Manuel Rui Costa Thread

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Jeez, I think Simic started a trend...

Rui Costa wants Milan answers [Source: Football Italia]

Manuel Rui Costa has told Milan to underline their faith in his abilities or allow him to join another club.

The Portuguese ace is growing frustrated with his bench role at the San Siro as Brazilian ace Kaka continues to be handed the fantasista shirt.

Now he’s urged the outfit to make their intentions clear regarding his status at the club after another campaign in the shadows at the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza.

“I have great faith in myself and I’m convinced that I can help Milan,” he said. “However, [boss Carlo] Ancelotti and [chief Adriano] Galliani need to be sure too.

“I still have one year left on my contract and I want to know whether they still believe in me at this club. I don’t like the sensation of being a burden or a player who people don’t rate. That’s why I left the national side.

“If the team don’t have faith in me then I think it is only right that I consider another solution for myself. There are two roads to go down. If I no longer think I’m up to it then I’ll quit. Otherwise I would like to return to either Benfica or Fiorentina.”

The classy playmaker hit the headlines in his home country while at Benfica where he caught the eye of the Viola.

He joined Milan in 2001 after the Tuscan club tried to clear rising debts.

Yuchen Li

58 unbeaten !
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Kaladze, Materazzi, Abbiati, Pirlo, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Kaka, Inzaghi, Gilardino
RUI COSTA: 'My option would be to remain here'
21/04/2006 19:05:18
MILANELLO - Manuel Rui Costa spoke to the Milan Channel about the interview he reportedly gave before the Barcelona game: 'I was being clear and honest and I wasn't looking to make any problems for anyone. I only think it's right to know if the club want to count on me next season. I only said I would not stay if there was no faith in me. I said I had three options over my future. The first to stay at Milan, the second to retire and the third to play for Milan or Benfica or Fiorentina as I feel I have another year at the top level. I said this not just for my interests but for the club's. So I am creating problems and I have to say I owe everyone, the coach, my team-mates and the Rossoneri atmosphere enormous gratitude.

'Did I speak before the Barcelona game? No, it took place on Monday. I was not showing a lack of respect for the club or coach. It would be in bad faith to create problems.'

zZ[-_-]Zz

¤ Gli Invicibili ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roberto Baggio, Franco Baresi, Marco van Basten
can't blame the man... at least he did not follow Ronaldo's steps & declared his feelings at the wrong time... he did mention stayin' in Milan would be his first option provided Ancelotti wants him... else he would move on or retire... which i think is fair enough...

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
This is a hurt man we are hearing speak. He doesn't need this. He is a legend in his country back home and can still outsmart the best in the business when he gets going. Ancelotti has few options, yes, but the least he could've done is to have given Kaka a bit more rest and some more playing time for Rui.

We are blessed that we have a player of such class as a cover for Kaka.

Even when registering his displeasure, note how dignified he looks. A class act. The great man should indeed leave if need be.

Last edited:

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Its Rui's time to shine in Kaka's absence.

vani_pirlo_21

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
All Milan, all River Plate, Aimar, Saviola, Montenegro, Lugano,
ManuelRuicostaabsolutmagician.jpg

Albion

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Rui Costa: oggi incontro col Milan, Benfica alla finestra

12:00 del 19 maggio

Il centrocampista portoghese Manuel Rui Costa è partito questa mattina da Lisbona per recarsi a Milano dove incontrerà la dirigenza rossonera per definire il suo futuro. Rui Costa, che il Benfica vorrebbe riportare in Portogallo, in areoporto ha precisato: "Ho ancora un altro anno di contratto con il Milan. Devo valutare bene le cose e poi prendere una decisione."

================================

Rui is about to decide his future these days, as we know Benfica wants him but he has a contract with Milan for another season.

Yuchen Li

58 unbeaten !
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Kaladze, Materazzi, Abbiati, Pirlo, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Kaka, Inzaghi, Gilardino
Maybe it is the time for us to consider who is the next player to wear "10".

vani_pirlo_21

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
maybe we can get Simao in exchange of Rui Costa...

Besi

¤ TheSaint ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini , Kaká
Rui Costa Rescinds Milan Contract

The Rossoneri number 10 jersey has just become available as Portuguese veteran Rui Costa (ex-Fiorentina / Benfica) and AC Milan have mutually brought the link between player and club to an end.

After spending a few days in Portugal with friends and family, Rui headed back to Milan and a meeting with the AC management that ended with the contract that was due to expire in June 2007 being cut short.

Geovanni Branchini, the player’s agent, actively sought out the AC Milan execs to express Rui Costa’s feeling that he’d prefer to be cut loose if next season was going to be a repeat ordeal of the 2005-6 season where the playmaker was used sparingly by Ancelotti.

Rui Costa is now much closer to making the Benfica return that many Encarnados have yearned for as the rescission of the existing contract means that the Lisbon giants won’t have to fork out any troublesome penalty clause.

When asked how he felt after both Nuno Gomes and Simão had heaped praise on the number 10, Rui responded “Coming from friends like that in a club that I’ve played for means a lot. I feel homesick for Portugal, for Benfica – for all of the things that link me to my land.”

Goodbye Rui Costa , number 10 will look cool in Kaka jersey ! ;)

vani_pirlo_21

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
so Benfica re going to pay for him or he'll go there for free?

DugiNesta

the epic #3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini - El Shaarawy - Kaka - Gattuso - Messi
Kaka would look awsome with number 10 in his back :)

Inzaghi9

=alta tensione=
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Inzaghi, Kaká, Pato
vani_pirlo_21 said:
so Benfica re going to pay for him or he'll go there for free?
I think he has contract until 2007 so if we don't release him they gonna pay

Besi

¤ TheSaint ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini , Kaká
Inzaghi9 said:
I think he has contract until 2007 so if we don't release him they gonna pay

No , they are not going to pay , read goal.com article.

Yuchen Li

58 unbeaten !
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Thank you for Rui Costa's wonderful performance in Milan !!

The best assistance from him in my opinion is on 2002/03 CL, Milan 1-0 Real, he passed the ball to Sheva, the distance is almost 40m !!

The best goal for him in my opinion is on 2003/04 Serie A, Milan 2-1 Perugia, he scored a very powerful freekick !! The ball hit both beam and pole, i think no one can save such accurate shot !!

The best game for him in my opinion is on 2002/03 CL, Milan 4-0 Deprovita, Rui Costa had 4 assistances in that game !! Unbelievable !!

Thank you, Rui, Bye bye !!

vani_pirlo_21

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
besikaka said:
No , they are not going to pay , read goal.com article.
Milan should have got something back for the amount Rui costa cost Milan... at elast a swap for Simao or something like that...

vani_pirlo_21

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yuchen Fish said:
Thank you for Rui Costa's wonderful performance in Milan !!

The best assistance from him in my opinion is on 2002/03 CL, Milan 1-0 Real, he passed the ball to Sheva, the distance is almost 40m !!

The best goal for him in my opinion is on 2003/04 Serie A, Milan 2-1 Perugia, he scored a very powerful freekick !! The ball hit both beam and pole, i think no one can save such accurate shot !!

The best game for him in my opinion is on 2002/03 CL, Milan 4-0 Deprovita, Rui Costa had 4 assistances in that game !! Unbelievable !!

Thank you, Rui, Bye bye !!

I loved his goal in season 04-05 against Brescia, I think, not sure... awesome how the ball went in...

Pirlo Fan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Gattuso, Kaka, Nesta, Fabregas, Cannavaro, Buffon, Ribery, Berbatov
vani_pirlo_21 said:
Milan should have got something back for the amount Rui costa cost Milan... at elast a swap for Simao or something like that...

Let's think reallisticly here. Do you really think Benfica would exchange one of their best players for a midfielders who is clearly past his best and only has about 1-2 good years left in him?

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Bye Rui, thanks for some touches of gold you made with us(I still have some little regret since you bearly reach the level you had with Fiorentina, but you still did several good stuff with us). Best of lucks in the future.

gahanthegod

violator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dave Gahan, Martin L. Gore, Alan Wilder, Andy 'Fletch' Fletcher.
vani_pirlo_21 said:
I loved his goal in season 04-05 against Brescia, I think, not sure... awesome how the ball went in...
Yes, superb goal.
A great curve given by him from the left wing.
By the way the match was ended 1-1.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
I remember that he had like 50 assists before he scored for us. I remember this from official site. Anyway his best goal is IMO the one he made against Chelsea in the pre-season. For AC Milan obviously. The goal vs Englang for Portugal was a true brace.

PUPO

Stiamo tornando
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Seedorf, Pippo, Totti, R80, Messi, Sheva
Yuchen Fish said:
Maybe it is the time for us to consider who is the next player to wear "10".

Seedorf of course.
And best of luck to Rui as well.
I never really liked him but he gave a lot to the team.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Jasper said:
I remember that he had like 50 assists before he scored for us. I remember this from official site. Anyway his best goal is IMO the one he made against Chelsea in the pre-season. For AC Milan obviously. The goal vs Englang for Portugal was a true brace.

True, I forgot about that.

zZ[-_-]Zz

¤ Gli Invicibili ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roberto Baggio, Franco Baresi, Marco van Basten
with him... Milan has won a CL trohpy... he is leavin' us with a CL winners medal... i'm happy enough for that reason...

Schedule