Cristiano Ronaldo Thread

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
manutd fan said:
No, Ronaldo is one of our prized assets, why should we sell him? Our entire system is built around Ronaldo, we have just won the double, so why should we sell a key player who has 4 years left on his contract.

Plus if we just sell to Madrid after all the tactics they've tried then they will just do it again in a few years when the likes of Nani and Anderson reach higher levels.

We're not a selling club at all, If Kaka had said he wanted to join Barcelona, and they bid for him I doubt you'd sell him willingly.

I don't see how preventing a key player to move is showing your a small club at all. If it was the other way around and we sold him to Madrid then what kind of message does that send out? "we are the champions of europe but if any other big club wants one of our best players you can have them" :rolleyes:

TBH If I was Fergie then I'd get on the Phone to Laporta and say 40M and he's yours. That'll piss Madrid off like hell. And we know Barca are interested aswell, plus Ronaldo has said in the past Barca 'make him dream'.
menon_inc said:
Nope they should not sell him for a couple of reasons:

1.) They don't need the money.
2.) When Milan sold Sheva, it seem to give everyone an impression that we are a selling club and a lot of clubs started bidding for our other players like Kaka, Rino, Pirlo, etc. Its one of the reasons we were forced to renegotiate Kaka's deal a couple of times.
3.) It might influence other players at the club to do the same thing in the future (Nani and Anderson).
4.) It will give Real Madrid the impression that they are above everyone and can sign anyone at will.
5. Clowndoron has said a couple of times that he will only pay 5-10 million more than the sum he paid for Zidane which is ridiculous considering Ronaldo is much younger+has the potential to be a better marketing asset.
6.) Silvio's son likes him :D
Am not disagreeing about what u r both sayin.
Am talkin that a big club shouldnt keep a player who wanna join another.
ManU would look like a selling club if they were willing 2 sell CR7 without his desire.
But here u have a player who wanna join another & thats an enoug reason 4 a big club 2 sell him + ask big money 4 him.
The message they will sent wouldnt b "we r weak , come buy our players" but rather "either u r honored 2 play with us or else fuck off if any1 is willing 2 pay the price we want"

ezekiel2517

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I lost the list.
if he goes i bet the Manure/CR7 butt-fans will be forced to split and become less of a nuisance, what could possibly be wrong about that? :tongue:

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
English Essay: Enough Of The Ronaldo Bashing said:
I know it is fun for football fans to hate a player for no reason but it seems that this current Ronaldo Saga is turning into a witch-hunt where the guy can do no right.

Allow me to present the most common accusations aimed at the Madeira born winger.

• He is overrated.....Kaka and Messi are way better players.
• He isn't a leader/He disappears when it matters most

• He is turning his back on Man Utd after all the club did for him.
• My personal favourite: He is a coward for not handing in a transfer request.

Before I begin my analysis, I must say that I am no great fan of Ronaldo but jealousy, envy or sheer prejudice are no criteria for judgement, and if we are going to judge Ronaldo as a footballer and later as a person, it is impossible to refute the facts.

The Facts:

• 181 shots, 109 shots on goal, 31 goals, 7 assists (from 31 Premier League starts)
• 42 goals in all competitions (new club record for a midfielder)
• 65% free kick accuracy – 5 goals (best in the Premier League)

I'm fully aware that these stats cannot stand by themselves but please allow me to dig deeper. On twenty occasions, Ronaldo got the all important first goal. Any football fan knows the importance of the first break-through but I know you are going to argue that these twenty goals may not have resulted in a win but wait! In more than 15 matches, Ronaldo's goals were the difference between a win and a draw/defeat.

I can testify that I watched every single Man Utd game except for the derby defeats to Man City and the draw with Arsenal at the Emirates. Ronaldo was the single most important player in the Man Utd's double-winning season and only the contribution of Rio Ferdinand can even come close. As a footballer, Ronaldo simply was in a class of his own last season. Not even Kaka or Messi should enter the debate.

Now to delve into the gray era: Ronaldo's character. Many football followers have been saying that Ronaldo is turning his back on Man Utd. This statement shows a total misunderstanding of the situation. From the time Ronaldo arrived at Man Utd, it was perfectly clear that he dreamt of playing in Spain. It seems that people think that just because he is successful at Man Utd, he should just give up on his dream and become the next Giggs/Scholes. It is simply unreasonable. A Portuguese player will almost always rate La Liga as his greatest goal. After 5 seasons, in which he has won EVERY SINGLE TROPHY he could possibly win with the club, is it really ludicrous for him to consider a move?

The final stick most people use to assault Ronaldo is that he is a coward for not making his feelings clear and submitting a transfer request. As a true Man Utd fan, I could not be happier with the way Ronaldo is handling his situation. I know you are wondering if I'm crazy but let me explain. For the entire summer, Ronaldo has just given three interviews in which he has deferred the final decision to his club and despite his ambitions has stated that he will be happy to go back to United and perform as before if asked to. Furthermore, the football transfer market works like all commodities markets around the world and prices are controlled by numerous social and economic factors. Right now, Ronaldo has a price tag in excess of fifty millions pounds on his head. Now let's propose that Ronaldo goes to the media and says that he will refuse to play for Man Utd again, like a certain Michael Essien is famous for doing in his transfer saga, then I assure you his price would drop. We could speculate about how much it would drop but it is certain that there would be a reduction.

Recently, people have been bemused by Ronaldo's proclamation that he is a slave. I'm prepared to wager that most people have never actually seen the interview. It is my honour to present the extract:

"You know what I said, what I want and what I would like. I agree with the president of FIFA. Now I have to wait and see but I do not know where I will start the season"

I know the word slave is what caught everyone in Mr.Blatter's interview but did no one realize his main point was that Man Utd should sell. Has anyone even considered that Ronaldo just agrees that he should be allowed to leave? If he really thought he was a slave then why wouldn't he use the word slave in the interview?

I am pretty sure this article will not change the opinion you hold of Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro but at least you can now say you hate him after knowing all the facts.
:star:
My favorite part : free kick stats.
LOL @ Pirlo's fan club laughing @ Ronaldo's free kick ability.
How about some Pirlo stats ? :D

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
while that guy made some good points, he is clearly missing a lot aswell.

Firstly, 90% of manutd are not saying he is overrated or anything like that, most consider him the best in the world, and no one says he hides in games, this is what most opposition fans say (despite the fact that he's probably scored vs there team)

And again, no one has a problem with the fact that he wants to go to Madrid, we always knew he'd want to go eventually, but in his interviews he has said things like 'the fans don't bother me, I'll score and they'll cheer me' - hardly the statements of someone who hasn't said anything wrong.

That guy claims he watched every match bar 2, and while he probably did I can't believe he said Ronaldo's performances were the best in our team. If anyone on here has watched Manutd more than a few times then they'll agree with me that there have been lots of matches where he has been poor, but he pops up with a goal or 2 and suddenly put in an 'incredibly performance'.

If you want to talk about performance then Rio, Vidic, Evra, Rooney and Carrick were all 'better' in terms of performances, its just Ronaldo popped up with the goods.

No one mentions the amount of 'easy' goals he scored where his teammates did the donkey work. Without Rooney, tevez and Anderson Ronaldo would not have had half as good a season.

About the free kicks, its amazing how much they'd improved. He's been taking them for 3 or so years, and in the first 2 season his success rate was something like 1 in 50, most of which ended up in row z, these days he nearly always gets in on target which either results in a goal or a corner. Hargreaves is also very good, he took about 8 last season, scored twice, hit the bar once, had two saved brilliantly and only 1 or 2 went wide.

Centre

Milan Icon
Reaction score
are those free kick stats accurate?... seems like an inflated percentage.

i guess it just means on goal?

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
CentreD13 said:
are those free kick stats accurate?... seems like an inflated percentage.

i guess it just means on goal?

I think there the stats of free kick on target, not free kicks that went in.

Anyway, here's his free kicks last season, the first free kick is from 06/07 but the rest is from 07/08:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Gra2NMuqE

David-Regal

Maldini groupie
Reaction score
Hong Kong/ University of Southern California
Fav. Players
PAOLO MALDINI, Alexandre Pato, and all Milan players; Luque, C. Ronaldo, Grosso
manutd fan said:
while that guy made some good points, he is clearly missing a lot aswell.

Firstly, 90% of manutd are not saying he is overrated or anything like that, most consider him the best in the world, and no one says he hides in games, this is what most opposition fans say (despite the fact that he's probably scored vs there team)

And again, no one has a problem with the fact that he wants to go to Madrid, we always knew he'd want to go eventually, but in his interviews he has said things like 'the fans don't bother me, I'll score and they'll cheer me' - hardly the statements of someone who hasn't said anything wrong.

That guy claims he watched every match bar 2, and while he probably did I can't believe he said Ronaldo's performances were the best in our team. If anyone on here has watched Manutd more than a few times then they'll agree with me that there have been lots of matches where he has been poor, but he pops up with a goal or 2 and suddenly put in an 'incredibly performance'.

If you want to talk about performance then Rio, Vidic, Evra, Rooney and Carrick were all 'better' in terms of performances, its just Ronaldo popped up with the goods.

No one mentions the amount of 'easy' goals he scored where his teammates did the donkey work. Without Rooney, tevez and Anderson Ronaldo would not have had half as good a season.

About the free kicks, its amazing how much they'd improved. He's been taking them for 3 or so years, and in the first 2 season his success rate was something like 1 in 50, most of which ended up in row z, these days he nearly always gets in on target which either results in a goal or a corner. Hargreaves is also very good, he took about 8 last season, scored twice, hit the bar once, had two saved brilliantly and only 1 or 2 went wide.
remember the 1-0 vs derby home game? 1,2,3,4,5 (poor game for him)

for those who don't know what happened. He missed a lot of chances that game and finally scored one.

ecI

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Van Basten, Pippo, Nesta, Baresi, C. Vela, Kaka, Ochoa, Antonini, Pato, T. Silva
That's one lame celebration.

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Ba, Silva
links between ManU and Berbaov are getting hotter....guess CR7 is really going!!

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
David-Regal said:
remember the 1-0 vs derby home game? 1,2,3,4,5 (poor game for him)

for those who don't know what happened. He missed a lot of chances that game and finally scored one.
Yeh, god did I get some stick from my Liverpool mates after that match :head: Although that was the match most utd fans knew that Ben Foster will be our No 1, within the next year and probably be one of the best in Europe.

drucurl said:
links between ManU and Berbaov are getting hotter....guess CR7 is really going!!
No we're getting Berbatov regardless of what happens with Ronaldo, we tried to get him when he was at Leverkusen(sp?) and then tried twice while he was at spurs, Fergie nearly always gets his long term targets in the end. the rumours are that when Ronaldo leaves we will try and get Aguero to replace him and change our style slightly.

But I am am 100% sure he will be with us at the start of the season (although he's injured until mid October.)

I wouldn't be suprised if he was still with us for 2 more seasons and sell him when he's got 2 years remaining.

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
manutd fan said:
No we're getting Berbatov regardless of what happens with Ronaldo, we tried to get him when he was at Leverkusen(sp?) and then tried twice while he was at spurs, Fergie nearly always gets his long term targets in the end. the rumours are that when Ronaldo leaves we will try and get Aguero :eek: to replace him and change our style slightly..
wth.gif
Aguero?? how come ManUtd always gets ALL the best toys these days
depressed.gif

bani

Primavera
Reaction score
drucurl said:
wth.gif
Aguero?? how come ManUtd always gets ALL the best toys these days
depressed.gif

propably gonna use all that money RM pays them for ronaldo

Pirlo Fan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Gattuso, Kaka, Nesta, Fabregas, Cannavaro, Buffon, Ribery, Berbatov
Wild said:
:star:
My favorite part : free kick stats.
LOL @ Pirlo's fan club laughing @ Ronaldo's free kick ability.
How about some Pirlo stats ? :D

Wild...where did you get that from :rolleyes:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
so some sort of 4-3-3 with kun aguero, berbatov, rooney, tevez, nani, giggs, park.... and then scholes, anderson, carrick, hargreaves at cm... perhaps they'll swap nani for brocchi as they need more central midfield help

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo Fan said:
Wild...where did you get that from :rolleyes:
http://soccereditorial.blogspot.com
My bad , dont tell the other brothers about this :D

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roy Keane Advises CR7 to Piss off Fergie

The article is in goal.com. I agree with a lot of what he said but I think that a club legend like Roy Keane should temper his statements. I don't think he ever got along with Cristiano nor does he like him or give a shit what happens to him in the future. He is simply still mad at Fergie at his exit and knows that Sunderland and all other premiership teams have a better chance to get a favourable result without him.

It's a bit classless to hit Fergie when he's down this way.......He needs to understand that not everybody can be AC Milan and that Fergie has to produce results.....results that couldn't be achieved with an ageing Keane

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
drucurl said:
legend like Roy Keane should temper his statements.
Tempering his statements is not where his legendary status is buried. However, not tempering has a big part there.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
The thing with Keane is he is very outspoken and he'll say his opinion and he doesn't care who disagree's with it, which is what made him our greatest ever captain along with Cantona. and in his own words, he loves us, but he's bitter about the way it ended for him.

Although if this was 10 years ago Keane would beat Ronaldo to a pulp in the dressing room.

He has annoyed a lot of fans with this though, still a future utd manager mind.

FWIW keane and Van nistlerooy hated Ronaldo which caused a lot of fights within the squad.

Here's a video link to the interview - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7512607.stm
The media have a great way of twisting words.
he didnt say anything wrong and wasnt particularly talking about Ronaldo,
but more so just in general.

Last edited:

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sky Sports News sources understand Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson met with Real Madrid target Cristiano Ronaldo on Monday.

It is reported Ferguson held discussions with Ronaldo in Portugal over the winger's future at Old Trafford.

The conclusion of the talks is not known, although reports emanating from Spain claim the 23-year-old voiced his desire to leave for Real this summer.

The Spanish giants have made no secret of their wish to bring Ronaldo to the Bernabeu, and it has been claimed they are poised to launch a record-breaking offer for his services.

But United are adamant the two-time PFA Players' Player of the Year, who is currently sidelined with an ankle injury, will remain with the club.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_3833989,00.html

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Real Madrid remain in the hunt for Cristiano Ronaldo, despite Manchester United's claims that he is going nowhere.

The Red Devils maintain the Portuguese ace is not for sale and are not prepared to enter into any form of negotiations regarding a potential transfer.

Sir Alex Ferguson held clear-the-air discussions with the winger last week, and claimed in the aftermath of those talks that there was no chance the player would be leaving for Spain.

However, Real president Ramon Calderon refuses to accept that is the case and believes that the Premier League champions are trying to tempt their Spanish counterparts into upping the fee they are willing to pay.

Price
The Primera Liga outfit are thought to be prepared to part with a record-breaking 85million euros (£67.4m) in order to get their man, but no more.

"This type (of transfer) is hard," Calderon told the Spanish media, when asked about Ferguson's comments.

"But we're going to go for it all the same.

"I suppose it's all about a manner of theirs to let us know clearly that they're not going to lower the price in any way and that if we want him we have to pay a lot more money."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_3844567,00.html

bani

Primavera
Reaction score
manutd fan said:
Real Madrid remain in the hunt for Cristiano Ronaldo, despite Manchester United's claims that he is going nowhere.

The Red Devils maintain the Portuguese ace is not for sale and are not prepared to enter into any form of negotiations regarding a potential transfer.

Sir Alex Ferguson held clear-the-air discussions with the winger last week, and claimed in the aftermath of those talks that there was no chance the player would be leaving for Spain.

However, Real president Ramon Calderon refuses to accept that is the case and believes that the Premier League champions are trying to tempt their Spanish counterparts into upping the fee they are willing to pay.

Price
The Primera Liga outfit are thought to be prepared to part with a record-breaking 85million euros (£67.4m) in order to get their man, but no more.

"This type (of transfer) is hard," Calderon told the Spanish media, when asked about Ferguson's comments.

"But we're going to go for it all the same.

"I suppose it's all about a manner of theirs to let us know clearly that they're not going to lower the price in any way and that if we want him we have to pay a lot more money."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_3844567,00.html

When is this farce going to end?

Twizzle

Primavera
Reaction score
reports today are suggesting that Ronny has told ManU he aint coming back to England and they are meeting with him tomorrow for talks

he has basically walked out on his contract

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Van Der Vaart Maybe The Only Signing - Calderón
Ramón Calderón has dropped a huge hint that he has accepted defeat in Real Madrid's pursuit of Cristiano Ronaldo by stating that he thinks Rafael Van der Vaart could the only signing of the summer.

Los Merengues' president was introducing the Dutchman to the crowd of fans inside the Bernabéu when he revealed his feelings that this would be the only major presentation this month.

Manchester United have said that they do not expect the Portuguese star to leave them and now Calderón has publicly stated that he also thinks that is now true.

"Van der Vaart is the first signing and probably the only one," the Spanish champions' chief said.

Madrid have made no secret of their desire to sign Ronaldo and Marca have continued their coverage on a daily basis, with the paper even stating that the player will not return to Manchester today (Tuesday).

That news could have sparked controversy until United revealed that he was not going to go back anyway and would instead travel to see the surgeon who operated on his ankle.

Ronaldogate has once again overshadowed an event at Madrid and this time it was the introduction of Van der Vaart as the club's latest acquisition.

"I am delighted to be able to play for the best team in the world," the Dutch international, who has Spanish ancestry and family in Chiclana, said.

"It is a dream for my family and now I want to win as many trophies as possible here."

Lucas Brown, Goal.com

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Twizzle said:
reports today are suggesting that Ronny has told ManU he aint coming back to England and they are meeting with him tomorrow for talks

he has basically walked out on his contract

He still isn't gonna get his move. If he thinks he can beat Fergie then he's got another thing coming.