Official: Ignazio Abate Thread

Raghav

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, R9, Dinho
Very surprised no one hasn’t picked him up yet.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
I wonder if he is waiting for January to sign with Beckham's new team in Miami? Great weather, would make big money.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Another mistake that the management made was letting go of Abate last summer.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
I guess he didn't fit our new age quota, but we really shouldn't had released him. 1 year contract would've been ideal. (Is there still a chance that he's still in form, so we can resign him?)

Would've done a better job than Conti at right back. Can play centre-back and has tons of experience. Now? We're left with inexperienced players and it really shows. We're lacking Abate's presence in the locker room and during training before match day.

Bump

One month later and it's even more true :lol:

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers
please come back

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I thought not selling Kessie and Suso was the biggest mistake last window, but letting him go ranks alongside.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Letting him go was not a mistake, he could barely play anymore and no one's picked him up. Stop with the knee-jerk nonsense.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sure. 8 wins and 1 draw in his last 9 starts for Milan (possibly unmatched by anyone else in modern Milan). Accomplished performances as a right-back and as a center-back in his last 6 months with Milan.

He was a great squad player to have for the club and the only reason we let him go was corporate strategy. I didn't particularly care at that time, but in hindsight it was a stupid move.

Last edited:

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
if he's a free agent can we give him a contract?

AndreiX

AC Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
sometimes
yes, but they probably won't because of pride

we need leaders and a consistent right back. he'd undoubtedly improve our squad but I don't see us bringing him back

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Sure. 8 wins and 1 draw in his last 9 starts for Milan (possibly unmatched by anyone else in modern Milan). Accomplished performances as a right-back and as a center-back in his last 6 months with Milan.

He was a great squad player to have for the club and the only reason we let him go was corporate strategy. I didn't particularly care at that time, but in hindsight it was a stupid move.
Hindsight is always hindsight. The issues we're seeing now are hopefully short term, and considering our need to cut wages, having the RB's would be unnecessary.

I saw some reports during the summer regarding sale of Conti and thought that was the dumbest shit ever, again hindsight. But had we sold him it would have made sense to keep Abate.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I thought not selling Kessie and Suso was the biggest mistake last window, but letting him go ranks alongside.

Hiring Giampaolo was the biggest mistake of them all.
Not getting a proper Bakayoko/Biglia replacement was also a far bigger mistake than not selling Kessie.
Actually, selling Kessie and replacing him with yet another lightweight pseudo-midfielder, like Praet, would've been yet another mistake.

As for Abate, we need him now more than we needed him last season(at RB).
We used to have a part-time CB at LB and a very attack-minded RB, but it's been the reverse this season with Theo.
Now is the time for a RB/RCB like Abate.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Hiring Giampaolo was the biggest mistake of them all.
Not getting a proper Bakayoko/Biglia replacement was also a far bigger mistake than not selling Kessie.
Actually, selling Kessie and replacing him with yet another lightweight pseudo-midfielder, like Praet, would've been yet another mistake.

As for Abate, we need him now more than we needed him last season(at RB).
We used to have a part-time CB at LB and a very attack-minded RB, but it's been the reverse this season with Theo.
Now is the time for a RB/RCB like Abate.

Hiring Giampaolo without the right environment for him was a mistake. Exactly the same mistake Inter did when hiring Gasperini. These guys are excellent managers in very specific environments. If you take that away, they'll flounder.

I wasn't even thinking of the fact that we are currently playing pretty much a 3-man defence with an RB/RCB hybrid. Makes the Abate decision look even more stupid.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Our new Primavera coach.

MEDIA - 05 July 2022

OFFICIAL STATEMENT: IGNAZIO ABATE​

The former Rossoneri defender will take charge of the men's Primavera side​

AC Milan announces that Ignazio Abate will be the new head coach of the Primavera.
Abate, who developed as a player in AC Milan's youth setup, started his coaching career last season with the Rossoneri's U16 team, who he led to the Scudetto final.
The Club wishes Ignazio the best of luck in his new role.
https://www.acmilan.com/en/news/articles/media/2022-07-05/official-statement-ignazio-abate

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
Forza Ignazio! Didn't realise we were in the semi-final of the Uefa Youth Cup.