Cafu going to some Japanese team...!

efford

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
01/23/2003. AS Roma defender Cafu has reached an agreement to play for J-League club Yokohama Marinos from July 1.

His contract will last until January 1, club officials announced.

The Japanese press say that his total salary will be 3.75 million dollars.

"I believe Cafu will also improve our players a lot mentally," the new Yokohama coach Takeshi Okada said.

-soccerage.com

--------------------

Oh My God !!!!! i mean i know he maybe is at the end of his carreer but still... Yoko-what?!?!?
I say Milan could have had him for a year or so, and THEN he could go trash his carreer... Seriously!
But i'd rather see him go to a japanese team than going to some well-paid saudi-team just for the money.
i have to say that i am kind of a personal fan of cafu...

what do you guys think?

mad4milan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I really don't know what to make of this. I read rumours about him going to Milan on loan & stuff like that...

When I first read about this I thought 'he's going to play in Japan a year or two to finish his career.' But then I learn that he's under contract until January 2006 with the Yokohama Marinos club.

:conf: :conf: :conf: I'm totally speechless... Maybe it has something to do with the large Brazilian community in Japan, I don't know...

ads216

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong but Cafu is too old to make a big impact for Milan. We need somebody much younger than him for our longterm needs. And as his performance has shown this year, il Pandolino is not what he used to be a few years back.

And IMO he's doing the right thing for himself by going to Japan where he'll be the main man for a couple years, make some serious cash and then retire and play golf...or whatever the hell he does for fun :D

He's won the Scudetto, played in 3 world cup finals and won 2, captained the world champion Brazil team and pretty much had a dream career. He was a dignified and incomparable flagbearer for the game of soccer and Brasil. So now I say go where the money is because you have nothing more to prove. SAYONARA Mate and thanks for the memories! :D ;)

mellanie

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sandro Nesta
ads216 said:
Don't get me wrong but Cafu is too old to make a big impact for Milan. We need somebody much younger than him for our longterm needs.

Yes, I agree with you, but I heard rumors about some possible sort of trade
Cafu/Laursen with NO MONEY payment...
and I think it could be better to have Cafu with one leg running only 15 minutes for match (just in case we have Simic injured) than go on keeping Laursen in the press gallery...
IMO Laursen's no chance to play in Milan...
When we need experienced replace we use Billy and should we need energy RJ could be better and better than him!
(even if I must confess I hate both---- either Laursen or RJ---- sorry guys! NO Milan level!)

mtfco

just another member
Reaction score
well leonardo once played in japan, and remember dunga? yes he played in japan too... i think it's like a welcome thing, if u r an old player and u just wanna spend the rest of ur career to have another experience or to have some fun, then japan is the place... he will be welcomed in there...
it's like the same case with costacurta before he signed another one year contract with us, he wanted to go to USA to finish his career...
for me it's a good thing, he can teach some good stuff to the japanese and of course asian football...

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
If Cafu goes to Japon.....maybe he can locate that forgotten ghost Rai. Any of you remember him? Star of Sao and PSG. Also was captain of Brasil at World Cup 94, only to be benched after 2 matches and replaced by Dunga. Yeah, the Japanese league will pay good money to these older Brasilians to have them come out East and delight their fans......

I understand in 2005 or 06 Galliani might sell Rivaldo to the Kyoto Dragons for a lifetime supply of noodles......that is if Al Ittihad doesn't swoop beforehand with an offer of decorative carpets.....

Presidente Sensi.......learn from the Maestro......& league presidente :tongue:

swedishmilanista

Primavera
Reaction score
It's sad that Cafu who was such a great player and a nice man fading away. But all good players must sometime also retire. So its not such bad thing he go to japan and make a lot of money for his life after football. But if we can have him only for the second half of season with kala on the wings, we would be much better for the rest of the season I think.

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
swedishmilanista said:
It's sad that Cafu who was such a great player and a nice man fading away. But all good players must sometime also retire. So its not such bad thing he go to japan and make a lot of money for his life after football. But if we can have him only for the second half of season with kala on the wings, we would be much better for the rest of the season I think.

I agree......a good winger even to this day. Brasilian wingers have traditionally been the world's elite wingers, but most of them have very limited defensive skills and/or ball winning skills (wingers that is).

Also, just a side note on Cafu's career......always good to point out that the man went to 3 straight World Cup finals.....thats what we in the industry call a good 12 year international career.

Rex

Reaction score
ads216 said:
So now I say go where the money is because you have nothing more to prove. SAYONARA Mate and thanks for the memories! :D ;)

Well Cafu knows the best for himself. Which means there's still other team interested in his skill/ability at his age and certainly he wants to seek other challenge for his career. It's good for him and he'll remember the memories of Brazillians who ever played in J'League after joining at the club.. :D ;)

Reaction score
I hoped we can get him for rest of season so he can play with KK in the wings. I hope he play well in Japan and make a lot of money since he was a very classy player for every team he play for. Good Luck il Pandolino I wish you could have play for us! :D :devil2: :devil2:

Schedule