Lippi stands by choices Monday

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Totti, Maldini, Canna, Olic, Barbarez, Šuker, Gatu, Buffon, Pirlo, Zambro & Nesta
Lippi stands by choices Monday
15 November, 2004 (Football Italia).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcello Lippi has defended his decision to name an experimental squad for Wednesday’s Finland friendly.

The tactician has opted to leave the established stars at home in favour of giving maiden call-ups to Flavio Roma, Alessandro Parisi, Andrea Caracciolo, Andrea Barzagli, Giorgio Chiellini and Stefano Mauri.

"This won’t be an experimental Italy. I plan to forge a real team, one that will be of use to my squad in the future," Lippi stated.

"I want to take a closer look at players who haven’t had too much of a chance before and individuals who are doing well in Serie A right now.

"I consider this match against Finland on Wednesday night to be a very important test."

However, Lippi’s selections haven’t been accepted by Lecce boss Zdenek Zeman after Antonio Cassetti was ignored.

The Czech feels that his frosty relationship with Lippi may have had a part to play in the decision to not select his midfielder.

"This gentleman has lots of suspicions but this one is not justified. I simply make my decisions based on tactical ideas and nothing else," noted the Italy Coach.

"This time I have called up players who have done well such as Giorgio Chiellini and Alessandro Parisi.

"Cassetti could be included next time. After all, I have left out individuals such as Vincenzo Iaquinta and Gianpiero Pinzi of Udinese who were under observation too."

Lippi was also asked to comment on another player who is absent – Roma enigma Antonio Cassano.

"Am I worried about the footballing talent of Cassano? At this moment in time I would say yes," he explained.

"I met him on Wednesday and wished him all the best in resolving whatever problems he may have.

"He is a real talent of Italian football and I hope he can play as regularly as possible so that I can call him up in the future."

I don't know what the guy is thinking, I've always had a great respect for Lippi but come on, I think this is too much expermientaly about choosing the team. Every single game almost new starting eleven ?

Schedule