Leonardo Bonucci Thread

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
The opposition was not good enough and match intensity not high enough for the praise he's getting. But hopefully this is a start, since he's looked very shaky until now.

Dawn

Campione d'Mercato
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Albertini, Weah, Nesta, Rino, Kaka, Sheva, Pippo, De Sciglio, El Shaarawy
Terrible game. The more I watch him, the more I think he's just an above average ball-playing defender who is poor at reading the game, positioning, and 1-on-1. He's slow af as well. Playing with great defenders like Chiellini and Barzagli masked many of his weaknesses. 40m looks like a great business for ladri day by day :fp:

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
Positioning isn't his issue. He isn't athletic at all, no jumping, strength or speed. He reads the game well, tends to position himself well and is great at starting plays. He took a while to look good at juve to learn his teammates and I feel it will be similar here for us. The defense needs to learn each other's movements and strengths/weaknesses to click as a unit.

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
Positioning isn't his issue. He isn't athletic at all, no jumping, strength or speed. He reads the game well, tends to position himself well and is great at starting plays. He took a while to look good at juve to learn his teammates and I feel it will be similar here for us. The defense needs to learn each other's movements and strengths/weaknesses to click as a unit.

:fp:

If you arent physical then positioning and reading have to be excellent.

He is far below average physically and his positioning has been terrible. Everytime the opponents move he looks like an amateur who hasnt played football since secondary school.

So the last game wasnt an indicator - he still has it all to show.

Shadow of what he is supposed to represent. Really hope he can turn things around.

Dawn

Campione d'Mercato
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Albertini, Weah, Nesta, Rino, Kaka, Sheva, Pippo, De Sciglio, El Shaarawy
Right now what he's good at is his twitter/instagram game, just like #Dedication in the past :lol:

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Someone should show him Chelsea's game this weekend... How Rudiger blocked shot after shot...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
VWjthNQ.jpg

Dawn

Campione d'Mercato
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Bonucci should drop his trademark tackling technique altogether because it's useless and usually puts the team in dire situations

S61JE3j.gif

3oZG2KR.gif

And work on his positioning

XcoAs8a.gif

ezXshiS.gif

He should also bust his ass more on the field rather than on instagram/twitter

xcki6pA.gif

MZwvHXW.gif

bluenine

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
So much for a defensive leader :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am really surprised by the excessive criticism of Bonucci here. I get the feeling some posters here do not understand what Milan have bought in Bonucci.

Bonucci is a world class Libero, a role which is back in fashion these days. He is possibly the best one on the planet. He is not the best defender or man marker, that is not his role. Libero is a free role in the defence, someone who sets the line and creates counter attacks. But a Libero needs two CBs around him to protect him for this to work. Because the Libero is not the one who typically stops/wins the ball, he is the one who gets the ball out of the defence. Its like having a Pirlo in the defensive line, coz a Libero is to defense what a Regista is to the midfield. Pirlo needed someone like Gattuso next to him. The principle is the same. At Juventus, Bonucci worked very well because he had Barzagli and Chiellini next to him. At Milan for this to work, you need Romagnoli and Musacchio to step up.

Some of you are judging Bonucci purely based on his man marking skills. That premise is just wrong, he is not supposed to be marking anyone. Its like asking Pirlo to be a DM. Not only will he be poor at it, its also a colossal waste of world class talent.

Last edited:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I am really surprised by the excessive criticism of Bonucci here. I get the feeling some posters here do not understand what Milan have bought in Bonucci.

Bonucci is a world class Libero, a role which is back in fashion these days. He is possibly the best one on the planet. He is not the best defender or man marker, that is not his role. Libero is a free role in the defence, someone who sets the line and creates counter attacks. But a Libero needs two CBs around him to protect him and the defence for this to work. Its like having a Pirlo of the defence. Pirlo needed someone like Gattuso next to him. The principle is the same. At Juventus, Bonucci worked very well because he had Barzagli and Chiellini next to him.

Some of you are expecting Bonucci to be a great CB/man marker. That premise is just wrong. Its like asking Pirlo to be a DM. Not only will he be poor at it, its also a colossal waste of world class talent.

:star::thumbsup:

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score

Bonucci is a world class Libero, a role which is back in fashion these days. He is possibly the best one on the planet. He is not the best defender or man marker, that is not his role. Libero is a free role in the defence, someone who sets the line and creates counter attacks. But a Libero needs two CBs around him to protect him for this to work. Because the Libero is not the one who typically stops/wins the ball, he is the one who gets the ball out of the defence. Its like having a Pirlo in the defensive line, coz a Libero is to defense what a Regista is to the midfield. Pirlo needed someone like Gattuso next to him. The principle is the same. At Juventus, Bonucci worked very well because he had Barzagli and Chiellini next to him. At Milan for this to work, you need Romagnoli and Musacchio to step up.

Some of you are judging Bonucci purely based on his man marking skills. That premise is just wrong, he is not supposed to be marking anyone. Its like asking Pirlo to be a DM. Not only will he be poor at it, its also a colossal waste of world class talent.

I get the Libero bit.

What I dont get is the Serie B level defending. Gone are the times when players are only expected to excel at just one role. So are we just suppose to give him a pass everytime he is one on one with a player and fucks up? Wtf is the point of WC libero skills when the CB cannot even defend simple balls?

And in regards to the Libero bit, so far his long balls and passes have been Montoleader quality. So no, he is not excelling at that either. Not to mention, dude just keeps doing it even when a simple pass would be more effective.

I thought he was supposed to be a leader. How can one expect to lead when he cant even bring even a shred of calmness to his main role?

P.S. - Dont call players WC if they can only excel at one fucking thing but cant do their main job properly.

Wanna compare to someone similar that we had? Thiago Fucking Silva. Dude's long balls were absolute class not to mention he could actually defend for a change.

Last edited:

bluenine

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
P.S. - Dont call players WC if they can only excel at one fucking thing but cant do their main job properly.

My definition of world class are players I would pick in a World Squad of 23. And yes, I would pick Bonucci as the libero in that squad, so I will call him world class. And 5 years ago I would have picked Pirlo as the regista, even if he "only excelled at one thing".

Bonucci is not a poor defender, he just needs the right partners around him to do his thing.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
Few weeks back he was being labelled the best cb on the planet :lol:

Fodder a fans never cease to amaze me :proud:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
new page ples

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Libero or not, when you are the last man in defence and you see your opponent about to take a shot, you should at least make a valent effort to block the shot.

Not trying to hate but ... When you're the star signing and a well respected defender, and immediately placed as captain... And Milan and joint serie A top scorer... Criticism should be welcome...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
why is he getting blame when the man responsible is zapata? (and montella)

Y-Bido92

il-Faraone
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Totti, Zidane, R9
why is he getting blame when the man responsible is zapata? (and montella)

First goal is on him for letting it pass, second goal isn’t on him

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
first goal is 100% on zapata, he assisted the other zapata ffs :fp:

Y-Bido92

il-Faraone
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Totti, Zidane, R9
first goal is 100% on zapata, he assisted the other zapata ffs :fp:

It’s also on zapata, but zapata wouldn’t have had to do that had bonucci taken care of it first

MilanMarkus

Starting Eleven
Reaction score

Fully agree, in terms of vision, skill on the ball and his deadly accurate long passes you won't find any CB that's better than him.

I don't think it's fair that he is being ridiculed. We are miles away from being an organized team at this moment, which automatically leaves defense exposed and looking poor.

JacksonReality

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Ironically, the one that keeps talking about hunger, grinta is also the one that showed minimal efforts when duty called :lol:

Ultra Swan

.,.foREVer.,.
Reaction score
Fav. Players
AC Milan
Not good enough, so far.

Don't really care who the Captain is, but I feel giving it to someone that has yet to prove themselves, is a bad idea.

Might've put too much on his plate too soon.

Should've just given it to Abate for the season.

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
He isn't as good as I thought if I'm being honest. He needs to stop thinking he's Pirlo and start playing more simple with the ball. It'd be nice if he actually defended too, starting to really think that 40m would've been spent better elsewhere at the moment. I hope he can regain his former form but he hasn't shown me anything to think he can evelvate the teams level of performance.

Schedule