Mattia Perin

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
More agile, yes, but none of the others. Keepers come in different shapes and sizes. I will always prefer a bigger/stay at home keeper like Manuel Neuer, Edwin Van Der Saar, etc. to a faster, attacking keeper like Hugo Lloris, David De Gea, etc.

Goalkeeping and goal scoring require two things in common: instincts and awareness. I quote Wayne Gretzsky here, which works for football too: good players go to where the puck is, great players go to where the puck is going to be.

Perin knows where the ball's gonna go :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Xw78V72w4

Armin__m

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
>>rossoneri<<
How many have you watched?

I watched plenty of Pescara games last season + quite a few Genoa this season.

This kid's the real deal + he's consistently showing it.
How many games of Gabriel did you watch? You can`t compare if you know only one of them, right?

About Perin, I haven`t seen much of him, but general opinion was that he was shaky at best last season. He was hyped at the start of the season, and then didn`t show much.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
How many games of Gabriel did you watch? You can`t compare if you know only one of them, right?

About Perin, I haven`t seen much of him, but general opinion was that he was shaky at best last season. He was hyped at the start of the season, and then didn`t show much.

I watched as much of Gabriel as was available i.e. U20 world cup. He's good but Perin's much more talented.

Perin was fantastic last season. Got rave reviews from critics + media alike.

Only reason he didn't play much second half is because Pescara would've triggered a performance clause bonus to Genoa.

Armin__m

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
>>rossoneri<<
I watched as much of Gabriel as was available i.e. U20 world cup. He's good but Perin's much more talented.

Perin was fantastic last season. Got rave reviews from critics + media alike.

Only reason he didn't play much second half is because Pescara would've triggered a performance clause bonus to Genoa.
So basicly, you haven`t seen enough of Gabriel to make a comparison.

Both of them are talented, and only time will show which one will turn out to be better. Gabriel is ours already though, and we`d probably have to cash out more than 7m for Perin while we have bigger worries at this point.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
the price of perin would be too much for us

we could use that money to get a defender or midfielder

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
So basicly, you haven`t seen enough of Gabriel to make a comparison.

Both of them are talented, and only time will show which one will turn out to be better. Gabriel is ours already though, and we`d probably have to cash out more than 7m for Perin while we have bigger worries at this point.

Wrong I've seen enough to know Perin > Gabriel.

Given :g: relationship with Preziosi shouldn't be difficult to strike a deal. Some cash + player trade will get it done.

Armin__m

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
>>rossoneri<<

Given :g: relationship with Preziosi shouldn't be difficult to strike a deal. Some cash + player trade will get it done.
I don`t think seeing a 20 year-old goalkeeper (or any other player) for maybe 6 games is enough to make a judgement. Lets just agree to disagree, we won`t be buying him anyway. :D

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
the price of perin would be too much for us

we could use that money to get a defender or midfielder

Exactly what I think. Give them Muntari / Nocerino.

:g: could show us he loves Milan by clearing out the fodders and getting some nice Genoa players in return before he "resigns"

USC

god of thunder
Reaction score

Better is a very relative term. Different keepers are better for different situations. Their ceiling is about the same. The only difference is that Perin has more first team action and experience to his name. He also gambles a lot more from what I've seen.

Pharaoh

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Stephan-El-Shaarawy, Balotelli, Ronaldo(CR7), Kaka, and Buffon
Better is a very relative term. Different keepers are better for different situations. Their ceiling is about the same. The only difference is that Perin has more first team action and experience to his name. He also gambles a lot more from what I've seen.

uhh...

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score

According to you + other Milan fans. Media, critics said for a while Perin's the next big thing.

He's proving it for the second season running.

USC

god of thunder
Reaction score
According to you + other Milan fans. Media, critics said for a while Perin's the next big thing.

He's proving it for the second season running.

You do realize that "next big big" is indicative of ceiling + floor, correct? Right now, Perin's floor is much higher as he's proven himself for two years in the top flight. Gabriel now is where Perin was at the beginning of the last season with Pescara.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
You do realize that "next big big" is indicative of ceiling + floor, correct? Right now, Perin's floor is much higher as he's proven himself for two years in the top flight. Gabriel now is where Perin was at the beginning of the last season with Pescara.

Not really their journey's are very different.

Perin made his Serie A debut at 18 + won Serie B "best goalkeeper" award next season.

He's the real deal.

USC

god of thunder
Reaction score
Not really their journey's are very different.

Perin made his Serie A debut at 18 + won Serie B "best goalkeeper" award next season.

He's the real deal.

Think we're having two different conversations.

I'm very high on Perin, but am also high on Gabriel. Both play a different style of keeper that complements their frame and natural skills. One we already have, and one will cost a lot of money. Perin is better right now, but both have a similar ceiling, but Perin is further along on his journey. When we have needs galore and we're talking about maybe a +/- 1.5 goal difference over the course of a season between the two, I'll take the one we already have and spend the money on defense.

belloefamoso

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Think we're having two different conversations.

I'm very high on Perin, but am also high on Gabriel. Both play a different style of keeper that complements their frame and natural skills. One we already have, and one will cost a lot of money. Perin is better right now, but both have a similar ceiling, but Perin is further along on his journey. When we have needs galore and we're talking about maybe a +/- 1.5 goal difference over the course of a season between the two, I'll take the one we already have and spend the money on defense.

gabriel's style is easy to find, not special at all. But with Perin its is different. perin's talent is special.
although i think gabriel is good keeper. But Perin is very talent

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
gabriel's style is easy to find, not special at all. But with Perin its is different. perin's talent is special.
although i think gabriel is good keeper. But Perin is very talent

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Glad somebody else gets it. Only Milan fans think Gabriel's better :lol:

Armin__m

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
>>rossoneri<<
:thumbsup::thumbsup: Glad somebody else gets it. Only Milan fans think Gabriel's better :lol:
Who said he`s better?

They`re both too young to be judged. Do you perhaps remember how Amelia was regarded as the next big thing? There were many others as well, they`re nowhere to be seen now.

There is no point in paying big money for a gk when we already have a young, talented one. We have other needs, and we probably won`t be able to fix them any time soon.

Benny20

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
guys USC is right .both Gabriel and Perin offer a lot in terms of quality and potential .I do like Perin and would not object to him coming to Milan but the level of complaint against Gabriel is unwarranted.Keepers have different qualities that teams can rely on...they aren't all built the same and like outfield players they have different strengths and weaknesses.

the discussion should not be about who is better but instead about being grateful we have a player like Gabriel in the team who is young and for me been very good in the games he's played.

also people talk about how many games perin has played but lets face it ...genoa and Pescara .Gabriel was always gonna face an up hill battle being so young and coming to Milan .again I reiterate that perin is a fine young keeper but Gabriel is no fodder

USC

god of thunder
Reaction score
It's not only who is better, but who is a better value. Gabriel is a sunk cost, while Perin looks to cost around 15-20 M. When we spend between 30-40 M each window, in no way shape or form is Perin a 50% budget upgrade. The difference in quality is maybe +/- 2 goals per year. If we value a win at around 4-5 M, we're looking at a win probability differential at maybe 8-10 M. Maybe.

An improved defense also lowers the probability of goals due to fewer shots allowed.

I have the day off today, so I have time to do this:

Let's assume that a team faces on average, 12 shots per game with an average defense and an above average keeper. Let's assume that 11 shots are either saved or blocked. That puts a saved probability of 91.7%.

Now let's assume that there is an above average defense with an average goalkeeper. Let's assume that the above average defense concedes fewer chances. We'll say they face 9 shots per game with 8 saved or blocked. We have a save probability of 88.9%.

The difference in save probability is 2.8% How does that justify any further expenditure? Obviously these models are not elaborate as I don't care enough to actually research GAA or build something that's remotely realistic, but the point is that a goalkeeper's influence is so astronomically overstated.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
He's been great this season. He's also got a decent defence in front of him at Genoa.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
research GAA

Tipp_KK_Resized.jpg

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
i like perin but id prefer to add three defenders and keep gabriel for next season.

Wake the Dead

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Kaka, Sheva, Abbiati, Gattuso
Yay more genoa player

TAZIO.N

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Genoa,Primavera Campione D'Italia with Stephan El Shaarawy and Mattia Perin
as the main protagonist..;)

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Neo'82

Always On Point
Reaction score
No chance! our first choice keeper should have plenty of experience and a natural communicator. What's the point of Gabriel to then go and buy another green keeper.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
I want to sign Perin. Gabriel is basically the same but worse. I know gabriel is our little project right now, but Perin is the same age and better. Definitely should sign and loan out Gabriel or sell if the right price comes. Plus, he's also Italian which is always nice as I prefer Milan to stay Italian when good players are available. Great replacement for Abbiati for our future. Now we need a composed stay at home CB (top priority)

Also, Gabriel truly is a dime a dozen.. tons of keepers the same or better than him so he's really not anything special. Perin is legit, and is the real deal.

Last edited:

belloefamoso

Milan Icon
Reaction score
I want to sign Perin. Gabriel is basically the same but worse. I know gabriel is our little project right now, but Perin is the same age and better. Definitely should sign and loan out Gabriel or sell if the right price comes. Plus, he's also Italian which is always nice as I prefer Milan to stay Italian when good players are available. Great replacement for Abbiati for our future. Now we need a composed stay at home CB (top priority)

Also, Gabriel truly is a dime a dozen.. tons of keepers the same or better than him so he's really not anything special. Perin is legit, and is the real deal.

totally agree:thumbsup:

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
give Genoa half of Gabriel when we get Perrin. Gabriel would get game time there, and if he suddenly turns into a WC player we can get him back

Schedule