The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > Other > Football

Football Talk about the wonderful game.

Old 09-09-2019, 18:52   #4141
nonsonoqui
Io non ho cugini

Italy will qualify for Euro2020 if they beat Greece next month.

Signature
Grazie per avermi fatto rossonero!
nonsonoqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 23:40   #4142
Polotelli
AC Milan Icon

qualifying is easy, but this team is too raw to actually achieve something

but maybe it’s what they needed now
Polotelli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:17   #4143
necromancer
Il Diamante

Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Which team isn't raw for 2020? Netherlands, Spain, Germany are all reinventing and kicking off new projects. France are the clear favourites, and everyone else has an outside chance.

I thought the Finland match was quite well played. Italy gave it away a little in the 2nd half, but the 1st half was very well done. I'm glad that Mancini opened up to the possibility of playing Sensi and Verratti together against certain opposition, because it would be a shame to bench either at this stage.

Signature
necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:52   #4144
fray
Casciavit

Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer View Post
I'm glad that Mancini opened up to the possibility of playing Sensi and Verratti together against certain opposition, because it would be a shame to bench either at this stage.
Benching Sensi is a good decision for Mancini and the Italian NT. Not necessarily that he is a bad player, but Verratti and Sensi are practically the same players, as they got the same charateristics. Jorginho, on the other hand, is unique. Absolutely fantastic midfielder, no one in the world can do what he does. I love seeing him in the regista role for Italy. Watching him makes me think that Mancini would rather have a midfield trio who is techincally gifted and would be able to dominate possesion + someone who can pop up with a goal, which they're currently lacking.

Anyway, if you start a midfield of Sensi - Jorginho - Verratti, there's no goals from the midfield nor an 'X factor player' in the final third. I think Jorginho could be the only one who can be considered somewhat of an 'X factor player', although he is far away from the final third ...so yes, Italy clearly lack that final third player.

If i were Mancini, i would go for a Verratti - Jorginho - Pellegrini midfield.

Bonaventura have the same charateristics as Pellegrini, so i wouldn't count that option out. Zaniolo as CM would be another option, but he does not look ready. Not even for the U21 side.

I would like to include Barella, but i think he's in the same boat as Sensi and Verratti. Barella may develop into something more of a 10 player, someone who attacks more, but i don't see it happening any time soon, especially not under someone like Conte.
fray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:02   #4145
necromancer
Il Diamante

Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Mancini's first choice midfield is Verratti-Jorginho-Barella. All 3 provide something different, and I think it's a great combination. They've already shown their balance together over the last year.

Sensi presents a good problem because he has broken through over the last 6-8 months, and was very good every time he got a chance in the Italy midfield (Finland first half was exceptional). So I'm happy to hear Mancini say that he would be willing to try Sensi and Verratti together (even though they are similar players) against certain opposition where their characteristics would work together. And in case one of the main 3 guys gets suspended or injured, Sensi will slot in seamlessly.

Pellegrini is a player I don't particularly like. Managers love such players because you can stick them in a hundred position and they'll put in a lot of hustle. He's the new Perrotta.

These 5 in any case will be the core midfielders for the Euro, unless we get someone breaking through in the next 8 months.

Signature
Old 10-09-2019, 10:18   #4146
fray
Casciavit

Castrovilli from Fiorentina could break through and get a place in Italy’s squad ahead of the Euro's. Who do you think?

Maybe Zaniolo if he has matured by that time, too.
fray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:11   #4147
necromancer
Il Diamante

Zaniolo should be part of the squad but more for the attacking 3 positions. Castrovilli has never been involved in the nazionale setup, will be quite some feat for him to break through.

Signature