Week 3: AC Milan vs AS Roma 31/08/2018 20:30 CET

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
Hope that the Caldara prediction is true. Abate is a bit of a strange one - can he last the whole match?

did he ever?

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
did he ever?

Exactly. It is worrying that even in pre-season he's only played a half here and there and sometimes not at all.

Maybe the plan is to start with Abate and end with Musacchio to close out the game although that may not be that clever. Or maybe Sky have got it wrong.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
De Rossi red card

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
I have a lot of respect for Abate - he's been with us since 2003 and actually playing for us since 2009 and is our longest serving player currently in the squad. His dad is also one of our goalkeeping coaches so he's really part of the family in more ways than one.

But the fact that he isn't being played that regularly and not made captain or at least vice-captain (who is vice-captain by the way?) is quite a damning indictment of how he has diminished as a player and as a locker room presence. A bit worrying if he does play but hope he does well.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
yes i have seen this picture..no i have not correlated this image with a reciprocal sub-narrative placing maldini and gattuso at odds with one another...

:lol:

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
I have a lot of respect for Abate - he's been with us since 2003 and actually playing for us since 2009 and is our longest serving player currently in the squad. His dad is also one of our goalkeeping coaches so he's really part of the family in more ways than one.

But the fact that he isn't being played that regularly and not made captain or at least vice-captain (who is vice-captain by the way?) is quite a damning indictment of how he has diminished as a player and as a locker room presence. A bit worrying if he does play but hope he does well.

Abate seems like a great guy but he's always been a failed prospect.

If Cafu was a senatore then Abate is a county clerk.

Why he would start ahead of Calabria I do not know.

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Abate seems like a great guy but he's always been a failed prospect.

If Cafu was a senatore then Abate is a county clerk.

Why he would start ahead of Calabria I do not know.

Yes that is an apt comparison!:lol:

I would like to be surprised by him but he's a very old 31 year-old. Cafu was 33 when he joined us!

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Cafu was 33 when he joined us!

He played some of his best football in Milan. My favourite game was vs SCUM when he dominated CR7 while laughing his lovely laugh and chewing gum. It was men against boys.

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
He played some of his best football in Milan. My favourite game was vs SCUM when he dominated CR7 while laughing his lovely laugh and chewing gum. It was men against boys.

Absolutely! My friends in college were all EPL team fans and I remember even the live commentary was so annoyingly EPL-centric. Was always amusing to see how shocked they were about how well we played despite the age of our backline.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
In today’s training, Gattuso tried Abate at right-back, Caldara alongside Romagnoli and Rodriguez at left-back. [Sky]

So we're starting Abate against who...? Justin Kluivert?

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I can't say I love this experimenting with tried and tested things that don't work.

"Hmm, maybe Abate has something he's not been able to show in he last ten years."

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
Not sure why Abate is being considered, hopefully a bs rumour. Calabria wasn’t that bad in all honesty.

I want Caldara to start this Musacchio is too shaky for mine.

Happy Hakan is back for this

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
calabria was horrible, don't let a goal fool you.

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
calabria was horrible, don't let a goal fool you.

Whole team was horrible barring one or two.

Calabria > Abate

There’s absolutely no upside in giving game time Abate

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan

Youth

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I choose Musacchio playing as RB than Abate giving space for Caldara beside Romagnoli as CB.

sheva

suso's dog
Reaction score
Abate is as fit to play as your average r&b member is.

18178.jpg

Are you dissing the Flash?

Kaka92

Gae
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MMS.
based on calabria last game, abate can't be worse than that.

probably elsha will play so it's not that much hard to stop him. :o

besides that it's our best XI, i'm positive that we'll win :o

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
You never know when Abate is going to play like Maldini or Mesbah these days

Y-Bido92

il-Faraone
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Totti, Zidane, R9
Musacchio should play as RB

Youth

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Musacchio should play as RB

Zapata is injured right?

If Musacchio plays RB, we won't have sub for CB. We don't want Simic plays, do we?

Why do we keep Simic? It is better use our promosing CB from Primavera.

Y-Bido92

il-Faraone
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Totti, Zidane, R9
Zapata is injured right?

If Musacchio plays RB, we won't have sub for CB. We don't want Simic plays, do we?

Why do we keep Simic? It is better use our promosing CB from Primavera.

A simple move of players will solve the issue. Any cb injured--> move Musa to cb and sub in Abate/Calabria/Borini for rb

kakajd

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta Pato Pippo Kaka Ronaldinho Montolivo Abate C.Ronaldo Ibra
I'm going to assume if Abate plays, he will do well.

I don't know what fitness level hs is at, but as long as he is strong and has enough pace left, then we will be fine. I have plenty of confidence in him.

It makes suso a little lonely going forward, but can also say it gives him freedom to not need to come back. Abate will be there.

Lets win this one, ideally we show a strong character and fight to the end. Last minute goal would be nice. Last late big goal I remember is Zapata against merda.