Week 23: Inter - Milan 09/02/2020 20:45 CET

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
easy 3 points

previous game

Milan vs Inter 0:2 (49' Brozovic, 78' Lukaku)

Milan: Donnarumma; Conti, Musacchio, Romagnoli, Rodriguez (72' Hernandez); Kessie, Biglia, Calhanoglu (64' Paqueta); Suso; Piatek, Leao (82' Rebic); (4312)
coach: Marco Giampaolo

Inter: Handanovic; Skriniar, Vrij, Godin; Asamoah, Sensi, Brozovic, Barella, D'Ambrosio; Lukaku, Martinez; (352)
coach: Antonio Conte

Last edited:

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
First time I actually don't have any hope of beating them. I would gladly take a draw. Pathetic mind set from a Milanista, but it is what it is. Handanovic finally not playing against us. Seriously if they didnt have him last couple of years they'd be battling the bottom 3 table.

Meh, we can always brag how much more successfull we are and how they always, no matter what, will live in our shadow.

Forza Milan!!!

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
No Handanovic or Lautaro. We have Bennacer back and neither Roma or Musa suspended Kjaer and Ibra likely to be fit as well.

I'd say if we do have a chance it's this game. If we can hit the target more often maybe we can score since there's no super Handanovic miracles.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
No Handanovic or Lautaro. We have Bennacer back and neither Roma or Musa suspended Kjaer and Ibra likely to be fit as well.

I'd say if we do have a chance it's this game. If we can hit the target more often maybe we can score since there's no super Handanovic miracles.

Lets hope for the best. Leao will have a key role in this game. Lets hope he has a good day because we need his dribbles and ability to confuse their defence. If he has a bad day he'll dissapear during the game and we'll be too static.

Rebic, Leao and Noodle all three need to be top notch. Zlatan is zlatan. Bennacer is Bennacer.

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
I'd like to see something like this

Defending

They key to controlling Inter's buildup progression is stopping 2 players.....Brozovic and De Vrij

Brozovic must have someone hounding him for the entire game, and that will probably take two players over 90 minutes considering how much ground he covers per game (2nd season in a row with the highest distance covered per game)

When you occupy Brozovic, De Vrij is very good on the ball and can step out of defence.....this is where Zlatan will have to do a serious job that I'm not sure is quite in his capability.

Force them to build play through the wider CB's and our wingers need to use their cover shadow to block passes to their wingbacks, and press them into playing it long. It'll be exceedingly difficult for them to play it to anywhere other than the head of their strikers from that position as the amount of bodies between them and the strikers will be too many for a lower pass.

I'm confident in Romagnoli to win most of the aerial challenges against Lukaku. Lukaku's strengths are finishing and running into the channels between CB and LB. He doesn't use his huge body well and he's quite big for nothing (although this season he has improved this part of his game alot). Musacchio should be thankful that he's playing against Sanchez as he will finally play against someone he can win aerial challenges against.

It is usually from the wingbacks that they play directly into the strikers and look to combine there. This is where the danger is....as we will be 2 vs 2 with their strikers and the opposite side of the field will be very open for a switch of play of which our ball far winger will need to be very aware as soon as Inter's ball near wingback gets the ball to get goalside of their ball far wingback. Samu can do this job, Rebic I'm not so sure.

Overall.....mid block, avoid a high line to negate Lukaku's pace, press their deep buildup and stop balls to the wingbacks as much as possible. We will have one or two question marks defensively re Ibra, and Rebic but we should have enough to control them decently.

Attacking

This is far easier to analyze

Attack them in the wide channels between wingback and CB as neither Skriniar nor Godin are comfortable defending these spaces. Godin lacks the mobility to face the pacy wingers that play in that zone and Skriniar has a tendency to dive into challenges so his lack of pace isn't exposed.

Zlatan should get change out of De Vrij aerially, so if they disrupt our deep buildup as I expect they will, then we will have to win the second ball after a Zlatan aerial duel.

Overall it should be an interesting game and both sides have flaws in both phases of the game that are pretty clear. Looking forward to it.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Good luck Alo!

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
14 #DerbyMilano giocati in casa dell'#Inter dalla stagione 2005/2006:

10 vittorie per i nerazzurri
3 pareggi
1 vittoria #Milan (0-1 #Ibrahimovic, 14 novembre 2010)

#InterMilan

I knew it was bad, but this is fucking pathetic.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
0-1 Milan (Skriniar deflection of a Calhanoglu shot 72’)

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players

A_Wild_Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
---------Musa-Kjaer-Roma

Samu-----Ben----Kessie------Theo

------------------Hakan

------------------Ibra---Rebic

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Ibra is gonna be fired up like hell.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
we should roll with a 3-4-1-2 for this game. inter have a great midfield and 2 strikers who can exploit the middle. Conversely they don't have stellar wide play so I think putting more bodies in the center of the field is smarter for us this game

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
---------Musa-Kjaer-Roma

Samu-----Ben----Kessie------Theo

------------------Hakan

------------------Ibra---Rebic

Slowly but surely people are coming around to my suggested 3-4-1-2 for this current team :) nice! I dig it

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Ibra is gonna be fired up like hell.

Not always a good thing...

Defending

They key to controlling Inter's buildup progression is stopping 2 players.....Brozovic and De Vrij

Brozovic must have someone hounding him for the entire game, and that will probably take two players over 90 minutes considering how much ground he covers per game (2nd season in a row with the highest distance covered per game)

When you occupy Brozovic, De Vrij is very good on the ball and can step out of defence.....this is where Zlatan will have to do a serious job that I'm not sure is quite in his capability.

Force them to build play through the wider CB's and our wingers need to use their cover shadow to block passes to their wingbacks, and press them into playing it long. It'll be exceedingly difficult for them to play it to anywhere other than the head of their strikers from that position as the amount of bodies between them and the strikers will be too many for a lower pass.

I'm confident in Romagnoli to win most of the aerial challenges against Lukaku. Lukaku's strengths are finishing and running into the channels between CB and LB. He doesn't use his huge body well and he's quite big for nothing (although this season he has improved this part of his game alot). Musacchio should be thankful that he's playing against Sanchez as he will finally play against someone he can win aerial challenges against.

It is usually from the wingbacks that they play directly into the strikers and look to combine there. This is where the danger is....as we will be 2 vs 2 with their strikers and the opposite side of the field will be very open for a switch of play of which our ball far winger will need to be very aware as soon as Inter's ball near wingback gets the ball to get goalside of their ball far wingback. Samu can do this job, Rebic I'm not so sure.

Overall.....mid block, avoid a high line to negate Lukaku's pace, press their deep buildup and stop balls to the wingbacks as much as possible. We will have one or two question marks defensively re Ibra, and Rebic but we should have enough to control them decently.

Attacking

This is far easier to analyze

Attack them in the wide channels between wingback and CB as neither Skriniar nor Godin are comfortable defending these spaces. Godin lacks the mobility to face the pacy wingers that play in that zone and Skriniar has a tendency to dive into challenges so his lack of pace isn't exposed.

Zlatan should get change out of De Vrij aerially, so if they disrupt our deep buildup as I expect they will, then we will have to win the second ball after a Zlatan aerial duel.

Overall it should be an interesting game and both sides have flaws in both phases of the game that are pretty clear. Looking forward to it.

I'm not so sure about all this. I worry about Ibra being so isolated, but I understand the concern in not letting Brozovic be free. I think Pioli did this before with having the SS track the opposition anchor, at least making sure the easy pass to him is blocked. It's basically the same idea as you having Krunic on him but I think someone like Leao or Rebic would do a better job on the break and can be more effective closer to Ibra.

I also highly doubt Hakan will miss this one. He's definitely playing on the left and for good reason.

I think the key for us defensively will be the positional discipline of Bennacer and Kessie. They're going to be constantly taking turns dropping back into the CB zone to make sure we have more bodies in there when we maintain possession, and also to cover for the fullbacks when they push up. I don't think we'll be seeing them press Brozovic at all.

Offensively i'm counting on our fullbacks breaking past their wingbacks and stretching their back three. That's really the only way we can penetrate, mostly pinning my hopes on Theo and Salaemaeker if he plays RB.

I do agree about the defensive line, it should be as low as we can afford to without ceding too much. We'll probably have a few seconds of intense counterpressing when we lose the ball but quickly retreat to a mid-block.

I think we'll play the same sort of 442 we've been playing but probably with Rebic instead of Leao since he can annoy Brozovic a lot more.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn’t isolate Ibra for this either. If we can keep two strikers on the pitch, it will require their back three to stay around them, for numbers purposes. This will allow Milan a numerical advantage out wide, which is also where we can hurt them the most. They don’t have particularly strong fullbacks. Theo on the left and Samu on the right can both beat their man, that will be where we are most dangerous.

I would play Rebic also from the start. Hopefully pioli can get him to hassle Brozovic a little bit, brozovic is everything to them.

Also, just play with intensity. This seems like the fourth season in a row where the derby has the potential to a turning point. Win, and we’re suddenly looking at being closer to top 4 than we thought, and with an unbeaten run this calendar year. Lose and we’re set back yet again. Regardless of the table and all that though, just win a big game for once. Not a team against a big club, but a game where the pressure is mounting and the stakes are higher. At some point we have to win some of these games

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Wonder who Ibra will kick this time.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I tried to hype Leao last game and he sucked.

I think Rebic and Ibra will start. Ibra will get continously bothered by Inters CBs but after 60 Rebic will sub with Leao and I think Leao will win the game with a crazy goal.

Romagnoli MOTM

rocknrolla1v1

FORZA MILAN
Reaction score
Bennacer and Bakayoko would've been an amazing duo. Baka went into 12th gear for Milan.. he truly loved us

Schedule