The Rumour Commode XXIX: The real Maldoban era.

Which nickname do you think fits best for the Maldini and Boban duo?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Bennacer was always our number 1 option because it's an upgrade and saved a lot of resources, but in my opinion having both him and TB was better.

Can't see anything wrong on Leao too, we paid him a fair price for his talent, if he was proven to perform at top level at his age, he would have costed much more. Some gamble goes better, other goes worse.

The plan could have been made better, but i see an inconsistency on your arguments when you glorify a young team that almost finished 4th but you expect multiple upgrades in midfield.

How? We played in a 3-man midfield and were planning to do so in the beginning of the season. We didn't sign Bakayoko who you said was one of our main performers of last season, and we were finally able to ditch the dead weight. This midfield doesn't deserve an upgrade of more than just a Bennacer and Krunic before we gambled on Leao?

By the way, I just wanted to point out what you said about Leao, people said about Silva.

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
Getting tired of this discussion.

It's simple. The core questions are few and only those matter right now.

What is needed for success? Competence and continuity above all. Money and luck albeit being important factors are outside the equation.

Since continuity is one of two fundamental pillars we should start by looking at what we got.

The questions are then:

1) Can Boban, Maldini and Massara provide further continuity?

2) Does Boban, Maldini and Massara have enough competence?

The answer to question 1 is a no-brainer.
You can't even imagine a duo (or a solist) who could be in a managerial position with more ties to the club.
Given their profound ties to Milan they would never sacrifice sporting success for short-term economical benefits/professional directives more than what is absolutely necessary. This is a very important point.

The answer to question 2 is trickier because competence is determined by success and success can only be determined afterwards.

The things we could look at which could give us some ideas are:
A) Their résumé
B) The choices they've made so far. Not only in terms of signings but also their general ways of reasoning and handling different/changing circumstances.
C) Exceptional personal traits

Regarding point A there's a concern because both Boban and even more so Maldini doesn't have prior first hand experience of their current positions. It is important however to not assume this equals less insight or competence. Boban wasn't just an outspoken analyst, he's also been a very succesful director during an important institutional career, echoed by the praise of many professionals including the FIFA president who openly expressed his sadness over Boban's departure as well. For what it's worth Costacurta also said that he's one of the most educated people he's known in the world of football and that he knows the environment. A résumé and reputation can only tell us so much however. People can be succesful in one context and not in another.

Boban's institutional experiences (coupled with Massara's) is valuable nevertheless and it surely provides a bridge for Maldini to the practices of the institutional world. Once you do know the practices and ways of the field I don't think experience is as important as many people seems to believe though. It's not rocket science after all. What is more important is the character and judgement of the people in charge. You can always learn the common practices and ways (if they aren't already clear) but how many sporting directors do you know has gone from being shit to great because of the amount of years they've spent on the managerial field?

Regarding B) I think it's important to look at their general approach because of the small amount of data. As always not every signing/appointment will be a success and with the limited amount of data it's difficult to reach any certain conclusions. Just as we shouldn't legitimize them because of Rebic's and Theo's success we shouldn't dismiss them because of GP and Duarte. What we do know is that they have operated well with limited resources and worked hard on getting rid of the right players, they seem to have a clear view of what the team needs. We also know that they aren't stubborn and will act when it's needed, as they did with GP.

C) I cba to write about this tbh but I'll mention that Boban has/is probably useful when dealing with UEFA and their constraints.

When it comes to Maldini I'm sure many dismisses other's appreciation of his presence as an expression of nostalgia. Nostalgia certainly doesn't help the team evolve but his presence surely means more than that. Besides some players already mentioning his importance during their transfers Maldini, being the embodiment of the club that he is, also acts like a glue/bridge between the players and the soul and meaning of the club.

Tl;dr: Stick with Bobin

--
Picking this new page. Sue me :o

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Vito Angele says:

"Rangnick’s candidacy would be Plan B, more costly and risky. Plan A, supported by Boban and Maldini, would see an Italian on the Rossoneri bench with the names of Massimiliano Allegri and Gian Piero Gasperini in the front row. What is certain, to date, is that Stefano Pioli will not remain on the Milan bench unless he manages a sensational result such as that of qualifying for the Champions League."

:star::star::thumbsup:

Music to my ears although I hope Bodini follow Pioli out the door and we get a quality SD like Braida or Sartori instead.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
Why is this dude posting his conjectures every page ?

Elliott's pure profit motive is far more trustworthy in decision making than maldini's feelings about Milan.

Elliott have a lot more to gain from Milan's success than anyone else.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
I think Ralf Ragnick is all but confirmed now. I would be surprised if he didn’t come. Vito Angele was denying the rumours earlier so yes. But like most things in life anything could happen.

The fact that people were excited about Giampaolo and are now down in the dumps about Ralf Ragnick says it all really.

Ragnick would be a great hire (especially in comparison to the noob/midtable coaches since Allegri left) but represents a great risk given his age and lack of Serie A experience.

IMO it would make much more sense to hire somebody Serie A proven like Allegri/Spalletti/Gasperini (in that order) unless Sarri becomes available.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Elliott have a lot more to gain from Milan's success than anyone else.

You've just spat in our faces.

elliott only cares for monetary gains

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Watching Lazio and Inter challenge for the title and Atalanta going from strength to strength is fantastic because it means we're finally going to have to pull our thumbs out our asses this summer and get it right on every front i.e. manager, sporting director, transfers etc. Otherwise we can forget about CL next season too and Elliott can lose another 100m...

PS Napoli and Roma will be back with a BANG next year too (especially once Friedkin takes over).

Last edited:

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
These are really simple things guys.

Lazio and Atalanta has also stuck to their projects for years.

And Milan isn't a long term investment for Elliot which means that while they obviously want Milan to do well they won't make any sacrifices that would be beneficial for the club in the long run. Think whatever you'd like about Gigio but his situation and salary is a clear example of the nuances in the matter.

Last edited:

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
These are really simple things guys.

Lazio and Atalanta has also stuck to their projects for years.

And Milan isn't a long term investment from Elliot which means that while they obviously want Milan to do well they won't do any sacrifices that would be beneficial in the long run. Think whatever you'd like about Gigio but his situation and salary is a clear example of the nuances in the matter.

Actually Gasperini finished 4th in his debut season at Atalanta (unfortunately CL was top 3 back then) because he's a phenomenal coach. Also, Inzaghi finished 5th in his first season at Lazio but they persisted with him and now they're challenging for the title. Meanwhile, we dumped Gattuso who missed out on CL at the death and replaced him with 2 midtable scrubs who took us out the running at Xmas despite investing 100m because we're managed by incompetent DONKEYS :lol:

Can't wait for somebody competent be it Rangnick or Spalletti/Gasperini or whoever to finally take charge of this sinking ship.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score

Can you briefly describe Rangnick's qualities?
“In Germany Ralf Rangnick is called the Professor or the Brain. People have to follow it completely because if they don't, there can be problems. So basically they have to decide if they like Rangnick's style or not. "

seems like a German GP

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
Actually Gasperini finished 4th in his debut season at Atalanta (unfortunately CL was top 3 back then) because he's a phenomenal coach. Also, Inzaghi finished 5th in his first season at Lazio but they persisted with him and now they're challenging for the title. Meanwhile, we dumped Gattuso who missed out on CL at the death and replaced him with 2 midtable scrubs who took us out the running at Xmas despite investing 100m because we're managed by incompetent DONKEYS :lol:

Can't wait for somebody competent be it Rangnick or Spalletti/Gasperini or whoever to finally take charge of this sinking ship.

What about their sporting directors?

And yes, sacking Gattuso wasn't giving continuity.

Batman

Team Doctor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Inzaghi, Gattuso, Kaka, T. Silva, Romagnoli, Maldini
Lol Kojak uses "we" like he's an actual fan of the club

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Lol Kojak uses "we" like he's an actual fan of the club

Lol I'm actually convinced that people like you and all the other Pioli/Maldini nuthuggers are the REAL trolls because no authentic Milan fan would ever consider this season a success (unless you've only been following Milan since 2013 as in your case :lol::fp:)

Being out of the race for CL at Xmas when the likes of Atalanta and Lazio are 10+ points ahead of us (despite having a fraction of our budget) is nothing short of DISGRACEFUL...

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
87m on 6 players according to Wiki...

Thats the problem, mate!

14.5m players arent going to do dick for a renowned international club.

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
Lol I'm actually convinced that people like you and all the other Pioli/Maldini nuthuggers are the REAL trolls because no authentic Milan fan would ever consider this season a success (unless you've only been following Milan since 2013 as in your case :lol::fp:)

Being out of the race for CL at Xmas when the likes of Atalanta and Lazio are 10+ points ahead of us (despite having a fraction of our budget) is nothing short of DISGRACEFUL...

Why do you ignore my response?

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Thats the problem, mate!

14.5m players arent going to do dick for a renowned international club.

Agreed...that's why I'm so pissed at Maldini + Boban. They talked a good game in the past and criticised previous regimes for failing to buy top players but the minute they took control they just repeated the same mistakes (even Mirabellend managed to sign Bonucci). I feel conned.

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
The Pioli situation is easy. He doesn't have the credentials to warrant an extention as of today but judgement should be avoided until we're closer to this season's end. If he's done a great job it's reasonable to stick with him because then his presence is merited as he'd be proven in this context by then and we need continuity, if it turns out he hasn't done a great job we wish for a new and proven coach.

Last edited:

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
What about their sporting directors?

And yes, sacking Gattuso wasn't giving continuity.

Agree about continuity at Lazio/Atalanta regarding sporting directors although I thought you were talking about managers.

Regardless, at least Tare and Sartori had some credibility in their roles (10/20 years experience respectively) whereas Bodini have exactly zero which is why things are the way they are. The big mistake was getting rid of Leo last season whose decisions got us within a point of CL and not following through on the SMS signing who's turned Lazio into title challengers.

Hopefully Elliott have learned from their decision to gamble the season away and will appoint quality professionals in summer be it from Germany or Italy.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Leo also wanted Ibra last year... Ibra wudve gotten us that 1 point

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Leo also wanted Ibra last year... Ibra wudve gotten us that 1 point

:thumbsup:

He actually wanted Ibra + Fabregas aka experienced champions over the likes of Piatek + Paqueta but was forced to go down the young player route by Gazidis (thank God his contract expires in summer).

It's funny how he's been made to eat humble pie and revisit the transfer a year later and the results speak for themselves...

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score

He actually wanted Ibra + Fabregas aka experienced champions over the likes of Piatek + Paqueta but was forced to go down the young player route by Gazidis (thank God his contract expires in summer).

This is not true unless you call Ibra a liar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule