The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > Other > Off Topic

Off Topic You can talk here about everything that doesn't fit in the rest of the forums (movies, music, games etc.)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2016, 21:05   #441
joyrider
Il Moderati
 
joyrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Default

my bad, meant to put astronomy


it's written by the anonymous group.....it's not really speculation, it's a gathering of informative evidence



i was very sceptic to read this one, it turned out to be very precise
joyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 21:28   #442
Mr Delicious
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: close proximity of congo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyrider View Post
my bad, meant to put astronomy


it's written by the anonymous group.....it's not really speculation, it's a gathering of informative evidence



i was very sceptic to read this one, it turned out to be very precise
Ok, will check it out! I'm currently finishing Leviathan Wakes (gotta have a dose of fiction here) and im half way through A Mathematical universe so once im done with those ill give it a shot
Mr Delicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:42   #443
Congo Powers
b+g immortale
 
Congo Powers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: caroline celico
Fav. Players: Silvio Berlusconi, Rui Costa, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, Theo, KPB, Mario
Default

I started houellebecq's submission this morning and couldn't put it down, just finished it. Might as well have been platform pt. 2

Really enjoy him
Congo Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 20:01   #444
Sven
Super Moderator
 
Sven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default

I loved submission.
Some of my friends say it's his best book... Idk, probably still elementary particles to me
But it's close. His most powerful narrative and the most solid book
Sven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 20:13   #445
Mr Delicious
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: close proximity of congo
Default

Finished Sapiens: A brief history of human kind. Very intriguing up until the last chapter
Mr Delicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 06:26   #446
necromancer
Lo Stile di Pioli
 
necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Johannesburg
Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Default

RIP Umberto Eco. Easily the writer who has influenced me the most.

The heady craziness of Faucault's Pendulum.. lovely peek into Italian history and lit in Queen Loana.. perfectly done medieval murder mystery in Name of the Rose.. No author comes close to him in his genre.


Signature
necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 21:38   #447
joyrider
Il Moderati
 
joyrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Default

Ibn-Al-Arabi: The Bezels of Wisdom
joyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 20:49   #448
Nestafan
Long Hair > Mohawk
 
Nestafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ireland
Fav. Players: Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Aquilani. Current AC - Ibra, Tonali, Romagnoli,Tătă
Default

Federer and Me: A Story of Obsession.


Signature
Nestafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 21:49   #449
Raz
AC Milan Icon
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Trying to start reading a new sci-fi series.
Got 4 choices narrowed down.
Commonwealth Saga by Peter F. Hamilton
The Night's Dawn by Peter F. Hamilton
The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons
The Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Anyone read any of those and can recommend?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 21:59   #450
General
God Emperor of Humility
 
General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Fav. Players: People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
Default

Foundation... massive story.

Read that


Signature
David, please sell me the forum
General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 22:27   #451
Raz
AC Milan Icon
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by General View Post
Foundation... massive story.

Read that
That one kinda scares me, tbh. There's 15 books if you include 'Empire' and 'Robot' which are in the same universe. And I like to be thorough, so I won't just read the trilogy. Las time I read something this big was Wheel of Time and it took me almost 2 years to finish.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 22:35   #452
General
God Emperor of Humility
 
General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Fav. Players: People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razvalinho View Post
That one kinda scares me, tbh. There's 15 books if you include 'Empire' and 'Robot' which are in the same universe. And I like to be thorough, so I won't just read the trilogy. Las time I read something this big was Wheel of Time and it took me almost 2 years to finish.
Read the first book in the trilogy


Signature
David, please sell me the forum
General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 22:53   #453
Raz
AC Milan Icon
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by General View Post
Read the first book in the trilogy
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 09:10   #454
Lord Snow
World Cup Winner
 
Lord Snow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Delhi
Fav. Players: Shevchenko
Default

Recently started with America by Franz Kafka. I have read The Trial and was blown away, no words to describe that book. A must read for anyone.
Lord Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 09:12   #455
Lord Snow
World Cup Winner
 
Lord Snow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Delhi
Fav. Players: Shevchenko
Default

Football Books I have read :

1) Inverting the Pyramid
2) Soccernomics
3) Every Boy's Dream : England's Future on the Line
4) Retired
Lord Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 23:30   #456
Nestafan
Long Hair > Mohawk
 
Nestafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ireland
Fav. Players: Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Aquilani. Current AC - Ibra, Tonali, Romagnoli,Tătă
Default

Reading Stephen King's IT for the first time since I was 12.
Still freaks me out.

TV adaptation scarred my childhood.


Signature
Nestafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 12:29   #457
beegees
Living Stoneman
 
beegees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Fav. Players: Francesco Acerbi, Bakaye Traore, Kevin Constant
Default

The 48 Laws of Power - Robert Greene

this is a book you must read at least once in your life.
modern days version of Niccolò Machiavelli's The Prince.

it feels like Machiavelli, Nietzsche & Sun Tzu were gathered, and speaking in a self-empowerment seminar.

it shows principles to gain power and stay with it. It also shows that the most impressive people handling power had to do things that some of us would not do by principles, so not everyone is made to do what it's necessary to achieve power.
beegees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 00:16   #458
Massaro94
Uno Tituli
 
Massaro94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Grande Britain
Fav. Players: Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegees View Post
The 48 Laws of Power - Robert Greene

this is a book you must read at least once in your life.
modern days version of Niccolò Machiavelli's The Prince.

it feels like Machiavelli, Nietzsche & Sun Tzu were gathered, and speaking in a self-empowerment seminar.

it shows principles to gain power and stay with it. It also shows that the most impressive people handling power had to do things that some of us would not do by principles, so not everyone is made to do what it's necessary to achieve power.
Hmmmm

I remember picking this up before the UCL final in 05. (heard about it on The Contender, "no such thing as a free luch")

Loved it to begin with... but I had to put it down half way through.

Definitely worth a read. On the one hand it can be used to manipulate people. On the other hand you can use it to defend yourself against those who try to manipulate..

My favourite option is to sit back and watch the show unfold, between 2 people.

One of the early laws regarding Reputation... and how the chinese General defeated an an army of 100K on his own ... That was brilliant.


Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Diavolo 3 View Post
Any news on Ramos? I don’t even mind giving him #3
Massaro94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 00:18   #459
Massaro94
Uno Tituli
 
Massaro94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Grande Britain
Fav. Players: Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Snow View Post
Football Books I have read :

1) Inverting the Pyramid
He dedicated a whole Chapter to Sacchi and Lobanovsky iirc

I'm looking to buy the new book on Cruyff.


Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Diavolo 3 View Post
Any news on Ramos? I don’t even mind giving him #3
Massaro94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 07:26   #460
beegees
Living Stoneman
 
beegees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Fav. Players: Francesco Acerbi, Bakaye Traore, Kevin Constant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massaro94 View Post
Hmmmm

I remember picking this up before the UCL final in 05. (heard about it on The Contender, "no such thing as a free luch")

Loved it to begin with... but I had to put it down half way through.

Definitely worth a read. On the one hand it can be used to manipulate people. On the other hand you can use it to defend yourself against those who try to manipulate..

My favourite option is to sit back and watch the show unfold, between 2 people.

One of the early laws regarding Reputation... and how the chinese General defeated an an army of 100K on his own ... That was brilliant.
yeah that was so dope.

and when I read the law #15: "Crush Your Enemy Totally"
I suddenly remember Juventus.
The book writer encourge it's reader to show no mercy on enemies, because if we gave them hope, it will make them more determined, more embittered, and someday will take revenge.
Juventus was really fucked up after the calciopoli.
They were no longer considered as our rival for that period.
However, they slowly build their team again, and somehow Galliani gave them Andrea Pirlo.

and then, here we are, fucked up.
beegees is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:23.





Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©2002-2011 The Red & Black Forums. These are fan forums and are in no way affiliated with AC Milan S.p.A.