:proud:

tumblr_m3gjylEntz1ru2ag8o1_500.jpg

:proud:

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Franco Baresi: How to use your head

Lesson 1: How to use your head

Over the next few issues, I’m going to outline some of the key skills every defender needs to master. This month: when decision-making matters.

Positioning is very important. When marking an opponent, a defender has to be aggressive and step in when the opportunity presents itself.

Assessing your opponent’s characteristics will help you devise a plan. For instance, if you’re playing someone quick, defend deep because if they break you won’t catch them. When they get close to the box, get tight so there’s no space to run into.

You can’t always read the pass and intercept, so you have to practise tackling in training. Play one vs one against a team-mate.

To make the tackle the defender has to be determined, but wary of making a foul. Learning an attacker’s movements will help you second-guess their moves and allow you to make your move swiftly and carefully, as you’re one step ahead.

This is one of the individual skills you must learn. Now, you go practise. Ciao.”

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Franco Baresi: How to defend like a master

Achieve equilibrium with body and mind and you will dominate any opponent – so says the AC Milan and Italy legend, one of the greatest centre-backs to ever play the game

• A healthy lifestyle will boost performance
  • Wait for the right time to make the tackle
  • Don’t let your opponent get a run on you
  • Replace speed with teamwork
  • Be ready for any situation
  • Learn from the best: Barcelona
  • A healthy lifestyle will boost performance
  • Wait for the right time to make the tackle

Be patient

“A defender has to be brave. He has to be prepared to throw himself into tackles and battle with bigger players. You can improve your tackling skills by practising man-to-man combat with one-on-one tackling drills. As a defender you want to be aggressive and determined, but to make your tackles without fouling. If your opponent has the ball and you are the defender, he will try to take the ball away from you. When he makes his move, that’s when you have to act. Wait and intervene at the right time.”

Stay tight

“Marking is a dying art because of the emergence of zonal marking, but I think it’s important for a defender to learn this discipline. When you play zonal marking you’re not watching your opponent, but when a cross comes in you have to look at him – if you don’t, it’s him who scores! So you have to be good at covering ground when necessary. And remember: if a player is bigger than you and good in the air, they may not be very strong technically – so you want to control the game on the ground if you can.”

Work as a team

“How fast you are depends on how you move – forwards, sideways and backwards. To gain an advantage in a one-on-one situation you have to be rapid at turning. It’s not just about being fast as an individual, but as a team. At AC Milan we reached a level where we were one man, moving in line, at the right time, in all directions. In training we used to start one vs one, than two vs two, four vs six, four vs eight. Playing four versus eight taught us how to stop the opposition and forced them to play long ball.”

Prepare for the worst

“Concentration and confidence are fundamental for a defensive player. The more you think as a defender, the more careful you are and the easier it becomes. You know when it’s better to mark your opponent and be aggressive or to take your time. Training is the secret to improving self-belief because you simulate game situations that you will face in a match. Prepare for the worst in training so when it comes to game day you’re calm – you’re prepared. You know how to deal with any situation.”

Attack from the back

“Being comfortable with the ball is important for a defender, because you can start attacks. Press forward with the ball and play short passes into your midfielders, or go direct to your strikers. Players in a well-organised, compact team are never more than 10-15 metres away from each other. When the other side has the ball, you press high up the field as a team. Watch the way Barcelona play – when they lose the ball they immediately press high up the pitch and cause problems for the opposition. Don’t retreat and invite pressure. Be positive.”

Prepare off the pitch

“It’s important to be in good shape. How you look after yourself means a lot. Diet and professionalism are essential if you want to keep playing for a long time. How you train and prepare is just as important as what you do on the pitch. When I prepared and trained well, I was more confident: I’d run out onto the field and I wasn’t afraid. If the team buys into this ethos and you all believe in it, there’s harmony between all the players and the team becomes stronger.

Dawn

Campione d'Mercato
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Albertini, Weah, Nesta, Rino, Kaka, Sheva, Pippo, De Sciglio, El Shaarawy
Watching this again and again! Master of defense!

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Saturday September 8 2012 Baresi's message to Cassano

Milan legend Franco Baresi cast his eye over the current squad and told Antonio Cassano “it’d be better to talk less and play more.”

The defender who won it all with Arrigo Sacchi’s side spoke to Milan Channel on this new campaign.

It certainly isn’t easy to begin again without the players who left this summer, but I am convinced it will be a competitive Milan side this year too,” said Baresi.

I hope Mattia De Sciglio can have a long career with the Rossoneri jersey. I was impressed with Nigel De Jong, as he has technique as well as character.

Naturally, we all hope that Alexandre Pato can quickly get back to full fitness.

Baresi was also asked about Cassano, who criticised his former club after moving to Inter.

I cannot comment on the choices made by other people, as one always has to know the situation from the inside.

However, I can say that at times it’d be better to talk less and play more.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
What a man :proud:

if baresi says it will be fine .. it sure will be :proud: I love franco .. i am sad that i never saw you play :proud:

you are too awesome

ll capitano

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
The greatest Eveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Wednesday October 17 2012 Baresi: Allegri needs more time

Milan legend Franco Baresi has backed boss Massimiliano Allegri to turn things around at the Stadio Meazza.

Allegri’s job is on the line after four losses in their first seven League games, but the former defender thinks he’ll get things right.

Allegri won the Scudetto two years ago and he came second last season,” the No 6 told Sky Sport Italia on Wednesday.

He needs to put together a new team, he needs to gain confidence in the new players and the youngsters who still have to grow. He needs time to get the best out of the players he has.

Patience is needed. A lot of players left at the same time, perhaps too many, and that created some problems.

But I’m certain that Milan will return to their high levels because this club remains a strong one and is dedicated to being competitive. Fans shouldn’t be impatient.

Milan are next in action on Saturday when they travel to in-form Lazio.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
"He needs time to put together a new team again. He has to gain confidence in his players and the youngsters are still developing. He deserves more time so he can get the best out of the team.

Dear Mr Baresi is Allegri's time over now?

Ramzee

Forza Milan per sempre!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
De Sciglio, Ambrosini, SeS, Montolivo.
“Milan this year are a different team,” he told Sky Sport Italia. “There were choices made by the board members to try and instigate a generational change.

“I think, maybe, there were too many changes made at the same time, but the fans will stick with the club.

“This is not an atypical Milan team, but we will see what happens.”

As always I agree with him.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.
Thanks Sod

Baresi :proud:

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
Happy birthday, Legend! :star:

~

Brilliant stuff, Soddy. :thumbsup:

Schedule