Week 2: Milan - Brescia 31/08/19 18:00 CET

ForzaACM

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka Zidane R9 Robben Nesta Henry Suarez Messi Maldini Rivaldo Iniesta Dinho Sheva Pippo
3pts are important but we need a lot of work.

Giampaolo needs to stop fucking around and play our best starting XI.

dcfcfan1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If your not gonna play paqueta as an AM next to the striker, you may as well not play him at all.

Problem with samu and silva up front is that they have no aerial ability. Lose every header, every second ball. No point suso crossing it into the box. You cant play silva up front on his own without Leo or Piatek, it just negates our attacking threat

SixOneFive

Long Live Don Silvio
Reaction score
No, he’s right. A group of terminally ill children are more optimistic than y’all.

Lots to be happy about in reality, the team played a bit better and is improving slowly.

Positives
  • 1st half fairly calm in possession
  • Hakan scored, Suso assisted. Classic Suso play from the right wing
  • Bennacer fitting into the team quickly, played a beautiful veritcal pass to Hakan in the 28th minute that led to a scoring opportunity. Nice turn near the halfway line in the 44th which became a quick attack ending in Suso shot.
  • Around 84th minute game completely opened up. Bennacer->Romagnoli->Borini->Suso which led to a dangerous move. + 3(!) chances in quick succession including Kessie shot over bar, Paqueta hitting the post, and two Piatek chances. Game should have been 2-0 at least.
Negatives
  • We struggled when Brescia started pressing in secondo tempo.
  • Mussachio especially had a hard time releasing ball quickly
  • Bennacer and Kessie were coming back to get ball from defense but we werent able to find them. Defense had a hard time trusting them to be able to receive and find teammates
  • No outlets in attack as an alternative, Suso went back to Suso-ball and camped on right wing and we know how predictable that is

All in all its a net positive, even without the result. Giampaolo’s starting to show that his ideas of how we’re supposed to play will improve us. When moves start with quick passes through the middle we create danger fairly easily. When we meander out wide in attack we struggle. We also need to learn how to beat the press as well as teams who camp.

+1000

Exactly. Today was postive step. People need to calm the fuck down.

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
8705db89e6be53a910e2a1f192d92f3c.jpg

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Missed the game due to a sudden trip. So happy we got the 3 points and kept a clean sheet. Very happy Calhanoglu scored. He needed that. As I said before, I expect him to be one of the players with most minutes this season, we need him to stay on form.

Loved the goal - when was the last time we had a free man at the far post in a Serie A match? Half the goals in the league by top teams get scored that way.

Opened top three thread: http://forum.acmilan-online.com/showthread.php?p=3070094#post3070094

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Bennacer 6.5: he is not afraid and always knows what to do during the setup phase. Even taking some risks here and there amid Brescian pressure, with Spalek having the task of not letting it run. It can become fundamental for the quality of calcium it expresses.

Calhanoglu 7: reported in the role of mezzala, is Bennacer's favorite "wall", with which he exchanges many balls during the construction of the game. Unlock the game with a close-up header, which is not exactly the house specialty. (from 63 'Paquetà 6: it must still grow a lot in the Giampaolian game system, but it has a quality out of the ordinary. They have to break it down in three to take away the ball in the final race).

:proud:

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
We won that is about all that was positive about this game.

Calhanoglu put his goal away well. We then did nothing, absolutely nothing offensively until approximately 85th minute.

The playing out from the back is suicide especially against any team with quality players. If we were playing any established Serie A team yesterday we would maybe have escaped with a draw.

We sacked Gattuso for this?

The coach has a maximum of 10 games to get things right. We were one point from CL football last season. We are now even worse than we were last season. The coach needs time but how long realistically will he get? We were the 5th best team in Serie A last season. We can't be as bad as we were in these first 2 games. We have Inter in a few weeks and they will smash us on current form.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Watched the game with five friends (which is a rarity because I always make sure I'm alone during Milan games), they had a great time making fun of me :lol:

Happy for the win though.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
We sacked Gattuso for this?

Just curious, why do people expect the end product from the very beginning? GP himself have said multiple times that he needs TIME to make this work/look good.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Just curious, why do people expect the end product from the very beginning? GP himself have said multiple times that he needs TIME to make this work/look good.

Because the management of the club should not be so incompetent to make us worst than we were. In Serie A GP has made us worst than we were under Gattuso.

GP got the line up horribly wrong in Udine resulting in our first lost of the season. We were dire yesterday and would have lost against a half decent Serie A team.

He must improve quickly and he is lucky we now have the international break. All teams going for the top 4 have improved significantly. It will finish Juve, Inter/Napoli and we are fighting for that 4th spot with a number of clubs. We don't have time for GP to get it right because 4th will be gone by week 10 if he does not improve significantly quickly.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
So you've decided that we are worse than last year after two games? I'd understand the concern more if we'd continued with the same coach, but this coach is new and he's changing a lot of things, isn't it understandable that there's some friction at the beginning?

Again, why do you expect the end result right from the beginning? When the season is over we'll know if we're better than last year or not right?

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
i watched replay of the game beacuse was away, after checking result and forum...
we played ok, not bad not great; if we would score at least one more goal from all chances we had people would not overreact (like kessie terrible passer whole game, etc.)

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Game was not that bad as some of you are saying. We could have easily scored more. Paqueta's post, Kessie clear chance.. And i wont even mention Piatek chances. Had it gone in, noone would talk about bad game.
We did lose control at one point, but we created many scoring chances

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Game was not that bad as some of you are saying. We could have easily scored more. Paqueta's post, Kessie clear chance.. And i wont even mention Piatek chances. Had it gone in, noone would talk about bad game.
We did lose control at one point, but we created many scoring chances

Between minute 15 and 85 we were dog shit to be honest. I dont know what happend after minute 85, whether it was Brescia opening up space or us just taking control and playing the way we intend to play. Nevertheless we should aim to play that throughout the entire game. That was world class. And with a bit more luck (well luck was really the only thing missing) we would have won 4-0 if Piatek scored his 2 chances and Paquetas Kaka moment resulted in a goal.

I really want us to play like that all the time

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
So you've decided that we are worse than last year after two games? I'd understand the concern more if we'd continued with the same coach, but this coach is new and he's changing a lot of things, isn't it understandable that there's some friction at the beginning?

Again, why do you expect the end result right from the beginning? When the season is over we'll know if we're better than last year or not right?

I was just expecting better. Gattuso was sacked because he didn't get 4th. The players have been together a season longer, bar the new additions. We should be doing better than 3 points from Udinese and Brescia and we are lucky to have that.

I hope GP does well but i'm certainly not convinced by the ridiculous team selection in Udine or the performances. Hopefully it will all improve.

Between minute 15 and 85 we were dog shit to be honest. I dont know what happend after minute 85, whether it was Brescia opening up space or us just taking control and playing the way we intend to play. Nevertheless we should aim to play that throughout the entire game. That was world class. And with a bit more luck (well luck was really the only thing missing) we would have won 4-0 if Piatek scored his 2 chances and Paquetas Kaka moment resulted in a goal.

You are right. Between the 15th and 85th minute we were truly awful and any decent team would have hammered us. It is disappointing we left it so late to start to play and another goal would have been great.

Onwards and upwards!

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

A few factors:

- Brescia got desperate at the end and took big risks to get an equalizer, but it mainly lead to their mids being caught out of position a bunch of times.
- Borini, Piatek and Paq reenergized the team. Especially Borini. Brescia players couldn't deal with the sudden high pressure.

jurinius

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Cafu Boban Pirlo Inzaghi Shevchenko Leonardo Van Basten Ambrosini
Just watched the full replay. Very good game ! you can see players acting more confident than vs Udinese. For me it's 50% on coach + 50% players themselves feeling superior to Brescia side. Fine

Piatek : When I saw the comments on match thread I thought Piatek was alone against the keeper, was more tricky than that, still he missed it. he doesn't look mad for not scoring as well.

Paqueta : Was playing up front and you clearly see that he should be there, nothing to do in the mid. Maybe a msg in curva sud will save him.

Hakan : Interesting game, always good to score.

Suso : The maestro take it to the right and deliver an assist. Great move !

GP : U had Samu Silva Suso at the start nobody will kill you if you finish the game with Paqueta Piatek Leao (Yes they don't know the system)

The team is playing well but something is still missing between the players (Especially attacking ones - see the replay after Paqueta unlucky shoot). Pep would have been mad after Suso attempt not because it as gone off but because not trusting other players effort is destructive. Giving the ball to Piatek running maybe this ball would have came back to him for an easy goal -> They say they need time OK

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado

An inch or two on Pacqueta’s shot along with a few inches for Peeontech’s shot and it would have been 3-0

Milan dominated the match and had some shitty end product in the final third too many times with lost balls

Anyone who downplays yesterday as anything less than a good step in the right direction is blind

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Milan dominated the match

Nope. At least not more than 20 mins of it.

Anyone who downplays yesterday as anything less than a good step in the right direction is blind

Moving Suso and Hakan away from the trequartista and regista spots is, of course, the right direction to go.
The team has never looked more dysfunctional than in the opening game against Udinese.
For this game, one could tell beforehand just by looking at the XI, and the fact it's a home game, that the performance and result will be nowhere near as bad as the last game.

But we are yet to see any collective improvements, compared to last season.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
An inch or two on Pacqueta’s shot along with a few inches for Peeontech’s shot and it would have been 3-0

Milan dominated the match and had some shitty end product in the final third too many times with lost balls

Good step in the right direction, yes. But dominated the match? Maybe if you look at only possession stats but other than the first and last 15 mins it was pretty even.

Hoplite

Starting Eleven
Reaction score

Interesting. I wonder who is the blind one here

Schedule