The spy thread - What our rival fans say about Milan

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Savicevic, Boban, Maldini, Donadoni, Costacurta and Roberto Baggio
I just thought I would start something here. I generally enjoy browsing other fan forums of our rivals and I'm always interested to hear what they say about us. Here's one from a Roma fan site where they're discussing our team in light of our visit to Rome in 3 weeks. See if you agree with this analysis.

-------------------------------------------------------

AC Milan:

-----------------------------Dida
-----------------------Nesta----Maldini
-----------------Cafu------------------Pancaro
-------------------Gattuso--Pirlo--Seedorf
------------------------------Kaka
---------------------Shevchenko--Inzaghi

Defence - wow...the pairing of Nesta and Maldini alone is formidable enough, but if a striker manages to pass those two they still have to worry about getting past Dida! Freaky! Obviously everyone knows they have the best defense in Serie A along with us, only conceding 4 goals thus far.

Midfield - Alot can be said about Gattuso Pirlo and Seedorf. In my opinion Pirlo is abit overrated, but Gattuso and Seedorf are hard workers in midfield. Though they both contribute very little to the teams attack they are still no doubt very important members of this Milan side - especially Gattuso, just because of his never say die attitude.

This midfield has a huge weakness though, because although they provide enough cover for Nesta & Maldini, they dont join midfield with attack very well. Pirlo lets his passing skills show some of the time with some good ones, but not nearly consistent enough to put him on par with the likes of Emerson . I think its safe to say that although they're everywhere, Gattuso and Seedorf dont really have anything positive to contribute in attack, they would be lucky to complete any thing longer than a 5 meter pass, and their dribbling skills aren't really that great either.

Attack:

Shevchenko - The goal machine himself, 12 goals from as 13 games. Thats frickin amazing, Sheva is back to his best folks, which very definitely is bad news for us.

Kaka - Simply magnificent player, great dribbling skills and a great eye for goal - no matter what the chances are that he scores. I think that his skills are somewhat wasted though when Ancelotti puts him as a playmaker instead of his more natural second striking position. When Milan are frustrated in attack, he cant crack open a defense with a great pass like Cassano or Totti can.

Inzaghi - Knows how to get the job done, say what you want about his style, but his job is to score goals - and when on form he bags loads....This year though he hasnt been able to make much of an impact, even if he has been struggling with injuries. Less than impressive at the moment.

Tomasson - One of the less illustrious of the Milan strikeforce, Tomasson makes it up with important goals at the right times. Not a great dribbler in my opinion - but is a decent backup for a power forward..Much like Carew for us.

Depth of their bench -

----------------------------Abbiati
-------------------Costacurta---Laursen
-------------Serginho-------------------Kaladze
---------------Redondo--Ambrosini--Brocchi
----------------------------Rui Costa
----------------------Borriello-----Tomasson

They have a decent replacement for EVERY player on their roster, everyone has a ready and able backup waiting for their shot. Abbiati is a great backup keeper, as we romanisti would know from those coppa finals last year. Just coming off injury Kaladze, who was a regular fixture in Milan's games last year is a good wingback capable of whipping in a decent cross when its needed. The same can be said about Serginho, who's another dangerous wingback. Ambrosini, is a strong tackler of the ball and would be a great asset to any team however he doesnt fit into Ancelotti's tactics as Pirlo takes his spot in the lineup and is unfortunately benched.

Though the class of many of these players are undeniable form dictates otherwise. Redondo for example, who was bought at 18million euros only to be sidelined for 2 years, just months after his transfer. A really classy player as shown in his days with Real Madrid, but after 2 years he has changed alot and is struggling to break into the first team at the moment.

Rui Costa, who provided loads of passes last year also seems to be going down on the form hill as his defense splitting passes and creativity is seemingly becoming fewer and further between. His shot always stunk, but without his creative passes he just seems like half the player he was last year.

The defense itself looks extremely lost without Nesta and Milan as anyone would expect, yet some of the defending would exceed any expectations. Simply appauling stuff evident when they played against Celta at the Meazza.

Ancelottis tactics - We got a Junior Trappatoni here....I think he relies on Milan's defense a bit too much this year, and they have gotten too many 1-0 results this year. He's just too willing to defend a 1-0 lead for my liking, and does not really use the full potential of the attack he has at his disposal. However, he is getting the results to go his way, so i guess he's doing his thing his way.

-------

by as adam

http://www.asroma-addict.com/forums

mtfco

just another member
Reaction score
the guy/girl had a good observation about milan and lots of good points, although i would rather put kaladze instead of pancaro for the first team...
and i like his/her analysis about ancelotti, obviously ancelotti expected too much from the defense (of course our defense can always do the job), but what if we r having a bad luck and injuries? we need more goals and that is the midfield and playmaker's job to provide the scoring chances for the strikers... and our strikers need to practice more their finishing touch (except ofr sheva, although sometimes he is just off)...

makaveli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gattuso,Kaka, Nesta, Inzaghi, Gerrard, Henry, Ronaldinho, Riquelme, Rui Costa..
savicevic i congratulate u for the topic ;) . very interesting one. i' am not seeing very interesting topic's at the forum's these day's i don't know why :conf: . but like mtfco said he rally makes some good point's. and what i mostly like from his analyses is that he's being realist and knowing very well milan. he is saying the truth. what about bianconeri and nerazzuri tifosi what do they think about us? any analyses, comment's?

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
That is completely untrue about Rui Costa never being able to shoot. This individual must have never seen Rui play in Firenze or in Portugal. Rui used to have a superb shot in his younger years, and out of the 30-35 goals he scored with Fiorentina, I know for a fact that 15-18 of those came from outside of the box. The man used be able to strike a ball quite forcefully from outside of the box.

The defense itself looks extremely lost without Nesta and Milan as anyone would expect, yet some of the defending would exceed any expectations. Simply appauling stuff evident when they played against Celta at the Meazza

I have no idea what this means. Perhaps "Milan" was supposed to be "Maldini." Yeah, lets talk about a match in which we had already qualified for the second phase of the CL. Yeah, and Roma looked quite good in that.....excuse me(lol)......UEFA cup match vs the runners up of the Macedonian league in which they squeaked a 1-0 victory out.

Other than that.....how can one argue with everything else this person has said. It reads like a "my first scouting report" primer.

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
makaveli said:
savicevic i congratulate u for the topic ;) . very interesting one. i' am not seeing very interesting topic's at the forum's these day's i don't know why :conf: . but like mtfco said he rally makes some good point's. and what i mostly like from his analyses is that he's being realist and knowing very well milan. he is saying the truth. what about bianconeri and nerazzuri tifosi what do they think about us? any analyses, comment's?

When I stumble on something of significance from another forum I'll post it here.

I think it's interesting to hear other fan's assessments on our team. While somethings are dubious borne from bias, it is interesting to see who they fear from our team and who they don't. When they are speaking honestly to each other.

If we're boasting about players that we have which other teams don't give a shit about then it's probably our own sentimentality that's getting in the way and stopping us from seeing the real picture.

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MVB|Sheva|Max|Maldini|Kakà
This is a very good topic indeed and I think that there are some really interesting topics these days ... I guess that the separation between discussions and transfers is working well! Well done admins :)
Only one thing, savicevic10 can you please put the name or nickname of the analysis's poster? I think we should give him that credit after such a good critique :)

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kyara said:
This is a very good topic indeed and I agree with Makaveli that there are some really interesting topics these days ... I think that the separation between discussions and transfers is working well! Well done admins :)
Only one thing, savicevic10 can you please put the name or nickname of the analysis's poster? I think we should give him that credit after such a good critique :)

Yes just done that above. I agree that the separation between discussions and transfers is working well as I suspected it might.

Although I think Makaveli said he that wasn't seeing many interesting topics on here nowadays :D

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MVB|Sheva|Max|Maldini|Kakà
Yeah I just noticed and changed what I said above, sorry Makaveli!
You should excuse me, business class :rolleyes: :tongue:

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
savicevic10 said:
When I stumble on something of significance from another forum I'll post it here.

I think it's interesting to hear other fan's assessments on our team. ...

But criticize my references as second-hand + hearsay from the internet ??? How about applying the same yardstick to yourself ? :tongue: ;)

savicevic10 said:
If we're boasting about players that we have which other teams don't give a shit about then it's probably our own sentimentality that's getting in the way and stopping us from seeing the real picture.

Too right. Which is why I've chosen to become an unsentimental fan.

makaveli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gattuso,Kaka, Nesta, Inzaghi, Gerrard, Henry, Ronaldinho, Riquelme, Rui Costa..
savicevic10 wrote:
Although I think Makaveli said he that wasn't seeing many interesting topics on here nowadays

true this is what i meant. at times when i enter to the forum's and search i don't see interesting topic's that i could post something. only roumor's(if they were true),thinking chains' (or stupid games that allow user's to raise the number of post's)etc..

Kyara wrote:
Yeah I just noticed and changed what I said above, sorry Makaveli!
You should excuse me, business class

no need for excuse kyara :rolleyes: :D

P.S anyone listened santana's latest album 'Shaman'? it's awesome i bought it two or three day's earlier and i can't stop listening to it. i advice all of you buy it please.

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Passion for *9* said:
But criticize my references as second-hand + hearsay from the internet ??? How about applying the same yardstick to yourself ? :tongue: ;)

In this thread I'm just presenting the hearsay for people to look at in here. I don't make it the foundation nor the guide to formulating my opinions which I then use to dismiss others. Others who probably saw the game I might add ;)

Like someone else said you got to wonder when everything you say opposes everyone else's all the time. Unless of course you are a misunderstood genius which I'm not completely closed to the possibility ;)

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
savicevic10 said:
In this thread I'm just presenting the hearsay for people to look at in here. I don't make it the foundation nor the guide to formulating my opinions which I then use to dismiss others. Others who probably saw the game I might add ;)

You got sth very wrong, Sav10. I *never* make hearsay the foundation of my own opinion nor do I comment extensively on matches I haven't had the opportunity to watch. In such cases my comments will be restricted to expressing an emotion, either venting frustration or expressing joy - and in order to do that I do not need to know more than........... the final result. ;) Take my current dislike of Seedorf as an example... it is strictly based on his performances, or lack thereof, that I had the displeasure to watch, be it for Milan or the Dutch national team. I *do* get to watch *some* Italian + European football too, imagine that :rolleyes:

r4gs

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Erm..it was a very systematic analysis..though i'd fancy Simic at RB in the Milan 2 team rather than Sergio..and honestly Kaladze should really be in the first team and probably Rui Costa ahead of Kaka... I know he must feel that on current selection basis..Kaka has pushed himself ahead of Rui..but one must still realise that Milan treat Rui with utmost respect..and he is still the player with the most assists for Milan..Kaka has plenty of time to break into the first team..and i guess that time will come only when Rui leaves for his beloved Benfica...

Anyway..it's quite interesting how he feels Milan aren't performing to their true potential..although i think he doesn't quite know how pivotal Pirlo is to the team..he is the link between defence and attack and..i agree with him saying that Milan's midfield don't link up with attack well enough... True...

As for 1-0 wins..i do get a bit more aware of them this season and it is really down to Ancelotti's tactics..sure they may not be all attractive..but if Carlo knows exactly what he is doing..almost like he is now..then 1-0's are fine..to an extent that we only have 1-0's sometimes..not every match!

K-J

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tomáš Rosický
This is an interesting topic. And a nice analysis too. Does anybody dare to enter the Inter forum :tongue:

juninho-paulista

rubro-negro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Timmy Cahill and Mr. Leite
K-J said:
This is an interesting topic. And a nice analysis too. Does anybody dare to enter the Inter forum :tongue:

I have been to interforums.com a few times.. i have yet to post there however, much too scared :D

and i must say, their opinions are a tad lacklustre. Someone makes a comment and everyone else follows up with "i agree" :D :devil2:

cuore

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Capitano
yah inter style this season is very disappointing!!!!!
look at ac milan total attacking football

submitted by christian_viali

this is what i found on interforums.com

MookyRookie

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
the Analysis form this AS Roma fan was too great, hes writing how Milan has the best defense, Maldini & Nesta, AC Milan will play 3 times in January vs. AS Roma, it will be a great game with fantastic football and not boring defensive tactics, but if Ancelottis style help us to win over Roma 3 times ;) what can u say about his tactics? its effective, who cares it is an ugly style, if Milan can keep 1:0 lead till final whistle :rolleyes:
Roma has the best attacking squad, Totti, Cassano, Carew, Emerson, Montella, Delvecchio, Mancini these players are creativ and very dangerous!!!
Also AS Romas defense with "the wall" Walter Samuel, Panucci, Candela, Zebina, Christian Chivu belongs 2 the best in Serie A and even European football
Like Roma coach Capello said, this Roma is the best team he ever has coached!!!

Velez Mostar

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Savicevic, Albertini, Weah, Redondo
terra-ade said:
deep analysist. i doubt that guy is a romanisti coz he knows so much about milan and its players.

Well, I know at least that much about every other of the top teams in Italy, and Im Milanista, so there is no reason why the guy which posted the article shouldnt be Romanista.

Btw; very nice post by the guy, interesting as well...I agree with him in everything, our midfield does way to little to help out in attack, and like he said; Kaka is being played out of position...My personal favourite to bring in as a new coach next summer is Gigi Del Neri, a truly mastermind..

Romas best players currently are Chivu, Mancini, Cassano, Totti and Carew - all of them are currently very dangerous, and they have great players as Samuel, Emerson, Candela, Montella, Tommasi...

But Roma has one BIG weakness: Jonathan Zebina...He's like Legrottaglie in Juve, the main reason for all the defensive errors..

I really would like Rui Costa to start the game for us, rather then Kaka, if needed Kaka can come in later as a sub, Rui is experienced and has played brilliant in several derbys earlyer, so why not once again?
And we have 2 brilliant players on the bench whoch can turn the game in our favour; Serginho and Kaka!

---------------Dida--------------------
Cafu---Laursen---Maldini---Pancaro
---------------Gattuso----------------
--------Rui------Pirlo--------Seedorf
----------Pippo-------Sheva---------

I hope Nesta reachs full fitness so that he's ready for the match...

MookyRookie

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
AC Milan dont need to be scared of AS Roma, even though Roma have not lost a game since start of the season ( :conf: ) We have everything to beat them in Stade Olimpico, but without Nesta and Kaladze the defense is struggling and Pancaro is not effective and talented like Kakhaber Kaladze on the left side, as right defender Cafu will start against his former team mates, Simic possible too...
this is good topic "the spy thread" :devil2:

Schedule