The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players

AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players Talk about the history of AC Milan or its legendary/ordinary former players.



View Poll Results: When is the first clash between Gattuso and Zamparini?
Pre-season 10 29.41%
September 6 17.65%
October 2 5.88%
November 1 2.94%
December 3 8.82%
January 3 8.82%
February 0 0%
March 0 0%
April 1 2.94%
May 0 0%
June 0 0%
They won't clash 8 23.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 24-01-2020, 09:14   #6981
sheva
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Jerusalem
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Didn't he just win against the most in-form team in Italy?
if you watched the game it wasn't the most managerial showmanship, more of a comedy of mistakes by both teams.
sheva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 10:24   #6982
Pingu
Theonomenal
 
Pingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Default

Sarri versus Gattuso. Will be interesting to see if Napoli just implode here.


Signature
The story of how AC Milan won 5 in a row, undefeated in 2020:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
You're meant to have turned the stream off by now. The last few times we were behind, Milan scored when you had left
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaas View Post
okay i turned it off.
good night.
Pingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 11:39   #6983
beegees
make me adm in
 
beegees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Default

5 games 4 losses.
mamamia!


Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer View Post
Forza Giampaolo and the system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioReality View Post
I can confirm to you that Musacchio is the answer to securing the best defense in Serie A for us, for the next 5+yrs, easily.
Also, he has an extremely dense penis. girthy as a 40oz of Old English, which gives him this air of confidence that cannot be bought.
beegees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 13:37   #6984
Goodfella
AC Milan Icon
 
Goodfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

Rino still bringing the km's. I'm so jealous.


117km
108km with 10 men....


Signature
Goodfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 21:50   #6985
KujaIX
Allegri fanboy
 
KujaIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Fav. Players: Allegri, Romagnoli, Bonaventura, Prince, Yepes, Nesta, Seedorf
Default

https://www.football-italia.net/1494...tuso-meets-eye

Good article on Rino giving him some praise.

Also - the bad start is completely understandable considering the club when he took over.

But we shall never forget Benevento in his first match.


Signature
Phillipe Mexes of R&B Mafia Games
Silvio Berlusconi
KujaIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 13:33   #6986
joyrider
Il Moderati
 
joyrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Default

the best thing is that he has been having his own staff for years now, implementation of his system can only become better
joyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:04   #6987
Hitchens
Progress of a kind
 
Hitchens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Norway
Fav. Players: Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho
Default

I have thought about this a lot back and forth in my mind, and I have arrived at the conclusion that firing him was a huge mistake.

He should have been given a say on the market and given another season.
Hitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:16   #6988
Pingu
Theonomenal
 
Pingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchens View Post
I have thought about this a lot back and forth in my mind, and I have arrived at the conclusion that firing him was a huge mistake.

He should have been given a say on the market and given another season.
Yes, for his all shortcomings he would've at least been able to promote grinitcs with Ibra to a squad of non-believers. It's all in retrospect though, since I - along with many others - thought GP was a smart choice.


Signature
The story of how AC Milan won 5 in a row, undefeated in 2020:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
You're meant to have turned the stream off by now. The last few times we were behind, Milan scored when you had left
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaas View Post
okay i turned it off.
good night.
Pingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 16:01   #6989
Goodfella
AC Milan Icon
 
Goodfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
Yes, for his all shortcomings he would've at least been able to promote grinitcs with Ibra to a squad of non-believers. It's all in retrospect though, since I - along with many others - thought GP was a smart choice.
Rino didn't seem to want Ibra last year. He was openly questioning Ibra's impact on the dressing room.
And the Ibra to Napoli rumors died when he replaced Carlo.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchens View Post
I have thought about this a lot back and forth in my mind, and I have arrived at the conclusion that firing him was a huge mistake.

He should have been given a say on the market and given another season.
Sure, Maldini didn't exactly beg him to stay, and the way it was settled was clearly approved by both parts, but Rino resigned, he wasn't fired. He left because he wanted to.

I miss grintics, but not so much his love for Suso. He got way too emotionally invested in Suso and Hakan. I wasn't looking forward to another season with Suso and Hakan in the front 3.

The huge mistake was to go into this season with Giampaolo as the coach and Suso as the key player. Not hindsight. It looked stupid from the beginning to the end.


Signature

Last edited by Goodfella; 03-02-2020 at 16:04.
Goodfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 17:45   #6990
necromancer
Lo Stile di Pioli
 
necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Johannesburg
Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella View Post
He got way too emotionally invested in Suso and Hakan.
He's the kind of manager who gets emotionally invested in the players at his disposal and tries to bring the best out of them. He doesn't give up and keep pushing for a reinforcement. I really admire that quality in Rino.

How I miss him, man.. he was the best possible manager we could have had during this transitional period.


Signature
necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 18:49   #6991
Goodfella
AC Milan Icon
 
Goodfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer View Post
He's the kind of manager who gets emotionally invested in the players at his disposal and tries to bring the best out of them. He doesn't give up and keep pushing for a reinforcement. I really admire that quality in Rino.
But it's a bad long-term strategy. I think he was well aware of it and mainly acted that way because he wasn't planning to stay after the season.

I also don't think it's necessary to go that far to get players to work harder, or in order to get the best out of them. Suso was the laziest player last season. The exception in a XI with hardworking player. Also quite possibly the worst performer in the last 6 months of that season.

Players run more, or "work harder" because they're instructed to. Rino, Miha, Conte, Poch and Klopp all prioritize it.
Napoli players started covering a lot more ground immediately after Rino took charge.

Coaches like Montella and Giampaolo on the other hand encourage laziness by putting all the emphasis on other aspects.


Signature
Goodfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 19:07   #6992
necromancer
Lo Stile di Pioli
 
necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Johannesburg
Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella View Post
But it's a bad long-term strategy. I think he was well aware of it and mainly acted that way because he wasn't planning to stay after the season.

I also don't think it's necessary to go that far to get players to work harder, or in order to get the best out of them. Suso was the laziest player last season. The exception in a XI with hardworking player. Also quite possibly the worst performer in the last 6 months of that season.

Players run more, or "work harder" because they're instructed to. Rino, Miha, Conte, Poch and Klopp all prioritize it.
Napoli players started covering a lot more ground immediately after Rino took charge.

Coaches like Montella and Giampaolo on the other hand encourage laziness by putting all the emphasis on other aspects.
The threshold success that coaches like Rino/Miha achieve is definitely more than coaches like Giampaolo, no question about it. For guys like Giampaolo or even Montella, a number of situations need to align for their teams to excel.

I like the mental investment approach that Rino has in players over the course of a season or till the next summer window obviously. That's also linked to why he left Milan. When it became clear that we weren't going to adequately replace the likes of Suso, he walked rather than invest as much energy as he did last season on a squad with significant limitations.

I'm kinda wishing for what isn't possible. A guy like Rino is perfect for a low-cost patchy squad like ours. While he would never have stayed without proper investments for another draining season like the last one. So, an impossibility.


Signature
necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 23:36   #6993
Hitchens
Progress of a kind
 
Hitchens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Norway
Fav. Players: Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella View Post
Sure, Maldini didn't exactly beg him to stay, and the way it was settled was clearly approved by both parts, but Rino resigned, he wasn't fired. He left because he wanted to.

I miss grintics, but not so much his love for Suso. He got way too emotionally invested in Suso and Hakan. I wasn't looking forward to another season with Suso and Hakan in the front 3.

The huge mistake was to go into this season with Giampaolo as the coach and Suso as the key player. Not hindsight. It looked stupid from the beginning to the end.
True. Let me rephrase, I'm sorry we ended up in a situation where he chose to leave. The huge mistake this summer was always continuing with Suso and Hakan as our main creators, as it was the summer before. Those two are simply Mirabelli mistakes which are really hard to undo. What a legacy that guy has.

This didn't happen and I'm very aware of that, but if we'd not pressured Rino into wanting to quit and equipped him with a properly executed mercato where Bakayoko was redeemed, and LW and fullbacks had been reinforced, we would have entered this season as a feared competitor for 3rd place. Instead we started all over again with Giampaolo while trusting in players we knew where mediocre.

I hate Giampaolo for being so inflexible and miserably bad at the things Rino excelled at, man management and pragmatism, but he wasn't given a team to succeed. He should have done better tho.

The thing none of us could have foreseen was what monumental flops Piatek and Paqueta turned out to be. I'm still baffled by it, after the fact.

Last edited by Hitchens; 03-02-2020 at 23:45.
Hitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 23:43   #6994
Ronin
Milansochist
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Default

3 wins in a row, next game probably 4th

got the team on track, as expected


Signature
We practice unpopular culture, that is honour, courage and commitment!
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 23:52   #6995
Hitchens
Progress of a kind
 
Hitchens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Norway
Fav. Players: Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
3 wins in a row, next game probably 4th

got the team on track, as expected
Fourth is looking like the butt end of a joke more and more each week
Hitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 23:54   #6996
Ronin
Milansochist
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchens View Post
Fourth is looking like the butt end of a joke more and more each week
wat?


Signature
We practice unpopular culture, that is honour, courage and commitment!
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 18:17   #6997
Ronin
Milansochist
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Default

3 wins against top 3 teams of the league

what a boss


Signature
We practice unpopular culture, that is honour, courage and commitment!
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:48.





Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©2002-2011 The Red & Black Forums. These are fan forums and are in no way affiliated with AC Milan S.p.A.