George Weah Thread

The Jet

Dovieandi se tov'ya sagat
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva-kaka-pele-MVB-Milan Legends
So I was looking through and I was was astonished. How do we not have a Weah thread? He was an awesome player for Milan!
(If we do and I just happen to have incredibly bad eye-site please go easy on me :tongue:)

So anyway here it is, the official George Weah thread, enjoy: :flame:

http://www.benents.it/public/Contenuti/Allegati/George Weah - Paolo Maldini.jpg

George Tawlon Manneh Oppong Ousman Weah (born 1 October 1966) is a Liberian politician and former football forward. He spent 14 years of his professional football career playing for clubs in France, Italy, and England, winning titles in these three countries. In 1995, he was named FIFA World Player of the Year, European Footballer of the Year, and African Footballer of the Year.

Weah is the only FIFA World Player of the Year who failed to qualify for FIFA World Cup with his national team.

Football career:
At the pinnacle of success, Weah moved to Europe in 1988 when he was signed by Arsène Wenger, the manager of Monaco, who Weah credits as an important influence on his career. At Monaco, Weah was a member of the team that won the French Cup in 1991. In the 1990s Weah subsequently played for Paris Saint Germain (1992–95), with whom he won the French league in 1994 and became the top scorer of the UEFA Champions League 1994–95; and AC Milan (1995–1999) :devilfuc:, with whom he won the Italian league in 1996 and 1999. In 1995 he was named European Footballer of the Year and FIFA World Player of the Year. After leaving Milan in January 2000 Weah moved to Chelsea, Manchester City and Olympique Marseille in quick succession, before leaving Marseille in May 2001 for Al Jazira FC, in the United Arab Emirates.

As successful as he was at club level, Weah was not able to bring over that success to the Liberian national team. He has done everything with the squad from playing to coaching to financing it, but failed to qualify for a single World Cup, falling just a point short in qualifying for the 2002 tournament. This has all led to Weah being known as one of the best footballers never to have played in a World Cup.

African Player of the Century:
Weah was voted the African player of the Century by sport journalists from all around the world. This award puts Weah in the company of some of the greatest players to have ever played the game. Pelé won the same award as the South American player of the Century and Johan Cruijff as the European player of the century.

Humanitarianism:
Weah is a devoted humanitarian for his war-torn country. At the 2004 ESPY Awards, he won the Arthur Ashe Courage Award for his efforts. Weah was named by Pelé as one of the top 125 greatest living footballers in March 2004. He has also been named a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, a role which he has suspended while he pursues a political career.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Yellow Tie FTW

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
weah was the first striker i truly jizzed 4. as a youth....i was captivated by him...srsly a hero figure 4 me in my childhood.

weah.... :star: :proud: :star:

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Everytime I see videos of him I start crying. I love the man. :proud::proud: :star:

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Nade this for Jasper over a year ago:

2l8kbax.png

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Whoever helps make Milan untouchable
Can't believe no one here has that clip of him rapping at the Milan event. If I could just find my old burnt CDs :mad:

DugiNesta

the epic #3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini - El Shaarawy - Kaka - Gattuso - Messi
weah was the first striker i truly jizzed 4. as a youth....i was captivated by him...srsly a hero figure 4 me in my childhood.

He surely got swag

george_award.jpg

george_weah31.jpg

The Jet

Reaction score
Fav. Players

Same here man, I loved the guy in the mid-nineties, got me really hooked on Serie A and of course Il Grande Milan.

If anyone could open the link I posted in the intro and post the picture on the thread that would be great. I can't copy/paste it for some reason but its an awesome pic of Weah and Maldini.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Same here man, I loved the guy in the mid-nineties, got me really hooked on Serie A and of course Il Grande Milan.

If anyone could open the link I posted in the intro and post the picture on the thread that would be great. I can't copy/paste it for some reason but its an awesome pic of Weah and Maldini.
George%20Weah%20-%20Paolo%20Maldini.jpg

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Ba, Silva
so many great footballers have kids playing football. Maldini Ba and Weah (I think) :proud:

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
La Gazetta voted Weah's goal in the home game vs Verona (the 3rd goal at the game that Milan eventually won by 4-0) at the opening match of 96/97 season as the best goal ever in Milan's history.

I'm sure some of you already know how it went. The video in several post above might have it. A Verona corner went ashtray and Weah picked the ball inside the Milan penalty box (!) and he dribbled all the way to other side of the box, ball on his feet as he ran across the length of the San Siro pitch. He might got lucky when the ball bounced back to his stride after a defender tried to stop him.

The fact that Verona was 2-0 down before the goal and had probably 7 players inside Milan penalty box as they were looking for a goal to reduce the deficit might contribute to the lack of defending. But it was still magnificent.

Diavolo_7

Il Diavolo Siciliano
Reaction score
One of my favorites from my younger days. I remember having a poster in my room that had Weah and a lion on it. If I only knew where the hell I put it. :proud:

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
My Golden Boy: George Weah

As Golden Ball week concludes on Football Italia, Dave Taylor remembers someone rather special from out of Africa

It was never going to be easy for Milan to replace three-time Ballon d’Or winner Marco Van Basten. Yet not too long after the Dutch legend retired, a player with the bravery of a lion and the pace of a cheetah arrived at San Siro.

Imagine a blend of Gabriel Batistuta, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Mario Balotelli at their best and you get part of the picture that was George Weah in his prime. With his powerful physique, the Liberian soon adapted to the rigours of Italian football, becoming an idol to untold millions of fans around the world as the goals began to flow. Yet, just as importantly, he also became the emblematic leader of the hundreds of African footballers playing in Europe.

“It is almost impossible to explain how much George has done for Liberia,” the country’s sports minister, Wheatonia Dixon-Barnes, told the BBC recently.

King George first of all was and still is a unique individual. Simply put he was more than just a footballing hero, but also a humanitarian. Not many footballers have taken the big step from kicking a ball to shaping the destiny of a nation, but when Weah retired, he turned to politics and narrowly missed being voted President of his country.

Born in poverty in Monrovia in October 1966, George started his career with several local clubs before moving to Europe in 1988 to French side Monaco. After a highly successful first season his Coach at the time, and the current Arsenal boss, Arsene Wenger, said: “Weah was a real surprise. For me it was like a child discovering a chocolate bunny in his garden at Easter. I have never seen any player explode on to the scene like he did.”

Three years after that he joined PSG, helping them win the French League and also becoming the Champions League’s top scorer the following season in 1994-95. In that campaign the Parisian side met Milan in the semi-finals and despite losing 3-0 over both legs, the Rossoneri were so impressed with George they signed him the following summer.

Making his Serie A debut in Padova on August 27, George scored the first and set up the second in the 2-1 win. It was the start of a fabulous six months for him and by the end of 1995, he had won the European Footballer of the Year award, FIFA’s Footballer of the Year and African Footballer of the Year. To cap it all off he helped Milan win their 15th title with 11 goals in 26 games.

Talking about his Golden Ball win he said: “It was a huge tribute for me and for my fans. It showed that I'd worked hard and how much people appreciated me. It was the love I received from all those fans that made me the player I am.”

One of several reasons the Milanisti loved George was for the two Scudetti he helped them win and his amazing 46 goals in 114 games. However, there is one goal that he will always be remembered for, his fabulous solo strike on the first day of the 1996-97 season.

Verona were the visitors on September 8 when he collected the ball inside his own area to score one of the most special goals ever seen. A strike almost rating alongside Diego Maradona’s slalom through the English defence in Argentina’s 1986 World Cup win.

The Gazzetta dello Sport talked about the ‘coast to coast basketball goal’ from every conceivable angle. Covering 85 metres in an amazing 14 seconds, leaving five players in his wake with two crashing into each other, Mr George slammed the ball past a bedazzled Attilio Gregori. However, amazingly enough it was not his favourite. “I think my greatest goal is the one I scored against Bayern Munich in the Champions League,” he revealed.

Eventually leaving Milan in January 2000, Big George retired three years later. Since then a player with his humility, strength, pace, agility and above all humbleness has rarely been seen on the world stage.

Despite his wealth George never lost touch with his poor upbringing, amongst 12 children, whose father was an almost illiterate car mechanic, while his mother sold whatever she could on the streets of Monrovia. He made sure he and his family lived well but his uninhibited generosity on charitable efforts in his home country, many on children’s projects, made him equally as popular as he was successful.

He also became a UNICEF ambassador and has supported Aids prevention programmes, encouraged children to further their education and made public the problems of the countless forgotten child soldiers of Liberia’s 15-year civil war.

In conclusion global sport journalists voted Weah as the African Player of the Century, putting him in the exalted company of two of the world’s greatest ever footballers, Pele and Johan Cruyff. Pele won the South American award while Dutchman Cruyff netted the European version.

And this, plus all his charitable efforts, showed that Big George was one of the most honourable and deserving ever winners of the Ballon d’Or.
The 1995 Golden Ball podium
George Weah (Milan) 144 points
Jurgen Klinsmann (Bayern Munich) 108 points
Jari Litmanen (Ajax) 67 points

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
What a rich history of strikers we can boast to have ... MVB, Weah and Sheva.

I remember watching him back in the day for PSG. Astonishing player in his prime!

Its nice to see a few Africans in Milan after a long time ...

zangetsu

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ash Cole, Nesta, Tiago Silva, Ronaldinho, Pato, Kaka, Essien, David Silva, Kwadwo Asamoah, Ibra,
Simply one of the best 2 strikers of the past 20 years. Ronaldo being the other one, imo

The Jet

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Simply one of the best 2 strikers of the past 20 years. Ronaldo being the other one, imo

Top 2 would be pushing it I think but easily in the top ten!

BrasilianMilan

Eternal Rossonero
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Kaka, Nesta, Seedorf, Romagnoli, Paqueta, Piatek
Ya, Weah is in the top 10 strikers of the past 20 years. He's also one of my favourite African players of all time! :D

zangetsu

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ash Cole, Nesta, Tiago Silva, Ronaldinho, Pato, Kaka, Essien, David Silva, Kwadwo Asamoah, Ibra,
I still say top two. The guy could do it all. ...a rare combination of speed, power,strength, skill, passing, dribbling. Just a complete striker. Kinda like Ronaldo.

Who would be your top 2?

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
didnt see him much but was he better than batigol? or even sheva??

uff113_2000.jpg

Sexxxxxxxxxxxx

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
yes i may have just came home from the bar

its possible that the first thing i decided to do was watch youtube of george weah

yes its possible i was bumping the song in this youtube vid super hard

batigol better than weah???

loooool

batigol is a legend..all time great.
george weah is a legend..all time great...pioneer of epochal proportions...greatest footballer in the history of the 2nd most populous continent on the planet (14% of total planet earth population)

george weah is a milan legend who's own charisma/swag took him to levels of unprecedented influence via fifa partys/political campaigns/humanitarianism/philanthropy

george weah is a man of influence and power...in terms of the entire human race. not 'footballers'. he also happens to be one of the greatest strikers in milan's history. yes berlusconi saw his potential and purchased him to play for the greatest club in the history of sport.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
beastly power :eek:

zangetsu

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weah>Batigol