Reaction score
time for euromax to win the CL.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
time for euromax to win the CL.

When was the last time a team that finished 2nd in the group stages went onto win the UCL ?

Allegri 6 seasons in the UCL

6 second place finishes :proud:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Last year without Milan.

Teams should take advantage while they still can.

Wishful thinking much? Going to be at least 2 more years till we get into CL and that's if somehow we get bought this summer.

A.Madrid will finally take it this year.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
The Chinese arent stupid they know CL is a must, by the end of 350m, they'll want to be a serious CL competitive team. To really boost our chances, ideally, we want sum big teams going out at the group stage so we cud buy 1 or 3 worthy players and really finish in top 3. Assuming we keep peace until Jan.

Last edited:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
If this were in place for this year's competition and the 4th team was picked on the basis of 2016 end co-efficients, the top 4 teams from each league would be:

Italy: Juve, Napoli, Roma, Milan
England: Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea (Instead of City)
Spain: Barca, Madrid, Atletico, Valencia (Instead of Villarreal)
Germany: Bayern, Dortmund, Leverkusen, Schalke (Instead of Monchengladbach)

IcyDiavolo

Milan Icon
Reaction score
And I agree with it also. If this weren't done, the big teams would've just formed the Super League and ruined the CL. Fans want to see Milan, Chelsea, United etc in the CL every season. Fans should drive football, not a sense of fairness.

I agree that fans should drive football, but not like this. Clubs would become displaced just because of history, despite having performed better in their domestic league (and actually being a better team). If you don't want fairness then we may as well cherry pick who we want and who we don't want in the Champions League.

Talking about fans, imagine if the proposal took effect from last season. Manchester City finish 4th while 10th placed Chelsea get in. Villarreal got 4th while Valencia finished 12th. Boy would I be pissed if I supported those 4th placed teams. I don't mind if the top 4 leagues are guaranteed 4 spots as they are the strongest leagues, but the best 4 need to go through. No one should get a free pass just because they were good in the past.

A long time ago you had to finish 1st in your own league to actually qualify for the Champions League. You had to be the best. Now we could have a scenario where a club finishing in the bottom half of the table gets in over the 4th placed team? Seems rather absurd to me.

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
They should just ban certain teams from the CL, the Arsenals, Romas and Napolis.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
Proposal drafted for 4 guaranteed places to the 4 big leagues for CL, from 2018. http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Champ...osti-meriti-storici-le-big-160659992455.shtml

3 places will be as per league finish and the 4th will go to 'historic success'. Essentially, we may be able to sneak in 2 years from now.

For the Serie A this would mean an extra spot, so I guess we can't complain

This is just a sneaky way to keep some teams in it, but this plan could easily backfire when it's not the right team with the most coefficient points. I mean next year even Lazio will be ahead of us. They should just introduce wildcards already if they want us really back.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I agree that fans should drive football, but not like this. Clubs would become displaced just because of history, despite having performed better in their domestic league (and actually being a better team). If you don't want fairness then we may as well cherry pick who we want and who we don't want in the Champions League.

Talking about fans, imagine if the proposal took effect from last season. Manchester City finish 4th while 10th placed Chelsea get in. Villarreal got 4th while Valencia finished 12th. Boy would I be pissed if I supported those 4th placed teams. I don't mind if the top 4 leagues are guaranteed 4 spots as they are the strongest leagues, but the best 4 need to go through. No one should get a free pass just because they were good in the past.

A long time ago you had to finish 1st in your own league to actually qualify for the Champions League. You had to be the best. Now we could have a scenario where a club finishing in the bottom half of the table gets in over the 4th placed team? Seems rather absurd to me.
See.. All you arguments are fairness based. And I don't disagree with you at all that it's unfair.

But the point is that UEFA will make more money if Milan and Chelsea get in rather than City and BATE or whatever. It's not a democratic institution. It's a business driven by fans.

The equity football has today and the reason the sport is so valuable is because of teams like Milan and Madrid and so on. You can't ignore history if you're looking at the current valuation of the sport and the current benefits it reaps.

IcyDiavolo

Milan Icon
Reaction score
See.. All you arguments are fairness based. And I don't disagree with you at all that it's unfair.

But the point is that UEFA will make more money if Milan and Chelsea get in rather than City and BATE or whatever. It's not a democratic institution. It's a business driven by fans.

The equity football has today and the reason the sport is so valuable is because of teams like Milan and Madrid and so on. You can't ignore history if you're looking at the current valuation of the sport and the current benefits it reaps.
I'm not saying my opinion isn't fairness-based. I agree with this post entirely.

I can easily imagine the uproar however from less-historic clubs, which makes me wonder how historic success is even measured, i.e. if they prioritise more recent achievements. There are clubs that won titles decades ago but have declined massively since (and are thus no longer considered "big clubs").

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
If this were in place for this year's competition and the 4th team was picked on the basis of 2016 end co-efficients, the top 4 teams from each league would be:

Italy: Juve, Napoli, Roma, Milan
England: Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea (Instead of City)
Spain: Barca, Madrid, Atletico, Valencia (Instead of Villarreal)
Germany: Bayern, Dortmund, Leverkusen, Schalke (Instead of Monchengladbach)

Explain this to me because it doesn't make sense.

So Milan would have been automatically qualified for CL every year?

Burlesqoni

Milan Legend
Reaction score
A lot of business nonsense going around at the moment I see. Well I guess that's the 'modern' world we live in.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Explain this to me because it doesn't make sense.

So Milan would have been automatically qualified for CL every year?
Not every year. The fourth qualified is the highest coefficient ranked team among the teams not in top 3 for each of the four leagues. That's still Milan in Italy. Inter is some 8 points behind us in coefficients.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Not every year. The fourth qualified is the highest coefficient ranked team among the teams not in top 3 for each of the four leagues. That's still Milan in Italy. Inter is some 8 points behind us in coefficients.

I don't like the idea tbh, Milan didn't deserve to take part in CL this year. History is important but shouldn't decide today IMO. It's big club favoritism. It's kind of demeaning as well to get a CL spot that way.

The fairness argument stands in this case. Clubs work hard for a CL spot, and the best teams should get it, it's a sport after all. This system is basically economic doping for big clubs in trouble.

At best, this is the least of all evil for UEFA if they don't want the big clubs to break out and start their own league.

I haven't done any research on it though, so I don't know all details to this new system.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Fantastic goal by Asensio :eek:

Khurrisu

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Fuck UEFA
Just add more teams and scrap the Europa League. The latter is a novelty at best in modern football. With power houses playing 3 days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday) you're basically guaranteed more money.

Last edited:

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sevilla is coming back in the game :thumbsup:

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
they're still playing fantastic even without emery

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka'<3, Pato, Romagnoli, Gigio, Marco Asensio, Andre Silva
I really like Asensio

Neo'82

Always On Point
Reaction score
Everyone dropping Kova and Isco and now jumping on the Asensio train ha

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Everyone dropping Kova and Isco and now jumping on the Asensio train ha

We all want them to have a horrible match.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
You've just got a bad taste in players :lol:

Dude you don't want isco, you don't rate pogba, you wouldn't like to see messi at milan.........

Neo'82

Always On Point
Reaction score
Dude you don't want isco, you don't rate pogba, you wouldn't like to see messi at milan.........

I just prefer team players over individual talents. Messi would never come here - it was pointless to even mention him. That was my point the other night.