The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan Transfers

AC Milan Transfers Everything related to AC Milan's transfer market goes in here. AC Milan rumours, dream signings and more.

Old 17-01-2021, 10:04   #9441
Raz
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk View Post
I don?t know if you?re right or left footed but I?ll assume you?re right footed. Imagine yourself as the RCB. You can stand up now and imagine you?re standing in a back four, looking ahead and the ball at your feet. Now try to pass to your LCB partner. It?s easy you just pass the ball with the inside of your right foot without doing anything else.

Now imagine yourself as the LCB in the same position and try passing to the RCB. You can?t use your right foot without having to do something silly like passing with the outside of your foot. You would have to either use your weak foot (bad passes in defense are extremely dangerous, especially these days) or you would have to turn your body so that you?re almost facing the direction you?re passing and then pass with your right foot. This movement takes time, and is predictable, so a pressing attacker can exploit it.

It might seem like a very small point to you but this is a really important detail to professionals. Every millisecond counts and shifting your body unnecessarily is very bad.
It really isn't that important.
Some of the best CB pairings in history of the sport were both right-footed.
Baresi-Costacurta, Blanc-Desailly, Vidic-Ferdinand, and many more

Signature
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:04   #9442
IL Diavolo 3
Fester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaMilan View Post
You are talking with someone who puts his age within his name, you can't argue with 10 old years kids nowadays.
Stfu,
IL Diavolo 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:05   #9443
ROSSONERI7
World Cup Winner

Quote:
I don?t know if you?re right or left footed but I?ll assume you?re right footed. Imagine yourself as the RCB. You can stand up now and imagine you?re standing in a back four, looking ahead and the ball at your feet. Now try to pass to your LCB partner. It?s easy you just pass the ball with the inside of your right foot without doing anything else.

Now imagine yourself as the LCB in the same position and try passing to the RCB. You can?t use your right foot without having to do something silly like passing with the outside of your foot. You would have to either use your weak foot (bad passes in defense are extremely dangerous, especially these days) or you would have to turn your body so that you?re almost facing the direction you?re passing and then pass with your right foot. This movement takes time, and is predictable, so a pressing attacker can exploit it.

It might seem like a very small point to you but this is a really important detail to professionals. Every millisecond counts and shifting your body unnecessarily is very bad.
Good discussion. I like it.

I Got you. And yes I?m right footed...
but I still feel it?s a non-problem, over blow thing. And your points even harden that belief to me.

First, when we were talking about passing, I was thinking about progressive passing/build up passing. Forward passing. and you mentioned ?playmaking? in one of your post. But let?s take the scenario you described: passing between CBs

1. As I said before, this is an issue with criminally 1 footed players.

2. CBs don?t often pass to each other under pressure ... most of passing between CBs happen in when going forward trying to start the play, at that time the opposition in defensive mode.
And during those moment you can moonwalk before passing the ball.

3. Now the way you have illustrated your scenario, one would think it?s robots playing.
Players body move and they?re probably never ?square? in the position you?ve described trying to pass to their side. The way a player receives the ball he always make his first control to set his pass. So he?ll be more or less facing the direction he is passing to. 101
I still remember Seedorf trying to teach this simple concept (ball reception) to Nocerino who was catching an attitude.
Most LCBs are right footed, how do they ever do it?

If a player is often in that situation, Standing facing forward trying to pass to the side..we?re no longer talkin LCB RCB ... he should be in Thursday night league at the neighborhood park.
We are talking about pro here right?

I?ll conclude the same way. Most CBs can play either. If they are to switch they?ll normally take a few game to find their angles and things like that.
This is not like playing a different position

Signature
If we win 2020-2021, we'll win 2021-2022
ROSSONERI7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:06   #9444
Charbel
"Il Capitano"

Fav. Players: Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini

Mandzukic to the #Milan , final details. By Tuesday the striker will be Rossoneri @cmdotcom @86_longo

Signature
Previously known as "Soldier"
Charbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:07   #9445
Tobinho
Decisive Hours

La Gazzetta dello Sport focuses on the negotiations for the renewal of Calhanoglu. The meeting on January 13 between the Rossoneri management and the player's agent - we read - will be repeated shortly. Maldini and Massara have risen to 4 million euros in salary in order to extend the agreement expiring in June, the counterpart asks for 5 million. Bonuses, as usual, can nullify distances.
Tobinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:07   #9446
IL Diavolo 3
Fester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post

Simakan - Niang are also right footed.

#justsaying.
IL Diavolo 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:10   #9447
scarecrows
AC Milan Icon

Signature
scarecrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:11   #9448
Raz
AC Milan Icon

Is any other team in Europe suffering as much from covid and injuries as our team? It seems that we're getting it the worst. Why don't Inter and Juve get this kind of bad luck?

Signature
Old 17-01-2021, 10:16   #9449
brk
AC Milan Legend

Quote:
In some cases it doesn't matter. If you're playing out the back against teams that press, then it matters a lot. Also, being right footed doesn't mean you're not comfortable playing easy passes with your left.
brk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:20   #9450
Altafini
Senior Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSONERI7 View Post
Just ignore if you know the discussion will lead to nowhere.
He still posts news which is cool.
I?m sure he?ll sometimes make points that make sense, you could discuss that.
The rest you ignore...you simply don?t feed the Convo on those topics that you know it?ll turn ... as it usually turns
You're right but I made the same point too...I said when he's throwing"tantrums" and also commended his effectiveness as regards the bold posts. I like him though.
Altafini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:21   #9451
Raz
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
In some cases it doesn't matter. If you're playing out the back against teams that press, then it matters a lot. Also, being right footed doesn't mean you're not comfortable playing easy passes with your left.
In vast majority of cases it doesn't matter

Signature
Old 17-01-2021, 10:23   #9452
brk
AC Milan Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSONERI7 View Post
Good discussion. I like it.

I Got you. And yes I?m right footed...
but I still feel it?s a non-problem, over blow thing. And your points even harden that belief to me.

First, when we were talking about passing, I was thinking about progressive passing/build up passing. Forward passing. and you mentioned ?playmaking? in one of your post. But let?s take the scenario you described: passing between CBs

1. As I said before, this is an issue with criminally 1 footed players.

2. CBs don?t often pass to each other under pressure ... most of passing between CBs happen in when going forward trying to start the play, at that time the opposition in defensive mode.
And during those moment you can moonwalk before passing the ball.

3. Now the way you have illustrated your scenario, one would think it?s robots playing.
Players body move and they?re probably never ?square? in the position you?ve described trying to pass to their side. The way a player receives the ball he always make his first control to set his pass. So he?ll be more or less facing the direction he is passing to. 101
I still remember Seedorf trying to teach this simple concept (ball reception) to Nocerino who was catching an attitude.
Most LCBs are right footed, how do they ever do it?

If a player is often in that situation, Standing facing forward trying to pass to the side..we?re no longer talkin LCB RCB ... he should be in Thursday night league at the neighborhood park.
We are talking about pro here right?

I?ll conclude the same way. Most CBs can play either. If they are to switch they?ll normally take a few game to find their angles and things like that.
This is not like playing a different position
I agree with all this, my point was that at a certain point you can only improve a team at the margins, and making sure your LCB has the best possible range of options open to him on his better foot, that's one way of improving.

CB passing to their partner is just one example, but passing forward or into central areas to escape pressure, that's limited also. You have an advantage passing to your fullback, but that's it, all other options are limited because you'll either have to use your weaker foot, or shift somewhat to open up your body. Of course i'm not saying everyone is facing forward all the time, but on average throughout the game in possession yes you are looking ahead most of the time as a CB.

Also, you're right that most of the time when defenders are in possession and the opposition backs down, this is a pointless detail, since they have all the time to think and move, but that's not the situation i'm worried about here. Under pressure the easiest pass is out wide to the fullback, but that's usually the trap most teams set to press, so a pass to your CB partner is usually the safer option to break a press by playing around them. If you have to take a second to adjust to make that pass, and you have someone like Rebic closing you down, you're in trouble.
Old 17-01-2021, 10:23   #9453
Tobinho
Decisive Hours

Can Vulture cook us up some stats on the number of passing errors between CBs that lead to goals where both CBs have the same preferred foot compared to the number when one is left-footed and one right-footed?
Tobinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:24   #9454
Hitchens
Trophies incoming

Fav. Players: Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho

I think ROSSONERI7 really hit the nail on the head with that "criminally one footed" angle vs brk. Most players at this level aren't having this problem. If you play in one of the top 5 leagues you know how to pass a 25m pass with both feet. If you had put Abbiati at CB and tried this out it would have huge significance, because he had one in a million shit ball control.

I played CB until I was 19, and although I understand what he's talking about I played at both sides and this is attributing inflated importance to a small detail.

@brk, I want to commend you on making this point tho. There is value looking for that small edge in todays game.

Signature

Last edited by Hitchens; 17-01-2021 at 10:33.
Hitchens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:31   #9455
Charbel
"Il Capitano"

Fav. Players: Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini

I feel bad for opening up the subject of a LCB

Signature
Previously known as "Soldier"
Charbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:36   #9456
ROSSONERI7
World Cup Winner

Quote:
I agree with all this, my point was that at a certain point you can only improve a team at the margins, and making sure your LCB has the best possible range of options open to him on his better foot, that's one way of improving.

CB passing to their partner is just one example, but passing forward or into central areas to escape pressure, that's limited also. You have an advantage passing to your fullback, but that's it, all other options are limited because you'll either have to use your weaker foot, or shift somewhat to open up your body. Of course i'm not saying everyone is facing forward all the time, but on average throughout the game in possession yes you are looking ahead most of the time as a CB.

Also, you're right that most of the time when defenders are in possession and the opposition backs down, this is a pointless detail, since they have all the time to think and move, but that's not the situation i'm worried about here. Under pressure the easiest pass is out wide to the fullback, but that's usually the trap most teams set to press, so a pass to your CB partner is usually the safer option to break a press by playing around them. If you have to take a second to adjust to make that pass, and you have someone like Rebic closing you down, you're in trouble.
I hear you brother. I guess this come down how much importance we give to the detail you?re mentioning. It?s important to you... to me not at all... it is what it is.

Currently, The best 2 LCB in the world are right footed. I can?t think of any left footed CB you can replace them with and improve their teams.
On the other hand our LCB is is left footed I can name a bunch or right footed CB to put in his position and improve our team...just because they are better defenders

Signature
Old 17-01-2021, 10:36   #9457
Hitchens
Trophies incoming

Fav. Players: Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho

I guess Dalot will really have to prove himself for at least the next two games.

For Hakan this may be a blessing in disguise. He looked like running on fumes these last few games, if he escapes with almost no symptoms he will have a lot of rest and tune himself into a late season run of results.

Signature
Hitchens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:38   #9458
ROSSONERI7
World Cup Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbel View Post
I feel bad for opening up the subject of a LCB
Lol. Why?
It created a topic of discussion l. Civil with good arguments.
That?s why we?re here...until we make our next signing or win our next game lol

Signature
Old 17-01-2021, 10:40   #9459
Pingu
Revolution

Quote:
Is any other team in Europe suffering as much from covid and injuries as our team? It seems that we're getting it the worst. Why don't Inter and Juve get this kind of bad luck?
I don't think so. It's really sad given how well we're doing that we can't catch a break. Other squads have had more covid players out but in batches for like 2-3 games max, while we keep having injuries and covid affecting players spread out. Matchweek 17 and still only fielded a full XI once against Napoli (if you count Rebic as RW over Leao starter). It's really sad.

We *might* get Saele back for tomorrow, but now Theo and Hakan missing. They will be out at least 10 days now. Rebic and Krunic we have no idea on when they return. Bennacer and Gabbia still out for a week or more at least. It's never-ending.

I'd like to see how other teams we compete against would handle such losses week in and week out.
Pingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:41   #9460
brk
AC Milan Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchens View Post
I think ROSSONERI7 really hit the nail on the head with that "criminally one footed" angle vs brk. Most players at this level aren't having this problem. If you play in one of the top 5 leagues you know how to pass a 25m pass with both feet. If you had put Abbiati at CB and tried this out it would have huge significance, because he had one in a million shit ball control.

I played CB until I was 19, and although I understand what he's talking about I played at both sides and this is attributing inflated importance to a small detail.

@brk, I want to commend you on making this point tho. There is value looking for that small edge in todays game.
I don't think it's that extreme, it's an issue that teams are worried about and especially teams that try to play from the back. This and this explain a similar sort of concern. Sure professionals are expected to play easy passes with their weak foot. The problem is when they're under pressure and have no time. Those situations, even for professionals, they make mistakes if they're not comfortable. Past few years this need has become greater, and there's a handful of elite left footed CB's, so the teams that need this sort of edge, they want those defenders.