2006-2007: Season in review.

censorthiis

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
bobanito said:
Marco Boriello
Can't be compared; the whole drug test thing awhile back—whatever it was, can't remember now—played a part, and he also wasn't signed as something like a hopeful 'replacement' for Shevchenko. He wasn't expected to make much of an impact at all, really, whereas there is clearly disappointment with Oliveira's turnout.

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Borriello barely played this season, so he doesn't really count.

1899vladimir

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldinho, Nesta, Pato, Savicevic,Maldini,Pirlo,Weah, Franco Baresi
Turning point of the season

was vs fiorentina in december
when gourcuff was making the corner kick the tv transmission stoped and after few seconds the transmission was back and i saw gilardino happy it was 2-2

then game after game we were stronger and stronger

then the game at siena 4-3 ambro's header

and in the CL the turning point was the first game with byern . that late goal by van byten gave us more motivation to do better in the second game
also happened with M. united

What I want to see next season
revenge vs Boca
wining serie a and another CL ( this time we'll do it for RONALDO )

censorthiis

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
It's not a match, but I think most would say, if it counts, that our turning point was Malta. Think the players might've said it too. :)

I forgot about that wonderful, albeit short, run around December when Gila suddenly scored all those goals...that was pretty nice.

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Best game: Without question, the 3-0 home thrashing of Man United. That was the one match that got us thinking, "Hey, you know, we could actually win the whole thing once again." We never gave up hope, even after we lost the first leg 3-2 and were seemingly on our way out. The 2-0 win at Bayern is a close second.

Worst games: Inter sweeping the season series for the first time in over 20 years. That had many of us in a despair that maybe our time had indeed passed and Inter were the new kings of Milano. Our Coppa Italia nosedive against Roma (both legs) had me up in arms. I'm not counting the Lille loss because we already had our group sewn up and therefore fielded the second unit.

Best player: Not even close in terms of the CL, and I don't even have to say his name. Without him we may not have even made it out of the knockout round. Then there's Gattuso, simply for being, well, Gattuso. Though he was disappointingly blah in the final, Seedorf was a man possessed in the second half of the season. And the way Sandro picked up from where he left off after the injury, it's as if he'd never left.

Honorable mentions: I'm definitely including you-know-who here. For all the kvetching about his form, he kept us afloat earlier this season and had a bevy of clean sheets when we couldn't score to save our lives, and was outstanding in the CL group stage. Ronaldo gave us a much-needed kick in the pants domestically. Though his play has considerably declined, Maldini contributed the usual and oh-so-important intangibles in his limited match time. Bonera stepped up after an awful start to the season, and Pirlo kept his form steady despite running on fumes after the World Cup. Max regained his Fourth Quarter Ambro (killer in the clutch) status.

Worst player: I'll have to say our biggest dud was Oliveira. Even after the kidnapping ordeal ended, he regularly froze up whenever he got the ball near goal. As usual, Gila and the CL were like hot bacon grease and cold water (oodles of missed shots and The Dive Heard 'Round the World), but I'm cutting him some slack because, his attitude notwithstanding, 15 Serie A goals isn't too shabby. Nobody was expecting Borriello to perform any miracles, but the sheer stupidity that resulted in his doping suspension alone warrants his inclusion.

Disappointment: This may sound anathema to some of you, considering the aftermath of Udinese last week, but Billy's performance in our 3-1 CI loss to Roma stood out the most for me. Two goals were the result of his mistakes and had many wondering if he'd remained for one season too many. Perhaps our expectations of Storari were impossibly off the chart after his debut vs. Livorno, but six goals in the next two appearances isn't going to cut it. He and Oliveira were living proof that a solid debut does not a season make. Dida did have us teetering dangerously on the brink vs. Bayern and ManU, but thankfully turned it around in both return legs. And what on earth were we doing, losing 2-0 to newly-promoted Atalanta earlier in the season?

Expectations before the season started: Let's just say I make a lousy prognosticator. With Juve gone, and given Inter's usual domestic mediocrity, in all honesty I expected Milan to cruise to the Scudetto, with Gila picking up the scoring reins that were left behind by Sheva's desire to learn English. Then Calciopoli. Then the 8 points out the window. And then Inter's unexpected storm through the league. Many of us here even let the word "relegation" slip past our lips. Suddenly, 2007-07 had become the dreaded "transition year." Therefore, hello, third consecutive trophyless season.

Turning point of the season: One fateful stretch in February and March. People were saying how Milan weren't good enough and had an easy CL group (which we did, of course) when we squeaked by Celtic. The 2-2 Bayern draw at home seemed to reinforce this tenfold. Then we blanked them in their own backyard. Ronaldo brought the fire that had been missing from our Serie A campaign for nearly all season. The end of Contractgate finally provided some stability in the keeper stable, and to expect Dida to immediately pull off miracles the very next day against Inter was unrealistic. I attribute all of the above to the much-mocked trip to Malta that incredibly paid off in spades.

Moments: Billy's heartfelt send-off. The fact that there were three English teams in the CL Final Four and all of them went home empty-handed. Carletto's deserved elation following more than 18 months of Galliani's "vote-of-confidence" bushwah. Just the overall feeling that we'd banished Istanbul to the history books, but a small part of that night will forever remain like a scar.

Best transfer: First time in nearly three seasons that offseason and January transfers paid off. Ronnie, well, that's obvious. Gourcuff helped out here and there but he's handcuffed by Carlo's reluctance to play him for large stretches. Favalli went from bust to cult favorite when he magically transmogrified into Favallinho in April. Oddo was a shrewd pickup. Just needs to work on crosses.

Worst transfer: Grimi. What was the purpose of bringing him here, Berlu, other than for him to be our token Argentine and collect butt splinters on the bench?

Best goal: Kaka chugging down the pitch like a bullet train and splitting Artur Boruc's wickets to score the goal that got us into the quarterfinals.

Moment I lost patience with the team: When we once again displayed our recent Coppa Italia ineptitude, losing to AC Arezzo (!) and, as previously mentioned, our horrow show against Roma. Then the stretch back in September-October when the strikers couldn't hit water if they kicked the ball into the Pacific. It was so bad back then that Marek was our leading scorer at the time (with two Serie A goals)! And the agonizing months and months of the management's endless pratter about Buffon and Ronaldinho.

Key factor for CL success: Assuming we're talking about this season, the belief in ourselves. Sounds corny, I know, but it allowed us to end Bayern's 16-year home CL winning streak, and SAF's string of unbeaten return legs following a ManU victory.

What I want to see next season: More of the same late-season form. And the C-word: consistency, especially in Serie A. That's what allowed Inter to lock up the Scudetto so early on. We should not blow off Serie A and save our best just for the CL. At least we'll have Ronaldo for a full season if he can stay healthy. And we MUST accept the fact that 2008 will likely be Paolo's last season. Yes, he's an undisputed Hall of Famer, but you saw his sheer exhaustion as he waited in line to receive his medal. If he plays beyond next season, he'll barely be able to walk. And I've said it a zillion times, but our D needs new blood. Besides the advancing age of Paolo, Cafu is fast becoming Mr. Irrelevant.

Well, that's my take on the season, and forgive me if I forgot anything important.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Best game: The final in Athens, words are unable to express my emotions at finally being able to watch my team win a championship in person.
Worse game: The first Milan derby (4-3 to Merda). Just because we scored 3 goals doesn't make up fo rthe fact that they scored 4 and just embarassed us. I was there and only the last 15 minutes saved me from killing myself...
Best player: Rino gave us the grit, Kaka gave us the flash...
Honorable mentions: ...and the rest of the guys gave us the CL trophy

Worse player: Boriello- idiot
Dissappointment: losing to Merda twice, losing to Roma in the Coppa Italia

Expectations before the season started: Make up those 8 points in the first month, win the scudetto w/o any challange (basically Merda's serie A season)
Turning point of the season: Malta. Cassius and co. had some effect on the team
Moments: Hearing the final whistle in Athens...:proud:
Best transfer: Ronaldo for Serie A, came with a bang, but Oddo for CL AND Serie A. He held that back line together in our time of need.

Worse transfer: Oli.
Best goal: Kaka's 2nd goal against ManU. Oh my god! Just watch the entire sequence. Then watch it again. I'm shocked...
Moment I lost patience with the team: Our home leg against Bayern, ugh.
Key factor for CL success: Clarence was reborn, and nobody could stop Kaka'...

What I want to see next season: The scudetto, the CL trophy, the Coppa Italia, basically every trophy available... and for Il Capitano to go out a winner...:proud:

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Best game: Manu

Worse game: 2 many 2 mention specially in 2006.

Best player: Gatu

Honorable mentions: Dida – Nesta – Kaka – Seedorf - Ronaldo

Worse player: Oli.
And I will add Pirlo & Gila.
Pippo would b there 2 but him scoring in the final saved him from this list.

Dissappointment: Not bringing Zlatan.

Expectations before the season started: CL spot (edited)

Turning point of the season: Ronaldo.

Moments: Ronaldo scoring vs Inter. :D
Also the sign "stcik the scudeto up ur ass" LOOOOOOOOL

Best transfer: Ronaldo.

Worse transfer: Grimi.

Best goal: Kaka vs ManU.

Moment I lost patience with the team: everytime I don’t see Gourcuff as a starter.

Key factor for CL success:
-Seedorf's come back -- > a big sign that he was always UNDERPERFORMING.
-Kaka
-Nesta
-Ronaldo gave a morale boost 2 our player.
-Luck

What I want to see next season: rejuvenation.
Cafu , Sergi , Pirlo , ,Ambro , Gila , Oli , Boriello , Pippo out.
Seedorf saved his season + gain my respect + another chance.
Quality players in.

Last edited:

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
I think our season can be summarized as:

This time last year, our involvement in the Calciopoli + Shave's departure were the leading discussions. Who would have thought, a year later, we would be European Champions + have an even better Number Seven :D

Fantastic emotional year for the Milan faithful.

NobodyCares

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Shevchenko, Nesta, Maldini, Seedorf, Pirlo
Ohk , lets decimate every factor of the season ive covered along with the team.

Best game:: Probably , The Show against Manchester United at Old Trafford , with the best pass-counter attack transition by Milan , by far it beats many stellar performances. Losing out Away in There cage was expected , coming away with 2 goals , even better.
But I also cant exclude the 2nd Leg against Bayern.
Humongous win , 2-2 to 4-2 was incredible. We Saw a true Dutch Master.

Worse game: :Two Common options , Inter2x1Milan and Roma3x1Milan.
Poor performances by the Team's , 1st due to lack of attention and ineptness and 2nd a no-passion involved game.
With Inter it was just like Istanbul , we gave away a lead , and the 4x3 was dissapointing , but atleast we came back to just be a goal down.
Best player:Obviously Kaka , but most of the spirit was brought into the game by the one and only Rino Gattuso.
Worse playerOliviera , was of money , time and Milan jerseys.
Dissappointment Expectation of Not reaching 2nd spot in serie a , and kicking Inters Pussy ass goodbye :mad:
Expectations before the season started: 2ns Spot Serie A, CL Semi's.
Turning point of the season: Malta and Ronaldo. And seedorf's more attacking role.
Moments: Billy and May 3rd. :proud:
Best transfer:Ronaldo and Oddo.

Worse transfer: Grimi , piles.
Best goal: Seedorf vs Man Utd 2nd Leg.
Moment I lost patience with the team: AC Arezzo, Milan 0x2 Palermo, Atalanta 2x0Milan.
Key factor for CL success: Luck.:rolleyes: and Kaka.

What I want to see next season: I dont mind losing out the CL , but A Scudetto this time. Its been long...

NobodyCares

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Shevchenko, Nesta, Maldini, Seedorf, Pirlo
Best Formation we had this season.

-------------Dida------------
-Oddo--Nesta--Maldini--Janku
--------Pirlo-----------------
--Rino-------------Ambro----
-----------------------------
------------Seedorf---------
-------Kaka-----------------
-----------------Ronaldo.

KakatheSublime

Primavera
Reaction score
Best game: Second leg of ManU CL without a question. A close second is the second leg against Bayern.

Worst games: The 4-3 loss to Inter, the game really was not that close, since Inter was winning handily for most of the game.

Best player: Wow, this is really a tough one (believe it or not). Kaka was exceptional in the CL, Oddo made an impact, and of course Ronaldo for the league. Gattuso seemed pretty steady the entire season.

Honorable mentions: Those who held down the fort while several players were unable to play due to injury (Bonera, Kaladze, Ambrosini, Kalac et al.)

Worst player: Oli was by far the worst player of the season.

Disappointment: Gila was probably the biggest disappointment early on and in the CL. Oli gets a mention here as well given that there were a ton of hopes for him.

Expectations before the season started: I have to say that the calciopoli scandal made me lower my expectations and hope that Milan can work their way near the top of the table. I also wanted to see Milan sweep Inter in the league. Of course, I also hoped for them to win the CL, but not sure I can say I "expected" it.

Turning point of the season: I'd have to say the trip to Malta and the new year where many players began to get healthy. In the CL, I would say the turning point was the goal against Celtic. I was not certain that Milan could get past Celtic, but once they did, I started to think that they could go all the way. Even the 3-2 game against ManU and the 2-2 game against Bayern did not dampen my spirits.

Moments: The retirement of Costacurta, the CL title, and Kaka's goal against Celtic.

Best transfer: Oddo. He made the most impact that I could tell in both the League and CL. He gave Milan an imposing outside back who had no qualms getting in on the attack and seemed to be able to get back and defend just as well. Many teams could not find an answer for him (he just needs to work on his crosses, but he still gives opposing defenses fits).

Worst transfer: I would agree with BMWTaylor that Grimi was the worst transfer. Although, that may not be fair because he really did not get much of an opportunity to play.

Best goal: Kaka's goal against Celtic, with his goals against ManU coming in a close second.

Moment I lost patience with the team: The months immediately preceding the Malta trip. The team seemed unable to do anything and appeared to be losing its way. There was nothing going on up front with the strikers and Milan appeared to be going the wrong way in the table.

Key factor for CL success: This may sound crazy, but the arrival of Ronaldo. Even though he was Cup tied, his presence seemed to coincide with Milan's appearing invincible in CL. I don't know if it was his presence in training with Gila, Pippo, and company or if his playing in Serie A allowed others to stay healthy and fresh for CL.

What I want to see next season: I think that we need to obtain another defender or two, along with another striker. I would like to see more of Gourcuf. I would like to see Milan keep Kaladze, but I ma not sure that will happen. With regard to Serie A, I would like to see Milan begin a run to get their second star. With respect to CL, I would like to see Milan show the world that this year was not a fluke and to see Ronaldo play for Milan in the CL.

Faяouk

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Filippo Inzaghi, C Ronaldo, Kaka, Joe Cole, Totti, Recoba, Rui Costa, Pirlo, Gattuso, Maldini, Nesta
Best game: Milan vs Man United in San Siro.

Worse game: Too many to mention.

Best player: Kaka.

Honorable mentions Filippo Inzaghi, Clarence Seedorf & Alessandro Nesta.

Worse player: Alberto Gilardino.

Dissapointment: The defeat to Inter 2-1 after we were one up with Ronaldo scoring.

Expectations before the season started: My expectations were high, that we could win the Serie A & get into the semis of the CL. But after the disappointing start I said that we'd finish 5th in Serie A & get knocked out quickly in the CL, thankfully I was wrong.

Turning point of the season: Christmas break. The camp in Malta, along with the signing of Ronaldo & Oddo.

Moments: Inzaghi's second goal against Liverpool, I was the happiest man on earth and it was just a moment that never happens twice, extreme happiness. Then lifting the cup, having one of my best nights ever... was too happy for Pippo also.

Best transfer: Ronaldo.

Worse transfer: Ricardo Oliveira.

Best goal: Filippo Inzaghi's second goal in the final.

Moment I lost patience with the team First half against Inter when we were 2-0 down, and then Ibra made it three. Soon enough though we had an amazing comeback that made me forget about everything.

Key factor for CL success

1- Kaka.
2- Ancelotti.
3- Seedorf.

What I want to see next season Gilardino, Oliveira, Serignho, Cafu & Brocchi out; signing decent replacements. Signing Eto'o, seeing Pippo getting more playing time, Seedorf to be on same form, Kaka to stay and get the best player in the world award, Pirlo to show us what he's worth, Maldini lifting the CL cup once more, and the Serie A to be ours after humiliating Inter + Juvy.

GW

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gattuso, Flamini, Pippo, Nesta, T. Silva, Pjanic, Begovic, Besic
Best game: Milan vs Man Utd, from the begining till the end of the game Milan toatally dominated in all segments of the game

Worse game: Against Palermo at San Siro when we lost 2-0. Awful perfomance. And of course humiliation against Lille 3-0

Best player: Kaka without any doubt. By far the biggest reason why is Milan CL winner for this season. 2nd best is Gattuso. Had some great games in CL.

Honorable mentions: Nesta, Ambrosini, Seedorf (but only in CL), Oddo and Ronaldo

Worse player: Oliveira, we all know why. Serginho, yeah I know he was injured but he played 4-5 games and he was just bad. I remember against Fiorentina he lost almost every single ball.

Dissapointment: Gilardino. He scored some goals but only one was crucial ( 3rd goal against ManU ). I must mention his dive against Celtic and some unbeliviable misses (best example against Roma at Olimpico when he missed an empty goal ). All of this make me realized that he is never going to be a real star and player on which Milan could count to score 15-20 goals in every season.

Expectations before the season started: 2nd or 3rd place in Serie A , and maybe 1/4 finals in CL.

Turning point of the season: The game against Bayern in Munich. Back then I realized that we really have reasonible chance of wining the CL.

Moments: Maldini liftining a CL trophy :proud: !!! And of course not to forget Ronaldo's goal against Inter :D

Best goal: Kaka 2nd goal against ManU at Old T. Pure class.

Best transfer: Oddo and Ronaldo

Worse transfer: R. Oliveira

Best goal: Kaka 2nd goal against ManU at Old T. Pure class.

Moment when I lost pacience: When we had 4 or 5 straight 0:0

Key factor for CL success: 10 Kaka goals. Seedorf's and Nesta high level of perfomance.

What I want to see next season: Defend of CL and Scudetto. New striker force ( my choice is Berbatov or Toni) and young defender like Alex or Barzagli.

ORez

The Red & Black Army
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Alessandro Nesta
Best game: Milan vs Man United in San Siro.

Worse game: 4-3 lost to Inter.

Best player: Kaka.

Honorable mentions: Seedorf and Inzaghi's last few games in CL, and Ronaldo's revelation in Serie A.

Worse player: Ricardo Oliviera.

Dissapointment: Gave away two leads in the game against Bayern at San Siro.

Expectations before the season started: Not many, not Serie A, not CL, but yes, a UCL spot for the next season. Plus, God-like performances from Pirlo after his amazing WC outting.

Turning point of the season: Christmas break + the signings of Ronaldo & Oddo.

Moments: Inzaghi and Maldini lifting the UCL cup, amazing! Inzaghi deserved it.

Best transfer: Oddo over Ronaldo, as Oddo brought our right-wing back into action in the UCL and Serie A, both!

Worse transfer: Ricardo Oliveira. We has started making these more often than not, last year it was Vieri and Vogel, GOD!

Best goal: Kaka's goal #3 vs Anderlecht at San Siro, his third in the match, amazing right-footed scorcher!

Moment I lost patience with the team: The initial games in Serie A, the draws and the loses...

Key factor for CL success: Mainly Kaka, Sheva's departure, Inzaghi finding his form at the right time, Seedorf's midfield domination, Ancelotti's CL experience, our running out of the Serie A title bid helped us focus more on UCL.

What I want to see next season: Gilardino loaned out to a club that can help him regain his confidence and composure. I want to see Pirlo back to his original amazing form, Gourcuff starting more than Seedorf, a good forward signed - other than Sheva - like Torres or Tevez or Huntelaar, A worldclass centerback, Kaladze starting games as LB more often, Maldini given a coaching contract, and thats about it :)

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
U consider Sheva's departure as a factor 4 winning the CL ? :D
U r taking ur bitterness over him a bit 2 far.

U also wanna give Pirlo more chances than Seedorf next season ? :head:
Seedorf's season is far better than Pirlo’s.
So if any1 deserve 2 play less in midfield = Pirlo.

Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
Best Game: Bayern 2nd leg, many point to Man Utd as our greatest victory, but going to Munich with the cards on the table was the genesis of winning the CL for me.

Worst Game(s): Serie A, I never want to see a Milan side play so poorly throughout the leauge again, it was shamefull

Best Player: Nesta. He pretty much carried the defence on his own this season, without him there would be no open top bus parades.

Very Honorable Mentions:

Kaka: Scored the goals that got us to Athens
Inzaghi: Scored the goals that made us champions in Athens
Gattuso: Kept his head most of the season, brought desire to the squad if nothing else.

Worst Player: Gilardino, many blame Oli, but in truth he played no worse than Gilardino despite having a year less to adjust to Milan, not having the benefit of previous Serie A playing time, and a lot less playing time. This year Gilardino was exposed.

Dissappointment: Serie A

Expectations before the season started: None

Turning point of the season: Beating Bayern away

Moments:
Favalli scoring.
Pippo getting nutmegged minutes before scoring his 2nd in Athens
Rafa throwing his toys out the pram after FT

Best transfer: None

Worst transfer: Oli and Ronaldo

Best goal: Favalli

What I want to see next season:
A fitting send off for Maldini, a Golden Ball (if won by Kaka) given to him as a gesture. If nothing else its because Kaka doesn't actually desserve it after his Serie A form - or complete lack of it I should say

Schedule