Week 1: Udinese - Milan 25/08/19 18:00 CET

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
But but conte plays 352 and sucks in europe

I'm pretty sure you were one of the posters who were almost crying out of joy because we finally got a "4312 expert" that could make Milan play like the old days.

He literally used one single formation since he started coaching in Serie A.

Not true. He mainly fielded 433/4141 and 4231 at Cesena, and he was known for defensive tactics.
The possession-based 4312 was adopted from Sarri at Empoli in 2015.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
Like I said playing/coaching Milan is not midtable the pressure is heavy and most of these players dont have the mentality. That's why we continue to struggle. No certified match winners means we are asking this group to play way above their abilities.

:thumbsup:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This was pretty much the game I thought it would be when I saw the line-up. Borini as CM, Hakan as regista... The midfield achieved to be both weak and not technical enough and benching Kessie made no sense at all in the end. I hope this was just the excessive thinkering of a system coach and he learns fast and leave it behind.

I think Atleti is kind of fleecing us with Correa but it's clear him or player like him is badly needed now. Our attack just doesn't work as it is. Samu is not good enough. Suso will probably fail at AM and will go back to being an option for a 433. I would even consider testing Leao and Piatek together before going on with this line-up.

AndreiX

AC Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
sometimes
This was pretty much the game I thought it would be when I saw the line-up. Borini as CM, Hakan as regista... The midfield achieved to be both weak and not technical enough and benching Kessie made no sense at all in the end. I hope this was just the excessive thinkering of a system coach and he learns fast and leave it behind.

I think Atleti is kind of fleecing us with Correa but it's clear him or player like him is badly needed now. Our attack just doesn't work as it is. Samu is not good enough. Suso will probably fail at AM and will go back to being an option for a 433. I would even consider testing Leao and Piatek together before going on with this line-up.

:heart:

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score

Welcome back!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Lads, come on, that was just 1 game.

Our defensive minded midfielders were not ready for that game. At least GP thought that way. Kessie and Bennacer came from African Cup, Biglia was injured, Krunic isn't a starter at all.
The choice of 3 CMs and CAM was risky, but probably was the only one with fit players.

Will see later.

The takeaway from this game is:

1. Our wingbacks need to work more in the opposition area.

2. Based on 1. We need to sell RR68 NOW. He can't be effective in the opposition area - too slow. Keeping Laxalt as an option.

3. To play against 3-5-2 Milan needs to think how to stretch the opposition defence.

4. Suso can be a TQ only when he is given some space. He is useless against tight defence

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka'<3, Pato, Romagnoli, Gigio, Marco Asensio, Andre Silva
Sven is back <3

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Welcome back!

I think we can already rule out that he learns fast.
If he was well-prepared and had a good judgment then he wouldn't waste so much time experimenting with Borini and Suso in the midfield.

I gave him the benefit of doubt on his strange choices, but that performance and post-match comments revealed he was as foolish as he seemed.

I don't know much about Correa, but if he's not a RW/LW upgrade for 4-3-3 then he should be no option. His numbers at Atletico do not impress.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome back!

I think we can already rule out that he learns fast.
If he was well-prepared and had a good judgment then he wouldn't waste so much time experimenting with Borini and Suso in the midfield.

I gave him the benefit of doubt on his strange choices, but that performance and post-match comments revealed he was as foolish as he seemed.

I don't know much about Correa, but if he's not a RW/LW upgrade for 4-3-3 then he should be no option. His numbers at Atletico do not impress.

It would be a real failure of the management not to build for a 4312. This is the coach favorite system and the reason why he was hired in first place. They had a whole summer to do find one damn second striker.
We will always have a 433 as a plan B as it doesn't look like Suso is going anywhere.

I'm not worried about Correa numbers. He produced more the season before and Simeone uses his wingers in very deep positions in a 442 and they don't score a lot by design - neither Lemar, Vitolo or Koke score much.
What worries me is the price. I can see Milan going to 30-something cause Atleti is not really in need to sell. But he is not a 45-50M player at all.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
It would be a real failure of the management not to build for a 4312. This is the coach favorite system and the reason why he was hired in first place. They had a whole summer to do find one damn second striker.

+1 Exactly.

Schedule