Week 10 : Chievo vs Milan - 25/10/2017 - 20:45 CET

ernesto

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
maldini, nesta, pirlo, inzaghi, buffon
So, if Montella drops another 2 points, he should go.

And if he does manage to beat Chievo and draw to Juventus, then he'll need 6 from the next, until he draws one, and then 6 from the ones after that.

It is terminal. He has to go. Every moment where we don't have a replacement in place of him is lost time.

I have absolutely no faith in us winning any match at this point.

I genuinely believe we'd struggle to beat Piacenza or Treviso.

:lol::lol: Couldn't agree more. It just looks like things are going wrong one after another at this point.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Good.. now we gonna lose with only 2 goals

giphy.gif

tuccero9

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I agree with this. Stick with Montella until at least the new year, then get wingers and play 433, 343, which are the only two formations that get the best out of Suso who is by far our best player.

I don't think Montella will revert back to vanilla 433 for this one. I still think he'll go for the 34X/43X hybrid. I don't have an explanation for this, it's just a gut feeling that he'll regret it if he goes 433 and not play well and get fired. If I was him i'd stick with my plan and at least go out with fewer regrets.

In defense

In possession

The idea here is that Borini would be far left and Calabria far right, stretching their narrow defense. Hakan would stay inside left, and Suso inside right, where they're most dangerous. Kessie and Biglia stay central to help shuffle the ball and intercept second balls. A back three keeps a man spare against their front two.

Again, i'd be very surprised (and frankly disappointed) if Montella doesn't play like this tomorrow.

Edit: This formation and strategy is sort of what I expected from Montella all season, especially considering the tweaks he did at the end of last season, with Conti being perfect for the RB/RW role. It really was a blow when he got injured. But this is the strategy Montella wants and I hope to see it click before he gets sacked.

i like your posts when you discuss about tactics.
you always describe in details your thoughts.
well done!

Y-Bido92

il-Faraone
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Totti, Zidane, R9
The Hakan/Borini side will suck badly and we'll have to depend on Kessie/Suso/Silva

another lopsided game

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
Somehow like MM17, FB29 is reborn as a wingback and it’s beautiful sight how fast he’s becoming a fan favorite

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Absolutely no way to Montella staying.

As soon as there's a replacement lined up - even Mazzarri/not Sousa - then he should be gone.

Every 3 points from this point on, in my view, is extremely fortunate, and every single point dropped is one that could be potentially(with more probability) averted if we hired someone else.

Pioli? Del Neri?

No, but get someone in for the love of god. Someone that will have the players moving quicker than tortoises, pressing even a tiny bit, knowing where to pass, just doing something to get us out of this.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
I think Chievo is a tough team for us.

But surely we won't fail again.

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka'<3, Pato, Romagnoli, Gigio, Marco Asensio, Andre Silva
Sky and Gazzetta both expect Kalibitch to start over Silva

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I changed my prediction in sapl from a draw to a win. I feel a win in the air. Not a tight one either.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
And Kalinic starting over Silva if we play only one striker is an easy decision.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
after how kalinic played against genoa, I don't think starting any of those strikers is an easy decision, all 3 of them can't score for shit.

inb4silvascored10goalsvsELjobbers

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
10 men game = zero tactical evaluation. It just becomes hustle. So I'm giving Kaligola the benefit of doubt for that one.

Y-Bido92

il-Faraone
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Totti, Zidane, R9
10 men game = zero tactical evaluation. It just becomes hustle. So I'm giving Kaligola the benefit of doubt for that one.

it becomes a hustle to stop a ball coming your way? Kalinic doesn't deserve any benefit of doubt based on Genoa's game.

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
Match day! Forza Milan!

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
I changed my prediction in sapl from a draw to a win. I feel a win in the air. Not a tight one either.

4/5-0 win

This coach has something to prove!

No Bonucci so all the players will use their own leadership skills.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
hopefully antonelli gets minutes in this game, I'd like him to start at LWB against juve.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Yeah, maybe you're right about this for this game at least. It would make sense to have Borini and Calabria track their fullbacks, but the question is what happens with Suso and Hakan?

Hakan needs to drop back to track one of their midfielders, othewise their diamond will totally run the show. So if we assume that when we're defending that we have a midfield of Hakan, Biglia and Kessie, with 3CBs behind them and Borini left and Calabria right, that leaves Suso and CF up front. What happens with Suso? Does he just drift looking for space and being our outball? I don't think we have the luxury to do that.

Also Suso is really bad based on the few games he played up front in a 2. He needs to stay wide right, and if there's no balance on the left it can't work (because Chievo would just shift to block him, knowing there's no threat on the other side).

That's why I think the best option would be to attack 343 but defend 433, simply because we need to spread the play as wide as possible in attack but defend narrow with at least three midfielders and not two.

3412 is very narrow in attack and Chievo would absolutely shut us down. 343 (or 3421, whatever you want to call it) is fine in attack but very weak when we lose the ball since it has only two midfielders in the middle.

The hybrid Montella system gets the width of 343 in attack while retaining the solidity of 433 in defense.

If we do switch to 3412 with two CF's against teams that are weak centrally then the hybrid would be 3412 to 442, to attack centrally but defend the flanks.

Andromeda

^AC.Milan Girl^
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini
Last season at their home we led the scoreboard 1-0 from Juraj Kucka through great 25 yard kick then changed the scoreboard 2-0 through Niang. Then we got 1 own goal from Dainelli. The joke is they technically didn't scored at all for themselves because the only goal they produced was came from ex our player Valter Birsa :D 1-3 scoreboard when the final whistle blown away.

Hopefully in this current game we will be able to manage same tension, same luck and better scoreboard .. Forza Milan ..

Quan

Primavera
Reaction score
Hopefully this will be the last game for Montella

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Let`s see how the boys play without bonucci.

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
Grazie for benching Silva and hopefully our Ale

Also, can we start banning for too much fan - boyism? Kids start insulting the coach just cz their fav isn’t playing

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
If we win this (something i didn't expect to find myself saying after this summer market), we have a very good chance to jump 4 spots in the table to 7th place.

Teams that are ahead of us:

• Chievo..LOL
  • Bologna who play Lazio
  • Fiorentina & Torino who play each other.

Berlusconi

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If Locatelli starts, Cutrone should start also. They have a very good connection on the field.