Hakan Çalhanoğlu Thread

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
played like prime kaka last game, cant believe in my eyes

More like this please - be the 10 we need

I had thrown him on the garbage dump but that performance even though it was Lecce is hopefully the start of a climb and not just a flicker hardly to be seen again.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Am excited to see Hakan perform like this against Roma. Please don't let us down.

Raghav

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, R9, Dinho
Should play every game as free roam attacking mid. He was very good today. Sucks we have no one to control the ball properly or finish in attack

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
He was very good.

voom

Banned
Reaction score
He is a class player,shame that he don't have much players around to play with .I hope Bona can regain his confidence and form.

Milan2012

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Such a useless player. Claims that he’s an attacking player and therefore is given all the positional freedom in attack by Pioli, fuck it we have Theo to cover the whole left side of the pitch so you go be useful wherever you feel comfortable. But he doesn’t have the strength speed or dribbling ability to drive the ball inside the box. But wait, if he gets anywhere near the edge of the box his primal true striker instincts switch on and he losses all sight of his teammates, opponents, fans in the stand, and kebabs at home. It’s just him and the keeper, a death match, and intuitively he hears the eager voice of the side net calling out to him. Too bad the man can’t hit a fast strike on target to save his life. All the man can do is safe back passes or dribble towards our goal, i mean try to take on the fullback or find someone in the middle with a descent cross ffs. But jokes aside Hakan just plays a role as an extra midfielder which can be useful in the case where Bonaventura and Theo push up and an advanced mid of-centered to the left in the case where Bonaventura stays deeper. Theo fills in for him on the wing and the midfield shifts to allocate the space left from the Theo. But at that point we still have a big gap on the left side and all for a player who’s mediocre at best with notably poor potential and physique. I rather give that same role to Leao Rebic or shit even Bonaventura who have potential and better skill going forward in attack. The man is completely misfiring and has been misfiring all season even tho he keeps getting chances, and it really shows in games like today where one goal can set the score.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
hakan is the typical type of player that belongs on a 4-8 place team. will always be average and then have a couple top notch games. not worth it IMO. sell.

Milan2012

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
the day trash like him Suso leave or are dropped from first 11 is the day I will transcend out of my human shell and gain enlightenment. Having to watch him play is the only thing holding me back from the divine freedom of my soul.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
the day trash like him Suso leave or are dropped from first 11 is the day I will transcend out of my human shell and gain enlightenment. Having to watch him play is the only thing holding me back from the divine freedom of my soul.
Yeah, something like this.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Hakan & Soze will play for Ibra and he in turn will make them look good.

nanook

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
JPKphdd.gif

replay - https://i.imgur.com/hGpDD09.gif

sjSHQG0.gif

replay - https://i.imgur.com/Tl476fz.gif

RONQ0u9.gif

Savo

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
hakan is the chosen one. he brings balance to the game.

Hakan 'Chosen One' Calhanoglu ;) lol

But in reality Hakan is average to below average 80-90% of the time. Then a few games out of the year he makes us think, "Wow... was that really Hakan?? Hmmm... maybe this guy could actually become good?" Then 10 more games go by and he has been unable to repeat his golden performance...

That being said, I'm hoping that if he plays he gets more freedom to drift centrally into more of an AM role. I'd like to wait to cast final judgement on the guy until I see him play where he should have been playing all along, and now with Ibra and Leao up top he'll have better movement and targets.

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
Fucking putrid garbage

Gets praised for his workrate but just completely ball watches for about 10 seconds on the Brozovic goal.

How the fuck does he manage to fuck up a 3 v 2 as well with Rebic and Theo I have no idea.

I hate this useless piece of rubbish so much

Y-Bido92

il-Faraone
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Totti, Zidane, R9
This guy sucks. Literally a con wearing our #10 after the likes of Seedorf and Rui Costa.

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
Please leave.
I thought we couldn't disgrace the #10 more after Boateng....but I was wrong

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Playing him just behind the striker is a really bad idea. He doesn't have the clarity of thought or ability to understand the overall game, which are both important qualities for that position in Serie A. Will always be a liability there.

He's a hard-working, limited player and best utilized in the wing where he can give us balance. I hope the fact that he's not a trequartista is finally clear after this game to everyone who wanted him in that position.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Playing him just behind the striker is a really bad idea. He doesn't have the clarity of thought or ability to understand the overall game, which are both important qualities for that position in Serie A. Will always be a liability there.

He's a hard-working, limited player and best utilized in the wing where he can give us balance. I hope the fact that he's not a trequartista is finally clear after this game to everyone who wanted him in that position.

He adds something in defense which was probably the main reason to play him there in the derby. For positive play he is too limited, there is a reason why he never fully owned the CAM spot in his career.

mato

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
He was great last games, but yesterday he was the most awful garbage on the field.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Agree about his characteristics. He has some serious flaws that won't magically disappear by putting him in certain positions.

Completely disagree on where he should play.
The qualities that he's lacking for a winger is more important than what he's missing for the CAM role. The qualities that he's lacking for the CAM role, such as his inconsistent passing and wastefulness, are just as present and costly on the wings.
The same applies to his strengths. He doesn't just give balance on the wings. Yesterday was a significant improvement in terms of balance. The team was winning the ball in the opponents' half on regular basis, winning the midfield battle for long stretches and conceded less to Inter than to our previous opponents, although Inter made far more out of it than Verona and co.

The CAM doesn't need to be the brain or playmaker of the team. In fact it's better if he isn't. Why make yourself that predictable and easy to shut down? That's why coaches tend to pick versatile workhorses for that position and leave the magic for the players that surround him. The modern CAM is like an advanced CDM who helps out where he's needed and creates balance. It's the most suitable role for Hakan.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Agree about his characteristics. He has some serious flaws that won't magically disappear by putting him in certain positions.

The qualities that he's lacking for a winger is more important than what he's missing for the CAM role. The qualities that he's lacking for the CAM role, such as his inconsistent passing and wastefulness, are just as present and costly on the wings.
The same applies to his strengths. He doesn't just give balance on the wings. Yesterday was a significant improvement in terms of balance. The team was winning the ball in the opponents' half on regular basis, winning the midfield battle for long stretches and conceded less to Inter than to our previous opponents, although Inter made far more out of it than Verona and co.

The CAM doesn't need to be the brain or playmaker of the team. In fact it's better if he isn't. Why make yourself that predictable and easy to shut down? That's why coaches tend to pick versatile workhorses for that position and leave the magic for the players that surround him. The modern CAM is like an advanced CDM who helps out where he's needed and creates balance. It's the most suitable role for Hakan.

Discussing Hakan's best role on the basis of his various mistakes would lead us to a sub-optimal solution. The guy makes mistakes almost every game, and just when you think he's starting to turn-around, he regresses immediately.

I'd rather look at where his minimum threshold is most useful. The bare minimum that he brings to the table is his stamina (not pointless stamina like Kessie, but a more purposeful stamina), and ability to pass reasonably well in most areas of the field, particularly diagonal passes that bring the opposite flank into play. This is also what differentiates him from someone like Suso, whose minimum threshold is absolute zero.

If you play him behind the striker (no matter how you see the role - of course nobody sees the CAM as a Totti-like figure these days - every coach wants that player to hustle and work hard), you are taking away his extent of mobility, his diagonal balls, and a lot of his defensive contribution. Even the most modern of CAMs have limitations in going wide, far away from their starting position, and in going all the way back to the defensive line.

If you play him as a pseudo-winger, he gets far more space. Imagine the field like a motion-cam from the winger's perspective when he faces the other wing. There's just so much space that he can move into quickly and interact in. A CAM simply doesnt have that many options.

I'd rather play Hakan in a position where he gets maximum options to run into, thereby utilizing his threshold qualities (the ones I mentioned before) most optimally.

Savo

Reaction score
Fav. Players

:thumbsup::thumbsup: agreed about position, although I think he needs 2 strikers in front of him so he has more space. that said, I'd start Paqueta at AM over Hakan

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Discussing Hakan's best role on the basis of his various mistakes would lead us to a sub-optimal solution. The guy makes mistakes almost every game, and just when you think he's starting to turn-around, he regresses immediately.

I'd rather look at where his minimum threshold is most useful. The bare minimum that he brings to the table is his stamina (not pointless stamina like Kessie, but a more purposeful stamina), and ability to pass reasonably well in most areas of the field, particularly diagonal passes that bring the opposite flank into play. This is also what differentiates him from someone like Suso, whose minimum threshold is absolute zero.

He is a sub-optimal solution and this is why I rather have him in the middle than on the wings(in a 4231 or 433).
We have a LW, who plays like one, has pace and is more of a goal threat. Rebic is a better solution, we don't need Hakan there.
For CAM however there's no obvious better option, we aren't sacrificing anything by deploying Hakan there. Maybe Paqueta, if he sobers up, or Krunic when he returns from his injury. He's the sub-optimal solution for now. If Krunic or Paq outperform him, then his spot is on the bench.

If you play him behind the striker (no matter how you see the role - of course nobody sees the CAM as a Totti-like figure these days - every coach wants that player to hustle and work hard), you are taking away his extent of mobility, his diagonal balls, and a lot of his defensive contribution. Even the most modern of CAMs have limitations in going wide, far away from their starting position, and in going all the way back to the defensive line.

If you play him as a pseudo-winger, he gets far more space. Imagine the field like a motion-cam from the winger's perspective when he faces the other wing. There's just so much space that he can move into quickly and interact in. A CAM simply doesnt have that many options.

I'd rather play Hakan in a position where he gets maximum options to run into, thereby utilizing his threshold qualities (the ones I mentioned before) most optimally.

Extent of mobility? He has lots of space to cover. Maybe even more than he can handle. He was pushed to his physical limit against Inter. Fatigue was showing already in the first minutes of the second half.
All that space between Ibra and the midfielders. Samu and Rebic. Covering for Ibra, the wingers and at times even one of the midfielders. Doing the pressing that Ibra won't do.
This isn't some static pivot role, or Cassano-esque support striker. It's a runner role.

He gets less freedom and less responsibility to score and assist than as a pseudo-winger in a front 3, but that's a good thing. His end product didn't warrant such an influential attacker role. The lack of a dependable goal-scorer or creator on the left flank hampered us for a long time.

Diagonal balls? The only one of our players that makes incisive, out of the ordinary passes from a wide position is Samu. The high amount of diagonal balls from our "wingers" last year was a consequence of a toothless left flank that needed to be bailed out all the time.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yesterday's game was another perfect example of how Hakan is thoroughly wasted in that role behind the striker. He's way too 'tidy', way too unsure, and his energy and stamina way too under-utilized when he plays higher up the pitch.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Yesterday's game was another perfect example of how Hakan is thoroughly wasted in that role behind the striker. He's way too 'tidy', way too unsure, and his energy and stamina way too under-utilized when he plays higher up the pitch.

He's wasted anywhere on the field

Savo

Reaction score
Fav. Players

Has nothing to do with role or position. This is hakan... he will have flashes of brilliance, and random games he plays great but 80-90% of the time he is about as average as average gets.. Honestly I don't have anything much against him personally, he fights for the shirt and isn't dramatic but he is the type of player that embodies everything about this "New Milan"... and that would be "average players with potential"

Hakan = flatters to deceive

Schedule