Mihajlovic - Boban clash

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Totti, Maldini, Canna, Olic, Barbarez, Šuker, Gatu, Buffon, Pirlo, Zambro & Nesta
Siniša relishes bad boy reputation
Wednesday 1 December, 2004 (Football Italia).

Siniša Mihajlovic fully admits he enjoys being a controversial figure and launches into an attack on Zvonimir Boban, Juventus and the press.
“I have often asked myself why I am considered unlikeable,” said the Inter defender. “I don’t suppose it really matters, as the important thing is that people talk about me. Even criticism gives you extra motivation.”
Former Lazio man Mihajlovic has done his best to fuel a ‘bad boy’ reputation, running into long UEFA bans after hurling a racist insult at Arsenal’s Patrick Vieira and then spitting at Adrian Mutu during their game with Chelsea.
“I have been in Italy for a long time and am ready to buy anyone a drink if they can think of a story that hasn’t been written about me,” he smiled. “At Lazio they also used to say every goal conceded was my fault, but I have broad shoulders and am used to being criticised.”
Yet he reacted angrily this week when former Milan star Zvonimir Boban, now a pundit for Italian television, claimed Mihajlovic should retire.
“I didn’t expect Boban to say these things. We’ve known each other since I was seven years old and perhaps he was harsh because I am a Serb and he is a Croat. From now on when someone asks him about Mihajlovic, he’d do well to say ‘no comment.’”
When he was signed on a free transfer from Lazio this summer, many suggested he was there purely as Coach Roberto Mancini’s representative in the dressing room and unofficial assistant manager. However, he has slowly worked his way into the first team at the expense of Marco Materazzi.
“Everyone is a first team player in this squad and we are all on the same level,” insisted the 35-year-old. “The important thing is to be ready and help out when you can. Inter’s defensive record cannot only be blamed on the defence, as the whole team has to work hard.”
The Nerazzurri showed both sides of their character on Sunday night, going 2-0 down to Juventus before grabbing a 2-2 draw in the final stages.
“If the game had carried on for another ten minutes then we would have beaten the Bianconeri,” insisted Mihajlovic. “Our only problem is one of balance and concentration. This moment can’t carry on forever, so we set out to win the Scudetto and, until that is mathematically out of the question, will continue to strive for that aim.”
Juan Sebastian Veron returned to full training today and should be available to face Messina on Saturday evening, but Emre and Giuseppe Favalli are likely to miss out.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
mihajlovic is a dick.

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
I never liked that guy

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Siniša Mihajlovic is probally the presisdent of the Splitting Club... rumor has it that Totti has recently been promoted to vice

Mihajlovic is a crack head, he is a disgrace to football and the old fart should take Bobans opinion and piss off

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Another Serb-Croat pissing contest... how LAME :o I thought Boban was smarter.

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Totti, Maldini, Canna, Olic, Barbarez, Šuker, Gatu, Buffon, Pirlo, Zambro & Nesta
Passion for *9* said:
Another Serb-Croat pissing contest... how LAME :o I thought Boban was smarter.

That's why we still have a lot of problems in former YU republics, looks like hateness is never gonna stop and we'll never live in peace, how FUCKED UP!

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
Mihajlovic has never played with a full deck. I remember greatly admiring his play when Red Star captured that CL (The Serbs were by far the best footballing nation in the world at this time. The inevitable split saw the Croatians leave, and we know the rest. A unified side would have surely won Euro 92). Anyhow, when he moved to Roma and I was able to see him first hand, week-in-and-out, I knew he was going to be a problem. It has never stopped. Unfortunately, the guy has been a solid player for many years. But his antics and idiotic nature (and the fact that he is now a Nerazzurro) have forever tarnished him in many circles.

Boban will always be a legendary figure in my eyes. I think he did nothing other than offer an honest assessment. Mihajlovic's play this season has reflected that of a washed up 35 year old goat.

Last edited:

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I have no doubt about Sinisa being a dickhead, but why would Boban single him out as a retirement candidate ? Would he make the same bold demands regarding Maldini ? Of course not. Not only do I hate such inconsistencies :tongue: , but it would be sad if it indeed was not only perceived but also meant as a little anti-Serbian sideswipe, for nationalistic crap like this I have little tolerance.

milan03

Banned
Reaction score
think we should sign him.....get another stupid old defender

Rivaldo-11

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rivaldo, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta
Well, Sinisa is a bit of a wierdo........and IMO lol he should retire :D.

Boban said it well

~Biski Biskit~

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
None, but thinking of some.
I have always admierd both of these players. I always liked Sinisa because he was born in my city and he also went to school with my dads good friend. More reasons to like him: he played for my favourite then Yugoslavian team- Red Star.

Yes, I do agree that he can be very annoying, unfair and agressive at times, but that's just him, you can never change the player otherwise you loose their skills. ;)

The Boban comments, well I agree with him as much as I would like to see Mihajlovic play on. I think that Inter do have better defenders than him. I don't think this was anything to do with the two players nationalities.

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Skippy said:
Siniša is a LEGEND u just dont know it!!!!!!! :D

He is, but his attidute stinks!

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Skippy said:
oh well, at least he can stand up for him self, not a coach or someone else, he is the man ;)

That doesn't have to do anything with this situation.
Believe me, if someone else said what Boban have, he Siniša wouldn't make a scene about it. Me and you especially know why this is true what I'm sayin'.

I wish it can be different already! The war was finished 8 years ago! We shall all move on and start thinking about future instead of goin' back to past, which doesn't do any good to ex Yu people.

S

superman_1899

Mihajlovic is an ass.. plus not worth talking about!!!

~Biski Biskit~

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
YUGOSLAVIAN said:
I wish it can be different already! The war was finished 8 years ago! We shall all move on and start thinking about future instead of goin' back to past, which doesn't do any good to ex Yu people.

Man, do you have any evidence that Boban criticised Mihajlovic only because of his nationality? It is very common to have disputes and criticise players for any reason when you are a TV commentator. What Boban said was true about Sinisa anyway, he just stated the obvious.

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
~Biski Biskit~ said:
Man, do you have any evidence that Boban criticised Mihajlovic only because of his nationality? It is very common to have disputes and criticise players for any reason when you are a TV commentator. What Boban said was true about Sinisa anyway, he just stated the obvious.

No, it's opposite Mihajlovic started the scene 'cause of the nationality, Boban was just being realistic when he said he shouldn't play anymore ;)

~Biski Biskit~

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Oh right then because Boban and Savicevic used to be the best of friends and still are, so I wouldn't have thought Boban would make comments because of Mihajlovic's nationality. :eek:

LOL, anyway, did you know Mihajlovic is half Croatian? Mom is a Croat, dad's a Serb.

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
~Biski Biskit~ said:
Oh right then because Boban and Savicevic used to be the best of friends and still are, so I wouldn't have thought Boban would make comments because of Mihajlovic's nationality. :eek:

LOL, anyway, did you know Mihajlovic is half Croatian? Mom is a Croat, dad's a Serb.

That's how best friends should be : )
You didn't get me again, I'm sayin' that Boban didn't make comments 'cause of Sinišas nationality, he was just telling the truth. And Mihajlovic of course thought it's because he's Serbian, I don't think so. Boban is not like that!

Yes I knew he is half-half. But 'cause his dad is Serbian, then he's supposed to be Serbian only I guess :- ).

~Biski Biskit~

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I understood you perfectly. :)
Boban is well respected on Italian TV and they always back him up and use him for importand big matches. Some achievement, he should come back to Croatia to sort this buckethole of a league.

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
~Biski Biskit~ said:
I understood you perfectly. :)
Boban is well respected on Italian TV and they always back him up and use him for importand big matches. Some achievement, he should come back to Croatia to sort this buckethole of a league.

I know, they all should but ... after all they all go where the money is, even if most of them don't wanna admit it.

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
Well I had never had respect for that player cos' he is a racist and a nationalistic pig.Like Donatelo said even from his days at Red Star you could have seen that this guy would be trouble.There was always something mad in his eyes!!I lost all my respect for this guy after the Vieira incident against Arsenal :head: From that day I can't stand him!

Skippy

Beginner
Reaction score
Guys did u heard that after the game against Messina Mihalovic undergone the dopping test. They must be crazy to test the old horse. Thats just crazy. What do u reckon?

redondo

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona, Rivera, Redondo, Baresi, Riquelme, Aimar, Lucho, Mascherano, Tevez, Maxi, Pupi, Rosales
boban was genio.
i respect him alaways.
nothing wrong in commenting on a player.he is analyst for tv.
but some r making it serbia vs croatia.
they r wrong.
and Mihajlovic feedback to Boban is not serbia vs croatia as detected by
yugoslaviano.some think only negative values.
if Mihajlovic feedback is based on rivalry than Boban is not out of it himself.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Skippy said:
Guys did u heard that after the game against Messina Mihalovic undergone the dopping test. They must be crazy to test the old horse. Thats just crazy. What do u reckon?
I think it's smart. The old horses have to keep up with the young ones + at some point eating your veggies + running your laps won't cut it anymore + some might be tempted to resort to performance enhancers.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Maybe Boban should also say that it's time for his old team mate Billy Costacurta to retire.

Although I never like Sinisa, but in all respect, he's a good player (or was). He once scored 11 goals for Lazio from free kicks and won the Scudetto with them in 99/00 season.

But his beaviour, especially toward racism is stupid. I cherished the scene where Dennis Bergkamp step on his chest and got away with it in WC 98.

As for Sinisa winning the Inter first place at the expense of Materazzi, I never liked Materazzi. He's a stupid (cost Italy and Inter many losses), brutal and ignorant village player. He's the player I hate the most in Inter.

Schedule