Gianluigi Donnarumma Thread

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you did, you might not have said "predestinato" for Cristante but you were full of praise for him even when he hadn't still hatched.

There's a difference between getting offers and playing if you were there.

Nobody wanted Bonera but he ended up at Villareal playing in the CL.

Teams might not want to buy him, but if he were there, I trust 100% that he'd start for like 10 of the teams in the league.

No team bought Dida either but he had a long career after going back to Brazil.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say because the examples you chose are pretty bad. Bonera is not 38 years old, and despite what everybody says, it's a decent backup for when shit hits the fan especially considering that he can cover both fullback and central defender positions and has plenty of experience. Even like that, he's the least used defender from Villareal.

Dida wanted to play in Europe but nobody wanted him, in fact iirc he stayed more than one year unemployed as a free agent before going back to Brazil and playing 2-3 more years. Let's not compare Brazilian championship with Serie A, though if it makes you feel good, yes probably both Abbiati and Donnaruma would be able to find a team to play in Brazil

I don't understand what you mean if Abbiati "were there"? If he had a contract and the club was forced to play him? If he pulled rank? We're talking about he currently can offer and whether a small club would hire him based on those qualities. You say that Abbiati would start for like 10 teams in Serie A.

Do you know how many teams in Serie A have a GK at Abbiati's age? Only 2, Juventus and Chievo... the rest of them have way younger GK-s. Look at their GK-s and think for a moment on whether Abbiati would really be a better choice for these teams than their current GK. It makes no sense for these clubs to have as a starter an old GK who can get injured at a moment's notice and then spend a big part of the season trying to find his form instead of giving continuity to a younger GK.

The GK-s that are able to play at 38 years old in a competitive league as starters can probably be counted with the fingers of one hand. I know Premier League has no GK-s that old that are starters.

ikita

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Ricardo Kaka, Alessandro Nesta
My point is we can say that Donnaruma is a great GK, all I say is that from what he's shown so far, the GK position is currently our weakest spot in the starting 11.
To those that say that we've won three games with him on the field, I say that we've won two champions league with Dario Simic, but that doesn't make him a great player.

if we lost those two CL games, how certain would you be, that it would have been entirely Simic's fault, thus "identifying" him as the weakest player in those?

surely, you must understand that football is a team game. and our weakest players, our flaws, are exposed when the team do not play as a team.

what does it matter if donnarumma is our least experienced player? if lopez plays and the team as a whole do not play the brand of football necessary to beat the opponent, does lopez become the weakest player?

would it even matter who was the weakest player at that point?

i dont believe so, because the team as a unit is failing. if donnarumma had dummied that ball and instead of romagnoli picking it up, it was an opponent who then went on to score, surely everyone would be eating him up in his thread because by and large it was a most risky play. credit to donnarumma and romagnoli for being aware of each other's position because they are playing as a team. get it? TEAM.

unnecessary argument about a most prodigious talent.

can we instead talk about how tall he is. because the dude is fucking tall and that would be a much more interesting conversation.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I'm pretty sure you did, you might not have said "predestinato" for Cristante but you were full of praise for him even when he hadn't still hatched..

Yeah I did not call him a predestinato, so you were bluffing in the previous post.

I would have praised him after a good performance and I clearly remember mocking those who were torn to bits when we sold him.

Cristante was a decent youth prospect. Donnarumma is a predestinato. Very different things.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
I'm pretty sure you did, you might not have said "predestinato" for Cristante but you were full of praise for him even when he hadn't still hatched.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say because the examples you chose are pretty bad. Bonera is not 38 years old, and despite what everybody says, it's a decent backup for when shit hits the fan especially considering that he can cover both fullback and central defender positions and has plenty of experience. Even like that, he's the least used defender from Villareal.

Dida wanted to play in Europe but nobody wanted him, in fact iirc he stayed more than one year unemployed as a free agent before going back to Brazil and playing 2-3 more years. Let's not compare Brazilian championship with Serie A, though if it makes you feel good, yes probably both Abbiati and Donnaruma would be able to find a team to play in Brazil

I don't understand what you mean if Abbiati "were there"? If he had a contract and the club was forced to play him? If he pulled rank? We're talking about he currently can offer and whether a small club would hire him based on those qualities. You say that Abbiati would start for like 10 teams in Serie A.

Do you know how many teams in Serie A have a GK at Abbiati's age? Only 2, Juventus and Chievo... the rest of them have way younger GK-s. Look at their GK-s and think for a moment on whether Abbiati would really be a better choice for these teams than their current GK. It makes no sense for these clubs to have as a starter an old GK who can get injured at a moment's notice and then spend a big part of the season trying to find his form instead of giving continuity to a younger GK.

The GK-s that are able to play at 38 years old in a competitive league as starters can probably be counted with the fingers of one hand. I know Premier League has no GK-s that old that are starters.

Do you just not understand what I'm saying.

If you were, at the start of this season, to simply move Abbiati into other Serie A teams, with no other change, he'd be starting for like at least 10 of them. They don't need to buy him, they don't need to think up a contract, they don't need to have an intention to purchase him, simply if he were there.

We're talking about a league where a few years ago Lazio played Marco Balotta, a 41 year old, in the league and CL.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
Do you just not understand what I'm saying.

If you were, at the start of this season, to simply move Abbiati into other Serie A teams, with no other change, he'd be starting for like at least 10 of them. They don't need to buy him, they don't need to think up a contract, they don't need to have an intention to purchase him, simply if he were there.

We're talking about a league where a few years ago Lazio played Marco Balotta, a 41 year old, in the league and CL.

Apparently I don't understand, because what I"m saying is that if Abbiati were to leave on a free transfer at the beginning of this season, you'd be hard-pressed to find 2 Serie A teams that would offer him a contract as a starting GK. I don't get "if he were there", he's not gonna magically appear in another squad. Isn't transfer market what identifies whether a player is valuable or not. Ambrosini left and Fiorentina snatched him up for a season.

You're talking about Ballotta as if he's a common example, he's the exception to have no injuries at that age. Let's not forget that he was supposed to be the second GK (first to Peruzzi who retired at 37, then to Muslera). Either way I'm sure I'm talking out of my ass, and that Abbiati will retire when he's 41 years old. Ballotta did it, why not Abbiati.

Last edited:

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
You're not understanding my hypothetical.

There is a big difference between signing a 38 year old and playing one.

When Costacurta was 40, would many teams have signed him on a free? No Would he have played for more than would have signed him? Yes.

Abbiati wouldn't have many teams sign him, but if he was 'magically' placed into their squads, he'd be the first choice keeper for like 10 Serie A sides.

Do you get what I mean?

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
Yeah I did not call him a predestinato, so you were bluffing in the previous post.

I would have praised him after a good performance and I clearly remember mocking those who were torn to bits when we sold him.

Cristante was a decent youth prospect. Donnarumma is a predestinato. Very different things.

How do you know that :lol:? Is it because Galliani told you so?

Oh, and I"m sure you used a lot more superlative terms to describe Cristante than "decent".

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
Boss

Our second clean sheet in 3 games.

10 points from the 4 games he has started.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
MOTM today, too bad the rest of the team played like shit and left him on his own. If this game was against Napoli instead of Atalanta, we'd be looking at another heavy defeat.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Official: Gianluigi Donnarumma

Wowww the hype is real. Absolutely amazing.
Wasn't expecting him to be that good actually

SuperP

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
He can be the very best if he continues like this. He is only 16 and showing this much character and skill, it's insane.

romlakers

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fabulous. He is the future best goalkeeper in the world.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
Respect. You earned it. Was completely wrong about him. Much much better than the current error prone version of d.lopez.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
He can be the very best if he continues like this. He is only 16 and showing this much character and skill, it's insane.

I love his willingness to pass the ball. Also takes no risk when the ball is thrown into the box. He will go to claim it one way or another, and not just stay on his line.

A lot of people will look for the negatives in the result... but this was a huge confidence booster for Donna.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
Amazing. But he did make that one terrible pass which landed straight onto the opposition player's foot. But i reckon he was bored and infuriated, hence, he just wildly smacked the ball across the pitch without looking for a target. Immense talent though. 16 years old

SuperP

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Diego Lopez makes those shitty passes on a regular bases. He even made them last year, Gigi only hit it badly once all game and even then i've seen much worse from many WC keepers.

Milanista_7

#UCLDNA
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, T.Silva, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Romagnoli
Legend in the making :thumbsup: :proud:

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
Fantastic today. The one bright spot for us.

Romagnely

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Kaka, Sheva, Seedorf, Inzaghi, Cafu, Gattuso, Ibra, Bennacer, Tomori

irkuysm

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Would you sell this boy in order to fund a money to bring a wc midfielder in the future?

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Not even for good price. We need good core to build for the future. Maybe for insane offers though.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Would you sell this boy in order to fund a money to bring a wc midfielder in the future?

I love the kid.... want him to stay here for life .... BUT the club comes first. if someone offers us 80M+ pound sterling then we can open negotiations. Otherwise they can ...

But in truth I don't really want to sell him. GK spot is too important. I want him to win a few UCLs with us first.

Last edited:

Schedule