The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > Other > Off Topic

Off Topic You can talk here about everything that doesn't fit in the rest of the forums (movies, music, games etc.)

Old 16-11-2002, 03:28   #1
shevaman
Primavera Player

The Lakers are 2-6 without Shaq this season. Can the Lakers have a great season without Shaq, they only shot for 36% from the field. What do you think about the Lakers? When Shaq is back will they be unbeatable?
shevaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2002, 03:46   #2
Seamus
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: Anyone playing for AC Milan

I am going out to dinner right no as it is me and my girlfriends aniversary (5 years!). so short answer yes, they need him to win. I'll elaborate more later.

I take it your a Lakers fan? Me I am Warriors fan and yeas I know that they are the worst team in basketball, in fact they might possibly be the worst team in professional sports in the US.

Signature
Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none.
- Benjamin Franklin -

A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may never get over.
- Benjamin Franklin -
Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2002, 03:59   #3
Alex
National Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
I am going out to dinner right no as it is me and my girlfriends aniversary (5 years!).
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2002, 04:12   #4
scharatz
AC Milan Legend

Quote:
I am going out to dinner right no as it is me and my girlfriends aniversary (5 years!)
wow congratulations seamus i wish you and your girlfriend all the good luck for the future

Signature

scharatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2002, 02:55   #5
shevaman
Primavera Player

Quote:
I am going out to dinner right no as it is me and my girlfriends aniversary (5 years!). so short answer yes, they need him to win. I'll elaborate more later.

I take it your a Lakers fan? Me I am Warriors fan and yeas I know that they are the worst team in basketball, in fact they might possibly be the worst team in professional sports in the US.
Yeah, I am a Lakers Fan. The worriors is that bad what out the Memphis O-9. Koby is really stepping out for the Lakers 45 against your team but he can not do it of by himself, I am really sorry that you lost, but i think they did good. Hey by the way CONGRATULATION.
Old 19-11-2002, 18:04   #6
DonippoKakaShevdini
Santo Baresi

Fav. Players: Der Franco

Seamus

I have started watching the NBA more as European players do well there. Right now there are many, and one of my cousins, who is spanish, is actually very good friends with Raul Lopez, who is on the Spanish national basketball team, and also plays for the Utah Jazz. I believe he is injured for the season too though. My cousin has also met Pau Gasol through Lopez as well. Wow.....never noticed that, but the word "pau" is a derogatory term in french.......I better call all of my spanish aunts and tell them not to name their children that!!!!

Signature

The World will always be Red & Black....But Europe is Red & Gold.

Triunfa España! Los yunques y las ruedas cantan al compás del himno de la fe.
DonippoKakaShevdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2002, 05:11   #7
mtfco
just another member

guest what... mavs beat lakers ... haha.. i love when lakers lost the game...

Signature
there are many reasons to eat: hunger, boredom, and wanting to be the world's fatest man
mtfco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2002, 05:53   #8
newyyj
Rookie

Yeah, me too
newyyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2002, 03:16   #9
shevaman
Primavera Player

Come on guys. Why you gona hate a team who won 3 straight titile.You know when Shaq is back on this friday against the Bulls the lakers will be imbeatable. I can tell you we will be the Champ again.
Old 21-11-2002, 22:10   #10
DonippoKakaShevdini
Santo Baresi

The economics of the NBA are very good for a league like this. I have read about this. Under the new NBA collective bargaining agreement, apparently in the NBA it is very impossible to trade a player who makes as much as the upper echelon of players in the league, making a trade next to impossible, unless multiple teams try to facilitate such a deal. Now, there are advantages and disadvantages to this system.....

Advantages: keeps superstars in the same city for just about all of their career.
Keeps fans and the player happy (financially of course)
More likely to see Dynasties (Current Lakers)

Disadvantages: Parity.....nonexistent
If executive management is poor, team will be poor

so, I like this structure.......perhaps Seamus could tell us more, but I guess European football is run in a similar manner to American baseball.....where money is spent at the owner's or boards discretion...

Signature

Old 22-11-2002, 01:12   #11
Seamus
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: Anyone playing for AC Milan

Well from what I have been able to understand there is a cap in basketball, but it is know as a soft cap in which the management can go over it. If they do they end up having to pay huge penalties to the other teams for going over it. And the main reason that it has been installed is to prevent dynasties so that the sport gets more fans as a whole because more teams have a chance at winning it each year.

Example: To keep it simple let say that cap is $1,000,000.00. Now let say the Lakers are at $900,000.00 and they want to sign someone for $150,000.00, which would put them over their limit. They can do it, but the $50,000.00 that they are over, they will have to pay a percentage of that (the % varies depending how far over you are) to the league. Which in turn distributes it to the other teams, so not only would the Lakers be paying more than everyone else, they have to pay even more money which ends up going to the other teams.

The theory is that if a team tries to buy a championship (i.e. Manchester United or the NY Yankees) they will make themselves broke in salaries and fees and make the other teams richer by giving them fees.

That has been kinda what has killing basketball slowly, all it ever has had is dynasties (that and the fact most pro players here can't read or write - by far basketball has the stupidest players). The salary cap will prevent that. If a team can only spend a certain amount, then they can't buy all of the best players, only one great player and a bunch or mediocre players or a group of good players. Basketball was ruled by the Celtics, then the Lakers, then the Bulls, then Lakers again. Now this is great if your in LA, Boston or Chicago, but if you're not why even watch basketball? With no cap you have 1 or 2 great teams and everyone else is a joke, then for bad teams it becomes a vicious cycle. They can't win because they have no money and they have no money because they can't win. So when you have only one or 2 good teams then the sports is really only making money in one or 2 cities, because the rest of the teams are try desperately not to go bankrupt.

Starting next year baseball is going to start roughly the same thing. What keeps happening in baseball here is that year after year the Yankees throw money at every free agent in baseball so they get the best team years after year. They can afford to do this because NY has about 8 million people in the city so there is basically unlimited revenue from their fan base, then you get teams like the Cincinnati Reds who have only 1million people to draw from. Now that they have it set up this way a team can go broke and make other teams rich trying to by trophies.

There are 2 things that make it tough to apply it to European soccer. 1 they are all different countries all with different economic levels, there is no way to put the same cap on English teams as teams from Lithuania. So how do you make up the discrepancy? You can't make English teams pay teams from smaller countries, that wouldn't be fair. So having a salary cap across Europe wouldn't work. The only thing to do then is to establish different salary caps in each country depending on their economic situation.

2nd, if they did establish different salary caps for each country then it still wouldn't be fair. Because England has more money than Holland, England would have a high cap per team. Therefor England would always get better players. And it would set up a sort of cast system for Euro leagues. Then they would have to redo the caps ever year and like I said there are so many countries and situations it would be impossible to figure out and redo year by year.

In my opinion the only way to ultimately fix the problem is to set up a league that spans the entire continent. A super league if you will - and there are even more problems with doing that. At this point the G14 probably has the best idea in an agreement between the richest clubs to just spend over a certain amount, which in turn will keep the smaller clubs in check. Now getting them to stick to the agreement is another story.

The league that has done the best job at it is American football. The system they have developed (with a hard cap) that teams can't go over has done very well. The best thing about a salary cap is that it makes it possible for each team to have a shot at winning the championship. American Football used to be a sport of dynasties. There were the Packers of the 60's, Pittsburgh in the 70's, San Francisco in the 80's and Dallas in the 90's. Since the cap went into place there has been almost a different champion every year which gets every city into the sport more which I think is a lot better. How much would it have sucked to be in England and not be a Man. U. fan for the last 15 years? Dynasties are great only if it's your city.

Does that make sence? I didn't realize I put that much info into one post so if you need clarification just let me know.

Signature
Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none.
- Benjamin Franklin -

A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may never get over.
- Benjamin Franklin -
Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2002, 11:34   #12
fbvanBasten
National Team Player

It is interesting to see how the Mavs and the Kings try their best to dethroned the Lakers this season.
fbvanBasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2002, 18:56   #13
DonippoKakaShevdini
Santo Baresi

Seamus, right-on mate. I understand that now, and yes the advantages/disadvantages are both there for the fan to see. Very interesting structure.

Also, I have been watching the Lakers since O'Neal's return, and well......I think the Lakers might be in trouble this year. Not because of Shaq or Kobe, but their role players are starting to get old, ie Fox, Horry, Fisher, Shaw......these guys are the clutch performers that win games, and well, their production has just fallen southward. I know in the NBA the regular season can be deceiving, but these guys better step on the gas before next spring if the Lakers are to find that elusive 4th consecutive title.

Signature