The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > Other > Off Topic

Off Topic You can talk here about everything that doesn't fit in the rest of the forums (movies, music, games etc.)

Old 26-06-2015, 13:08   #421
Lord Snow
World Cup Winner

Fav. Players: Shevchenko

Just started with Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Celine absolutely love the starting but its probably one of those books that take time and you're supposed to understand more and read less.

I always read poetry along side prose , currently its Kusumagraj(Urdu/Hindi poetry)

Last edited by Lord Snow; 26-06-2015 at 13:11.
Lord Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 13:37   #422
Mr Delicious
Banned

City of stairs is an amazing book
Mr Delicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 21:30   #423
adit
Senior Team Member

just finished to read Hedge Knight, Sword Sword, Mystery Knight, the Princess and the Queen, Rogue Knight in last 2 weeks

now i'm reading World of Ice and Fire
adit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 04:28   #424
Mr Delicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit View Post
just finished to read Hedge Knight, Sword Sword, Mystery Knight, the Princess and the Queen, Rogue Knight in last 2 weeks

Fantasy fan?
Old 14-07-2015, 04:29   #425
Mr Delicious
Banned

Damn, I'm too picky with what I read. Anyone got a good fiction novel worth checking out? No YA please
Old 14-07-2015, 06:13   #426
Lord Snow
World Cup Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit View Post

Started reading George R.R. too.Finshed the first one and now on Clash of Kings.
I need something different between every fantasy book , really hard to keep it reading fantasy all the time.

Along with this I am currently reading Shakespeare's sonnets .
Old 14-07-2015, 06:20   #427
Mr Delicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amay View Post
Started reading George R.R. too.Finshed the first one and now on Clash of Kings.
I need something different between every fantasy book , really hard to keep it reading fantasy all the time.

Along with this I am currently reading Shakespeare's sonnets .
Clash of kings is good, don't binge on the series though. It's VERY dark and fucks with your mind if you read it none stop. I had to take a break before reading dance of dragons because it started to get to me

If fantasy is your thing check out the iron druid chronicles. Thought id hate it but 7 books later...
Old 14-07-2015, 09:40   #428
Lord Snow
World Cup Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Delicious View Post
Clash of kings is good, don't binge on the series though. It's VERY dark and fucks with your mind if you read it none stop. I had to take a break before reading dance of dragons because it started to get to me

If fantasy is your thing check out the iron druid chronicles. Thought id hate it but 7 books later...
I'll probably take a break after every book and read something light.I was expecting Journey to the End of the Night to be that , but the book is heavy and so good.No wonder Jim Morrison got inspiried after reading it.Great Book,Must Read.

Talking about fantasy fiction,I promised myself that after reading Harry Potter as a kid,I would never read the Genre again with the Exception for J.R.R.Tolkien of course.But the TV series got me really intrigued.George R.R. is good , possibly even great , but nothing compares to Tolkein.
Old 14-07-2015, 21:48   #429
joyrider
Il Moderati

A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream

by

Hunter S Thompson
joyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 23:10   #430
Mr Delicious
Banned

Quote:
I'll probably take a break after every book and read something light.I was expecting Journey to the End of the Night to be that , but the book is heavy and so good.No wonder Jim Morrison got inspiried after reading it.Great Book,Must Read.

Talking about fantasy fiction,I promised myself that after reading Harry Potter as a kid,I would never read the Genre again with the Exception for J.R.R.Tolkien of course.But the TV series got me really intrigued.George R.R. is good , possibly even great , but nothing compares to Tolkein.
Im telling you, if you need something light, entertaining and funny The Iron Druid chronicles is worth checking out
Old 31-07-2015, 06:52   #431
Lord Snow
World Cup Winner

Done with A Clash of Kings and wanted a change so I started with Anton Chekovs Plays(The Sea Gull,Uncle Vanya,The Three Sisters and The Cherry Orchard).
Great Writer.

Also have to add Turgenev and Pushkin to the reading list.
Old 01-08-2015, 20:39   #432
KujaIX
Allegri fanboy

Fav. Players: Allegri, Ibra, Boateng

Quote:
Damn, I'm too picky with what I read. Anyone got a good fiction novel worth checking out? No YA please
Going to recommend the ol' Great Gatsby. A school favourite, but still. Epically wonderful book language and writing wise.

Quote:

I'm binging. On Storm of Swords. I suppose that binging does limit the effectiveness of tough chapters but I just can't get enough. Still, it's great. Fucking abhor Tyrion though. He might as well be called 'Plot Armour dwarf'. He's more intelligent than anyone we've seen, kills more people than The Hound and has a bigger penis than show Podrick. I mean, what is even going for him? Every single comment is some sarcastic jibe ... it's just not good.

Quote:
Done with A Clash of Kings and wanted a change so I started with Anton Chekovs Plays(The Sea Gull,Uncle Vanya,The Three Sisters and The Cherry Orchard).
Great Writer.

Also have to add Turgenev and Pushkin to the reading list.
Continue on. Storm of Swords is great. Perhaps in the 2nd half I'll feel drained, but atm it's going fine. It is far longer but still.
KujaIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 20:44   #433
Mr Delicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KujaIX View Post
Going to recommend the ol' Great Gatsby. A school favourite, but still. Epically wonderful book language and writing wise.

I'm binging. On Storm of Swords. I suppose that binging does limit the effectiveness of tough chapters but I just can't get enough. Still, it's great. Fucking abhor Tyrion though. He might as well be called 'Plot Armour dwarf'. He's more intelligent than anyone we've seen, kills more people than The Hound and has a bigger penis than show Podrick. I mean, what is even going for him? Every single comment is some sarcastic jibe ... it's just not good.

He's by far my favorite character

Spoiler:
in part because virtually everyone in that series bar the dragon queen is either insane or a psychopath . I got used to his sarcastic antics because I know his role (I hope anyways) in the coming novels will be very large. Ironic such a short guy has such a large personality, eh?

I've read the Gatsby and watched the movie, got any others? I'm not too big on classics tbh, I can't seem to get into them enough to really appreciate them as much as other people seem to
Old 20-01-2016, 14:28   #434
Temogn
Rookie

Recently I was reading this book Before I Fall , It's really nice !

LOOK AND SEE
Temogn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 14:56   #435
beegees
Living Stoneman

Fav. Players: Francesco Acerbi, Bakaye Traore, Kevin Constant

Zero to One by Peter Thiel.

a great book written by founder of paypal. inspiring advice for wanna-be entrepreneurs
beegees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 19:38   #436
joyrider
Il Moderati

recently finished

Thinking, Fast and Slow

Kahneman
Old 20-01-2016, 22:21   #437
Mr Delicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyrider View Post
recently finished

Thinking, Fast and Slow

Kahneman
Have it downloaded and on my to-read-list

Great minds think alike
Old 21-01-2016, 15:21   #438
beegees
Living Stoneman

Fav. Players: Francesco Acerbi, Bakaye Traore, Kevin Constant

I tried reading The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham once, and I didn't understand it twice. OMG.
may I get some advice how to understand it? it seems like you must at least have basic in economics, and I'm a pilot. LOL.
beegees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 20:08   #439
joyrider
Il Moderati

Quote:
Have it downloaded and on my to-read-list

Great minds think alike

you like astrology and stuff right?

the blue planet project is good
Old 21-01-2016, 20:53   #440
Mr Delicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyrider View Post
you like astrology and stuff right?

the blue planet project is good
lmao i like physics and astronomy, not so much alien speculation. appreciate the recommendation though