number, and then add another 26, then, and just then, he has passed Il Canoniere."

:proud: :proud:

442 goals in 500 is just :eek: if we would have won enough in europe at that time he would be revered like al stefano of madrid

gunnar-nordahl.jpg

He didn’t have the long Milan career like others, but 210 goals in 257 appearances proves he must have been one special player back in this Swede’s day.

anything to watch him :cry:

rest in peace, master striker

When asked who is AC Milan’s all time leading goalscorer, most people will start to list many famous names that have worn the famous shirt of the Rossoneri, however when you take a look at the history books there is one name that stands out. Gunnar Nordhal, the Sweedish footballing legend spent 8 seasons with AC Milan and is their all time top scorer. The prolific Sweed bagged 210 league goals in 8 seasons, finishing leading league goal scorer in 5 of them. He is still the second-highest Serie A goalscorer of all time also with 225 goals in 291 matches.

A closer inspection of the history books would suggest that Gunnar Nordhal is one of the most dangerous strikers that Europe has ever seen. Surely a player with this sort of goal record would be worth £100 Million in todays money!!!

no he is priceless :proud:

Last edited:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gunnar Nordahl (October 19, 1921 - September 15, 1995) was a Swedish football player, who played most famously for AC Milan.

Nordahl started out at Degerfors in Sweden before moving to IFK Norrk�ping. He won four Swedish championships with Norrkoping and once scored seven goals in one game.

Nordahl was first called-up to the Swedish national team in 1945. In 1948, he helped Sweden to win the Olympic football tournament, becoming the tournament's top scorer on the way.

In his time playing in Sweden, Nordahl scored 149 goals in 172 games before being transferred to AC Milan. He arrived at Milan on January 22, 1949. Later, he would team up with his national team strike partners, Gunnar Gren and Nils Liedholm, all of them forming the well-known Gre-No-Li trio.

Nordahl's transfer to Milan meant he had to retire from the national team, since there were strict rules against professionals playing in the Swedish team at the time. So, overall, he scored 44 goals in just 30 matched for Sweden, which is very nearly 1.5 goals per game. In his eight seasons with AC Milan, he was Serie A's top-scorer five times. After leaving Milan, Nordahl played for Roma for two seasons.

Nordahl is AC Milan's all-time top-scorer, with 210 league goals. He is still the second-highest Serie A goalscorer of all time, with 225 goals in 291 matches. Only Silvio Piola has scored more goals in that division.

Nordahl still holds the record for scoring incredible 35 goals in one season (49-50) for AC Milan.

Thomas Nordahl, who is Gunnar's son, is a member of 1970 World Cup squad.

Such as his compatriots Gren and Liedholm Nordhal’s launch pad was the Olympic gold won with the Sweden National team in 1948 in London. With the Swedish jersey Nordhal played about ninety matches: the five goals scored on September 19 1948 during the derby against Norway were memorable. The terrific “fireman” (name-calling this way due to the fact he was a fireman in his country) became an A.C. Milan player on January 14 1949, on January 22 he arrived at the Milan station and on January 27 he made his debut during the match against Pro Patria. Nordhal played until the 1956 with the rossonero team and he won five times the title of best Serie A scorer: 35 goals in the ‘49/’50, 34 in the ‘50/’51, 26 in the ‘52/’53, 23 in the ‘53/’54 and 27 in the ‘54/’55. During the season 1956/1957 he joined AS Roma, he played for this team two years before ending his career as a football player. Gunnar Nordhal was one of the strongest forward ever and he became a symbol. With his 92 Kg of muscle power and his great kick he was able to beat every defender.

THE FIREMAN

http://www.acmilan.com/infopage.aspx?id=85349

nordahl_142402s.jpg

AC Milan 1949-56, 268 appearances, 221 goals
The 'No' in 'Gre-No-Li' was the only negative aspect of a player whose every waking thought revolved around scoring goals. Nordahl was already 27 when he joined Milan in 1949; seven years later he would retire as Milan's all-time leading scorer and he still remains the second-highest Serie A goalscorer ever. If they had ever made a film of his life, only Marlon Brando could be cast as the great Swede and if they tried to cast him today, no current actor could get close to conveying his physicality, power or ferocious single-mindedness.

Nordahl had the intensity of a Stanley Kowalski and the drive of a Terry Molloy but when it came to finishing he had a class all of his own. If William Ralph 'Dixie' Dean epitomised the ideal 1930s centre-forward, Nordahl was a mirror image but with 20 years refinement. Italy wouldn't see such startling power again until Milan went African via Paris to sign George Weah in 1995.

Gunnar Nordahl (1949-56) – With a quite incredible record of 210 goals in 257 games, Nordhal is not only the top goalscorer in Milan’s history, but also second highest in Serie A behind Silvio Piola. He finished Capocannonieri five times, won the Scudetti twice, while he also scored 33 goals in 43 games for the Swedish national team.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
He is the man :proud:

GUNNAR NORDAHL

Full Name: Gunnar Nordahl

Born: 19 October 1921 (Hörnefors, Sweden).
Died: 15 September 1995 (Alghero, Italy)

Nicknames: Störsten (the biggest), Il Pompiere (the fireman), Il Bisonte (the buffalo).

Position: Striker

Caps: Sweden (1942-1948) 33 / 43 goals

Domestic League Games:
Sweden - Level III (1937-1940) 41 / 68 goals
Sweden - Level I (1940-1949) 172 / 149 goals
Italy – Level I (1949-1958) 291 / 225 goals

Domestic Cup Games:
Sweden – Not available
(Coppa Italia not staged between 1944-1958)

Sweden’s Footballer of the Year:

Clubs:
Hörnefors (1937-1940)
Degerfors (1940-1944)
IFK Norrköping (1944-1949)
AC Milan (1949-1956)
AS Roma (1956-1958)
Karlstads BIK (1959-1961) – player/manager

Trophies won:
Olympics: 1948
Latin Cup: 1951, 1956
Swedish Championship: 1945, 1946, 1947, 1948
Swedish Cup: 1945
Italian Championship: 1951, 1955

Top goalscorer titles (number of goals):
Olympics – 1948 (7)
Swedish league – 1943 (14), 1945 (27), 1946 (25), 1948 (18)
Serie A – 1950 (35), 1951 (34), 1953 (26), 1954 (23), 1955 (27)

Gunnar Nordahl is arguably the finest player ever to come from the Nordic region and was Sweden’s first ever foreign based professional footballer. Raised in the tough northern parts of Sweden he was one of five football playing brothers – three of them, including Gunnar, also became national team players.

May be one can blame “bad timing of birth” for Nordahl not being able to shine on the biggest stages. He was too young to take part in any of the pre-WW II World Cups, too old to have any lasting impact on European club competitions and unlucky that Sweden’s football federation banned foreign based professionals at national team level when he could have been a valuable asset at both the 1950 and 1954 World Cups which coincided with his free-scoring Milan era. By 1958, when his home country hosted, pros were allowed back into the team, but Nordahl had just retired from top flight football by then. Instead he and his pro-colleagues had to settle for “proffslandslaget” – the national team for pros who played only against Swedish city teams.

Nordahl was strong, had speed and remarkable shooting power. He was a nightmare for defenders to deal with. He was knocking in goals for fun at senior level before his 17th birthday at his local club Hörnefors. The third level club was only the first step towards stardom for him. Top division football was the natural career move and it came in 1940 with Degerfors where the goals continued to go in with remarkable frequency. In 1942, Nordahl made his debut for Sweden against Denmark and scored in the 3-0 win in Copenhagen.

The following year he won his first of four topscorer titles in Allsvenskan (Sweden’s Premier League) and consolidated his place in the national team. He was to be first choice there until the end of the decade. In 1944 he signed for top club IFK Norrköping and went on to win the Swedish championship in every of the four full seasons he completed there – there was even a league and cup double the first year. That year also saw him score seven goals in a row in one match against Landskrona. That has never been done before or after in Swedish top league football.

Nordahl was to experience one of the highlights of his career with two of his brothers in the London Olympics 1948 when Sweden triumphed having beaten Austria (3-0), Korea (12-0), Denmark (4-2) and Yugoslavia in the final 3-1. Nordahl’s goal in the Final was spectacular. He received the ball in the centre-circle, shook off two opponents, played a neat one-two, got the ball back and blasted it into the top corner from about 20 yards. It was his seventh in the tournament which made him top scorer. (His goal comes one minute into this videofile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH9G6rfdOmc )

After the Olympics with a gold medal bagged, at the age of 27, Gunnar Nordahl felt he had achieved just about anything he could achieve as a player. There were certainly no more goals to fulfil in Sweden, so he thought about retiring and go back to work full time as a fire fighter. Instead there was an amazing turn-around of incidents. Gunnar Nordahl signed for AC Milan and was soon followed by two countrymen – Gunnar Gren and Nils Liedholm. Together they formed a formidable Swedish trio at Rossoneri known as Gre-No-Li.

Nordahl scored an amazing 35 goals in his first full season in Serie A - a record which still stands to this day. He scored another 34 the following year and by the time he had completed eight seasons at San Siro he had won two Serie A titles and knocked in 210 league goals which remains a club record, and his five topscorer titles in Serie A is a league record. His final season with Milan was the inaugural season of the European Cups. Milan reached the semifinals in the Champions Cup, but lost 5-4 on aggregate to eventual champions Real Madrid. More luck instead in the somewhat less prestigious Latin Cup where Milan triumphed in 1951 (Nordahl scored a hat-trick in the 5-0 win vs Lille in the final) and 1956 when Nordahl did not play in the final due to his departure to Roma.

Nordahl ended his Italian adventure with two quiet seasons in the eternal city before heading home to his wife’s hometown Karlstad in the lower leagues for a player-coach position. After 225 goals in 291 Serie A appearances, Nordahl is second only to Silvio Piola on the all-time topscorer’s list. The Italian player made several hundred more appearances though. In 2000, Nordahl was the only team sports athlete on the official top 10 list among Sweden’s best athletes of the last century. Nordahl is reputed to have scored 688 goals in total in his senior career.

League Statistics per Season

Season - Club - Games – Goals [ Caps / Goals ]
1937/38 Hörnefors (III).............14 / 20
1938/39 Hörnefors (III).............14 / 25
1939/40 Hörnefors (III).............13 / 23
1940/41 Degerfors...................17 / 15
1941/42 Degerfors...................21 / 13 [ 1 / 1 ]
1942/43 Degerfors...................20 / 14 [ 5 / 2 ]
1943/44 Degerfors...................19 / 14 [ 3 / 4 ]
1944/45 IFK Norrköping.............22 / 27 [ 2 / 2 ]
1945/46 IFK Norrköping.............21 / 25 [ 5 / 6 ]
1946/47 IFK Norrköping.............20 / 17 [ 4 / 8 ]
1947/48 IFK Norrköping.............22 / 18 [ 6 / 8 ]
1948/49 IFK Norrköping.............10 / 06 [ 7 /12]
1948/49 AC Milan.....................15 / 16
1949/50 AC Milan.....................37 / 35
1950/51 AC Milan.....................37 / 34
1951/52 AC Milan.....................38 / 26
1952/53 AC Milan.....................32 / 26
1953/54 AC Milan.....................33 / 23
1954/55 AC Milan.....................33 / 27
1955/56 AC Milan.....................32 / 23
1956/57 AS Roma.....................30 / 13
1957/58 AS Roma.....................04 / 02
1959-61 Karlstads BIK (II)..........N/A (player/manager)

European Cup Games

1955/56 AC Milan.......EC I.........06 / 04

some swedish forums ;)

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
gotg another legend

Karl-Heinz Schnellinger (1965-74) – Brilliant blonde-haired defender, who is perhaps most famous for scoring the last-minute equaliser in normal time for Germany in their 4-3 ‘match of the century’ semi-final defeat to Italy in the 1970 World Cup. In nine years at Milan he won one Scudetto, one European Cup, two Cup Winners’ Cups and three Coppa Italia’s.

will fins info about him later

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
4021754157_24291d4857.jpg

* Schnellinger was one of the world’s best defenders for a decade in the 1960’s.
* He participated in his first World Cup in Sweden at the young age of 19, and went on to become one of the few players to play in 4 World Cups where he made an impressive 17 appearances.
* He was renown for his physical power, pace, and his winning mentality (also his blond hair).
* His only international goal came in the last minute to draw 1-1 in the thrilling semi-final of the1970 World Cup against Italy, which later became known as the “Match of the Century”. Italy eventually won 4-3 after extra time.
* Schnellinger was one of Germany’s best ever players.
* He was the most successful German abroad where he had 11 successful seasons in Italy (1 season with AC Mantova, 1 with AS Roma and 9 with AC Milan).
* He won a German Bundesliga with FC Köln, an Italian Cup with AS Roma, and 8 trophies with AC Milan, the highlights being the Italian Serie A and the UEFA Champions League.
* 1962 was a great year for Schnellinger. He won the German Bundesliga and was awarded the West Germany Footballer of the Year, performed superb in the World Cup and was subsequently named in the World Cup Dream Team 11.
* During his career he was selected in 3 World 11’s and 4 Europe 11’s.

http://www.soccerslegends.com/legends/karl_heinz_schnellinger.htm

Karl-Heinz Schnellinger

Karl-Heinz Schnellinger (born March 31, 1939 in Düren) is a former German footballer.

A vigorous defender, Schnellinger played most of his career in Italy. His debut in the Serie A came in 1963, when Schnellinger left 1. FC Köln for A.C. Mantova. He made his Serie A debut for a match against A.C. Milan ended in a surprising 4-1 victory of A.C. Mantova; however he played there only for one season, and was signed by A.S. Roma in 1964, and finally by A.C. Milan in 1965. He played nine seasons with the "rossoneri", obtaining several successes both at the national and European level.

Schnellinger was a player for the West Germany national football team in the 1970 FIFA World Cup played in Mexico. Schnellinger, who never scored a goal in 222 matches for A.C. Milan, became famous for scoring the injury-time equaliser in the famous semi-final against Italy. His goal for 1-1 took the match into extra time, in which another five goals were scored. Although the Germans lost 4-3, the game is known in Germany as the "Jahrhundertspiel", the "Match of the Century".

Schnellinger left A.C. Milan in 1974, and retired after a season back in his native Germany with Tennis Borussia Berlin.

Today Schnellinger still lives in Milan, and he works as businessman.

http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/

The Rocco Years

Nereo Rocco bossed Milan from 1961-63 and 1967-73. An innovative Coach, who is famous for being one of the first proponents of the Catenaccio tactic, Rocco led Milan to two Scudetti in 1962 and 1968, two Champions League titles in 1963 and 1969, and an Intercontinental crown in 1969.

There were a plethora of legendary players during his era. Jose Altafini scored 120 goals in 205 appearances for the Rossoneri and is regarded by many as the greatest Brazilian ever to play in Serie A.

The original Golden Boy, Gianni Rivera, was at Milan for an incredible 19 years and his magnificent display in the 4-1 European Cup Final victory over Ajax in 1969 helped him win the Ballon d’Or in that year.

Other greats include Giovanni Trapattoni, who Pele once said was the most difficult defender he had ever played against, the German Karl-Heinz Schnellinger, and another Brazilian, Angelo Sormani.

cant get much on this man, if some german guys can chip in.
oh not the ones who hate great german/football legends

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
A night to remember – United v AC Milan 1969
Posted on 08 March 2010
Tags: AC Milan, Bobby Charlton, Denis Law, George Best, Manchester United, Nobby Stiles, Old Trafford, Pat Crerand, San Siro, Sir Alex Ferguson, Sir Matt Busby

lawnogoal1-300x179.jpg

When Sir Alex Ferguson’s troops step out at Old Trafford on Wednesday night the memories of 1969 will come flooding back for United legend Denis Law and for anyone who was there on a dramatic night more than 40 years ago.

Law will remember his two battles with AC Milan, the claustrophobic marking and an injustice that still rankles – Manchester United have an old score to settle. History is everywhere at United as the striker who scored 237 goals in 409 red appearances walked through the club’s Carrington training centre, slightly inhibited by a recent knee operation which finally rectified the damage that forced him to miss the 1968 European Cup final.

Absence from those Wembley festivities simply intensified his desire for glory the following season. He turns 70 next week but Law recalls the controversy of 1969 as if it were yesterday. Drawn against Milan in the semis, Busby’s team felt they were cheated out of Europe.

Milan were a good team, with Fabio Cudicini in goal and boasting such outfield luminaries as Karl-Heinz Schnellinger, Giovanni Trapattoni and Gianni Rivera. With the Italians shielding a 2-0 edge, nefarious acts infected the second leg, intensifying after Bobby Charlton pulled a goal back. Law kept telling his marker, Roberto Rosato, an old Torino colleague, to desist his shirt pulling and sly digs. Lacking protection from the referee, Law turned pugilist, dislodging a couple of Rosato’s teeth.

Seeking more legitimate means to punish Milan, Law shot goalwards. United started celebrating convinced the ball had crossed the line before being hooked out. “As you get older it goes to two yards over!” smiled Law. “You tend to exaggerate when you recall incidents but it was at least two feet over the line, definitely two feet over” Law’s mood turned serious “The referee and his linesmen probably were the only people who didn’t see the ball going over”

Having been beaten 0-2 in the 1st leg at the San Siro that decision denied the aggregate score from becoming tied at 2-2 after Charlton managed to pull one back in the 70th minute. Subsequent investigations revealed a culture of suspect decisions in games involving Italian teams in Europe although nothing was proven in the United-AC Milan fixture. “There appeared to be question marks” sighed Law ” always seemed to be a bit of a problem with Italian teams, it was frustrating.”

“When I missed the European Cup final the year before I thought we’ll go on and win it again because we were so good”. Bowing out of Europe began bringing the curtain down on Busby’s famous team “The question began to be asked whether we were past it. Had we won it would have been remembered as the great team that it was. “Playing alongside George, Bobby, Pat Crerand and Nobby Stiles was easy because they were great players. If I was having a bad day Bestie would be on his game and score. George was brave, good in the air, an immaculate player. If Bestie was off his game, Bobby would be on his game and score. If Bobby was off, I might nick one.”

Law sees echoes of Busby in Ferguson “Absolutely, in everything, in their passion for the game. Sir Matt was a very jovial man but if you crossed the line there would be a reprimand. Alex is exactly the same, he’ll be tolerant but then come down hard. They come from that part of Scotland, around Glasgow, as Bill Shankly and Jock Stein. They all had a passion to win. I was fortunate to play under Shanks at Huddersfield in 1956. Those four would always say ‘People have paid good money to come to the game and you have to do your best.”

Perhaps the final word should belong to a fan who was there on the night “Bobby Charlton gave us much hope when he made it 1-0 and my ever lasting memory is of how the whole 63,000 crowd then tried to shout United home. The noise created was above and beyond anything I have heard before or since, just an absolute deafening crescendo of United, United.”

“The atmosphere certainly rocked the Italians who in many people’s opinions conceded a second goal to Denis the King. The officials didn’t agree with us on the Stretford End that the ball had crossed the line before a hasty Milan clearance. We went out on aggregate but it was still a fantastic night”

SEMI FINAL – 2nd Leg, Old Trafford
15 May 1969, Manchester United vs AC Milan 1-0
Scorer: Charlton 70mts

MANCHESTER UNITED: Rimmer, Brennan, Burns, Crerand, Foulkes, Stiles, Morgan, Kidd, Charlton, Law, Best

AC MILAN: Cudicini, Anquilletti, Schnellinger, Rosato I (46′ Santin), Malatrasi, Maldera I, Hamrin, Lodetti, Sormani, Rivera, Prati

http://www.trulyreds.com/20100308/a-night-to-remember-united-v-ac-milan-1969/

its praising manure but piece of history is history, biased as fuck but i cant find more of that guy

Last edited:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dark years of milan berlusca pulled out of one
The Dark Years - Part One

After their Scudetto success in 1907, Milan then went more than 40 years without winning another league title. During this time the best performances were two third place finishes.

The inter-war years are recognised as one of two dark periods for Milan, the other being during the early 1980s when the club was twice relegated to Serie B.

In 1938 Benito Mussolin’s fascist regime gave the club a new name, Associazione Calcio Milano. After World War Two, the last letter was dropped off Milano, to create the name that is present today, Associazione Calcio Milan.

The Dark Years - Part Two

Milan continued to be successful until the mid-70s, winning a European Cup Winners Cup and three Coppa Italias.

However what they really wanted was their 10th Scudetto and they had to endure over a decade of misery before finally obtaining the first star on the red-and-black jersey in 1979. The legendary Rivera retired after this triumph but bad things were just around the corner.

In 1980 Milan were relegated to Serie B as a result of the Totonero betting scandal. Although the Rossoneri gained immediate promotion, they would then have to suffer the humiliation of being relegated once again in 1982, after a disastrous season.

entirely from goal.com
then that blip in late 1990s and now.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Berlu's bid for Donadoni is epic. :star:
So proud of my avatar :proud:
haha me tooo esp the godfather esque dialogue :D

Berlusconi >> everything :proud:

Here's another great anecdote, it goes back to the beginning of the Berlusconi era, in the summer of 1986. In one coup, Berlusconi signed Giovanni Galli and Giuseppe “Nanu” Galderisi, two pillars of La Squadra Azzura of the mid 80’s, plus Daniele Massaro, the defender, Dario Bonetti and the little jewel of Atalanta, Roberto Donadoni. On the last purchase of Donadoni, there’s a legend that people in Milano are still talking about how Berlusconi secured his services. The Atalanta club had and still has a very healthy relationships with Juve, for which Atalanta has allowed Juve to get the following players such Sciera, Cabrini, Fanna, Prandelli, Marocchino but also Solda, Pacione, Magrin, Mirkovic, Vieri and Montero lately. But Berlusconi was in love with Donadoni’s style, and he believed Donadoni to be” the only Italian player able to illuminate the San Siro”.

Here’s how Berlusconi beat all the odds and Juve’s great relationship with Atalanta. Donadoni was on the verge of signing for Juve. That was the very first coup that made it clear that Berlusconi was “one who gets whatever he wants and that even mighty Juve couldn’t resist”. During a high-class party, in his luxurious palace of Arcore, he invited the two Bortolotti, Achille Bortolotti, the father and Cesare the son, the two bosses of Atalanta. In that party, Berlusconi didn’t receive the Atalanta supremos as in a formal way: he received them while wearing his tracking field suit. He had also invited some of his most beautiful ladies from his TV station Italia 1. The wine was flowing freely and the ladies were beautiful and the atmosphere great. To make a long story short, at the end of the party, Berlusconi went to see Bortolotti senior, and gave him a blank cheque, telling him with a large smile: “This is for Donadoni, you name your price”. The Bortolotti were simply puzzled, and that is to put it very mildly.

After this high class evening, the next day, the Bortolotti called a press conference telling about Donadoni’s sale to Milan, in a very enthusiastic tone: “We have never ever encountered anyone like Berlusconi! He has a force, energy extraordinary. And how about the numerous gorgeous ladies…”. He went on to say: “He just made us an offer we simply could not refuse.” Juve had to simply give up on Donadoni and Berlusconi's charisma…then the legend started.

Schedule