The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > Other > Off Topic

Off Topic You can talk here about everything that doesn't fit in the rest of the forums (movies, music, games etc.)

Old 31-10-2011, 22:41   #261
kristpdr
Primavera Player

Fav. Players: Ronaldo Maradona Maldini Baresi Baggio Cafu

I am reading science books..Chemistry, physics, botany, agrometheorology, mycology, mathematics... First reading..Then studying.. My studying process always starts with reading..
kristpdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 00:33   #262
Jasper
Maldini tier

Fav. Players: 3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli, Michael Avenatti

Zlatan's

Signature
Must follow tumblr - http://milanpeaboss.tumblr.com/

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 08:14   #263
Sonny.Bill.Williams
WUNDERKIND

Anyone read any of Simon Kuper's books ?
Sonny.Bill.Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 09:06   #264
dhorasoo
data haiku

Fav. Players: pirlo, kinkladze, baggio, foggia, baronio, dhorasoo, serginho, caracciolo, ronaldo, pep & corini

Recently read:
- The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon: a comical noir detective story set in an fictitious Yiddish shtettl in Alaska revolving around the game of chess and the next coming of the Messiah (is probably gonna be put into a movie by the Coen brothers ). The first hundred pages are absolutely brilliantly written, the end is rapped up too suddenly.
- The Royal Game by Stefan Zweig: another chess story set on a cruise ship during WWII, very easy read about a man being held by the Gestapo who - to escape his mental and physical exclusion from the world - played chess games in his head, with schizophrenic consequences when he plays a real chess champion.
- The Pigeon and Maitre Mussards Bequest and 3 short stories by Patrick Süskind: The Pigeon is a story about a simple guy who's life gets upside down when there's a pigeon in front of his room. Very well written, gives you a good look in the head of someone who had to struggle all his life. Maitre Mussard and the 3 short stories are short novellas talking about the end of the world, religion, art, again the game of chess and the absurdity of literature. These stories, well written as they are, come nowhere close to the brilliance of his book Perfume, one of the most unique novels if ever read.

About to read:
- Blind Date by Jerzy Kosinski: loved his books The Painted Bird and Cockpit, I guess this one is not gonna be any less violent and sexually tinted.

Signature
dhorasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 00:49   #265
Sven
Super Moderator

This:

Brilliant book
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 05:19   #266
Ashish
Banned

Fav. Players: Ronaldo, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Duncan, Ginobli, Eli Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
I'm reading biographies lately. Curently it's my favourite kind of book. I'm enjoying now a lot of books I had in the past but passed on it for various reasons. I think I also had some of that typical academic bias against journalistic language. It seems narrow minded from myself now though. Altough there's really a lot of bad written biographies, there's also very good writers. Simple language/history line doesn't mean lack of thoroughness, yet can be much more entertaining to read.
Ashish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 07:04   #267
nuttela
Super Bludfam

zlatans bio

Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Wesley View Post
GOOOOOOOOL DEEEEL MILAAAAAAAN. HA ILLUMINATO SAN SIRO IL NUMERO UNDICI...GIAMPAOLO....PAZZINIIII....GIAMPAOLO....P AZZINI....GIAMPAOLO PAZZINI!!
nuttela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:34   #268
Sonny.Bill.Williams
WUNDERKIND

Soccernomics by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski

NICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Dinar
Sonny.Bill.Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 14:13   #269
Jasper
Maldini tier

Fav. Players: 3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli, Michael Avenatti

Took Chuck Palahniuk's 'Rant' today. We'll see if I read it ...

Signature
Must follow tumblr - http://milanpeaboss.tumblr.com/

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 23:09   #270
Capo Ultra
World Cup Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo Ultra View Post
Currently I'm reading these books:
Blue Tigers by Jorge Luis Borges.
Ilustrado by Miguel Syjuco.
Finished the two above-mentioned books about a month ago and read the autobiographies of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Giovanni Galli after that.

Now I'm reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. I got Milan, 25 anni di Gloria by Luca Serafini today, so I'll probably read it when I'm done with 1Q84.
Capo Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:36   #271
necromancer
Lo Stile di Pioli

Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Ok, this is seriously spooky, Capo Ultra. I came here to post that I've just started 1Q84.

Bought it yesterday - the edition here has all 3 volumes in one book. Tremendously expensive in accordance with that. Any other author, and I'd have thought twice about spending that much on a book.

With job getting more hectic, it had taken me 2 months to finish all 5 Ice and Fire books, and the 3 Dunk & Egg companion stories. But what an amazing two months. GRRM is a truly gifted man. What I wouldnt give to steal a peek at his notes for the remaining 2 Ice and Fire books.. In short, I highly recommend the series to anyone who enjoys low fantasy and/or medieval history.

Last edited by necromancer; 09-12-2011 at 10:39.
necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:50   #272
Capo Ultra
World Cup Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer View Post
Ok, this is seriously spooky, Capo Ultra. I came here to post that I've just started 1Q84.

Bought it yesterday - the edition here has all 3 volumes in one book. Tremendously expensive in accordance with that. Any other author, and I'd have thought twice about spending that much on a book.
What a coincidence
I probably shouldn't tell you this since you've already bought the book, but I have it as an epub file if you're interested?
Capo Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:12   #273
necromancer
Lo Stile di Pioli

Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo Ultra View Post
What a coincidence
I probably shouldn't tell you this since you've already bought the book, but I have it as an epub file if you're interested?
Haha, thanks but no, since I've bought it already. I continue to read print versions for my favourite authors - difficult to let go of physical books, their touch, smell etc
necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 20:39   #274
Charbel
"Il Capitano"

Fav. Players: Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini

I've started with Confession of Saint Augustine. The use of old english will probably stop me from reading all of it, but I've loved various quotes from him so hopefully I'll enjoy the rest. Recently, I decided it's time to read books. After Carlo's auotbiography, and reading most of Inverting the Pyramid (stopped after Capello's Milan ...will finish it later), and Zlatan's autobiography. These are things that interest me most, and thus reading will be less boring.

Signature
Previously known as "Soldier"
Charbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 17:16   #275
Congo Powers
b+g immortale

Fav. Players: Silvio Berlusconi, Rui Costa, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, Theo, KPB, Mario

just finished this book

The Captive Dreamer---Christian de la Maziere

wow---highly highly recommended. incredible story, unique perspective...crazy book. loved it

http://www.amazon.com/captive-dreame.../dp/0841503192

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christi...a_Mazi%C3%A8re
Congo Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 17:33   #276
Yoshi
ahmedwuzhere

Fav. Players: Ronaldo(R9), El Shaarawy, Nesta, Neymar, Montolivo, Maldini, Dinho, De Sciglio, Iniesta, Pato

Just finished Stieg Larsson's Millennium series... I'd suggest them to anybody that's interested in the mystery/ thriller genres. I'm still pissed off that it ended cause apparently it was supposed to go on for ~10 books but Larsson died while writing the 4th and 5th one... I rarely even read books but after watching Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last week, I picked them up at the library and couldn't stop reading lol

http://www.amazon.com/Stieg-Larssons.../dp/0307594777

Signature
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:49   #277
derpu
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: Demetrio Albertini, Prinz Eugen

I am on my Sherlock Holmes marathon month

Just finished reading:

1. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

2. A Study In Scarlet

3. The Sign of Four

4. The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Currently reading: The Valley of Fear

Next on the List:

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, His Last Bow, The Return of Sherlock Holmes.

Sherlock fans will notice that I read the books in no particular order

Signature

Last edited by derpu; 06-01-2012 at 08:01.
derpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 23:45   #278
.A.K.

Fav. Players: Kaka,Pato,Maldini,Inzaghi

just finished wheres wally
.A.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 16:29   #279
David
Administrator

Been reading Soccernomics lately albeit at a very slow pace. This quote is from Boudewijn Zenden:

Quote:
Milan: best club ever. AC Milan is organized in a way you can’t believe. Anything is done for you: you arrive, you get your house, it’s fully furnished, you get five cars to choose from, you know the sky’s the limit. They really say: we’ll take care of everything else; you make sure you play really well. Whereas unfortunately in a lot of clubs, you have to get after it yourself. . . . Sometimes you get to a club, and you’ve got people actually at the club who take profit from players.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 16:33   #280
hdcantona
Senatore_M84's Protege

Fav. Players: Cantona, Berbatov, Sheva, Pirlo, Ibra, Robinho, Forlan, Pato, Maldini, Becks, Modric, Rochemback

I wanted to read Soccernomics but I could only find it on amazon for some astronomical price :/

And I'm yet to read "inverting the pyramid" - which i got for xmas

Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiero View Post
Senatore, you have just won the internet.

hdcantona is offline   Reply With Quote