Paolo Maldini Thread

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
BTW, from El Pais, Spain, a week ago (all the things in italics are personal thoughts, sorry for the grammar/spelling mistakes):

“Being a defender at Milan is fun” (I guess not so literally translated means the best thing).

He has worn the Milan shirt for 23 seasons, he will leave football next season and he is clear that he won’t become a coach. The Italian defender remembers Baresi as an example, Nils Liedholm as the coach he learned the
most from and Maradona as the best player ever.

Paolo Maldini has 39 years and has been playing 23 years in Milan. He has
played 830 games with the red&black shirt and has won many titles. But in his face there’s no trait of battles. He doesn’t even have a wrinckle. He walks in the little room for interviews in Milanillo, he is wearing jeans, a shirt and a color scarf (I love color scarfs!). He looks like a 25 year old. Next to him, the photographer is adjusting the lights to regulate the intensity of it. Something must be going wrong, cause the room is left in darkness. “It’s broken, we have to change rooms,” suggest an employee of the club. Maldini gets close to the lights and after several try outs he is able to get the light back on . “You are the captain!”, the employee tells him. “It’s not a matter of being the captain, it’s about not giving up the first time!”, he answers (take the advice people).

Q. ¿What’s the first thing you think of when you just wake up?
A. If there’s sun or not. For me it’s important because if it’s raining my knees and articulations feel it. They hurt (ok, so he is old). So I wake up, open the window blind to see if I can start the day with good vibes. If I have them, I dedicate the morning to my stuff because now we train in the afternoon.

Q. What stuff?
A. When I wake up soon, I take the kids to school. If not, I enjoy the house or do my personal stuff (totally get him).

Q. Football has never been your first thought of the day?
A. Just indirectly. I’m more focus on the weather, from it depends if I can train better or worse.

Q. Milan isn’t exactly the most sunny city in the world. How have you been able to sep in such a high level for 23 years?
A. Playing in a big team helps a lot cause you play in important competitions and that stimulate you constantly. In a small team I would probably not lasted that long because without goals it’s impossible to keep going on. But I believe that the secret lies in how much you want to play and above everything the pleasure that is for you to play.

Q. You started playing at a really young age. Did you had time to study?
A. I had it till I became a professional. I debuted at age 16 and the first season I try to divide myself between football and school. But I only lasted for 6 months: that was impossible. I left it to dedicate myself entirely to football. If it’s already hard for a 16 year old kid, it was even more if yoy have to divide it with school. I had to wake up early, take the subway cause I did not have a drivers license, take the book bag, and a bag with the training cloth. It was too hard.

Q. Did you ever regret not having study?
A. TBH, no. I think one has time to read, inform, and get knowledge. Having become a footballer I don’t think I’m missing a piece of paper.

Q. Your older son has follow the family tradition and plays (as a LB) in the youth squads. When he comes back from training does he tells you the same stories you told your father?
A. More or less they are the same. There’s just one difference: the personality. I was really closed, I didn’t like to talk. My son, thankfully, is different and I don’t even have to ask him, he just tells me everything. It’s an advantage for me, cause that way I can help him out. Generally when he comes back from training he is more relaxed than when he comes from school cause he has understood that at 11 the preoccupations are not in the football field but in the classroom.

Q. Was it hard to have a father who was a both a coach and a player?
A. Yes, cause they talked a lot about my last name. The most incredible thing is that Cesare has not only been a father and a footballer, he was also my coach in the under-21, in the NT and even at Milan. So 15 years after my debut in Serie A, I still saw him there. I couldn’t free myself. However I believe that it was harder for me in the beggining, when some years pass, neither him nor I had anything to demonstrate.

Q. Some months ago, your father confesad that he did not gave you everything you deserved cause he was afraid that people would have talked about you as a daddy’s boy. Did you notice it?
A. It’s normal that he thought that. But I didn’t suffer. In fact, I prefer that he treated me with some coldness. In some way it was me who wanted to protect him. People talk without knowing. For example in the under 21 I had already played before my dad was the coach, so I didn’t had to demonstrate that I deserved to be there.

Q. Your father retired before you were born. What did he told you about that Milan?
A. Very little, eventhough he was the first Milan player to lift the European Cup. I haven’t been able to inform myself too much either: firstly because when I was little I had lots of curiosity ( I guess it was a typo in el Pais and he said he wasn’t curious) and secondly because there’s no many images from that time. He did talk to me about his teammates..

Q. Who did he talked about the most?
A. Nils Liedholm. They were teammates and he told me he was a great footballer, that placed everywhere in the field and everyone fell in love with his personality. I understood that years later when he was my coach. He was incredible.

Q. Why?
A. Cause he was an extremely important person for football. He was the coach I learned the most from. He taught me that to be a footballer you need technique, personality and most importantly, that football is a game.

Q. Liedholm made you debut. Do you remember what he said that day in 1985?
A. To be calmed. He knew perfectly that I had a lot of preassure because I was the “son of”. He confesed me that he would have made me debut 5 months earlier but he saw all the crazyness the media started and he prefer to save me from it. I had played a friendly on thursday and the media were waiting for me to debut the next sunday. Liedholm wanted to wait, I think he got scared a little and he tried to made me feel confortable. To the point that no one was waiting for my debut and he send me to get ready to come in and asked me were I prefer to play.

Q. It was in the RB. You never played that position afterwards.
A. Yes, but that day there wasn’t an alternative. He subbed the RB.

Q. You had placed all your life as a LB being right footed. Has it been hard to adapt?
A. A little yes. But it’s a matter of getting used to it. Besides, even if I didn’t had Ambidexterity, I was close to have it. In the youth teams I always played in the right, but I always tried to use both legs. I got better with the years

Last edited:

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Q. You never had special trainings for that?
A. With Sacchi every training was special.

Q. Why did he made you train with shirts of 6 different colors?
A. It’s called psychokinetic: you try to reason when your physically tired and have the ball between your feet. It’s impossible for me to explain it, so picture how hard is to do it.

Q. Was the transition pos Sacchi hard?
A. No. The methods changed. But the players were the same. It was a matter of getting use to Capello. Just when he arrived, there was a big reinforcement policy. And that was the strongest team, en quantity and quality that Milan has had. We missed out on luck in some European finals, if not, we would have been invincible.

Q. How were the methods of each of them?
A. Team management is always something very personal that depends on believes and experience of each person. Arrigo Sacchi was a workaholic. He talked about football every single tour of the day, he didn’t let you get disconnected nor breath. He always wanted that you were thinking about the next training session and the next game. Fabio Capello has been a footballer and knows perfectly well that there’s periods in which a player needs to think about other stuff because if not, by midseason he is mentally burned.

Q. And Ancelotti?
A. It’s the perfect mix of both although his carácter is completly different. What makes him special is the relationship he has with the players. He has also been adapting day by day to the new times. Football has change radically since he was a player and he evolves constantly in that matter.

Q. In what has football changed more in the past 20 years?
A. Physically it’s not the same. The level of physical demand is tremendous. Today’s football is very physical and very tactical. The good thing is that the differences are still made by the technical ability, the personality and the talent of the players.

Q. The thing that still happens is the violence in calcio.
A. I think it’s a social issue. Football in this case is just a excuse to get with other delinquents.

Q. Guardiola said that Cruyff’s Barça reminded him of Sacchi’s Milan ( how dare he?): Baresi, Van Basten, Ancelotti, Rijkaard, Tassotti...When you have a coach that discovers football as a game and tells you why you win or lose, you get cheered up and you want to handle those keys.
A. I looked that thing about football being just a game more in Liedholm. But of course, he did not had that super team that Sacchi had. The luck that Milan has had in the last 20 years is having create a team with a solid base. That’s what Sacchi and Capello found. It’s true that they had given us a lot, but the victorious cycle of Milan started with 4 super stronge defenders + MVB and Gullit.

Q. You placed as a fullback and as a CD. In the field it is seen as something different?
A. Yes. As a CD you dominate everything and if you have the qualities to do so, you can play with both of your feet. As a fullback, you have to look for your teammates, and the side you are playing in. That puts some limitations in your game.

Q. For what Rijkaard says you were a peculiar defender. He says you didn’t talk too much in the field.
A. It’s normal. I was always one of the youngest ones. Eitherway, Rijkaard also talked little, he was always one that thought of his things and didn’t mess in anyone else’s business. Outside of the field he was more open ( the literal translation from my spanish, would be horny, but I guess in Spain that word-cachondo- has a different meaning), I laughed a lot with him, and in the field he was very physical. A modern footballer who knew how to attack + defend. He was lazy...he gave everything in the trainings if something he didn’t like happened he just made faces, even if he didn’t protest, he left it clear that it wasn’t of his liking.

Q. You have had to scream to someone...
A. I have never scream at anyone. And if I have it’s in full stadiums so that they could hear me. For example, with Baresi we got to know each other perfectly, we learned every mechanism and we didn’t need to talk. Eitherway, the communication in the field counts, but to a certain point. Of course with the years and wearing the Captain’s armband, things change and maybe the best is to let yourself be felt.

Q. It seems, by watching you play, that you enjoy playing as a defender.
A. Michel also told me that one day. It’s true, but I have also enjoyed going forward. The 2 first years in the youth teams of Milan I played as a winger, and that helped me out a lot. The goal is the objective of every player, doesn’t matter where he plays. I have had luck to play in a team that makes very attacking football and to have had coaches that gave me the freedom to go forward and that has been fun. When I first started playing as a CD I have had the opportunity to show my defensive characteristics.

Q. Do you see yourself in Facchetti?
A. I don’t know. I have seen very little of him to be able to see me reflected in him. For sure he has been one of the first modern footballers: the first defender that went forward and scored goals.

Q. Who has been your example in the field?
A. Franco Baresi. He was the one who taught me to behave and the one that tought me about having will to keep on.

Q. Baresi says that you were imposible to get passed by in the one vs one and that he only say you in dificulty once. Against Maradona.
A. I have found myself in dificulty several times and with a lot of other players. But Maradona was the most impredictable player ever, and the strongest player I have ever faced.

Q. Messi can reach his greatness?
A. Maybe. He is a phenomenon, with the ball on his feet he does amazing stuff. But what Maradona had was an incredible personality which he transmited to everyone else. If Messi achieves that, he can reach him.

Q. And Van Basten?
A. He is the closest one to Maradona, even when playing in different positions. Something curious happen to me with Marco. Playing with him, I saw his virtues and his defects, but when we were rivals, in the NT, I only saw virtues. His football was beautiful.

Q. You have received little cards. Being correct is something you learn or you get passed on?
A. I think it depends on the carácter. You have to be able to control your instincts. We all have weakness and sometimes the reactions are unexpected. I have gone through it too. But I always tell my kids that if you give respect, you get respect.

Q. Remember the last time you got sent off?
A. [Thinks for several seconds]. Ten years ago. With Materazzi, there’s no need to say anything else ( it makes me look like a fan girl, but I’m pretty sure it was like 4-5 seasons ago, against a team like Ascoli) .

Q. Who was your idol as a kid?
A. Bjorn Borg, who was very silent while playing tenis, and Edwin Moses, who always won the 400mts. I liked the sport figures that were winners.

Q. The biggest regret?
A. The NT. I’ve lived wonderful experiences there but haven’t won anything. Es la vida: no se puede tener todo.

Q. What does Cannavaro have more than you to have gotten a Ballon D’Or?
A. A WC. And it ain’t easy winning it. He deserved it. Sometimos you have to be good in the right moment. It’s not that I wasn’t, I’ve lost a WC in pk’s and a Eurocup in the last minute, it’s simple a matter of being at the right moment in the right time.

Q. Who has been the best defender ever?
A. Everyone says Franz Beckenbauer, but I saw him play very little. In the last 25 years for me, the strongest one has been Baresi. He was one of the most complete.

Q. Do you follow the Spanish League?
A. Yes. Sergio Ramos is really good. He plays as a CD, a fullback, he is strong phisically and has personality. Right now he is the best defender in Europe.

Q. In 2008 you finish your contract. What will you do next?
A. I have 6 months left, so I’ll have time to decide. What I have really clear is that I won’t be coaching. I don’t like it at all and I want to do things I like once I leave football. I have never changed city being a player and I won’t do it now becoming a coach ( that’s a loving statement for Milan, the city ).

Translated by myself, taken from: http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/Ser/defensa/Milan/gozada/elpepudep/20071126elpepidep_22/Tes

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
@crazy4milan

Cheers for taking the time to post that pal. Good read.

Marcus

Costacurta Groupie
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Costacurta, Pazzini, MENEZ
Thanks for the translation, I always love to read what Maldini has to say. Great interview.

Rosanna03

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MALDINI, Pirlo
crazy4milan said:

You translated this by yourself? WOW this is so awesome. Great job.
Thank you so much for your efforts, I love it always to read interviews from Paolo.
You made my day, mate ;)

I will write to Santa Claus and ask him for some more christmas presents for you.:star:

Cheers mate ;)

Besfort said:
Paolo Maldini has the highest ranking for defenders, in Golden Ball award, which means the Best Defender in The World. :star:

Just noticed that.
Paolo is and always will be simply the best. :star:
FORZA GRANDE CAPITANO :proud: :proud: :proud:

Last edited:

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
You're welcome guys.
Rosanna03 said:
I will write to Santa Claus and ask him for some more christmas presents for you.:star:
Thanks!

menon_inc

¤ I Still Believe ¤
Reaction score
This is from tribalbullshit but its taken from an italian paper.

AC Milan's Maldini considers retirement after Japan

AC Milan captain Paolo Maldini could make a shock retirement announcement during their Club World Championships campaign in Japan.
Corriere dello Sport says Maldini is considering hanging up his boots after this month's tournament due to knee problems.

source: **************.com - December 06, 2007

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Probably not true bug if we win it,could be a nice one for him,to retire on top of the world:D

vashil

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona,Nesta,Sheva,Pirlo, Gattuso,Crespo,Riquelme, Sneijder,Sergio Ramos,Beck,aguero
Az. said:
Probably not true bug if we win it,could be a nice one for him,to retire on top of the world:D

moreover if he retires :cry: :cry: :cry: Milan would have to buy another defender :) hope he does not retire!!!!

Andromeda

^AC.Milan Girl^
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini
he will be retire after this season.. otherwise it isn't good for Milan either.i am his big fan but i will be choose the best for team.bring another young defender Berlusconi..and for Paolo.. hope he will get another job in Milan like Billy does.but maybe not as a coach because he doesn't want too.. as a talent scout perhaps? :)

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
menon_inc said:
This is from tribalbullshit but its taken from an italian paper.

AC Milan's Maldini considers retirement after Japan

AC Milan captain Paolo Maldini could make a shock retirement announcement during their Club World Championships campaign in Japan.
Corriere dello Sport says Maldini is considering hanging up his boots after this month's tournament due to knee problems.

source: **************.com - December 06, 2007
F. you Tutto*sport (no he isn't going to, at least not till I see him play live).

Besides, I haven't prepared myself for this moment, I was waiting for 2008 to arrive and then prepare myself. He said his last game was going to be in Moscu next May, and I trust his words more than news based on no fundation. Besides, he isn't going to leave football without annoucing it previewsly to Milan fans with a lot of anticipation.

I'm in denial.

And I just found this

Milan, Maldini smentisce il ritiro
06.12.2007 13.36 di Giuseppe Di Napoli articolo letto 1 volte
Stamane sui principali quotidiani sportivi nazionali compariva la notizia di un imminente annuncio del difensore Paolo Maldini (39) all'indomani della finale del Mondiale per Club: il difensore del Milan ha categoricamente smentito quest'eventualità. Lo si apprende dall'edizione odierna di Studio Sport.

Maldini denies (he is also in denial) the rumours of his retirement after the CWC.

Last edited:

Rosanna03

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MALDINI, Pirlo
This cannot be true. I'm really shocked.
I'm really scared.
But on the other hand I cannot believe that he would make his last match that far away from San Siro and that he didn't say anything to us about it before.
God, please let this not be true :(

Rosanna03

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MALDINI, Pirlo
crazy4milan said:
I'm in denial.

And I just found this

Milan, Maldini smentisce il ritiro
06.12.2007 13.36 di Giuseppe Di Napoli articolo letto 1 volte
Stamane sui principali quotidiani sportivi nazionali compariva la notizia di un imminente annuncio del difensore Paolo Maldini (39) all'indomani della finale del Mondiale per Club: il difensore del Milan ha categoricamente smentito quest'eventualità. Lo si apprende dall'edizione odierna di Studio Sport.

Maldini denies (he is also in denial) the rumours of his retirement after the CWC.

Do you have a source for it? Is this real?

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I can't see Maldini retiring after a tournament far away from home. He'll definitely see out the rest of the season.

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Maldini has denied it on Sky Italia and even said he may continue after this season.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Rubbish.
When Maldini publicly comes out and announces it then I will believe it.

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
DSM said:
Maldini has denied it on Sky Italia and even said he may continue after this season.
Is he going to continue until he needs a walker?

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
DSM said:
Ok, now he is pushing it a little bit (as much as I want him to stay, as Maldini has been playing for Milan even before I was born, and I can't picture football without him, he should retire at the end of this season).

Rosanna03

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MALDINI, Pirlo
Viene girata, per un commento, a Paolo Maldini la voce in base alla quale avrebbe in animo di ritirarsi dal calcio subito dopo la conclusione del Mondiale per Club: “Non ho assolutamente questa intenzione, ho firmato fino al 30 giugno 2008 e quella sarà la fine della mia carriera.

Source: acmilan.com

Paolo has absolute not the intention to retire after the CWC. He will play until june 2008 and then retire. :star:

I believe Paolo's words much more than the shit in the newspapers.

Armin__m

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
>>rossoneri<<
i`m glad he`s staying with us until june,that`s just fine,not more and not less than that..

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
No doubt in my mind that the rumour was a crock of shit.

Armin__m

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
>>rossoneri<<
i watched this video before,a great tackle really..

Andromeda

^AC.Milan Girl^
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini
inomilan said:
i dunno if u guys saw dis already, but dis is Seedorf getting owned by Paolo's son!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXpPD3FpxIg&feature=related

i saw this also before.. but everytime i see it again i could see Daniel lifts the CL trophy like Paolo and Cesare did.maybe in 20 years again this dream will comes true ;) the next Maldini we can see maybe Christian 1st..how old is he?

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Christian is 12, I believe. He currently plays for Milan's junior side.

Andromeda

^AC.Milan Girl^
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini
A DIFFERENT STORY
12/14/2007 11:17:00 AM
There are no point of contacts between Sunday’s final and that of 2003. This was stated more than once by Paolo Maldini, who spoke about the enthusiasm of the Japanese, Kaka and the Club World Cup competition formula.

YOKOHAMA – Milan returned at the sports centre of Yokohama F. Marinos, the “Marinos Camp”, after two days of absence: on Wednesday the training at the stadium and yesterday the semi-final. Today, just before the start of the session, Paolo Maldini spoke: “In the past years, at the question of what I would like to still reach in the football world, I often spoke about the return to Tokyo, because this is presence has a value, you arrive here if you win the Champions League. Boca tried the long balls? We already noticed it by watching the quarter final between our opponents and the Tunisian side Etoile du Sahal. It’s a characteristic which they have and that they will try to take advantage of against us. We must be prepared."

The other issues: "Here in Japan there’s so much enthusiasm towards me that it almost embarrasses me. I notice it also from the many shirts with my name which I see outside the hotel of our training camp. The applause of Platini yesterday? It pleases me, maybe he pays me these tributes for a certain spirit we share, as we have played against each other various times. It’s quite nice to talk about, in this country and this occasion, of the nice gestures and enthusiasm seen, where often in football you only talk about scandals and problems. The atmosphere of last night’s game was very particular. Their ‘curva’ was very noisy, more than ours. In fact, usually in Japan the home advantage does not count from the public point of view. The Argentinean fans? We saw them, on Sunday they will sing throughout the entire game. So far there haven’t been any nice games? We knew that from the technical point of view, the game which had to give most was the last one, the final, with the clash between the European and South American team. However, let's remember that it will be a final, and we can’t always expect that it’s a nice game. In this tournament, I was surprised by the Mexican teams. They are strong but here in Japan they fail to shine. At first I wasn’t in favour of this formula, but now, living it, I think it is well guessed."

Then the issue becomes Kaka: “Him and Van Basten,” started Paolo Maldini, "Are different players, but Kaka has reached extraordinary levels: even though he played little, he has already won a World Cup, then with Milan he did extraordinary things. As an emblem I certainly see Van Basten in him. The captain’s armband? There is no exact rule in the clubs, whereas in the national team, whoever has more caps is the captain. In a club team you become captain also according to the evaluation of the club, coach and the team’s sensations. Milan has not yet decided in six months time when I will conclude my career, but I know that there will be a democratic discussion. Up till this moment we spoke between us, the previous night during dinner. Me? Surely, even I will give my opinion. Being the captain means occupying yourself of many aspects of the team."

The final words are on Boca Juniors: “This game is a different story from 2003, just like at Athens between Milan and Liverpool was a different story than Istanbul. Boca is a classic Argentinean team, it has it’s trade mark, that of Boca. They have a slow rhythm, they play on that too, they aim on making you lose the rhythm. Differently than 2003, we maybe feel more that game. After all, also thanks to the influence of our Brazilians who want to do very well in this game, the importance of the Club world Cup title is felt even more. It’s a competition which keeps on growing.”

acmilan.com

Il'Capitano :proud:

Rosanna03

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MALDINI, Pirlo
Another great victory for the best capitano in the world.
Is is always such a wonderful feeling to see Paolo lift up another trophy.
Always caused a lot of tears by myself.
Milan take care that this won't be Paolo's last one.
We have to thank God for blessing us with Paolo Maldini :proud: :star:

Meanwhile, Paolo confirmed once again he will continue until June 2008.
16/12/2007 - 13:48
MILAN CAMPIONE, MALDINI FIERO RINGRAZIA
YOKOHAMA (Giappone) - "Credo sia difficile arrivare a giocare a 39 anni in una grande squadra come il Milan". Paolo Maldini è orgoglioso di sè e del suo Milan per il titolo di Campione del Mondo conquistato in finale contro il Boca Juniors. Il capitano rossonero ha continuato ringraziando i colori rossoneri: "Questa società mi ha dato la possibilità di giocare per qualcosa di importante, sono soddisfatto di quello che ho fatto". Poi la rivelazione su quando appenderà gli scarpini al chiodo: "A giugno sicuramente smetterò, faccio fatica, mi diverto ancora ma il dolore sta prendendo il sopravvento"
calciomercato.it

Schedule