Cristian Zapata Thread

Kvothe

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Excellent move. He was one of the top CB's in Italy during his time at Udinese. I don't know what happened to him last season, I don't watch Villareal matches.

Some people are actually disappointed with this move? Seriously? People would rather have Mbiwa in the team than this guy?

Costanza

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Rino, Ambro, Superpippo, KPB, De Jong, SES, Monty, LA77, Max Allegri, KD35, Manu
future TS

We all knew we are gonna end up with someone form Villareal.

char21

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
How can Dzeko be a Non-Eu player?
He is from Bosnia....
If he is a non-eu then Milan have only two options left in atack....Matri or Borriello....both of whom I feel can never match Ibra in their ability and skills...

Kvothe

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
He is from Bosnia....
If he is a non-eu then Milan have only two options left in atack....Matri or Borriello....both of whom I feel can never match Ibra in their ability and skills...
Bosnia is not a member of the European Union.

Samel

Primavera
Reaction score
He is from Bosnia....
Bosnia is not in the EU:fp::fp:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Excellent!!

He was one of the best young CBs in Serie A, and a very desired signing back then.

Typical Milan signing, with no hint of a rumour preceding it. Rumour Commode :lol:

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
So this all happened while I was asleep?

A loan + option to buy, I guess that's better than spending a lot on Astori or so. Hopefully we'll get Yanga-Mbiwa later, and let him replace whoever fails to make the right impact (for example, if Mexes aint a starter this season, he simply has to be sold).

Zapata, Yepes, Mexes, Bonera, Acerbi... no idea what will be our starting defence now

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Uhhhh one of my dream signings of 2007, we share the same bday, which means, he's really cool.

I like a good colombian CB, they're though, their smart, they improve with age, and they can last for a lot of years. It's really a good defensive school (possibly the best defensive school in latinamerica, pity for Colombia they possibly have the worse outside football situations that always end up making them end up in chaos).

He did have lots of injuries issues at Udinese, which for me is the bigger issue than him flopping with Villareal (that said being a loan...it's a smart move). Forgive me if I'm wrong but the defensive setup of Villareal last season was pretty n00bish from start to end, it was bound to induce their CBs to mistakes (their first match vs Barcelona is one of the worse defensive performances i've seen).

Blade of Faith

A New Hope
Reaction score
So this all happened while I was asleep?

A loan + option to buy, I guess that's better than spending a lot on Astori or so. Hopefully we'll get Yanga-Mbiwa later, and let him replace whoever fails to make the right impact (for example, if Mexes aint a starter this season, he simply has to be sold).

Zapata, Yepes, Mexes, Bonera, Acerbi... no idea what will be our starting defence now

That's interesting, squad rotation system FTW. :thumbsup:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a good player for sure. It seems management was most concerned with athleticism and speed in the defense.
On other times in the same situation we would have gone for a defensive organizer, experienced 30+ years.

I can see a pattern in Milan buys now, players in his mid-20's and yet to reach their potential or play in a big club. And most of all they're very smart and low cost deals.

He will be under the guidance of Yepes. There's no way he will flop.

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Very nice signing. Always wanted it him since his udinese days. Hopefully, he plays better this year than he did last.

benjamin

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Cafu
It's a good player for sure. It seems management was most concerned with athleticism and speed in the defense.
On other times in the same situation we would have gone for a defensive organizer, experienced 30+ years.

I can see a pattern in Milan buys now, players in his mid-20's and yet to reach their potential or play in a big club. And most of all they're very smart and low cost deals.

He will be under the guidance of Yepes. There's no way he will flop.

That's extremely sad. We're a big club yet we can't buy top class players.

Samel

Primavera
Reaction score
Great signing,he will be great for us. I wonder what the buy out clause is?

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Villareal had really a relegation team if one count the injuries/decline. Marcos Senna really declined after all those injuries. Nilmar and Rossi had no season due to injuries (I mean, their best attacking player was Marco Rubén), Cazorla left... Then they made awful panic signings - Martinuccio, De Guzman.

Their defensive system was very disorganized... They used to be a very attacking minded team, lot's of possession, lost all attack talent and didn't adjust.

That's extremely sad. We're a big club yet we can't buy top class players.

Short sight... Milan was buying big and top class 2 years ago. And can do the same 2 years from now for all we know.

Teams need to produce top players though. And Milan was always good at it.

Last edited:

Costanza

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Rino, Ambro, Superpippo, KPB, De Jong, SES, Monty, LA77, Max Allegri, KD35, Manu

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yepes suggested him to us a while ago. The key advantage he has over all the French league defenders we were linked with is that he is used to Serie A. Surely we don't wanna risk having another case of Taiwo with Yanga Mbiwa.

Also, Zapata is cheaper since Villareal just got relegated

milan88

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gattuso, Flamini, De Rosario, Ronaldinho, Nesta, Inzaghi, Bonera, Montolivo, Rooney, Kaka
He can play LB. He would be better there since all LB are mediocre. Bonera-Mexes is good enough :thumbsup: . I guess this means we are getting Mbiwa next season for free
Zapata-Bonera-Mexes-Abate

benjamin

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Cafu
We make them. You either buy or make.

You can't just make players into top stars. You have to buy a few to supplement the team. Just like Barcelona.

Sadly, we don't have the financial might to compete, whatever we make, will be sold in the end.

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't want to burst anyones bubble, but this guy was absolutely horrible last season, truly horrible. Its saying something that our first choice was a yound unproven african CB from league 1. villareal sent him out on loan with option to buy, do you think they're dumb? they're desperate to get rid of him. its true he looked good at udine. most players look good when the club is playing well. I remember his defensive partner all those years ago, Felipe. he was being paired with the best clubs in the world for 15m, where is he now. zapata only got a transfer to villareal and even there he flopped massively. its ok signing but we should probably try to develop acerbi instead.

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
He can play LB. He would be better there since all LB are mediocre. Bonera-Mexes is good enough :thumbsup: . I guess this means we are getting Mbiwa next season for free
Zapata-Bonera-Mexes-Abate

Bonera over Yepes? :rolleyes: Please...

Kasoka

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Shevchenko, Gattuso, Ambrosini
Bonera over Yepes? :rolleyes: Please...

Bonera is clearly above Yepes in the hierarchy. At least in reality, im not talking about opinions.

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Bonera is clearly above Yepes in the hierarchy. At least in reality, im not talking about opinions.

Which is strange, while he may be our best defender, and Bonera looks nice against most teams but is a reliable against top opponents. Yepes has proven himself to be solid against top opponents. I hope to see Yepes starting as much as what's wise, and when not I guess Mexes and Zapata makes most sense. Bonera is a decent backup, nothing more. Unsure about Acerbi, don't feel like he offers a lot at the moment.

Hopefully whoever are the strongest will usually play.

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baggio, Pippo, Kaka, Shearer, Rino, Ambro, Dida, Thiago
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There you go. That's the posting quality of rumor commode fans that constantly trash everything that has to do with Milan.

:D

I miss Ash.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Really a bargain...

If one think that Mapou price is more than 7M with 1 year left in his contract, and every other defender was more than 10M.

And Zapata is on par, if not better.

Kingmilan

Legendary
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gigi Buffon-Alessandro Nesta-Prince Boateng-Mario Balotelli-Ricky Montolivo-Stephan El Shaarawy
I don't want to burst anyones bubble, but this guy was absolutely horrible last season, truly horrible. Its saying something that our first choice was a yound unproven african CB from league 1. villareal sent him out on loan with option to buy, do you think they're dumb? they're desperate to get rid of him. its true he looked good at udine. most players look good when the club is playing well. I remember his defensive partner all those years ago, Felipe. he was being paired with the best clubs in the world for 15m, where is he now. zapata only got a transfer to villareal and even there he flopped massively. its ok signing but we should probably try to develop acerbi instead.

You are way off buddy . Yes Zapata was bad last year but the hole team was horrible . You say that zapata was good at udine because the team was playing well but its the same here zapata played bad because the team was horrible last season. He should be solid with us , especially since he seemed to be well adapted to serie a .

massaro

primetime
Reaction score
Fav. Players
seedorf pato nesta maldini
samuel floped in spain heck even the great cannavaro was not good in spain so give him a chance before leaving udinese he was consider the 2nd best cb in italy give him a chance