***CL CAMPAIGN OPENER*** Play-off leg 1:PSV Eindhoven (1) v AC Milan (1) 20/08/2013

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Associazione Calcio Milan
BR9fH6TCYAEzhWV.jpg:large

As MilanMB was being shy, I decided to open a match thread, I believe its my first one lol

Best of luck to us, though we are Milan and dont need it to get to the CL group stages so bring on PSV :o

Last edited by a moderator:

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
The force is strong with this thread.

We're gonna win!

Sheva0172

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Maldini, Pippo, Nesta
I follow the Dutch Eredivisie, PSV, Ajax and Feyenoord really closely so i will try to make an little report about PSV to help you guys out. Don' t be harsh on me, its just to give you guys a little idea about what and who we are dealing with.

ulladullau

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta and Silva
We will win!

And, we will be starting the Top 3 Rossonero with this game. :)

Azzurrii-08

Also known as: LASER.
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, R. Carlos, Buffon, Seedorf, Zlatan, El Shaarawy, De Sciglio, Totti
I really do not understand how some of you think PSV will be a walk in the park. Maybe I am deluded but I feel like PSV can do some serious damage to us. I hope I am wrong and we will destroy them. I just do not underestimate them.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Not bad. Thank God we didn't get Fenerbache they would be the trickiest opponent..
PSV were very strong last season, but they lost Strootman, Mertens and Lens, but they've brought in Maher.
Their defense is pretty weak and unexperienced, hope Balotelli will be available - that will be decisive.
Abate and Mexes will be ready, well at least that's what Max said. De Sciglio should be as well.

Naraku

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fuck PSV, especially if we get Honda and/or Ljajic!

Reaction score
Not bad. Thank God we didn't get Fenerbache they would be the trickiest opponent..
PSV were very strong last season, but they lost Strootman, Mertens and Lens, but they've brought in Maher.
Their defense is pretty weak and unexperienced, hope Balotelli will be available - that will be decisive.
Abate and Mexes will be ready, well at least that's what Max said. De Sciglio should be as well.
Our defence has actually been quite solid this year. Especially Rekik has been terrific against Fenerbahce, Zulte-Waregem and ADO Den Haag. Quite unlike last year when we were a joke at the back.

Depay and Bakkali have replaced Mertens and Lens quite easily. Especially the 17 year old wonderkid Bakkali has been terrific and got already called up for the Belgian squad.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

Boulevard of broken dreams

@OptaPaolo 11m
6 - AC Milan have met PSV Eindhoven 6 times in the Champions League (3W in the first 3 matches, then 1D and 2L). Draw. #ChampionsLeague

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
21-2 in the title? Dates are 20-21 ... should be clear in 30 minutes which.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
@ChampionsLeague 5m
HEAD-TO-HEAD: @acmilan's record v @PSV reads - P6 W3 D1 L2. They have never conceded a home goal against the Dutch side

taura

Attaccareeee
Reaction score
CL CAMPAIGN OPENER? wait till end of may and rename to CL CHAMPAGNE OPENER :proud:

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
This should be entertaining. They also got a young team.

Sheva0172

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Maldini, Pippo, Nesta
PSV Eindhoven,
As you guys know PSV lost a lot of important players and earned a lot of cash this summer. They sold both of their captains van Bommel and Strootman. They lost their star wingers and internationals, Dries Mertens (Napoli) and Jerman Lens (Dinamo Kiev). Also they’ve sold Dutch international Erik Pieters.

WITH the above guys they barely made second in the Dutch Eredivisie. Sometimes they won big, but every 3 or 4 games they had an complete offday and lost important points for the championship. Most of this was due to their bad defense.

This year they tried a whole new thing. They are starting very young and bright talents and hope to grow as a team. Last year it was all about winning, not about developing players. So instead of short term policy they are looking for the long term.

I will try to analyze the new PSV from defense to attack.

PSV’ s probable starting lineup 4-3-3
Zoet
Brenet – Bruma – Rekik – Willems
Schaars
Wijnaldum – Maher
Bakalli – Matavz - Depay
Defense

Brenet:
Brenet is an extremely unexperienced right back as he only played 2 official games in his career! Attacking wise he is very lively. Defending (like very dutch wingback) there is a LOT to improve
Bruma:
Bruma arrived this summer from HSV (he is owned bij Man City) where he had 2 bad years. He’ s a big fella who is comfortable on the ball. But his positioning isn’ t that good. He loses the striker every now and then.
Rekik:
Rekik also arrived on loan from Manchester City and he impressed me in the first 4 games of this season. He’ s calm on the ball. Confident in his 1 on 1 duels. A very bright talent. His only flaw is his height.
Jetro Willems
This guy is more of an left winger then a left back. Extremely good on the ball, great dribbles but horrible with his tracking back and positioning. He’ s a very lazy left back. He can be a threat for us but also for PSV.

Midfield

Schaars
Extremely mediocre and boring midfielder. He’ s a holding midfielder with limited physical and technical capacities. He’ s the most experienced player in their side but imo one of the weakest.
Wijnaldum
Wijnaldum was destined to be great, to make it to the top. Now 5 years later he’ s still in the Netherlands and his coaches keep changing his position. Wijnaldum is a good dynamic midfielder and he shows up in the opponents box a lot of times. We should keep an eye on his runs.
Maher
PSV’ s most important buy for 6 million. Maher is an incredible talent. At PSV he plays a little less closer to the goal then he normally does. He’ s their playmaker. Imo he is one of the biggest threats for us. Fortunately he (just as Wijnaldum) isn’ t strong and experienced so I’ m convinced Nigel de Jong will neutralize him.

Attack

Bakalli
Tricky right winger who just made his debut for PSV. He played 3 games and impressed a lot. But these games were against Zulte Waregem (2 times) and Ado den Haag (small dutch team) so its difficult to say how he will cope with the pressure of CL playoff and big team like Milan.
Matavz
Typical poacher.
Depay
Along with Maher Depay is PSV’ s biggest asset. He is a tricky winger who likes to cuts inside and unleashes amazing shots.

Conclusion

This PSV side is incredibly inexperienced. They have some great talents (Rekik, Maher and Depay) but none of them ever played and important european match. Their wingers are unpredictable and their biggest danger. Their midfield is physically weak and their backs are awfull defensively so
If you compare their team to ours this will be an easy tie over 2 games, I’ m convinced of that. Montolivo, Balotelli, Niang, and El Shaarawy will be way to much to handle for them.

Hope I could give you guys a bit more information with this post :thumbsup:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
PSV Eindhoven,
As you guys know PSV lost a lot of important players and earned a lot of cash this summer. They sold both of their captains van Bommel and Strootman. They lost their star wingers and internationals, Dries Mertens (Napoli) and Jerman Lens (Dinamo Kiev). Also they’ve sold Dutch international Erik Pieters.

WITH the above guys they barely made second in the Dutch Eredivisie. Sometimes they won big, but every 3 or 4 games they had an complete offday and lost important points for the championship. Most of this was due to their bad defense.

This year they tried a whole new thing. They are starting very young and bright talents and hope to grow as a team. Last year it was all about winning, not about developing players. So instead of short term policy they are looking for the long term.

Zoet
Schaars
Wijnaldum – Maher
Bakalli – Matavz - Depay
Defense

Brenet:
Brenet is an extremely unexperienced right back as he only played 2 official games in his career! Attacking wise he is very lively. Defending (like very dutch wingback) there is a LOT to improve
Bruma:
Bruma arrived this summer from HSV (he is owned bij Man City) where he had 2 bad years. He’ s a big fella who is comfortable on the ball. But his positioning isn’ t that good. He loses the striker every now and then.
Rekik:
Rekik also arrived on loan from Manchester City and he impressed me in the first 4 games of this season. He’ s calm on the ball. Confident in his 1 on 1 duels. A very bright talent. His only flaw is his height.
Jetro Willems
This guy is more of an left winger then a left back. Extremely good on the ball, great dribbles but horrible with his tracking back and positioning. He’ s a very lazy left back. He can be a threat for us but also for PSV.

Midfield

Schaars
Extremely mediocre and boring midfielder. He’ s a holding midfielder with limited physical and technical capacities. He’ s the most experienced player in their side but imo one of the weakest.
Wijnaldum
Wijnaldum was destined to be great, to make it to the top. Now 5 years later he’ s still in the Netherlands and his coaches keep changing his position. Wijnaldum is a good dynamic midfielder and he shows up in the opponents box a lot of times. We should keep an eye on his runs.
Maher
PSV’ s most important buy for 6 million. Maher is an incredible talent. At PSV he plays a little less closer to the goal then he normally does. He’ s their playmaker. Imo he is one of the biggest threats for us. Fortunately he (just as Wijnaldum) isn’ t strong and experienced so I’ m convinced Nigel de Jong will neutralize him.

Attack

Bakalli
Tricky right winger who just made his debut for PSV. He played 3 games and impressed a lot. But these games were against Zulte Waregem (2 times) and Ado den Haag (small dutch team) so its difficult to say how he will cope with the pressure of CL playoff and big team like Milan.
Matavz
Typical poacher.
Depay
Along with Maher Depay is PSV’ s biggest asset. He is a tricky winger who likes to cuts inside and unleashes amazing shots.

Conclusion

This PSV side is incredibly inexperienced. They have some great talents (Rekik, Maher and Depay) but none of them ever played and important european match. Their wingers are unpredictable and their biggest danger. Their midfield is physically weak and their backs are awfull defensively so
If you compare their team to ours this will be an easy tie over 2 games, I’ m convinced of that. Montolivo, Balotelli, Niang, and El Shaarawy will be way to much to handle for them.

:thumbsup:

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
PSV Eindhoven,

Zoet
Schaars
Wijnaldum – Maher
Bakalli – Matavz - Depay
Defense

Brenet:
Bruma:
Rekik:
Jetro Willems

Midfield

Schaars
Wijnaldum
Maher

Attack

Bakalli
Matavz
Typical poacher.
Depay

Conclusion

Great post, thanks man :)

It seems like a very attacking team, especially the mid.
See Allegri, you can actually play an attacking minded mid in the 3 man mid, even 2 as it seems :o

We also need Abate-De Sciglio for this game, not Constant nor Urby.. that'd be a disaster since they're very offensively minded on the flanks.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The official dates: August 20: PSV-Milan. August 28: Milan-PSV. The matches will be played at 20:45 CET. #UCL #ForzaMilan

PSV and Milan

Beginner
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Mark van Bommel
I expect that Cocu will replace Brenet with Arias, since Brenet wasn't very impressive defensively in the matches he played against Zulte Waregem. It's hard to say how good Arias is, as he is another young talent with hardly any experience so far. He played very well in a friendly match against Fenerbahche and was disappointing in the only other match (against ADO Den Haag) he has played so far.

Patri

Kallappam-pothu
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Gennaro Ivan Gattuso
PSV Eindhoven,

Zoet
Schaars
Wijnaldum – Maher
Bakalli – Matavz - Depay
Defense

Brenet:
Bruma:
Rekik:
Jetro Willems

Midfield

Schaars
Wijnaldum
Maher

Attack

Bakalli
Matavz
Typical poacher.
Depay

Conclusion

Awesome! :thumbsup:

PSV and Milan

Beginner
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Mark van Bommel
Schaars

After reading this, I seriously wonder if you have seen PSV play at all this season. I must admit I didn't expect much of Schaars when PSV signed him, but he has been our best player so far. He has been doing above expectations defensively and offensively and, for me, is the biggest surprise in this new PSV squad.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
After reading this, I seriously wonder if you have seen PSV play at all this season. I must admit I didn't expect much of Schaars when PSV signed him, but he has been our best player so far. He has been doing above expectations defensively and offensively and, for me, is the biggest surprise in this new PSV squad.

How many games have PSV played this season? When did they start playing official games?

Schedule