Indian football thread

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Final ended in heartbreak. Kerala dominated from start to finish with just the goal missing. And Kolkata score from a corner in the 94th minute. Typically brutal way of football hope crushing.

But one would have never expected us to reach the final the way we started.

Iain Hume got the best player award, deservedly.

Great tournament overall. Looking forward to most of these players coming back next season and naturally, even more quality foreigners. But mainly I hope that most of the teams remain unchanged because it'll be weird if it turns out to be an entirely different set of players for every club next season.. I want Hume, Pearson, Hengbart, Pulga and co to definitely stay in Kerala.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Three guys stood out..

Sandesh Jhingan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandesh_Jhingan Real quality fullback. Fit to play in a middling European league (I hope he gets exposure quickly).. Energetic, technically sound. Voted most promising Indian player of the tournament. Won by a huge margin really.

Romeo Fernandes.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_Fernandes Nice dribbler. But not sure how effective he could be at a higher level. There are plenty of players like him across the world. But today there's news that Atletico Paranaense wants to sign him.

T. P. Rehenesh. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rehenesh_TP Pretty solid goalkeeper.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Comparison would be Serie B. Kramaric would score a goal a game I suppose. Torres would fail - defending standards are rather good. Offensive standards are so-so.

this has to be a troll

I guess A-league, saudi league, U.A.E league etc. are CL level leagues.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Torres would fail in all of those leagues I'd think.

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
Three guys stood out..

Sandesh Jhingan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandesh_Jhingan Real quality fullback. Fit to play in a middling European league (I hope he gets exposure quickly).. Energetic, technically sound. Voted most promising Indian player of the tournament. Won by a huge margin really.

Romeo Fernandes.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_Fernandes Nice dribbler. But not sure how effective he could be at a higher level. There are plenty of players like him across the world. But today there's news that Atletico Paranaense wants to sign him.

T. P. Rehenesh. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rehenesh_TP Pretty solid goalkeeper.
Hmm I don't recall any of them playing for the Indian NT. Good signs for you I suppose.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yes, strongly positive signs. But this would need to be sustained over the next decade at least to imagine us doing something like qualifying for a World Cup. Good part is that Sepp knows there's a lot of money to be made from India.

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
Very positive signs in Maldivian football as well right now. The hugely unpopular and obviously corrupt former FA staff has been removed from power and a FIFA appointed "normalisation committee" has been installed to take over temporarily and is already making real progress.

Announced literally just now, the current league has been rebranded into a Premier League :-)lol:) sponsored by Qatar :eek: :thumbsup:

Clubs are being forced to become more professional as well. So happy.

EDIT: The Japanese FA has agreed to become our national team sponsor. I have no idea what's happening :lol:

With Afghanistan making great strides, and Sri Lanka as well (kind of... they're building stadiums at least), I think the future is pretty bright for sub continental football.

Last edited:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yeah.. South Asia had to eventually hop on the bandwagon. Football is such a cheap sport to play that it quickly builds up fans. All these countries really need are 2-3 genuine heroes to follow.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
John Arne Riise joins Kerala. Kolkata buys Hume from us.

b@D~HorsiE

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tendulkar, Maldini, Damon Hill, Gattuso, Leander Paes, Jim Courier, LT.
Guam's entire population cannot fill two Salt Lake Stadiums and they are leading India at HT by 1-0 in the WC qualifier. What the fuck!

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kerala Blasters sign Carlos Marchena as the marquee player. I've always been a fan. Looking forward to the games!

Lord Snow

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko
India might have real biggie on our hands soon. Bodo is from Assam and has been training with FC Metz recently, along with a couple of really talented players from India. Most of them are U18 and will be playing in the U17 World Cup here next year.
Check Him out :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XG_HylUx7U

b@D~HorsiE

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alright, let's revive this thread.
India will be hosting the U-17 Men's world cup in 2017, let's get folks here involved in this.

b@D~HorsiE

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Meanwhile, Kerala Blasters have signed by fav English Coach Steve Coppell.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Hopefully won't finish bottom again.

b@D~HorsiE

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
India retained their rank of 100 in FIFA rankings (_:

Defeated Nepal 2-0 in a friendly yesterday.

We got U-17 WC happening in India this yea, boys :D

masterofnaiads

Drummer Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Zidane, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Rivaldo, Kaka, Forlan, Cocu, Riquelme, Cafu
India scored our 1st goal in a FIFA World Cup Event.. Jeakson scored against Columbia in the 2nd group stage match of the U-17 FIFA World Cup in Delhi! :D :D :love: :love: :love: